2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

13 minutes ago, hwturner17 said:

I just received part of my order of P770 and MC’s. I went 4-7 in the 770 and the rest MC. I had the 4 iron, which I like, and just got the 6 iron. I was a little surprised to see how much offset the 6 iron had, even after I ordered it a degree weak. 

I started looking at some numbers to compare them to other irons I’ve recently played. The 770 pitching wedge has more offset than my ping S55 4 iron. 

I just don’t understand why we can’t get low offset low/mid hcp irons. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong areas. 

Was anyone else a little surprised by the offset?

(for the record, I’m going to give them an honest go once they all arrive)

You’re comparing inches to MM I think 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

You’re comparing inches to MM I think 

Interested myself so did a little digging and here's what I found b/w S55 and P770.  Lucky for you hwturner17 you went 8-PW in MC.

S55 4 iron offset = 0.15'' = 3.81mm

S55 7 iron offset = 0.09'' = 2.286mm

S55 PW offset = 0.03'' =  0.762mm

P770 4 iron offset = 3.3mm

P770 7 iron offset = 2.4mm

P770 PW offset = 1.6mm

39 minutes ago, Corey Pavins Moustache said:

Interested myself so did a little digging and here's what I found b/w S55 and P770.  Lucky for you hwturner17 you went 8-PW in MC.

P770 PW offset = 1.6mm

Seems like that offset would be nearly discernible besides the PW. 

2 hours ago, Corey Pavins Moustache said:

P770 PW offset = 1.6mm

Damn imperial system! That’s really interesting that it’s so close. It must be the glare on the hosel transition that’s making it stand out more than the S55. 

P770 5 through AW has arrived correct to spec 22 days after the order was placed. Surprised but quite pleased to have them now, still waiting on the P790 4i to come back 1* upright. I won't be able to hit them for another week or so but I can't wait to dial in the yardages.

• Like 1

Just placed an order of the 770s to TM, got a pretty sweet deal on them. I was pretty torn between these and the ZX5's, but figured I'd give these a try as they would probably be a little easier to move if it doesn't work out. 5-pw, will keep my MG2 AW and might go P790 3 & 4 iron down the road. 

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

On 12/30/2020 at 9:07 PM, Aleriooon said:

P770 5 through AW has arrived correct to spec 22 days after the order was placed. Surprised but quite pleased to have them now, still waiting on the P790 4i to come back 1* upright. I won't be able to hit them for another week or so but I can't wait to dial in the yardages.

I think they have a shortage of the stock grip now. Did you order an alternative grip on the clubs? 

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

I hit the 770s today along with many others.  Hands down a winner.  Blown away with the feel, height, spin, and distance.  I may hit them a touch high.  Still thinking shaft options.  I could only hit kbs tour s and x, the $ taper wasn't available.  

I also didn't hit the 7mcs.  It blows me away they don't have P, 7, and 4 available to hit.  

I almost placed an order, still thinking.  Maybe I go P7mc in p to 8.  My concern is will they blend ok.  The 770 seem so hot, is the p7mc as hot.

For those blending the two did the gaps work ok?

16 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I hit the 770s today along with many others.  Hands down a winner.  Blown away with the feel, height, spin, and distance.  I may hit them a touch high.  Still thinking shaft options.  I could only hit kbs tour s and x, the $ taper wasn't available.  

I also didn't hit the 7mcs.  It blows me away they don't have P, 7, and 4 available to hit.  

I almost placed an order, still thinking.  Maybe I go P7mc in p to 8.  My concern is will they blend ok.  The 770 seem so hot, is the p7mc as hot.

If you like the mc's, I wouldn't blend them.  I would just get a 770 or 790 4 iron/3 iron.  If you need the forgiveness of the p770 under a 5 iron, I would go with the whole set being 770s.  There is going to be a major launch/spin gap in your set not matter what you do and you are already worried about hitting the 770s too high.

The only time I would blend the 770s is if you are really trying to stretch out the distances at the top of your bag to make up for a 4 wedge set up.  There are a couple guys on tour with bags set up like this.  It is also how I have my bag set up.  

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

I play 770s in 4-pw with KBS tours. I will say the PW,9 and 8 don't feel hot like the 7 iron and on down, and therefore to me are good flag hunting scoring clubs. IMO.

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

The P770 is the hot face....

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I don’t find the short irons hot in the P700.  In 8 iron and down don’t have tungsten or the speed slot.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

30 minutes ago, Hougz79 said:

I don’t find the short irons hot in the P700.  In 8 iron and down don’t have tungsten or the speed slot.  

