Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

I am surprised the MC doesn't get more love, I recently tested it for the first time and was very impressed with performance and feel 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

19 minutes ago, craz-e said:

I am surprised the MC doesn't get more love, I recently tested it for the first time and was very impressed with performance and feel 

I thought it was awesome, probably the best looking players cavity? For me they had a surprising amount of pop for an iron its size but I couldn't get the spin down, and they are for sure way less forgiving when you put them beside a ZX7 or a 921 Tour even.

• Like 1

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

I finally got my 770 set this week. Ordered in mid December so I have been waiting patiently. I am coming from Z585 set with Ctaper 130x shafts and ordered C taper 120 in my 770 set. I have been happy with the feel/dispersion/spin of this set up in the limited play this week. Feel like I retained the dispersion I had with the Ctaper130 but gained a little more height and spin. Not sure if that is completely due to the change in weight/flex of shaft or the difference in loft/launch of the club heads. I did not lose any distance, still hit my 8 iron into the 162yrd par 3 at my home course as I would with my previous set, which was a good sign. Overall I am happy with the change, the Srixon VT sole was not for me and I prefer the turf interaction of the 770s. While they are a little less forgiving on my toe misses, they hold their line pretty well. Coming up short on mishits I can deal with. 

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

• 2 weeks later...

Any more updates?  we are hitting 50-60 degree weather even in the northeast so most people must be having the warm days.. 🙂  I hope to bring the P7MCs outside this week...  

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

seems like 2 months is the norm from your order date.. 

TM said there is a shaft shortage.. i thought it was just for some shafts.. but clearly now saying its every shaft.. i found my shaft at stores and online so ive tried to change my orders to get just the heads to put on my shafts myself.. but stated its to late to change best to just wait for the complete set.. kinda frustrating .. tournament season starting 2 weeks .. 

Have had my P770s (4-PW) since December and have been very happy with them. Came from OG P790s and while I have to give a majority of the credit to finally being fit into proper shafts (came from Modus 120S to KBS $ Taper R hardstepped), the P770s are just as long as my 790s but feel much better and the distance dispersion seems to be tighter as well.

Will say that if I didn't need the extra distance I absolutely would have pulled the trigger on the P7MCs. The MCs may take over my MP-18SCs as the set I grab and hold on to strictly for aspirational purposes. 

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Picked up my p790/770 set today. 4-5 790 and 6-PW AW 770. I thought the p790’s felt really light so I checked all the swing weights. 770’s all D2-D3. 790’s C8. WTF. Lengths are +3/4”. Nippon neo R 95g shafts. Superstroke 48g 2 wrap standard grips.

With extra length i was expecting swing weight to be more around D4 D5 for all the irons. Hit into the net and the 770’s felt fine at their weight but 790’s at C8 I’m not so sure. How could they be so light? Did they forget to add the tungsten when they built the heads? I’m taking them out on the course tomorrow. Lead tape might be on order.

Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by Jim E

My 770s were light, I had them reshafted at Club Champion and had them all built to D4.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

39 minutes ago, Jim E said:

Played 9 yesterday. 770’s at D2 was fine. 790’s at C8 little light. I don’t like the idea of shaft weights. I’d prefer the weight to be in the head. I’ll probably just slap some lead tape on. Or just return the 790’s for something else.

I’ve still not hit a ball with mine after having received the in early Jan due to England Lockdown, but I’m pretty sure I already need to regroup them from all  the waggles I’ve done with them sat in my office with me.

Just checked SW on my 790/770’s

I make them D2.5 on 4-7 790s and 8&9 770’s

i then make the PW and AW D4

PW and AW were delivered a month ahead of the rest

All are modus 120, 1/2” longer.

mall measure on my Golfworks basic SW balance - so not sure how accurate they are, but are of course ‘accurate’ from measure to measure. 

Just cannot wait for 29th March when we are allowed out again....

1 hour ago, Re*Ax said:

I’ve still not hit a ball with mine after having received the in early Jan due to England Lockdown, but I’m pretty sure I already need to regroup them from all  the waggles I’ve done with them sat in my office with me.

