Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

4 hours ago, Doodlebug87 said:

Here is my horrendous swing right now - I'm just lost if I'm honest! 

Stop rotating your eyes away from the ball in the backswing.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

5 minutes ago, Doodlebug87 said:

This isnt the norm for my swing, I was just keeping an eye on the positions - is there anything which screams out as being terrible? Cheers Monte!

For what it's worth, when I practice the Cast A, I try to cast it even further behind me and "motorcycle move" my lead wrist. Not to say what you are doing is wrong, but your cast looks to be more like 7. You can probably get there with what you are doing, but, for me, more exaggeration is better. 

3 hours ago, Doodlebug87 said:

This isnt the norm for my swing, I was just keeping an eye on the positions - is there anything which screams out as being terrible? Cheers Monte!

I used to do that with my eyes as well and thought what harm could it do right? I'm practising a drill and want to make sure I'm getting the right position...I then noticed Monte explaining to one of his students in the efficient swing series that the whole point of the drill is to build awareness of where the club face is *without looking at it*. If you make a concerted effort to get in the right positions without looking, you've a much better chance of building that awareness and therefore a better chance of the awareness creeping into full swings. As far as I can tell you get into some nice positions so maybe what Monte is saying is that rotating your eyes away from the ball IS what screams out as terrible. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YouDaHamHider said:

I used to do that with my eyes as well and thought what harm could it do right? I'm practising a drill and want to make sure I'm getting the right position...I then noticed Monte explaining to one of his students in the efficient swing series that the whole point of the drill is to build awareness of where the club face is *without looking at it*. If you make a concerted effort to get in the right positions without looking, you've a much better chance of building that awareness and therefore a better chance of the awareness creeping into full swings. As far as I can tell you get into some nice positions so maybe what Monte is saying is that rotating your eyes away from the ball IS what screams out as terrible. 

All correct

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

34 minutes ago, rchang72 said:

Monte, do you have opinion of a part of the ball to look at?

The part that makes you hit it well.  The job of a good instructor is to educate you and point you in the right direction.  Your job is to make it yours.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Just coming back to this thread, as I will probably do many more times, to post how unbelievable it is that so many hidden nuggets of gold are in the NTC methodology, for lack of a better term. I feel like there's so many concepts that I never internalized or just plain glossed over, or didn't realize they were an issue in my swing in the first place, otherwise known as How Not to Use Monte's Instructional Videos #101.

I had always glossed over the very first No Turn. I had never thought my hip turn was an issue. Only recently I realized that my turn was excessive and flat (because it didn't look flat on video, to me at least) and is causing me a huge number of issues. After working on a bunch of things a little voice told me to go back and try not to turn at all in the backswing per the very first drill of NTC. I just feel like I'm keeping my left butt check on a wall behind me as I go into the backswing. I feel as unathletic as Mr. Havercamp, but on video I make the perfect 45* hip turn. Going to take a lot of getting used to, but glad I'm able to start internalizing some of the gems here.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:01 PM, Simpsonia said:

Just coming back to this thread, as I will probably do many more times, to post how unbelievable it is that so many hidden nuggets of gold are in the NTC methodology, for lack of a better term. I feel like there's so many concepts that I never internalized or just plain glossed over, or didn't realize they were an issue in my swing in the first place, otherwise known as How Not to Use Monte's Instructional Videos #101.

I had always glossed over the very first No Turn. I had never thought my hip turn was an issue. Only recently I realized that my turn was excessive and flat (because it didn't look flat on video, to me at least) and is causing me a huge number of issues. After working on a bunch of things a little voice told me to go back and try not to turn at all in the backswing per the very first drill of NTC. I just feel like I'm keeping my left butt check on a wall behind me as I go into the backswing. I feel as unathletic as Mr. Havercamp, but on video I make the perfect 45* hip turn. Going to take a lot of getting used to, but glad I'm able to start internalizing some of the gems here.

