2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

I couldn't take the waiting and not hitting so I just set up the indoor hitting area again and spent the last couple nights crushing some balls.  This is a Net Return Pro 10x10 Net with a country club elite real feel 5x5 mat and if you haven't tried one of these mats before, you have to try it... Fat and thin shots feel true with it and is evident when the ball mark is way up on the club face, not something really possible on hard mats.  

Now that I have spent time with the clubs I have to say they are really powerful.  You need good ball speed and good center contact but when achieved these clubs sound powerful and feel amazing!  I don't think I could go back to hitting my old clubs anymore now that i am starting to achieve consistent shots cause the feel on good strikes is outstanding and soft.  NO COMPARISON!

HPIM5038.JPG.26f70c6cea60b927b9f011bc846e2ba3.JPG

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:29 PM, mholmstrom said:

Christmas came early today, TM P7 MC's arrived and took them for a spin on the range. I was fitted with Nippon Modus Pro S, 130g. 6i Fitting specs w/ P7-MC's were 86 mph swing speed, 123 ball speed, and 1.44 smash factor.  I'm coming from a 10+ year old set of Ping i20's,, black dot w/ stock Ping CFS stiff 110g shafts. 

Right off the bat, first thing I notice is softer, buttery feel and more stable face at impact, likely due to better shaft fit. Another thing I noticed is how much straighter ball flight was, point and shoot. Again, I think the better shaft fit has a lot to do with ball flight and tighter dispersion pattern, but these irons are way more forgiving than people give them credit for. I've heard a lot of talk about how they might not be very forgiving, but coming from 10+ year old Ping cavity backs, technology has come a long way, and even though these TM irons are a more forged style, I feel like they are way more forgiving than the pings. Just my .02. Will give them a spin on the course tomorrow.

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

Not sure you care but the modus line doesn’t indicate weight. The 130s in stiff are 124g. The modus 125 are the 129g shafts. Might be useful for you if you ever fit into different shafts.

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

6 hours ago, Magnificat said:

I couldn't take the waiting and not hitting so I just set up the indoor hitting area again and spent the last couple nights crushing some balls.  This is a Net Return Pro 10x10 Net with a country club elite real feel 5x5 mat and if you haven't tried one of these mats before, you have to try it... Fat and thin shots feel true with it and is evident when the ball mark is way up on the club face, not something really possible on hard mats.  

Now that I have spent time with the clubs I have to say they are really powerful.  You need good ball speed and good center contact but when achieved these clubs sound powerful and feel amazing!  I don't think I could go back to hitting my old clubs anymore now that i am starting to achieve consistent shots cause the feel on good strikes is outstanding and soft.  NO COMPARISON!

HPIM5038.JPG.26f70c6cea60b927b9f011bc846e2ba3.JPG

Man that's just scary... Marshall heads and 4x12s in the line of fire. I hope that net is seriously strong. I couldn't do that to my Friedmans. 😀

• Haha 1

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

Ok, so just picked up my PW and AW from my order, await 8&9 P770 and 4-7 P790.

Had 2x TP5 and 2x TP5X thrown in for the additional delay, not sure if more will come when the rest of the irons arrive. Certainly appreciate the gesture.

As mentioned previous, I had the 770's bent to 790 loft.

Not yet checked the spec received, but based on offset alone, looks like they have been made stronger.

I'm never one to worry about offset etc, but this did seem quite noticeable when I just put it down on my carpet in the office, maybe due to using Mizuno True's for the last few months...but those have higher offset in short irons, so not sure I can blame that.

Clubs look great  - I can't wait to give them a bash. I notice on my PW the same as on my old P790 PW that in the toe area you can see where the forged face has been 'welded' on - i.e. the smooth grooveless area of the Toe reflects the light in a way that shows the imperfection.

I'll add some pics asap for those interested in the 770 short irons, and perhaps the change in offset (again can't confirm TM have changed the lofts as requested)

21 minutes ago, Re*Ax said:

To my eyes, the offset I see in my hand is greater than these photo's show.

Again, I'm not complaining and neither do I want to put anyone off - I'm very happy with the look at Address.

I think that the measured offset isn’t high but the way it’s blended and the neck transition makes it look way more than it is. I was surprised at how offset these look overall. I am *extremely* sensitive to offset though. 

