2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

13 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Okay, here are a couple more videos.

Here is my first rear view swing.

This is me trying to shallow the club, but I don't think I actually am very much. I feel I need to come to the top of my swing with a bowed wrist to have time to shallow the club. The reality when watching back is, I don't think I am shallowing much. This video is full speed.

You need a bigger mat. Your heels are floating in the air. You're training poor lower body action trying to hit a ball this way. 

• Like 1

I "think" I made huge strides today with my swing. I have been focusing more on the No Turn part of it and it appears that I am in a better position in each part of my swing. My arms are no longer lagging behind my hips, etc. I will post some videos tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 2

Okay, let me preface this video a little. First off, I know there is no ball there, but that's because this was just a quick video of me trying to keep my hands from falling behind my turn. There is an area on the mat that I am looking at which is about 2-3" before the dark grass. The garage door is about 5' in front of me so I didn't want to send a plastic ball into it from that distance as that could hurt. lol I "think" I am keeping my lower body much more quiet compared to my previous video. I am still noticing a little more head movement than I want, but will continue to work on that.

At first glance, is it an improvement over my previous video(s)? Thanks for any help!

Before stills are on bottom.

Mr. Wolfe

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.55.20 PM.png

Edited by Mr_Wolfe

Still working on this and still not feeling 100% as my natural tendency has been rolling the forearms on the takeaway. Starting to combat this gradually but its changing my wrist angles at the top - for reference this "felt" like zero forearm rotation, across the line at the top and a slight cupped lead wrist... the video suggests otherwise which probably shows how laid off I was before! I also made a conscious effort to bow the lead wrist in transition. Thoughts?

Just another shout out to @MonteScheinblum  Iron game has never been more on point.   Barely practice, just play and it's improving a lot......  

• Like 1

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

4 hours ago, dvq9654 said:

In my opinion, you are not casting to 8 o'clock. You are casting to 6 o'clock. Club needs to be cast more behind you.

Interesting so I'm going to have to really feel like I throw the club behind me. I thought I was throwing to like 4 or 5 and I guess my feels are way off 

1 minute ago, Rdailey9108 said:

Interesting so I'm going to have to really feel like I throw the club behind me. I thought I was throwing to like 4 or 5 and I guess my feels are way off 

Feel isn't real, as they say, and that's why you need to use the video be certain you are doing it. So, keep videoing yourself to prove that the club is actually getting to 4 o'clock, but also feel as though you are very much "cranking down" your lead wrist and getting that club behind you. Once the club is back there, you should be able to speed up the hands and rotate more. Do it slowly and deliberately, and don't try to hit full speed

At the end of the day, you most likely won't ever get the club that far back in your real swing, but you will ingrain better movement patterns.

For instance, I recently video taped my driver swing and unbeknownst to me, I am doing the motorcycle every so slightly as I transition. It's not much, but I think that small movement is all we really need to get the club shallow enough on the downswing

First off Monte is great!!

Here is where I kept running into issues for me in the understanding of the NTC cast to A, is I was so focused on the left wrist I didn’t take into account the right forearm is actually supinates while the left wrist is extending in the downswing.  I maybe wrong but thinking about the right wrist flexing and supinating the right forearm seemed wrong but thats what clicked in my head. I kept hooking everything until I started doing this. 
But again I could be way off.  

• Like 1

I’m a few weeks into NTC and I’ve having issues with shanks and hooks. Luckily, it’s the winter here so I’m just doing range work and I’m happy just to be swinging pain free after dealing with thumb issues last year (De Quervain’s). 