Like you, I find the more I watch the videos, the more I realize how much I've glossed over and how important every part is. When I first started NTC I practiced every aspect diligently, but as soon as I saw success on the course I got lazy and only focused on Cast A (not the Cast A drill) because it felt like the missing link for me. Then in my hubris I started overturning again and had to go back to the beginning and focus on my turn only. Then I realized I'd been neglecting Cast B and worked on that. Then...you get it! You have to practice it all.

One thing that has been easy for me to overlook all this time is the body turn after Cast A. It seems like kind of an afterthought as far as the drills go, but I realize now that if you don't practice Cast A along with turning to hit a ball, you're not actually practicing the whole downswing. Simply practicing Cast A doesn't mean you're going to turn through the ball the right way.

In summary, I can safely say I know very little about fixing my own swing, yet I always try to do it and I always fail. Better to stick with a complete program from someone who knows better and not think you can do it yourself.

13 hours ago, higgle-the-elder said:

Like you, I find the more I watch the videos, the more I realize how much I've glossed over and how important every part is. When I first started NTC I practiced every aspect diligently, but as soon as I saw success on the course I got lazy and only focused on Cast A (not the Cast A drill) because it felt like the missing link for me. Then in my hubris I started overturning again and had to go back to the beginning and focus on my turn only. Then I realized I'd been neglecting Cast B and worked on that. Then...you get it! You have to practice it all.

One thing that has been easy for me to overlook all this time is the body turn after Cast A. It seems like kind of an afterthought as far as the drills go, but I realize now that if you don't practice Cast A along with turning to hit a ball, you're not actually practicing the whole downswing. Simply practicing Cast A doesn't mean you're going to turn through the ball the right way.

In summary, I can safely say I know very little about fixing my own swing, yet I always try to do it and I always fail. Better to stick with a complete program from someone who knows better and not think you can do it yourself.

Bump, dump and TURN. 👍🏻

Hey all, 

This may seem like a stupid question.. and likely will be an easy answer (IE dont think about the drill on the course)

But im loving the NTC drill and its completely reworking my swing to the point im enjoying golf again.. but I do struggle with overthinking my swings on the course now (not just focusing on the ball but thinking 'okay.. get arms to 7...now 8... and cast to 8... and through) and there will be more than a few terrible strikes because im clearly thinking of too many things at once.

My question essentially is.. is the drill just something to help build the swing into muscle memory so on the course i just focus on the shot and hope the drills have stuck into muscle memory? Or do you all try and apply the clock system every time you make a shot? 

Thanks in advance :) 

On 11/20/2021 at 5:23 AM, Ciarankez said:

Hey all, 

This may seem like a stupid question.. and likely will be an easy answer (IE dont think about the drill on the course)

But im loving the NTC drill and its completely reworking my swing to the point im enjoying golf again.. but I do struggle with overthinking my swings on the course now (not just focusing on the ball but thinking 'okay.. get arms to 7...now 8... and cast to 8... and through) and there will be more than a few terrible strikes because im clearly thinking of too many things at once.

My question essentially is.. is the drill just something to help build the swing into muscle memory so on the course i just focus on the shot and hope the drills have stuck into muscle memory? Or do you all try and apply the clock system every time you make a shot? 

Thanks in advance 🙂

Don't play golf swing on the course if you're trying to score. One swing thought that's target biased is best, but it's okay to rehearse one of the NTC moves before a shot. 

I prefer thoughts like "Make the fastest part of the swing after the ball", or "Complete your swing".

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Like 2

Hey everyone,

I’ve been a huge Monte fan for a while now. Really love the discussion here. I’ve been trying to groove the NTC for a good year or so now. I tried to get to the clinic out in Jersey but I couldn’t sort it out with my work schedule unfortunately. My swing is getting better slowly and I’ve learned to expect slow, sometimes plateauing progress. 

Lately however, there is one aspect to my swing that I find discerning. My trail elbow gets a bit stuck on my down swing, and I’m forced into a bit of a stall/flip. Or at least that is what my untrained eyes are seeing. Don’t get me wrong. A year and a half ago I was nauseatingly stuck in my down swing. So there has been some improvement. 