Does gapping become a problem between 8 and 7?  I like the extra speed 7 and below provide but don't want a huge gap.  Guessing a small tweak of lofts if required would tighten it up.

7 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Does gapping become a problem between 8 and 7?  I like the extra speed 7 and below provide but don't want a huge gap.  Guessing a small tweak of lofts if required would tighten it up.

I didn’t notice much of any change in my yardages compared to my previous i210s.  For me the yardage progression is normal.  The extra loft of the 770s really make them consistent compared to the 790s they always get compared to.  

Edited by Hougz79

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

4 hours ago, TrueWRX said:

How’s the 4 iron? Debating going 790 there 

I like the 770 4 iron I get great ball speeds and really hit mid traj bullets. I have also hit the 790 4 iron and they are also very good clubs. The 790 4 iron is even more forgiving and you have to do something really wrong to not hit it somewhat straight and long. 

Anyone have the 770 4 iron blended with a 5-pw p7mc? I am debating this to get a little more distance to cover 190-205 instead of my p7mc 4 iron which is more 185-195. I am just worried about the change in feel being hard to adjust to. Love the feel and thin sole of the p7mc and wonder about the thicker sole of the p770 and firmer feel. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ericft said:

Anyone have the 770 4 iron blended with a 5-pw p7mc? I am debating this to get a little more distance to cover 190-205 instead of my p7mc 4 iron which is more 185-195. I am just worried about the change in feel being hard to adjust to. Love the feel and thin sole of the p7mc and wonder about the thicker sole of the p770 and firmer feel. 

I have this exact setup..with C-Taper 120 shafts.

I actually also have the P7MC 4 iron too but it still has the wrapper in as the P770 is so easy to hit.

I think in the longest irons then feel is not the biggest thing as the added forgiveness is nice to have!

8 hours ago, ericft said:

I don't think change in feel is a big deal at all for a 4 iron.  They def will flow nicely looks wise. Plus extra forgiveness is always easy to adjust too.  You might have to tweak the gapping just a touch between the 5 and 4 iron.

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/en_US/v1609578384562/TaylorMade/Product_Specs/P_Series_Combo_Guide.pdf

Recommended combo guide for loft adjustment for those interested.  It’s a decent starting point for sure.

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

I went ahead and ordereded a 4 thru gap 770 set.  Decided not to blend.  I went in wanting the $ taper, but ended with tride and true project x.  They just go, but are very consistent.  The launch and height is awesome, but I'm not overspinning them with px.  

Should have them in 2 to 3 weeks.  We'll see.

Yes I paid more but I've got 90 days to switch if I want to.  They'll also check all swing weight, lie, and lofts. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I went ahead and ordereded a 4 thru gap 770 set.  Decided not to blend.  I went in wanting the $ taper, but ended with tride and true project x.  They just go, but are very consistent.  The launch and height is awesome, but I'm not overspinning them with px.  

Yes I paid more but I've got 90 days to switch if I want to.  They'll also check all swing weight, lie, and lofts. 

Well in true golfwrx fashion I decided to hardstep the 5.5 as I was in between 6.0, but like the weight of the 5.5.

Edited by Nick_E

15 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Well in true golfwrx fashion I decided to hardstep the 5.5 as I was in between 6.0, but like the weight of the 5.5.

Congrats man! great Irons. I've had mine about 2 months now and about 12 rounds and 6 range sessions. I'm finally starting to really get them dialed in.  I couldn't tell on the course if I picked up any distance as it's cold weather golf but a couple weeks ago I got on trackman and I've easily picked up about a half a Club. Most impressive is the dispersion and how good the misses are. These things are so pretty some nights I go down in the basement to just hug them!🤣

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Nice! I’m sooo close to just ordering a set. I’ve been waiting to see what Ping and Callaway have coming. I’m in no hurry now but want to make sure I get my new irons by season start.

12 hours ago, Zonazoo said:

I really like the clean look of the new 770’s. Wondering if many people are going to combo these with the 790’s?

I am too. 790 4-6 and 770 7-AW

Ping G425 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 

TM Sim Max 15* - Fuji Ventus Blue

TM GAPR Lo 19* - KBS Hybrid Proto

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

TM P770 7-AW - Nippon 105

TM MG 54* & 58* - Dynamic Gold

TM Spider X Flow Neck Hydroblast

Titleist -ProV1x