For some background, before NTC I’ve always had an inside takeaway, hips rotating too early in the start of the backswing, and the last part of my backswing being done with my arms only and the arms getting narrow at the top. I feel like my backswing looks better with NTC, but the shanks are bad, even on 3/4 swings. My arm structure at the top is more vertical than typical, but my wingspan is 3-4 inches longer than my height, so I think that’s a contributing factor. My trail heel lifting on the downswing is nothing new. I do notice my head moving forward significantly on the backswing and that’s not something I’ve done before. If anyone sees anything glaring that could be a reason for shanks, I’d love to hear it. Images and video below

Shank: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbFgzOOBUU

Good Strike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYzulLo4qmo

B7811297-B003-4B3E-89B7-6FC8AB502D8A.png.dae72c2da8ce218c06299ce9034a06de.png969A6DB7-61D9-415B-A767-ED9412FDDEE8.png.ff9cd9a03e6e441baf9f215ac19d4113.png455A232D-DDC3-4B2F-8E81-DBD52CF03C06.png.d01ea8f207ddc20a5939125cff294184.png9B5128B1-3487-4D23-8761-D4B03BB9571C.png.b3f31ee80884f086da211912551d5c07.pngAFAADC69-0D77-40E3-8566-D9455FC6A804.png.6270be00a06c52436733811725ec23f2.png836FDAE8-0FF2-42FC-9DCD-E522219A952D.png.277adac404dffd45f39598d9239f7d5f.png8258828D-5B79-4F26-B7AA-B58FC7B351AA.png.524a89b646fe906933ec071052fcb7c5.pngCF1CE9B4-15B8-4CB0-AB9E-5B48A8060419.png.8a84a14c86e9e4781bc701af3aadfa93.png

Edited by dsmil

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

22 minutes ago, dsmil said:

I’m a few weeks into NTC and I’ve having issues with shanks and hooks. For some background, before NTC I’ve always had an inside takeaway, hips rotating too early in the start of the backswing, and the last part of my backswing being done with my arms only and the arms getting narrow at the top. I feel like my backswing looks better with NTC, but the shanks are bad, even on 3/4 swings. My arm structure at the top is more vertical than typical, but my wingspan is 3-4 inches longer than my height, so I think that’s a contributing factor. My trail heel lifting on the downswing is nothing new. I do notice my head moving forward significantly on the backswing and that’s not something I’ve done before. If anyone sees anything glaring that could be a reason for shanks, I’d love to hear it.

B7811297-B003-4B3E-89B7-6FC8AB502D8A.png.dae72c2da8ce218c06299ce9034a06de.png969A6DB7-61D9-415B-A767-ED9412FDDEE8.png.ff9cd9a03e6e441baf9f215ac19d4113.png455A232D-DDC3-4B2F-8E81-DBD52CF03C06.png.d01ea8f207ddc20a5939125cff294184.png9B5128B1-3487-4D23-8761-D4B03BB9571C.png.b3f31ee80884f086da211912551d5c07.png8258828D-5B79-4F26-B7AA-B58FC7B351AA.png.524a89b646fe906933ec071052fcb7c5.pngCF1CE9B4-15B8-4CB0-AB9E-5B48A8060419.png.8a84a14c86e9e4781bc701af3aadfa93.png

Others may be able to diagnose why, but your trail hip kicks out way too much. From there, you have zero room to operate. That is probably what is causing your shanks and has little / nothing to do with NTC

Monte just posted a video on IG that may help

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dvq9654 said:

Others may be able to diagnose why, but your trail hip kicks out way too much. From there, you have zero room to operate. That is probably what is causing your shanks and has little / nothing to do with NTC

Monte just posted a video on IG that may help

That’s funny that he literally just posted that video. I’ve always done this where my heel lifts up early and my hip comes forward. One part of me thinks it’s not the cause of the shank because I’ve always done it, but maybe I was doing a compensating move that isn’t there with NTC.

Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*

5 hours ago, dsmil said:

That’s funny that he literally just posted that video. I’ve always done this where my heel lifts up early and my hip comes forward. One part of me thinks it’s not the cause of the shank because I’ve always done it, but maybe I was doing a compensating move that isn’t there with NTC.

Goat humping/Early Extention is causing the shank but what is causing you too EE? Can't see the vids, only the stills. I'd focus on the back swing and then really work on Cast A.