I practice with mostly 1/2 and 3/4 swings in my back yard. I’ll post some video below. I was just wondering if anyone has fixed this issue in their own swing. If so, were there any specific areas of NTC that you focused on or even any overly exaggerated feels you used?

Again, love the discussion. Any feedback is so much appreciated. Keep in mind this is roughly a 3/4 swing. 

11 hours ago, absoludicrous said:

Black Friday sale is on now.

Purchased. 

What's the difference between "casting" and just having a bowed wrist? I'm a stronger player and I can really overcook the cast with the method described in the video. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

I just tried the "cast to 8 o'clock" tip. 

The first attempt resulted in the worst shank of my life. But I think I was was too focused on "casting" and didn't turn my hips. 

After that, I was hitting it really really well. Lag increased, even though that seems counterintuitive with the "cast" idea. I added ~2-4mph on my 8 iron ball speed (PRGR isn't that accurate on short iron club speed, but very good on ball speed). I typically average around 118 ball speed and didn't see anything under 120 (on good shots) when I started casting. 

The problem right now - I'm still getting a little over the top and steep, so the ball is starting left. Should I just try casting to 8 o'clock more or try something else? I had some success with a feeling of "swing to right field" but don't know if this is just a band-aid fix.  

lxJHZ60.jpeg

Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

1 hour ago, RCGA said:

The first attempt resulted in the worst shank of my life. But I think I was was too focused on "casting" and didn't turn my hips. 

After that, I was hitting it really really well. Lag increased, even though that seems counterintuitive with the "cast" idea. I added ~2-4mph on my 8 iron ball speed (PRGR isn't that accurate on short iron club speed, but very good on ball speed). I typically average around 118 ball speed and didn't see anything under 120 (on good shots) when I started casting. 

The problem right now - I'm still getting a little over the top and steep, so the ball is starting left. Should I just try casting to 8 o'clock more or try something else? I had some success with a feeling of "swing to right field" but don't know if this is just a band-aid fix.  

lxJHZ60.jpeg

How's your backswing? Maybe you have to be OTT because you're in a poor position.

If your backswing is good then it's just a case of working hard on the move. Honestly, you don't expect to just nail it immediately, right? 

1 hour ago, RCGA said:

lxJHZ60.jpeg

What @TheDeanAbides above states and dont forget the bump. It's bump dump and turn.

Make sure you’re doing Cast A without rotating the shoulders. The transition piece in the video is the prerequisite in order to do the rest. Couple IG videos that might help

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR9adiSldQk/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS155DRFfcd/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rchang72 said:

Doing small wedge swings with whiffle balls to rehab after elbow surgery. In triggering cast A, I started to feel I increase pressure with my thumbs to initiate the cast.  Great compression sounds. Anyone else had similar feel?

I feel it more in the base of my left thumb where it fits into the right hand lifeline, I try and not put pressure on the shaft with my thumbs it seems to add tension to the wrists. Racial ie unlocking is certainly a thumbs down feel mind.

So I picked up Monte's videos and plan to try and use them exclusively this winter to work on my game.  In watching No Turn Cast, I understand that the club will never actually cast out to 8 O'clock, since you will be rotating also.  My question with NTC is, ideally in the transition/downswing, when the club gets back to parallel with the ground, where should the butt of the club be pointing, and where should your belt buckle be pointing.  Should you be all squared up again with the butt pointed at the target and your belt buckle at the ball?  I'm naturally a little steep in my downswing and want to make sure I'm not getting the club too far behind me when trying to cast to 8 O'clock.  I'm sure this must be covered somewhere in this thread, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to search individual threads or forums.  Thanks!

• Confused 1

I've been experimenting with my swing the past week or two by keeping my head back. You see all those tour pros with perfect impact position where somehow they have their weight forward but their upper body and head are still behind the ball. I know for a fact I don't look like that because I've seen the videos of my own swing where my head is all over the place and I'm lunging forward. So still using the ideas from NTC and Broom Force, I simply added that new feel of keeping my head still from the top of the backswing to impact. Another eureka moment. That's literally the only swing thought I had and my playing partner said to me after one well struck 5 iron, "I've never seen your swing look like that before." Well, I'd never felt my swing feel that way before either!

