Time for a utility/driving iron?

trilerian

This season has seen some pretty big changes in my ball flights at the top of my bag.  I bought new irons (apex 19) and I now game a 4i instead of my 4h, which is great, cause I can’t stop hooking the hybrid anyway.  I picked up a ton of distance with a new driver swing this season, but lost my way with my 3w, which is fine because my 5w is good. But I am still looking for that reliable club on the tight par 4’s that I can consistently hit a baby fade off the tee.  It ain’t my 5w, while I can fade it, it isn’t consistent and prefers a draw. 

I am looking for a utility iron that isn’t going to be huge, doesn’t have a ton of offset and is decently forgiving.  Offset causes me to naturally close the face because of the club head balance.  Some is fine and I can still feel the balance where I want.  I want to fill a gap between my 4i and 5w.

Current specs:

21* 4i – 200 yd carry on well struck shots. 

18* 5w, don’t know carry, rolls out to 230-235 on well struck shots.

I’m thinking either a 19* or 20* utility to fill the gap.  I tried the Titleist U-500 20* at DSG the other day, but it was still a little hooky, couldn’t hit a fade.  Distance was right around 210 yds with rollout, but a fade should go slightly shorter. I’m looking to hit 215 to 220 with rollout. 

Oh, I will drop my 3w for the slot in the bag.  Eventually I will replace my 5w with a 4w. 

I’m happy with my irons, I’m happy with my wedges, I’m happy with my driver.  Have an off and on relationship with my putter (seems to be the norm), so close to having a perfect setup…

Thanks for any input. 

• Like 1

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Something for you to consider in your search.

I used to have a Cobra 3-utility but have just replaced it with a Cobra Forged Tec 3i.

From technology perspective the two are basically the same but I found the sole of the utility was too wide. The 3i is working much better for me. It's more like the TM UDI in terms of sole width.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I've just recently started using the Exotics cb pro h 2-iron and let me tell you that it's the best move I've ever made. I tend to hit the ball a mile off of the tee with the driver, but miss fairways pretty consistently and needed something that I knew I could hit in play consistently. I found that in the 2-Iron as even my misses found the fairway compared to what I was doing with my 3-wood. The irons to me just seem so much more controllable and reliable. Not sure i'll go back to my woods until I begin to lose significant distance with the 2-iron. 

18 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Something for you to consider in your search.

I used to have a Cobra 3-utility but have just replaced it with a Cobra Forged Tec 3i.

From technology perspective the two are basically the same but I found the sole of the utility was too wide. The 3i is working much better for me. It's more like the TM UDI in terms of sole width.

I find the sole plays a huge difference for me. If it’s just something to hit off a tee that’s one thing, but it’s nice to have an option off the deck as well. I loved the forged tec set and the HMB’s as well, but settled on the 716 TMB’s due to price point.........and I already had the 17° 2 iron and loved it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

I know some of these wide sole driving irons get attention, but the regular set 2 irons from some of these “players distance irons sure fit the bill to me. 

Each person is a custom job, so it’s best to narrow down what you like in regards to  What exactly you want out if the club.....Tee only?
fairway’s sometimes 

overall weight/ shaft

shaft flex 

graphite or steel 

loft

CG

offset

topline 

sole width 

......etc.....

wide range of options now ?

I’ve never hit, but have alway been curious about the Adams DHY, and now they are a great short money option with a stock White Tie shaft ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I sorted thru this scenario recently with my Ping i210 and it’s frustrating when a modern 3 iron is now lofted at 19* which in my books is a 2 iron in disguised.

I went with the set 3 iron to gap off the 4 iron on par 3s and it worked out well because the trajectory and yardage transitions seamlessly but, it’s my hardest club ironically because the 2 UDI has more technology and hence easier to hit.

My UDI is 17* so no 5 wood for me. I understand a 2 UDI is a 5 wood replacement per the Pings website. 

Somebody asked about how often do you hit the 2 iron off the deck and my answer is quite a bit because it’s the longest iron off the deck. I carry a 12.5* 3 wood which is just too long off the tee and deck lol but it comes down to the objective of  hitting every club to a certain yardage.

I don’t see myself playing these strong lofts for no more than a handful of years before Father Time or an injury hits me and then I’ll go back to retro lofts or just retire.