Just checked SW on my 790/770’s

I make them D2.5 on 4-7 790s and 8&9 770’s

i then make the PW and AW D4

PW and AW were delivered a month ahead of the rest

All are modus 120, 1/2” longer.

mall measure on my Golfworks basic SW balance - so not sure how accurate they are, but are of course ‘accurate’ from measure to measure. 

Just cannot wait for 29th March when we are allowed out again....

It just seems very odd that my 4 and 5 790’s are C8 with 3/4” longer shafts. When they state swing weight as D2. I assume to get the D2 they’re just glueing head to the shaft with nothing added. How the heck can mine be C8? If I ordered standard length they would have come to me at like C3 C4? WTF! If I  hit these slightly towards the toe it’s harsh and goes nowhere. Seriously wondering if they forgot to put the tungsten weight in. Very disappointed. I guess I’m lucky the 770’s came at D2. For the prices they charge this is very upsetting. Especially after waiting 2 months.

6 hours ago, Jim E said:

It just seems very odd that my 4 and 5 790’s are C8 with 3/4” longer shafts. When they state swing weight as D2. I assume to get the D2 they’re just glueing head to the shaft with nothing added. How the heck can mine be C8? If I ordered standard length they would have come to me at like C3 C4? WTF! If I  hit these slightly towards the toe it’s harsh and goes nowhere. Seriously wondering if they forgot to put the tungsten weight in. Very disappointed. I guess I’m lucky the 770’s came at D2. For the prices they charge this is very upsetting. Especially after waiting 2 months.

I know when I got a set of P7mc's I took off the heads and removed the bullet weights that are found in the hosel, they're almost hidden.  Anyways, I play at .50 or a little above but with removing a 10g weight I was still only down around d2-d3 range.  Let us know if you ever find out what happened.

Taylormade Sim2 9*   Lagp axs blue 6x

Taylormade 300 mini 13.5  lagp axs blue 7x

Callaway UW 17  ventus black 7x  

Taylormade sim2 rescue 22  ventus blue 8x

Srixon 945's 4-pw KBS $ Taper HT 125

Cbx2 kbs 610  50/56  Cbx zipcore 60

Scotty special select squareback accra fx 3.0  

14 minutes ago, Oett11 said:

I know when I got a set of P7mc's I took off the heads and removed the bullet weights that are found in the hosel, they're almost hidden.  Anyways, I play at .50 or a little above but with removing a 10g weight I was still only down around d2-d3 range.  Let us know if you ever find out what happened.

I brought them back to the shop I ordered from. We’ll see what happens. Also the 5 iron was only an 1/8” longer than the 6 iron. All ordered with same specs. I think next time I need new irons I’ll stick to the used market. It’s amazing to me companies can stay in business when they push s*** out the door like this. 

1 minute ago, Jim E said:

I brought them back to the shop I ordered from. We’ll see what happens. Also the 5 iron was only an 1/8” longer than the 6 iron. All ordered with same specs. I think next time I need new irons I’ll stick to the used market. It’s amazing to me companies can stay in business when they push s*** out the door like this. 

Clubs said “heads made in Vietnam assembled in Mexico”. Probably sweat shops with kids building clubs that don’t even know what golf is. 

so ive gotten about 3/4 rounds since December when I finally got my irons.

I really love the P7MC's but not too fond of the p770s.  Wish I had originally ordered all my irons in the MC's.

770s are just to artificial feeling, really dislike the clicky sound. 

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

Hi 

I was fitted for the p770 today. I was fitted for the Dynamic Gold 105 stiff shaft.

however, I was only able to try different shafts in the 7-iron. Tried the DG 105 and KBS Tour stiff and couldn’t really tell a difference. I also tried a 4-iron with the KBS shaft only since he couldn’t change the shaft, and I hit the 4-iron perfectly.

So now I’m confused as to whether the fitter was right in recommending me for the DG shaft....