45 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I think that the measured offset isn’t high but the way it’s blended and the neck transition makes it look way more than it is. I was surprised at how offset these look overall. I am *extremely* sensitive to offset though. 

Yeah agree on the neck transition. It’s a good look for me, the more I hold them the more I like them.

I’ve  tried to capture the anomaly on the face of the PW; this pic is the best I can do. 90% of the time I won’t notice it, but when the reflection hits a certain way, it could be distracting. 

you’ll hopefully make out the ‘crease’ in the rounded toe area 

5AB9EBDD-36DA-43A6-9263-3D5F5A3EE0F4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Re*Ax said:

Yeah agree on the neck transition. It’s a good look for me, the more I hold them the more I like them.

I’ve  tried to capture the anomaly on the face of the PW; this pic is the best I can do. 90% of the time I won’t notice it, but when the reflection hits a certain way, it could be distracting. 

How strong did you bend them?

3 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

How strong did you bend them?

They *should* be 790 Spec, so these 2 irons both should be just 1* strong.

Having not seen the short irons before I cannot say what impact the loft change had on the offset, hence the pictures that I think someone wanted to see...cannot wait for the rest of the set to arrive

Just now, Re*Ax said:

They *should* be 790 Spec, so these 2 irons both should be just 1* strong.

Having not seen the short irons before I cannot say what impact the loft change had on the offset, hence the pictures that I think someone wanted to see...cannot wait for the rest of the set to arrive

Interesting doesnt look too bad to me. Debating getting the 770s and I would have to bend them strong based off how high they seem to launch 

1 minute ago, TrueWRX said:

Interesting doesnt look too bad to me. Debating getting the 770s and I would have to bend them strong based off how high they seem to launch 

Like I say I've not checked them fully yet so can't be 100% they have moved.

Will confirm asap and also put pics of others when I get them, as the 8 iron will be a 2* and 9 a 1.5* move.

6 hours ago, Re*Ax said:

I am sure someone in the group can post a picture of their iron because i seriously doubt they are all like this one.  Is this the only club with the anomaly or is it all the clubs in the set?  Can someone post a closeup of their pw face to verify so Ax has some options...

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

4 minutes ago, Magnificat said:

I am sure someone in the group can post a picture of their iron because i seriously doubt they are all like this one.  Is this the only club with the anomaly or is it all the clubs in the set?  Can someone post a closeup of their pw face to verify so Ax has some options...

I’ve only received 2 clubs so far. I had same issue on the PW on my 2017 P790’s.

The AW doesn’t have same issue.

As a side note, can anyone comment on accuracy of loft and lies received from TM? It’s going to be a while until I can get to a club builder to check mine 

As I was mulling over the idea of going TM combo with P770 and P7MC I read all of this threads pages.  My MC's have not arrived yet, but the 770's have.  I was concerned hearing the comments that the 770's were going to be lacking in strike satisfaction.  I also did not like at all the "hollow feel" of the TMB and the MP 20 HMB.  Having hit the 770 now, I must say,

I go very positive in the feel dept.   I thought the 770 impact was surprisingly sharp and crisp. 

Certainly not the solid forged feel of a "blade" , but a very satisfying sound and feel in your hands.  Hard to describe. 

But to me, not hollow at all.  I'm super happy.  Powerful flight, pretty easy to work.  Looking forward to the MC's.  

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed 9* 
Titleist TS2 15

Titleist TS2 21
Titlleist 913 H  27 deg.
New Level 902 PD  6 - PW

Vokey SM5 58, 50
Pro V1x Left Dash

For those who are using P770's, I'm curious how you approached wedges?

I'm coming from Titleist 704 CBs and was recently fitted into P770's. The fitter strengthened the lofts slightly and my PW is now at 45* (1* stronger) and I'm faced with a weird issue where it seems like a high iron has gone missing! The Titleist set has two clubs in the 40* range (9i and PW) whereas for the TMs I only have my 45* PW. 

Wondering whether others have run into this issue? I'm debating whether to bend the PW 1* further to 44* and then add another wedge to go 44/48/52/56/60 or stick to my current setup of 46/50/54/58

1226601553_ScreenShot2020-12-25at6_10_50PM.png.22a53b654106e86c730a4e1af2693f53.png

Edited by blam89

1 hour ago, blam89 said:

I'm coming from Titleist 704 CBs and was recently fitted into P770's. The fitter strengthened the lofts slightly and my PW is now at 45* (1* stronger) and I'm faced with a weird issue where it seems like has gone missing! 