Edited by Chuck905

On 8/21/2020 at 7:24 PM, jonesry09 said:

This is the exact set up I use. How often do you hit the 2 iron off the deck?

I have same set up but 50, 54, 58 for wedges. I hit my 2 iron about 2/4 second shots into par 5s and my get out of trouble stinger club. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Love my sub70... might have too much offset for you.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I just changed the bag almost exactly as you described:

I too, tended to hook my damn hybrids when it mattered. I took my 4h and a TaylorMade p790 4i (I play these irons) to the range and to my surprise, hit the 4i much more consistently. The 4h departed the bag.

On a subsequent round, I hooked the hell out of my 3h on a long par 3, so I did the same with the 3i...after a lengthy range comparison, the 3i was way more consistent than the 3 hybrid. Although my p790 3-5 irons have the KBS Tour FLT shafts in them, I wanted just a bit higher flight just in the 3i...so my fitter suggested a Steelfiber Graphite shaft... It totally did the trick. I'm able to get the height of my 3h from the 3i... Perfect 215-220 club for me! 

I then got rid of my 3 (Cally Rogue) & trusty/loved 5 wood (TM M1)... and replaced with a Titleist TS2 4w....the jury is still out on that as I've not yet taken it to the range. 

I LOVED my M1 5 wood, and the Rogue 3w I was just lukewarm with, so I believe the change to the 4w will be a welcome move. I'm taking it to the range in about 30 min. 

I'd suggest the 3i in your set, perhaps with a Graphite shaft to mimic the typical higher flight of a hybrid. I've been doing the hybrid thing for so long, almost blindly, thinking for sure it would yield better results vs. an iron... Performing a couple dedicated range sessions proved otherwise, much to my surprise. The difference in a Graphite shaft in the 3i, I don't even think about...the same as if I pulled a Graphite-shafted 3h out of my bag

Edited by rmiller_ny

13 hours ago, rmiller_ny said:

I just changed the bag almost exactly as you described:

I too, tended to hook my damn hybrids when it mattered. I took my 4h and a TaylorMade p790 4i (I play these irons) to the range and to my surprise, hit the 4i much more consistently. The 4h departed the bag.

On a subsequent round, I hooked the hell out of my 3h on a long par 3, so I did the same with the 3i...after a lengthy range comparison, the 3i was way more consistent than the 3 hybrid. Although my p790 3-5 irons have the KBS Tour FLT shafts in them, I wanted just a bit higher flight just in the 3i...so my fitter suggested a Steelfiber Graphite shaft... It totally did the trick. I'm able to get the height of my 3h from the 3i... Perfect 215-220 club for me! 

I then got rid of my 3 (Cally Rogue) & trusty/loved 5 wood (TM M1)... and replaced with a Titleist TS2 4w....the jury is still out on that as I've not yet taken it to the range. 

I LOVED my M1 5 wood, and the Rogue 3w I was just lukewarm with, so I believe the change to the 4w will be a welcome move. I'm taking it to the range in about 30 min. 

I'd suggest the 3i in your set, perhaps with a Graphite shaft to mimic the typical higher flight of a hybrid. I've been doing the hybrid thing for so long, almost blindly, thinking for sure it would yield better results vs. an iron... Performing a couple dedicated range sessions proved otherwise, much to my surprise. The difference in a Graphite shaft in the 3i, I don't even think about...the same as if I pulled a Graphite-shafted 3h out of my bag

Interested in how you like the ts2 4 wood??

• Like 1

For a utility club, the u500 is one of the smallest on the market.  I love mine as I can work it both ways off of the tee.  I agree with above poster that mention going Dr, 3w, utility iron.  It works great for me as well as I struggle with hybrids.  If utility irons are too cumbersome for you, check out the "players" distance iron options.  Your current model Apex irons are pretty much distance irons.  Start there, as mentioned above as well.

A couple of other options from different manufacturers:  cobra forged tech, p790, p770, Srixon 5series, Mizuno hmp, bridgestone hf2, titleist t200, ping i500, Wilson d7.  I'm sure I'm missing some, but plenty of options out there.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

51 minutes ago, bjno1300 said:

Interested in how you like the ts2 4 wood??