Edited by naj959
brevity

4 hours ago, dsmil said:

Sometimes it’s easier if you can see the outcome of the bad move rather than just trusting its wrong from advice. From your pics on the downswing you can see that your in a decent position at left arm parallel but then the club never gets on the trail forearm because the club moves out. See pic 6 in your sequence

Get yourself at left arm parallel backswing with hands in front on chest. Notice if you start down by lifting that heel the whole club naturally moves out. Next do the same and keep the heel down and just straighten the trail arm. The difference of path going to the ball is quite big. Remember to shank it is only a small amount from the centre of the face. 

Every time you swing you will be compensating to re route the club head. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, naj959 said:

Goat humping/Early Extention is causing the shank but what is causing you too EE? My guess is because your're coming down so steep into the ball. Can't see the vids, only the stills. Need to get the back swing right and then really work on Cast A. Stills don't show a NTC swing. 

He is not so steep into the ball unless your definition of steep is different to mine, at no point does the shaft point inside the ball. If his right heel was planted(lightened not lifted)it has a knock on effect. The knee would be deeper and the hip and his torso would also be deeper.

going off stills isn’t ideal but the pitch of the shaft in comparison to his elbow plane line is good, he just moves towards the target line by lifting the heel and moving the hip out. If he has always done this he will likely need to get rid off it. Ingrained moves don’t always magically disappear.

Edited by Hilts1969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilts1969 said:

He is not so steep into the ball unless your definition of steep is different to mine, at no point does the shaft point inside the ball. If his right heel was planted(lightened not lifted)it has a knock on effect. The knee would be deeper and the hip and his torso would also be deeper.

going off stills isn’t ideal but the pitch of the shaft in comparison to his elbow plane line is good, he just moves towards the target line by lifting the heel and moving the hip out. If he has always done this he will likely need to get rid off it. Ingrained moves don’t always magically disappear.

Yes, changing the heel lifting move will be difficult and the video isn’t perfect but the butt of the club does point outside of the ball during the downswing and through lead arm parallel. I usually have an in to out path with irons and play a push draw. I actually have less early extension in my recent swings than before NTC. Something about my previous inside takeaway and early extension was matching up. I’ve tried more on plane takeaways at times at the range and the shanks would often appear with it. But I think I’m in good positions going back, so that should be a better starting point.

• Like 1

Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*

didn't include qouted message.

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

2 hours ago, dsmil said:

Yes, changing the heel lifting move will be difficult and the video isn’t perfect but the butt of the club does point outside of the ball during the downswing and through lead arm parallel. I usually have an in to out path with irons and play a push draw. I actually have less early extension in my recent swings than before NTC. Something about my previous inside takeaway and early extension was matching up. I’ve tried more on plane takeaways at times at the range and the shanks would often appear with it. But I think I’m in good positions going back, so that should be a better starting point.

setup with butt too far behind heels.     turning pelvis opposite - it is moving toward the ball on the backswing - you are EE during the backswing.     Left hip getting insufficient depth - put a line on your butt and you will see your butt move off the line and toward the ball during backswing.    Not uncommon.      Combine that with issues in transition and your arms trail too much and you are moving toward the ball on the downswing.

this applies to your setup and backswing.   https://www.instagram.com/p/CBvW0eIKnGd/

I speculate that transition involves poor pressure shift in backswing - face on would tell better - but this applies  or see the Dr. Kwon thread.https://www.instagram.com/p/CZt1nM2Mx-n/

The out of sequence starts right from the takeaway with the arms early rolling without the body doing it's part - not how little knee and hip movement has happened by p2.     

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

2 hours ago, glk said:

setup with butt too far behind heels.     turning pelvis opposite - it is moving toward the ball on the backswing - you are EE during the backswing.     Left hip getting insufficient depth - put a line on your butt and you will see your butt move off the line and toward the ball during backswing.    Not uncommon.      Combine that with issues in transition and your arms trail too much and you are moving toward the ball on the downswing.

this applies to your setup and backswing.   https://www.instagram.com/p/CBvW0eIKnGd/

I speculate that transition involves poor pressure shift in backswing - face on would tell better - but this applies  or see the Dr. Kwon thread.https://www.instagram.com/p/CZt1nM2Mx-n/

The out of sequence starts right from the takeaway with the arms early rolling without the body doing it's part - not how little knee and hip movement has happened by p2.     