Wondering whether others have run into this issue? I'm debating whether to bend the PW 1* further to 44* and then add another wedge to go 44/48/52/56/60 or stick to my current setup of 46/50/54/58

1226601553_ScreenShot2020-12-25at6_10_50PM.png.22a53b654106e86c730a4e1af2693f53.png

I’m using the 50/54/58 set up, but I kept my lofts stock.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

2 hours ago, blam89 said:

I'm coming from Titleist 704 CBs and was recently fitted into P770's. The fitter strengthened the lofts slightly and my PW is now at 45* (1* stronger) and I'm faced with a weird issue where it seems like has gone missing! 

I have the set GW and then use a 55 and 60

5 hours ago, blam89 said:

I'm coming from Titleist 704 CBs and was recently fitted into P770's. The fitter strengthened the lofts slightly and my PW is now at 45* (1* stronger) and I'm faced with a weird issue where it seems like a high iron has gone missing! The Titleist set has two clubs in the 40* range (9i and PW) whereas for the TMs I only have my 45* PW. 

i went back and got the 51 770 approach wedge. More consistent on full shots for me than my vokey, especially heavy shots, just flows through turf so well. Have started to use it for all normal  pitch shots and even some chips. 56 and 60 vokeys for trickier lies or short sided etc. 

• Like 1

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

8 hours ago, alpineto said:

Anyone demoed the p770's and the p7mc which one did you prefer and why , I'm in the market for a new set of irons 

thanks for your replies .

I prefer the softer feel of the p7mc and the ability to work the ball a little. I noticed that the p770 felt harsher and just wanted to go straight. That was with the demo 7 iron only. 

I did a fitting last weekend, and the fitter started me with the p770.  We hit a lot of shots with it, while we narrowed down the shaft choice.  I thought the feel was pretty good with them.  They didn't spin enough for me though, no matter what shaft we put in them.  That might explain why they fly so straight.  They certainly didn't move much for me.

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

On 12/25/2020 at 11:53 PM, Copacetic said:

i went back and got the 51 770 approach wedge. More consistent on full shots for me than my vokey, especially heavy shots, just flows through turf so well. Have started to use it for all normal  pitch shots and even some chips. 56 and 60 vokeys for trickier lies or short sided etc. 

Agree the A wedge is great for full shots and chip and runs from tight lies due to  the sole.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:57 PM, alpineto said:

Anyone demoed the p770's and the p7mc which one did you prefer and why , I'm in the market for a new set of irons 

thanks for your replies .

Keep in mind this is just my personal experience based on my swing tendencies and delivery .. 

I was fitted for the P770s.  Received them and played approximately 10 rounds with them.  Played great with them and found them very forgiving. I just had two concerns 1) For me these irons go straight; I always play a draw and I found it a little hard to draw the ball.  So this just messed with me mentally as I still expect it to draw, lol.  Now this is just me, I'm sure a better ball striker can probably make this happen.  2) Feel: I'm coming from AP2s and Ping Blueprints it was hard getting used to the feel of the 770s. This is not a knock on the club as this is how its constructed, its not meant to compete with a forged feel, so I get it.

I originally wanted the 770s in order to play a more forgiving club than I'm used to. I ended up going back to get fit again and ended up trying the P7MCs this time (did not try them originally). LOVED them and ended up selling my P770s.  Found the P7MC more workable, my draw is back!!!! And I loved the higher spin numbers (for my game). More importantly (for me) I now have better feel at impact and know immediately when I hit a good or bad shot. The P770s are a great set of irons, I guess I just couldn't get over the feel and not being able to work the ball.  

I just received part of my order of P770 and MC’s. I went 4-7 in the 770 and the rest MC. I had the 4 iron, which I like, and just got the 6 iron. I was a little surprised to see how much offset the 6 iron had, even after I ordered it a degree weak. 

I started looking at some numbers to compare them to other irons I’ve recently played. The 770 pitching wedge has more offset than my ping S55 4 iron. 

I just don’t understand why we can’t get low offset low/mid hcp irons. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong areas. 

Was anyone else a little surprised by the offset?

(for the record, I’m going to give them an honest go once they all arrive)