I finally took it to the range today and was just killing it. I had it setup stock configuration... Exactly what I was hoping for... Length on par with the 3 wood it replaced and easier to consistently get up. Has a very solid feeling and sound to it. It has the Tensei 65 Blue in Stiff flex in it. I'd say it's a very easy 3 wood to hit and I'm pretty picky about fairway woods. When I find one I like, I tend to keep them in the bag a while. 

Hmm. Thanks for the responses, I hadn’t considered a set 3i, although lead time on it fairly long, it seems interesting. But trying to get fit for it seems a little difficult. I would want a graphite shaft instead of steel. To answer a question above, it would mainly be used off the tee on tighter holes, dispersion would need to be good. I kind of thought a utility was the way to go with them being a bit larger, but I do fine with my set 4i, and put a couple out there over 200 of the tee this past weekend, so maybe the set 3i is the way to go. 

More choices to consider, lol.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

I play Driver (280ish avg), 4w (240ish), and I'm working on a 3rd club for the top of my bag. 

I have a Titleist U510 2i (18*) that should arrive today that I'm hoping will actually slot between those 2 around 250-260. The 4w is cut down a little and has lead tape on the bottom to keep swing weight up, so it's a straight, high launching, point and shoot club. I hit it off the tee a lot, but if the wind is up at all it can kill me, so hoping for something more manageable and that I can really step on if I need a little extra. The 4w is pretty maxed at 240. 

I also have a Ping i25 19* that's a little shorter than standard that goes about 225 and is pretty anti-left. It's been old faithful for me and if the U510 doesn't work out, it'll stay in the bag between 4w and 4i. 

It seems crazy to some to have a few clubs stacked so close at the top of my bag, but the most important shots for me are off the tee box. If I can keep it in the short stuff, I've got a chance. If I can't get off the tee, it doesn't matter how well my wedges are gapped. 

I feel like driving irons are great, the question really in my mind is how much distance do you really need out of it? If you don't need something like 250, which there are only a handful of people on the planet that can do that (and all of them are on WRX or the PGA Tour), then something like a set 3i or 4i is probably plenty.

Most Par 4s are less than 400 yards so a well struck 3i should get you that 215 you're looking for  and then you're hitting 6i or less into the green. I'd consider that route. 

Before I ordered the U510 I hit a Srixon 545 3i with a graphite shaft and it was absolutely money. Sadly, it snapped right above the hosel and I haven't gotten the replacement yet. You might consider an Apex 3i with a stout graphite shaft in it. 

Good luck! 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Ahhh, the Lure of the Deuce. Every year I buy a 2 iron. Every year I sell a 2 iron. They always get bumped out of the bag by a fairway wood. In the past 6 years, I have played ...

Callaway Apex UT

Ping Crossover

Titleist T-MB

TaylorMade P790

Titleist U500

Mizuno HMB

Aside from the Ping and the T-MB, I loved the rest of them but was not consistent enough. I have since developed a stinger 3 wood shot that does the same things for me. So the Deuce is back on the shelf. But will I be sucked back into the 2-iron vortex next spring? Odds are pretty good. 

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

Similar situation. Can't hit a hybrid or wood to save my life. I hit all my irons up to my 4 iron reliably. 4 iron goes about 215 or so. I need something that goes about 220-245... Got an exotics EXS 220 Ti-Utility 3 iron on the way, will let you know how that goes ? If I can hit that consistently from the tee and deck,  I'll ditch my 4H and 3 wood. Tall order I know, but sometimes I need to just experiment in order to find out what works best for me. It might mean going through a couple clubs. 

2 things I've tried for this spot in the bag that work well for me.

1. Callaway Epic Forged 4 iron (18*) with a Steelfiber shaft. I t works well as a driving iron and is easy to hit off the deck and has little offset: if you are looking to hit a stinger type shot you will have to turn it over to do so. Good club into a long par 3 as it holds the green well.

2. Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid. I, like many of us, have had the hook issue with hybrids. I ordered a 20* 2* flat and hit nothing but small fades with it, and my normal shot is a draw. I've also found this hybrid easier than any other to put back in my stance and hit low with a lot of run out.

You can order any of Callaway's fixed hosel hybrids ( Apex, any of the Mavrik range) either 1* or 2* flat. Hope this helps.

Edited by Jwin323