2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

So I ordered a pretty much stock standard set from TaylorMade back in August (i was fit for KBS tour). Only reason I did that instead of just purchase from B&M is that I got a pretty decent discount but I had to order direct. Hope this doesnt mean my swing weights will be a mess or will my set be built by the custom build team im wondering. Suppose to be here soon!

4 hours ago, ericft said:

Which company sent you the replacement  set with the correct spec?

Mizuno UK.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Two irons had swing weights that were lighter than they probably should be and it was minor.  They were definitely not all over the place and I have owned no less than 10 sets of irons since I started playing - none were spot on from the manufacturer.  

My only point in posting my experience was to highlight how above and beyond TaylorMade went to fix a relatively small issue.  If I had to do it all over again, I would still order the 770s (knowing how long the delivery timeline is) - I don’t think there is another iron out there that checks all the boxes like they do.

• Like 3

For those of you that ordered (and received) a combo set of the P770's and P7mc's, did you notice a big difference in ball flight and distance.   I have a set ordered that are 4-6 770's and 7-pw MC's.   The more I think about it the more concerned I get about having a big yardage gap between the 6 and 7 irons.

Just now, dre72 said:

For those of you that ordered (and received) a combo set of the P770's and P7mc's, did you notice a big difference in ball flight and distance.   I have a set ordered that are 4-6 770's and 7-pw MC's.   The more I think about it the more concerned I get about having a big yardage gap between the 6 and 7 irons.

I wouldn't be worried, my friend.  You may need to bend a degree or two but I was able to combo a set of 770s (4,5) and MC(6) into my set of TW blades (which has very, very weak lofts).  I even checked with some guys in the iron R&D department of TM and they thought the gapping was great.  You might have to think through what to bend a degree weak or strong but you can absolutely manage with just those two models.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dre72 said:

You may be fine, but if you didn't request it already, may want to adjust the 6 iron 1 degree weak. The chart Taylormade put out on how to combo I think suggest for your combo setup: .5 weak on the 5 iron and 1 degree weak on the 6 if I am reading it correctly.

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/en_US/v1601625922263/TaylorMade/Product_Specs/P_Series_Combo_Guide.pdf

• Like 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

7 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

August 24th...expected ship date was Nov 6th. So hoping they arrive early.

Sounds like maybe i will be next to get notified, most likely next Monday or early next week.. 🙂  9/2 order and 11/16 ship date.. 🙂  we can hope anyway.. I'm still hitting the range in these parts despite being in the northeast..

• Like 1

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

Even though we got some snow yesterday here in KC, the forecast for the next few weeks looks very good to get out and play.  Hoping somehow mine arrive early as well.  I've enjoyed reading all of the feedback on here as well.  Sounds like exactly what I was hoping for.  

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

I'm coming from original P 790s so has anyone done a three way combo of 770/MC/MBs? Say:

5-7 in 770s

8-9 in MCs

PW in MB

I'm looking for higher spin higher launch mid irons 

I hate the wide sole in my lower irons especially 9 and Pw. Hate my 790 Pw for that reason. 

I'd soft step the MB Pw shaft to raise launch/spin.

Rest of the shafts would be KBS C Taper Lite straight in.

Thoughts.......? 

My original plan for these was:

4, 5 P770

6, 7 P7MC

8, 9, PW P7MB

We'll have to see what is available in the spring

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

On 10/26/2020 at 1:28 PM, dre72 said:

I have 3-5 iron in 770 and 6-PW in P7MC and nothing to worry about and I haven't noticed a yardage gap. To match the lofts I went 1* strong in the P7MC and .5* weak in the P770. 

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

On 10/26/2020 at 2:07 PM, halfsumo said:

You may be fine, but if you didn't request it already, may want to adjust the 6 iron 1 degree weak. The chart Taylormade put out on how to combo I think suggest for your combo setup: .5 weak on the 5 iron and 1 degree weak on the 6 if I am reading it correctly.

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/en_US/v1601625922263/TaylorMade/Product_Specs/P_Series_Combo_Guide.pdf

1 hour ago, TK3309 said:

I have 3-5 iron in 770 and 6-PW in P7MC and nothing to worry about and I haven't noticed a yardage gap. To match the lofts I went 1* strong in the P7MC and .5* weak in the P770. 

So I went to GG today and hit both the MC and the 770 to compare.  I tend to be a bit of a low ball hitter so the fitter and myself both think that weakening the lofts on the 770's is the way to go vs strengthening  the mc's.  In the 7 iron head the 770 was consistently 5-7 yards longer than the mc, mainly due to the spin, or lack thereof.  So I am thinking adding 1* to the 4 iron and 1.5 to the 5 and 6 iron.  adding a little height and spin in the long irons should help hold a few more greens.  I am not chasing distance purely but a little help in the longer irons can't hurt.