Very interesting stuff here. AMG is great so I'll definitely have to watch that video closely.  The out of sequence takeaway stuff confuses me a little bit.  I used to rotate too soon where my hips and shoulders would basically be fully rotated by P3 and the rest of my swing was all arm lift.  Monte commented "Have to stop leading the backswing with the hips so much move the hands and club earlier" so I've been working on that.  I believe that it was either Monte or AMG that said that half of the hip turn should be done by P3 and I still feel like I'm at or above this number, not below.

Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*

Just now, dsmil said:

Very interesting stuff here. AMG is great so I'll definitely have to watch that video closely.  The out of sequence takeaway stuff confuses me a little bit.  I used to rotate too soon where my hips and shoulders would basically be fully rotated by P3 and the rest of my swing was all arm lift.  Monte commented "Have to stop leading the backswing with the hips so much move the hands and club earlier" so I've been working on that.  I believe that it was either Monte or AMG that said that half of the hip turn should be done by P3 and I still feel like I'm at or above this number, not below.

Typical to go in opposite direction - had lesson with monte and setup was main issue - too upright - next lesson I was too bent over.     Might try this to get things in synch.   https://www.instagram.com/p/CArLoP8llFa/

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Haven't played or even thought about golf since October.  Started new work responsibilities which have required 24/7 obligations and then I just don't care to play in winter conditions anymore.  Anyway, temperatures in the 70's the last two weekends so had to get out and play.  Shot 81/82 as a 9 hcp.  Thrilled that I could pick right back up where I left off and essentially play to my hcp.  I worked hard on NTC last year...and it really has been a game changer for me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has taken me a really long time to grasp the Cast A and B concepts and actually apply them. My issue has continued to be arms out of sequence (too far behind on the downswing). Even when trying to speed up the arms in the past, just ended up moving everything either faster or maybe just more effort, but the arms were still behind. After working with Monte for a while now, i am finally starting to grasp what better sequencing of the arms should feel like, but still a lot of work to do. The Cast A plus B produce a pretty decent swing for me when my lower body behaves. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, Chonchgolf said:

When guys are doing cast A and setting the wrists to 8 are you throwing it to 12 or 1 or 2? 

I can tell you what has worked well for me.  Learn and visualize the downswing plane and the plane of the swing post impact.  Cast A will set the club on a perfect plane.  I tend to throw the club to a point about a foot past the ball on a proper post impact plane.  There's only one way to get there.  For me that's a throw to about 11:30 after impact.  

Been working with Monte for a few months now over video lessons and have been prescribed to get the right arm off the chest and speed the arms up as they were trailing the turn. Working on the Rose drill he sent and revisiting no turn cast has been a game changer. Still segmenting the first few moves but liking how it’s coming together on film. In my previous swing my trail arm would be locked and straight until almost at the top and the first move from no turn cast makes folding earlier a piece of cake. 

• Like 1

I have a question for those here that have been working on Monte's drills. I've been working, again, on his no-turn cast moves as well as some things from the broom force. I went to the range for the first time last week in awhile. I was hitting my irons pretty well and hitting my 7iron ~150 on the fly/carry with range balls, which is pretty good for me. The thing that I noticed, however, was it seemed like it took a lot of effort to hit the ball well. Not sure that makes sense but it seems like after I dropped my arms to the 8 O'Clock position and trying to stay close, that I really had to work hard to turn into impact. It was working, but....My question is, is that just because I'm likely too tense since I'm still trying to learn the swing and should be less effortful over time? Or is it maybe because I'm not used to using the correct muscles and I'll develop more endurance with practice? I know it's kinda a vague question. I just need to make sure this swing is body friendly. Thanks! 

(BTW, I'm over 50 but in relatively decent shape) 

Edited by scopek
  • Like 2