2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

20 hours ago, scopek said:

I have a question for those here that have been working on Monte's drills. I've been working, again, on his no-turn cast moves as well as some things from the broom force. I went to the range for the first time last week in awhile. I was hitting my irons pretty well and hitting my 7iron ~150 on the fly/carry with range balls, which is pretty good for me. The thing that I noticed, however, was it seemed like it took a lot of effort to hit the ball well. Not sure that makes sense but it seems like after I dropped my arms to the 8 O'Clock position and trying to stay close, that I really had to work hard to turn into impact. It was working, but....My question is, is that just because I'm likely too tense since I'm still trying to learn the swing and should be less effortful over time? Or is it maybe because I'm not used to using the correct muscles and I'll develop more endurance with practice? I know it's kinda a vague question. I just need to make sure this swing is body friendly. Thanks! 

(BTW, I'm over 50 but in relatively decent shape) 

If it feels that you are working your core muscles more you are on the right track.

• Like 2

Are shorter irons harder to shallow than, say, the driver? I find I'm slightly steep on my 9i, but fine with the longer clubs. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

On 2/28/2022 at 8:08 AM, Golfbeat said:

If it feels that you are working your core muscles more you are on the right track.

Yeah, that could be it. I also started using the Planemate as it forces me to shallow as Monte advocates and also forces me to flatten/bow my left wrist. It also will probably force me to rotate with my core after I shallow. I went to the range yesterday and it felt like it took less effort. I'm sure I'm also too tense, but that will hopefully get better as I engrain the movements. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, scopek said:

Yeah, that could be it. I also started using the Planemate as it forces me to shallow as Monte advocates and also forces me to flatten/bow my left wrist. It also will probably force me to rotate with my core after I shallow. I went to the range yesterday and it felt like it took less effort. I'm sure I'm also too tense, but that will hopefully get better as I engrain the movements. 

I was going to suggest Planemate. Also, a heavy dose of the Alex Noren drill.

• Like 1

I have a overswing backswing, stand up, butts move forward and early release. Two years ago an instructor asked me to do a half swing and I thought I did but on video I was still doing the full swing. Frustrated, he asked me to do the 1/3 swing and the same thing happened. Monte's video on the No Turn it makes sense. I will see Monte this Friday for the first time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, khalespace said:

I have a overswing backswing, stand up, butts move forward and early release. Two years ago an instructor asked me to do a half swing and I thought I did but on video I was still doing the full swing. Frustrated, he asked me to do the 1/3 swing and the same thing happened. Monte's video on the No Turn it makes sense. I will see Monte this Friday for the first time.

Just don’t expect miracles. It takes a lot of time and reps to fix an overswing. 

19 hours ago, khalespace said:

Monte has to remind me during clinics and lessons not to overswing. He would have me take a practice swing to ONLY waist high several times to set the feel. I take my full swing at a ball to "waist high" and I have a short iron nearly parallel to the ground with a full swing (I missed the waist high target by a bunch). The feel did stop the overswing, which was the actual goal of the waist high swing. I go back to that swing though often when I get too long.

6 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Just don’t expect miracles. It takes a lot of time and reps to fix an overswing. 

After my experience with the instructor, who was unable to change my swing, from 2 years ago, I understand that fixing a faulty swing is enormously difficult. I plan to do thousand of slow motion reps and refrain to go to the range for a few weeks.

Edited by khalespace

On 3/1/2022 at 1:51 PM, games said:

Maybe it allows you to do it at the rate and in the way it is supposed to be done?  Not the way or at the rate we think it should be done...

Could be...When I look at those using the Planemate it does appear that they wrists change from flexion to extension so that could be the case. I'm going to start using the Planemate more consistently. I think the reason is that it really helps with shallowing and also provides structure without needing an instructor constantly monitoring. It also seems to promote what Monte is teaching 

Edited by scopek

1 hour ago, khalespace said:

After my experience with the instructor, who was unable to change my swing, from 2 years ago, I understand that fixing a faulty swing is enormously difficult. I plan to do thousand of slow motion reps and refrain to go to the range for a few weeks.

I don’t think Monte will recommend skipping the range. Slow motion swings are a great way to build reps, but you have to work at half speed up to full speed too. You just need to make the correct takeaway with the intention of stopping at P3. Over time your swing will sync up and shorten. 

Wow. The No Turn Cast is incredible. I love that Monte included the lessons at the end. I was able to connect my swing with one of the students and it made the sequence make more sense. I'm blown away by the added distance and better ball striking. If you are on the fence about picking up the video, just do it. 

