2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

I have been working on NTC for about 4 months now , 

On the range about 10 days ago I set up full ulner  at address and started puring my 7 iron ,then I went to a palm grip both hands  , high hands at address ala Bryson grip in Palms both hands ,I have never hit the ball so good all clubs except driver .

Played 3 rounds with this and shoot my lowest scores ever .

Any one experiment with Palm grip ,I mean in the lifeline of palms both hands ,works great with NTC .

Thoughts 

9 hours ago, rubenmartinez13 said:

I have been working on NTC for about 4 months now , 

On the range about 10 days ago I set up full ulner  at address and started puring my 7 iron ,then I went to a palm grip both hands  , high hands at address ala Bryson grip in Palms both hands ,I have never hit the ball so good all clubs except driver .

Played 3 rounds with this and shoot my lowest scores ever .

Any one experiment with Palm grip ,I mean in the lifeline of palms both hands ,works great with NTC .

Thoughts 

Been down this rabbit hole.

If you can grip in fingers, with fingers tight and CLOSE together, just do that.  Find the correct size that allows you to do this.  Your swing will adjust and improve.

Some people anatomically can’t do this.  Some are arthritic.  Some blue collar guys have mangled hands.  They need to check out larger grips while keeping fingers as close together as possible.

But, I have seen guys with large hands, flexible fingers that simply need the Jumbomax XL.  But they are in a vast minority of anatomical freaks.

Everyone needs to loosen up their wrists.

Edited by games

games so you tried it , that's the reason I am asking ,but I just got back from playing 18 and again I have not hit the ball better ,the ulnar feels so natural with the grip in both palms , I am using my standard  grips and doing a slight pause at the top to make sure I cast to 8  ,tight high draw ,  when I  go  back to fingers its pulls ,you are right I might be going down a rabbit hole bro ,but I am going to ride it until  it stops working ,I am sure its a compensation for something but the ball flight is like never before ,I have never been a great ball striker but I kind of feel like a decent one now , all my playing partners see it as well , Love NTC  in the palms for me for  now 

Anxiously waiting for Montes review of my video I sent in for a lesson, but in the mean time I think I discovered a big real vs feel for me when it comes to cast A. I always felt that I was casting to 4 or 5 o clock but it was always more so 6. Today I decided to cast to what I felt like 3 o clock and low and behold it was 4 o clock. I guess it is always that thing in golf if it feels wrong it is most likely the right thing.

6 hours ago, Rdailey9108 said:

Anxiously waiting for Montes review of my video I sent in for a lesson, but in the mean time I think I discovered a big real vs feel for me when it comes to cast A. I always felt that I was casting to 4 or 5 o clock but it was always more so 6. Today I decided to cast to what I felt like 3 o clock and low and behold it was 4 o clock. I guess it is always that thing in golf if it feels wrong it is most likely the right thing.

Do you use montes clock? The cast is towards 8

• Like 1

I am bumping this because I honestly feel this is the single best instructional video I've ever seen (and I've watched plenty).  The value proposition for the modest cost of the series is just ridiculous. 

I have a lot of friends who are just getting into the game (thanks to the pandemic golf boom) - and they are still pretty terrible as might be expected for beginners.   They sometimes ask me for tips because I hit it decent (compared to them, I am by no means a great golfer)... I keep telling them to just buy this series and follow it.  I honestly think if everyone would, the munis would be filled with better golfers.  It's pretty much the "if I could only watch one instructional video" gold standard for me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rdailey9108 said:

Well I had to post this since it seems so crazy but kind of goes along with casting from the top. Thoughts?

Amg show a similar move where Mike holds Shaun's shoulders and ribs and then shows how you get to the ball. If you are too slow with the pivot big pulls/hooks. Not quick enough with arms open face leading to all sorts of nastiness.

16 hours ago, 4thand11 said:

I am bumping this because I honestly feel this is the single best instructional video I've ever seen (and I've watched plenty).  The value proposition for the modest cost of the series is just ridiculous. 