Has anyone been fitted to the DG shaft and want to share their experience with me? 
I’m a 7 handicap and have been playing with the same irons for 8 years...

kind regards, Jeppe 

So I was able to get the P7MCs to the range on Saturday for an extensive range session with the irons and all i can say is I am SO happy with them and glad I got my set in 2020 as the delays and back orders are just as bad now as they were back then if not worse. As for the clubs, I was crushing shots and the feel is amazing. No crazy sounds in fact they are not that loud outside unless you toe it a bit and then its a brighter sound, on pure hits it felt really soft and buttery even on the 3 iron (butter knife).  I can't wait to take them out again. Anyone else getting out to the range or the course?  On Saturday my range was so packed there was only 2 open stations available when I arrived.  

3 hours ago, Magnificat said:

So I was able to get the P7MCs to the range on Saturday for an extensive range session with the irons and all i can say is I am SO happy with them and glad I got my set in 2020 as the delays and back orders are just as bad now as they were back then if not worse. As for the clubs, I was crushing shots and the feel is amazing. No crazy sounds in fact they are not that loud outside unless you toe it a bit and then its a brighter sound, on pure hits it felt really soft and buttery even on the 3 iron (butter knife).  I can't wait to take them out again. Anyone else getting out to the range or the course?  On Saturday my range was so packed there was only 2 open stations available when I arrived.  

Man, I would love to be able to show up to a range and have two open stations. Mine has been 20-45 min wait for an open stall pretty much all day every day the past 9 months. I tried to go Friday afternoon and the line snaked out into the parking lot. 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

I bought a set of P770’s to replace MP-64’s.  I ordered them in October and didn’t get them until the end of December.  I live in the NE so I have still been playing cold weather golf. I like them but I’m not sold yet. I know there is no comparison to feel and sound. I’m hoping the forgiveness wins out

On 2/25/2021 at 12:15 PM, JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:

This is one of the reasons I just pulled the trigger on a set of P7MCs instead of 770s. I have the 790s, gave them to my brother who's newer to golf. The control was the deciding factor. Tighter front to back dispersion. Can't wait for them to come in this weekend!

Did you get your MCs yet?  I can't stop raving how much I am enjoying them.  I hit them far better than my old clubs, even the dreaded 3 iron... 

For anyone waiting on their orders I placed mine end of January and they were just delivered yesterday, actually a little earlier then expected so TM must be ramping up their assembly.  P770 w/KBS $-Taper Lite. Took them straight to range and they are better then I remember. I was nervous after being fit indoors in the middle of winter but it seems like everything was spot on.  These clubs flat out launch the ball, first thing I noticed being outdoors is the ball speed, the ball takes off like a rocket, seems to keep climbing and then drop perfectly.  I remember the peak height numbers from the fitting but it’s tough to visualize from a simulator, after seeing it outside...it’s freaking high, but not ballooning and can still be easily knocked down when needed.  The other big thing I noticed is these clubs want to go straight, but that’s probably a good thing for most hacks like me.  You can still turn them over either way it just takes a little extra effort,I.e. I play a 10 yard cut/draw and maybe it only moves 5yards, big whoop I just look at that like needing to relearn my distances and big motivation to NOT try and hit a 30 yard draw out the trees.  Hit around 100 balls and didn’t notice 1 “flyer”, a few misses off the tow or a little thin didn’t seem to be punished too bad. 10/10 would recommend these clubs.

• Like 1

Had a chance about a month ago to hit the P770 and P7MC.  Didn't hate the feel of the P770 but didn't love it either.  My Srixon ZX7 feel much better and the flight/distance was very similar.  The P7MC was completely different.  Absolutely LOVED the feel off those irons.  I hadn't warmed up and wasn't flushing them perfectly but the feel off the club face was fantastic.  I'd guess they had a bit more spin to them just from the flight but I noticed front-to-back dispersion was tight.  Didn't care for the KBS Tour shafts personally.  If I was to build out a set I'd probably go P770 in the 4/5 irons and P7MC the rest of the way down to PW.