Apologies if this has been asked before but anyone have tips for neutralizing an overdraw? Ball starts on line or a few degrees right and finishes left of target. Been playing in moderate wind and it only magnifies this error. I don't appear to be dropping the trail shoulder on video. I can't seem to do cast A without an excessive in to out path

Is the overdraw on your full speed on course swings or while doing the drills?  Monte has said before that where the ball goes on the drills is pretty much irrelevant.  But if you have an overdraw on full speed on course swings then you probably aren't far off from what you want.  You could be sliding lateral and pushing path to right or stalling body.  What helps me the most is filming my DTL swings.  It's crazy how much different my feel is from what is happening.  I tend to yank on the handle or rotate too fast which makes me steep and OTT.  

5 hours ago, rebel11 said:

Is the overdraw on your full speed on course swings or while doing the drills?  Monte has said before that where the ball goes on the drills is pretty much irrelevant.  But if you have an overdraw on full speed on course swings then you probably aren't far off from what you want.  You could be sliding lateral and pushing path to right or stalling body.  What helps me the most is filming my DTL swings.  It's crazy how much different my feel is from what is happening.  I tend to yank on the handle or rotate too fast which makes me steep and OTT.  

On course. Left has been my predominant miss for most of my golfing life so its not exclusive to NTC. Just trying to figure out how to correct it within this frame work. Couple of weeks ago I was pushing everything so it has to be a path issue? Probably need to dig it out of the dirt.

On 3/17/2022 at 6:47 PM, naj959 said:

On course. Left has been my predominant miss for most of my golfing life so its not exclusive to NTC. Just trying to figure out how to correct it within this frame work. Couple of weeks ago I was pushing everything so it has to be a path issue? Probably need to dig it out of the dirt.

Make sure you’re not dropping your right shoulder when you make cast A. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wolfhammer said:

I know this is probably subjective and different for some, but for anyone having success with the NTC swing, do you feel like you are starting cast A and THEN starting the downswing, or does cast A feel like it STARTS the downswing?

Does that make sense? Probably not, but I feel like I'm SO CLOSE

Good catch, I have same question.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chonchgolf said:

Agreed, my downswing starts with cast A. I think he even says the AMG guys measured the arms fire first before the body does. 

Gotta be careful. 

I think the "actual" pro measurements are:

1. the downswing starts with the body turning a split second before the arms;

2. proper Cast A wrist movement to initiate the downswing;

The FEEL Monte says we amateurs need is engaging Cast A to start the downswing first, before turning the body.

This is the essence of the drill that accompanies Cast A in NTC.

Anything else results in a yanking motion and a goat-pleasing, club-flipping random result.

Question about Cast A and something I experienced. I have been working a Cast A a bit through some slow motion work w/o a ball. I haven't been able to get to the range and used it for the first time during a round a few days ago. My shot shape changes a fair bit, I hit some big fades as in ball starts left and comes back to the right. One of the guys called it a cut at one point. Prior to this I would hit two different types of fades. A push fade, starts right and curves right.  Baby fade, fairly straight with some left to right motion.

Have any of you run across this type of change? It was pretty significant to me but it's also the first time having Cast A be such a part of my swing, so this could change as I adjust to things.

1 hour ago, bortass said:

Question about Cast A and something I experienced. I have been working a Cast A a bit through some slow motion work w/o a ball. I haven't been able to get to the range and used it for the first time during a round a few days ago. My shot shape changes a fair bit, I hit some big fades as in ball starts left and comes back to the right. One of the guys called it a cut at one point. Prior to this I would hit two different types of fades. A push fade, starts right and curves right.  Baby fade, fairly straight with some left to right motion.

Have any of you run across this type of change? It was pretty significant to me but it's also the first time having Cast A be such a part of my swing, so this could change as I adjust to things.

Post a swing, buddy.

On 3/20/2022 at 7:43 AM, TheDeanAbides said:

You have to bump left first. It’s very clearly stated in the NTC video series. 

I also think that it is important to mention that you do not only stay closed to the target longer ( no turn) but that your body is also inclined (left shoulder down, staying in posture) in the down swing. The cast A will make your arms shallow which creates a need for a steeper body. If you were used to steep arms you were probably used to stand up to hit the ball. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Golfbeat said:

I also think that it is important to mention that you do not only stay closed to the target longer ( no turn) but that your body is also inclined (left shoulder down, staying in posture) in the down swing. The cast A will make your arms shallow which creates a need for a steeper body. If you were used to steep arms you were probably used to stand up to hit the ball. 

Yes, dropping the right shoulder is the road to hell.

On 3/18/2022 at 11:26 PM, TheDeanAbides said:

Make sure you’re not dropping your right shoulder when you make cast A. 

Good call. Had a long range session yesterday trying to stay in left tilt longer in transition. Hook turned into a ball that just falls left after apex. Looked closer at some vid from last week and I do have a very subtle drop of trail shoulder and EE when I go full send mode. Will monitor for now on. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1