The surprise of the fitting session was how similarly the Modus 105 was to the 120.  Launch and spin were nearly identical in both heads.  I did prefer the feel of contact with the 120's though and seemed to get into a better rhythm with them.  In a past set of irons the Modus 125's were the best set of shafts I had ever played and really wanted to like the 105's since they have very similar EI profiles.  For some reason I did tend to turn the ball over a hair more with the 120's vs the 105's??  Any ideas why?   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dre72 said:

So I went to GG today and hit both the MC and the 770 to compare.  I tend to be a bit of a low ball hitter so the fitter and myself both think that weakening the lofts on the 770's is the way to go vs strengthening  the mc's.  In the 7 iron head the 770 was consistently 5-7 yards longer than the mc, mainly due to the spin, or lack thereof.  So I am thinking adding 1* to the 4 iron and 1.5 to the 5 and 6 iron.  adding a little height and spin in the long irons should help hold a few more greens.  I am not chasing distance purely but a little help in the longer irons can't hurt.

The surprise of the fitting session was how similarly the Modus 105 was to the 120.  Launch and spin were nearly identical in both heads.  I did prefer the feel of contact with the 120's though and seemed to get into a better rhythm with them.  In a past set of irons the Modus 125's were the best set of shafts I had ever played and really wanted to like the 105's since they have very similar EI profiles.  For some reason I did tend to turn the ball over a hair more with the 120's vs the 105's??  Any ideas why?   

Ryan, I know you're hellva player and hope you had fun playing with Addy, a friend of mine's from my home club couple days ago. I had 2020 P770 with Modus 120 stiffs at end of August and I found that I was drawing it too much for my liking, sold it to get my money back. It did feel good though so I stayed with my P760 with DG 120 S300 that gave me too low ball flight in my mid irons. Not long ago, I picked up T100 with Modus 105 stiff at a great price, I hit it very nicely but felt almost too light, I will keep it for further testing. My pro got me P790 with Modus 120 at +1/4" and 1* weak, I did like it but it goes almost too long for my liking.  770 does look great and easy to hit. I wish I tried them out with a different shaft, it is just my opinion.

But to answer your questions as I'm more of a feel player than technical player, I did draw more with Modus 120 than 105, I don't know why. Both did feel good and gave me good feedback. I did play with J15CB with Modus 120 from 2015 until last year, I played for a slight draw. At least I knew where it was going. I wish I had MC to try out as I have not seen it yet.

I guess I have whole winter to decide what in the fr!cking hell I'm doing. Ha

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

So i got my 4/5/6 MCs and they all had serial number stickers on them along with headweights. Checked the serials and they are alll xxxxTxxxx so Looks like they pulled my heads from tour stock. D3.8 at standard length with no tip weights modus 120stiff

Also got 5-PW MBs to possibly make combo set but the MBs  couldn't beat out my 2011 MB gamers 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jwb10 said:

anybody hit them with MMTs  ?

P7MC's 4-PW w/ MMT 105TX ss*1, if so, then yes. Everything I could ask for in feel and performance

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

42 minutes ago, jwb10 said:

Give me more and how did you get 105s ??

Had the 105TX's pulled from another build I had done through Will Peoples (Apex Pro double dot raw).  The only way you'll get these shafts into a set like this is to have a club builder do it.  

50 minutes ago, jwb10 said:

Give me more and how did you get 105s ??

I got my current 105 tx's built by fairway jockey. Easy way to order. They just told me they could definitely fulfill an order for 770's before the end of the year.  (new Callaway irons have MMT 105tx as no-upcharge it appears....)

• Like 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

11 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

no upcharge?!?

Absolutely an upcharge.  $65 per club.  Think of it like buying the set at MSRP from the manufacturer, and then upgrading the shafts through a third party.  As far as I know, no one can order just heads, so full clubs are ordered, shafts removed and new shafts and grips are installed

Quick update my CC was charged on Monday. It showed clubs were done and packed when I checked online and now ready to be shipped. Im thinking cool maybe I will get them before the shipped date of Nov 6th that I was previously told. But I still havent received any shipping info so I just got called TM and he confirmed the clubs are built and awaiting to be processed for shipping sometime soon. He could'nt give me a date. He said clubs get built in Mexico and then shipped to San diego then from SD they go to the customer. He said sometimes there are delays at Mexican border. Bummer!

Maybe TM should wait to say the clubs are done until they are actually shipped from San Diego. I had my hopes up I would have them by Friday as they have 2 day shipping. But now I expect them by the original Nov 6th estimate 😒

14 minutes ago, nikeblades00 said:

Quick update my CC was charged on Monday. It showed clubs were done and packed when I checked online and now ready to be shipped. Im thinking cool maybe I will get them before the shipped date of Nov 6th that I was previously told. But I still havent received any shipping info so I just got called TM and he confirmed the clubs are built and awaiting to be processed for shipping sometime soon. He could'nt give me a date. He said clubs get built in Mexico and then shipped to San diego then from SD they go to the customer. He said sometimes there are delays at Mexican border. Bummer!

Maybe TM should wait to say the clubs are done until they are actually shipped from San Diego. I had my hopes up I would have them by Friday as they have 2 day shipping. But now I expect them by the original Nov 6th estimate 😒

Clubs are built in Mexico?

2 hours ago, Ray Jackson said:

Clubs are built in Mexico?

IMG_0195.jpeg

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

Ordered 8/16 and my P770's shipped yesterday (10/28)...hoping to have them before the weekend and I'll post a review against my current Titleist T100 - both sets have PX 6.0

Edited by keith723
  • Like 3

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"