20 hours ago, Silverstang38 said:

For anyone waiting on their orders I placed mine end of January and they were just delivered yesterday, actually a little earlier then expected so TM must be ramping up their assembly.  P770 w/KBS $-Taper Lite. Took them straight to range and they are better then I remember. I was nervous after being fit indoors in the middle of winter but it seems like everything was spot on.  These clubs flat out launch the ball, first thing I noticed being outdoors is the ball speed, the ball takes off like a rocket, seems to keep climbing and then drop perfectly.  I remember the peak height numbers from the fitting but it’s tough to visualize from a simulator, after seeing it outside...it’s freaking high, but not ballooning and can still be easily knocked down when needed.  The other big thing I noticed is these clubs want to go straight, but that’s probably a good thing for most hacks like me.  You can still turn them over either way it just takes a little extra effort,I.e. I play a 10 yard cut/draw and maybe it only moves 5yards, big whoop I just look at that like needing to relearn my distances and big motivation to NOT try and hit a 30 yard draw out the trees.  Hit around 100 balls and didn’t notice 1 “flyer”, a few misses off the tow or a little thin didn’t seem to be punished too bad. 10/10 would recommend these clubs.

When were they supposed to arrive? I ordered my set of 770's middle of February and when I checked a couple of weeks ago I was told they would arrive the beginning of May. I had to change the shaft or else I was looking at a June arrival. Fingers crossed that they come sooner as I am heading to Williamsburg, VA for a golf trip at the beginning of May, but I wont get my hopes up.

After 3 rounds with the 770's, I am looking to sell them. They are great irons BUT for me I do not spin them enough. 

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

2 hours ago, cer5059 said:

When were they supposed to arrive? I ordered my set of 770's middle of February and when I checked a couple of weeks ago I was told they would arrive the beginning of May. I had to change the shaft or else I was looking at a June arrival. Fingers crossed that they come sooner as I am heading to Williamsburg, VA for a golf trip at the beginning of May, but I wont get my hopes up.

I ordered through PGATSS and were supposed to ship 4/15, but I had been calling every week hoping for a surprise.  Checked 3/19 and they we still scheduled for 4/15 but call on 3/30 and was told they were out for delivery.  It seems like TM is building everything quick and it just depends how backordered certain parts are.

2 hours ago, Silverstang38 said:

I ordered through PGATSS and were supposed to ship 4/15, but I had been calling every week hoping for a surprise.  Checked 3/19 and they we still scheduled for 4/15 but call on 3/30 and was told they were out for delivery.  It seems like TM is building everything quick and it just depends how backordered certain parts are.

That's good to know, there might be some hope! I ordered mine from GG on 2/13. I changed from KBS shafts to PX shafts because the KBS were so far out. I think the heads were holding up my order now so hopefully they'll get shipped out sooner!

I need the group's input.  I got a set of p770s with px shafts.  I'm finally able to play them in a round.  I love the distance, height, and spin.  My downside is that I'm not a big fan of the feel.  I am considering a different shaft, but also switching to MMC's or zx7.  So far MMCs have superior feel but I'm not sure I'll get the same height.  

I have about 3 weeks left in order to trade them.  Appreciate the group's feedback. 

Edited by Nick_E

14 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I need the group's input.  I got a set of p770s with px shafts.  I'm finally able to play them in a round.  I love the distance, height, and spin.  My downside is that I'm not a big fan of the feel.  I am considering a different shaft, but also switching to MMC's or zx7.  So far MMCs have superior feel but I'm not sure I'll get the same height.  

I have about 3 weeks left in order to trade them.  Appreciate the group's feedback. 

My opinion is the same as yours. Only actually had mine on the course once but been hitting them into a net at home quite a bit. They actually felt harsh on any slight mis hit. I ordered mine with Superstroke CC standard with 2 extra wraps. I hated the grips. I think with the 2 wraps it stretched the grips so they felt very hard and harsh. I regripped them with some GP grips and put in some pro soft inserts. Much better now. Hitting into a net is one thing. Being out and actually seeing the ball flight these produce makes me happy about my purchase.😀

• Like 1