Fast forward to Monte's Black Friday sale and I couldn't help but finally buy the Efficient Swing. All great stuff, and probably more up my alley than NTC and Broom Force because it's a deep dive into the full swing and satisfies my desire to know possibly too much information (and yes, it goes hand in hand with everything else he's ever taught). But the real gem was in the free Wedges series that came with it. Not only is it full of more great stuff, but Monte directly addresses keeping the upper body back on the downswing in the form of secondary tilt. That's all I needed to hear to know I'm on the right track.

I do have one question though: why wasn't it talked about in the Efficient Swing series??? If it was, someone point me to it. For me, secondary tilt is right up there with Cast A as one of the biggest keys to an effective swing, one that sadly was lacking in my own swing my entire life. Maybe that's just me though.

6 hours ago, elsie451 said:

So I picked up Monte's videos and plan to try and use them exclusively this winter to work on my game.  In watching No Turn Cast, I understand that the club will never actually cast out to 8 O'clock, since you will be rotating also.  

Did you watch the video?  Where does Monte's clubhead cast to in the overhead shots?

You may want to watch again...

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, Chonchgolf said:

Anyone else having issues pulling everything?

My "miss" is what seems like is a big pull.  Or at least the ball goes straight left, and sometime left of left with a draw!  But this happens at the range, not so much at the course.  It happens both places for the same reasons - I do not get that "bump" in there before the arms going flying from the top too fast and too much out - the arms just take over and there goes a big sling.

It's all mental...well, almost all.

I'm trying to get a little extra out of the shot (mental idea - bad), get out of sequence, do it wrong, ball left.

Or, I try to get my hips a little more open at impact (mental idea - bad), and end up not turning enough on the backswing, brain knows this, there goes the arms super fast, ball left.

Point being, the matchups and sequencing get wrong.  But the "fix" is to really get down to fundamentals.  Alignment sticks are a must, check that grip, get the right hip depth / turn, and that "bump" has to get things going.  It does not have to be anything dramatic, in fact, the less exaggerated for me, the better, just make sure the sequence is there.  It's really all sequence, the order has to be right, and not overdo any one part.  

So pressure shift into left, a little, just get it going, arms come (depending on your feel) straight down or towards that 8:00, a little, just get it going, then as the club is coming into the ball, the ground force is pushing the left hip back to clear, a little, just get it going.  What I mean by "a little, just get it going" is do not fixate on just the one area and overdo it, get it going, and let it keep going in sync with everything else.

I have found in the 2nd half of this year that matchup is so important, sequence it correctly, get it matched up, then keep powering through the ball.  You have to accept your physical ability at its current speed to produce the X amount of distance possible.  The distance is maxed when the matchups are all in sync.  And if you want more distance, you first get matchups correct, then learn how to speed up all the components together; not at same time, but in sequence; everything has to be faster.

Yesterday on a long par 4 hole that pretty much dictates playing out to the right to avoid three bunkers straight ahead which is a big carry, I tried to go aggressive to carry the bunkers and shorten the hole.  I know my carry distance with Driver is on the edge of what is needed, so I tried to give it some extra, got out of sequence and pulled it left, lucky not to go OB.  Next hole, shorter, but down the left is the speed slot.  I didn't try extra, just committed to the sequence, and nailed it perfect.  Point being, that left comes from out of sequence, not enough rotation which is caused by not being in position to rotate which is caused by not getting in that bump.

• Like 1

Anyone having issues with heel strikes and.....yes....shanks?

I was never a player who hit it off the heel ever. In fact, I had a huge problem with toe hits. I hit maybe 8,000 balls this year and might have hit 2 shanks on the range.

I watched NTC and started hitting it unbelievably well for a week. Now everything is off the heel (pull) and when I try and come inside with the cast, I'm shanking it (or close to it!) like 25% of the time.

Anyone else experience this after trying NTC?

Edited by RCGA

Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5