I have a lot of friends who are just getting into the game (thanks to the pandemic golf boom) - and they are still pretty terrible as might be expected for beginners.   They sometimes ask me for tips because I hit it decent (compared to them, I am by no means a great golfer)... I keep telling them to just buy this series and follow it.  I honestly think if everyone would, the munis would be filled with better golfers.  It's pretty much the "if I could only watch one instructional video" gold standard for me.

Get them to watch Monte’s free fundamentals video too.

Does the no turn part of NTC apply to the down swing as well as the back swing?

From the original YT video I perceived as no turn only applying to the back swing. In the instructional series Monte demonstrates how after cast A if one were to just turn into the ball they would be in 'a pretty good impact position'. Taking these two points together, when attempting NTC I tried to hold my arms back after cast A and spin like crazy.

Sometime yesterday just out of the blue it occurred to me 'maybe he means no turn on the down swing too'. At the range today I started applying this thought, feeling like I was swinging my arms* while keeping my back to the target and was hitting it well. It felt completely wrong trying to hit the ball with a closed chest, but the results were good. I really wish I had camera so I could see what I was *actually* doing... next time.

This down swing feel really reminds me of my perception of the Jim Venetos swing. Am I totally off base here?

* rather it feels like I'm using my wrists to throw the club from the top, and then my arms and then my body goes along for the ride.

Edited by KD1

13 hours ago, KD1 said:

Does the no turn part of NTC apply to the down swing as well as the back swing?

From the original YT video I perceived as no turn only applying to the back swing. In the instructional series Monte demonstrates how after cast A if one were to just turn into the ball they would be in 'a pretty good impact position'. Taking these two points together, when attempting NTC I tried to hold my arms back after cast A and spin like crazy.

Sometime yesterday just out of the blue it occurred to me 'maybe he means no turn on the down swing too'. At the range today I started applying this thought, feeling like I was swinging my arms* while keeping my back to the target and was hitting it well. It felt completely wrong trying to hit the ball with a closed chest, but the results were good. I really wish I had camera so I could see what I was *actually* doing... next time.

This down swing feel really reminds me of my perception of the Jim Venetos swing. Am I totally off base here?

* rather it feels like I'm using my wrists to throw the club from the top, and then my arms and then my body goes along for the ride.

Yes, keep your chest closed as long as you can (within reason).

There’s no holding back of the arms. The arms have to be sped up. The best way to see and feel this is to look for the Justin Rose drill.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2022 at 12:59 PM, KD1 said:

Camera will tell you what you need to know (as you referenced above). Your chest should at least feel quite closed, but on video it should just show your arms linking up before you actually rotate and you may actually see MORE rotation at impact if your sequence is correct.

• Like 3

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

9 hours ago, Precis1on said:

Camera will tell you what you need to know (as you referenced above). Your chest should at least feel quite closed, but on video it should just show your arms linking up before you actually rotate and you may actually see MORE rotation at impact if your sequence is correct.

That’s correct because there’s no need to stall rotation to allow the arms to catch up. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

Newbie here lucky to have found this good discussion.  I bought the NTC drill videos from Marty and Rebellion and have watched it numerous times and have been working on the swing at a very slow speed.  I'm at the point now where I want to record my swing and see where I'm at.  And especially the transition and the Cast A at 8 oclock part.  What is a good way to record that part of the swing?  Would love to do an overhead superimposed on a clock but what's the next best thing for someone at home with a phone?

Just now, bmckenney said:

Newbie here lucky to have found this good discussion.  I bought the NTC drill videos from Marty and Rebellion and have watched it numerous times and have been working on the swing at a very slow speed.  I'm at the point now where I want to record my swing and see where I'm at.  And especially the transition and the Cast A at 8 oclock part.  What is a good way to record that part of the swing?  Would love to do an overhead superimposed on a clock but what's the next best thing for someone at home with a phone?

Record the standard down the line and face on views (google those if you don't know), and would highly recommend just posting them here in the thread. Most folks in this thread will be able to give you some direction and Monte may even hop in. I don't recommend going and guessing on your own. 

• Like 1

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

is there an app that will sync two phones at the same time to record both the views during one swing? I just started using Zepp but that doesn't have that ability.  

I'll take your advice and post videos instead of doing my own guessing/analysis.  I'm probably going to have to do this outside due to indoor space limitations and right now its still winter temps for another week or so.  So in the meantime I will work on some inside recording experience just to get angles/distance/phone apps figured out.

You can record on both phones and edit them together if you really want, but two separate swings and two separate videos are fine. You'll be doing the same things in each :). 

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Hi all,

Bought NTC last week & have been practicing the drills at hom - enjoying it!

I've been playing almost 2 years & I have struggled with rolling the club inside & overswing, steep downswing & holding on through impact.  Went to my Clubs Trackman after a run this morning & recorded my swing after a week of drills. Still a little flat going back this is already an improvement over what it was. Definitely other things to work on so looking for help- thank you.

.YouTube link

• Like 1

Bought Monte's NTC this morning and fired an 84 in the afternoon.

All i think from the top is cast and turn together in sequence.  The cast forces the body to pivot.  It definitely works in my opinion the best for the driver.  Many other online coaches such as tyler ferrel teach a similar feel (pull the arrow) and brian manzella tumble.  The cast keeps the downswing wide and squares the face

One other tweak i made with my grip was to have both thumbs long straight down the shaft.  Usually i have my trail thumb lightly resting across the shaft, but i found it easier to ulnar deviate with both thumbs straight down the shaft and push with the thumbs to ulnar/uncock the wrists.  Did anyone else notice this?

Edited by Jbarretta

On 4/13/2022 at 6:09 PM, jamaro said:

Hi all,

Bought NTC last week & have been practicing the drills at hom - enjoying it!

I've been playing almost 2 years & I have struggled with rolling the club inside & overswing, steep downswing & holding on through impact.  Went to my Clubs Trackman after a run this morning & recorded my swing after a week of drills. Still a little flat going back this is already an improvement over what it was. Definitely other things to work on so looking for help- thank you.

.YouTube link

Try and get your hands to be a little more in the centre of your torso at P3. You’ll have more room and it’ll tighten up your swing at the top.79755F2E-7821-4787-91D4-15B451D557DC.jpeg.1c610443ab63bc2d5b88df9364949056.jpeg

See the pink line where Adam Scott is? From here he just rotates a little and he’s perfect.

6 hours ago, bmckenney said:

Looking for ideas on how to switch from single drill moves inside at slow speed to an outside backyard mat/net space with full swings.  do weighted clubs/sticks or an orange whip type of aid help to work on the full swing?  or just use a club from the bag?

P3 swings at low speed. P3 is the entire backswing (a full swing is another couple of inches of shoulder turn). Drill those with cast b then increase a little and use cast a.

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Try and get your hands to be a little more in the centre of your torso at P3. You’ll have more room and it’ll tighten up your swing at the top.79755F2E-7821-4787-91D4-15B451D557DC.jpeg.1c610443ab63bc2d5b88df9364949056.jpeg

See the pink line where Adam Scott is? From here he just rotates a little and he’s perfect.

Oh yeah, I'm behind. Thank you - appreciate the guidance.

Have some trouble doing the Cast A properly with the lead wrist leading the casting movement.

Is there anything wrong with thinking about the Cast A as twisting a doorknob while pushing the door away from you? Basicaly this supinates the trail forearm and adds a bit of flexion. This seems to pull the lead wrist into the Cast A movement, but not sure if it would cause other issues.

2 hours ago, Trippels said:

Have some trouble doing the Cast A properly with the lead wrist leading the casting movement.

Is there anything wrong with thinking about the Cast A as twisting a doorknob while pushing the door away from you? Basicaly this supinates the trail forearm and adds a bit of flexion. This seems to pull the lead wrist into the Cast A movement, but not sure if it would cause other issues.

Nevermind, rewatched the videos and don't think this would be right