Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

i have had Montes video for a while and just glanced over it.I decided to go with it in a more serious practice session,I started out with foam balls in the back yard and the transition felt pretty smooth on the down swing.

I went to the range and started with the gap wedge just making slow swings so I could feel the movements and it was good then the six iron some really good ones but I did hit a few thin and super low duck hooks but for the most part it was a good experience.

I the went to the driver and that worked out better than I thought it would and one thing I noticed the swing felt effortless by doing want Monte wanted…..I hope it was what Monte was trying to teach but it was a good session.

One thing that may have helped I always moved my hands and arms a little back to help shallow the club so that was not new.

Does it make sense that I've gotten more steep as I've continued to work on these moves? I'm not making super deep divots but it's definitely more than I used to and at times I'm having trouble launching it high when I want to. I'm still too much in-to-out which I know can translate to more steep but I've never had issues launching it. 

I've been doing more reduced speed work to really try and feel the shallowing motion but I can't seem to make it translate when I add speed. I have gotten my hips working a lot better and it feels really close but just can't get rid of ingrained bad habits. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

2 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Does it make sense that I've gotten more steep as I've continued to work on these moves? I'm not making super deep divots but it's definitely more than I used to and at times I'm having trouble launching it high when I want to. I'm still too much in-to-out which I know can translate to more steep but I've never had issues launching it. 

I've been doing more reduced speed work to really try and feel the shallowing motion but I can't seem to make it translate when I add speed. I have gotten my hips working a lot better and it feels really close but just can't get rid of ingrained bad habits. 

My swing was getting away from me a bit with similar issues. I was trying too hard to throw out of the transition and my backswing was completely out of whack to try to compensate for the feel/position it at full speed and I ended up steeper and like 10 degrees down on a 7 iron. 

I'm currently going back and working my backswing and transition sequence slowly. Backswing I have two movements in sequence which is pressure right and hinge wrists, transition it's pelvis back and down and cast to 8 at the same time. Then I turn as hard as I want. 

I'm giving myself a bit of a break on the course to learn a new sequence, and I'm sure Monte would bap me on the head a bit for the number of swing thoughts, but I try to keep them in a sequence which literally sounds in my head like "Preeeeeeeeeeeeesure-hinge! Pel-caaaaaaaaast-visTURN". 

• Like 1

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

While I believe this is the single best drill, philosophy, technique etc, I just cant seem to overcome my .02 cent brain and the impulse/instinct to start the downswing with the hands when hitting a ball "for real". I record all my range sessions and have been working with this for about 6 months. Overall I know it has improved my ball striking, as I make a cleaner turn and consistent wrist set. I do see the shaft flattening during downswing, however the initial move from back to down just makes my blood boil, as it a straight pull down.

I have a set up in my yard, but need to use foam balls, and since flight result isnt imperative I've recently been hitting some 25-50 balls per day in to the net just focusing on drill, not taking actual swing, is possible this make be counter productive?

17 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Post a swing. 🙂

13 hours ago, Tpfol said:

While I believe this is the single best drill, philosophy, technique etc, I just cant seem to overcome my .02 cent brain and the impulse/instinct to start the downswing with the hands when hitting a ball "for real". I record all my range sessions and have been working with this for about 6 months. Overall I know it has improved my ball striking, as I make a cleaner turn and consistent wrist set. I do see the shaft flattening during downswing, however the initial move from back to down just makes my blood boil, as it a straight pull down.

I have a set up in my yard, but need to use foam balls, and since flight result isnt imperative I've recently been hitting some 25-50 balls per day in to the net just focusing on drill, not taking actual swing, is possible this make be counter productive?

You have to ingrain the moves at slower speeds until you’ve rewired those neural pathways. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You have to ingrain the moves at slower speeds until you’ve rewired those neural pathways. 

Im impressed you were able to sort thru my long winded question and actually respond to what I was trying to ask! Would hitting foam balls in to a net be a productive way to try to rewire as suggested? 

52 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

Im impressed you were able to sort thru my long winded question and actually respond to what I was trying to ask! Would hitting foam balls in to a net be a productive way to try to rewire as suggested? 

it’s a good start. It’ll allow you to focus on the movements rather than the result. 👍🏻

Had a bit of a breakthrough with cast A today while messing around at the range. Monte has always said that the casting motion will create lag and holding the lag will produce a cast. Today I finally felt the opposite force when making cast A, the club resisting the cast and the hands working down into a crisp impact. It felt effortless and powerful. From the top of the backswing for the first time I felt the club head working against my hands all way into impact and cast B. Hopefully this isn’t fleeting because this feels like my key to pure ball striking and low single digits.

2 minutes ago, Chonchgolf said:

Here are my results after working on NTC for the past 6 months. Arms roll and come across my body in the take away and it looks like I’m all arms (doesn’t feel this way).  Overall NTC has made golf much more enjoyable for me

Too close to the ball and too upright at address making it hard to get things done.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Did myself a favor today.  Passed up 18 holes this morning.  I wasn't feeling that confident, didn't want to spend a round tinkering.  I have a more important round Wednesday.  So instead, went to the range, 95 balls, put down some alignment sticks at 12:00 and 8:00, and worked my way through NTC.  

First, get to P2, and just give it a little cast B with rotation, not much speed, get the ball starting down the line.  10 balls

Second, get to P3/ 7:00, more cast B with rotation, not much speed, slapping 8i 100 yards. 10 balls

Third, get to 8:00, cast A only, turn, expect ball to go left, not thinking cast B. 10 balls

Fourth, get to 8:00, buy some time with the shift while deliberate cast A, then B, still 8 iron, ~ 70% speed. 10 balls

Fifth, put it all together, normal speed 8i. 10 balls

Sixth, switch to 6i, normal speed. 5 balls

Seventh, switch to 3W, 5 balls

Eighth, Driver. 5 balls

Ninth, choose target 110 yards, hit gap, PW, 9i... Switching around 10 balls

Tenth, hit a few 5i for the hell of it

Give last 15 or so balls to the kids, head to the short game area for 15 minutes chipping and 15 minutes putting.

Feel great!

Edited by CasualLie
  • Like 1

My focus lately has been the backswing and hip movement. I’ve slowed down my hips on the backswing and although I still pull it inside, I feel like I’m in a decent spot at  P3, which is what Monte wants in the NTC videos. I’ve also shortened my backswing a bit (less excess arm movement) and have cleaned up my early extension on the downswing. I used to lift my trail heel immediately and kick my trail knee in.  Now my thought is simply getting my lead hip back and the rotation takes care of itself. Not a ton of ball striking results yet but I’m feeling better technically.

Edited by dsmil

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

1 minute ago, Precis1on said:

Hope folks are enjoying their 70 yard 7 irons this week!

Genius, that’s the way you get better.  At slower speeds you can feel movements better and makes it easier to reproduce at high speed.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, games said:

Such a suck-up and overachiever.  Just because I do my new moves at 150 yards and don't make any long-term progress doesn't make you better than...  um...  never mind...

150 yards include my best Elvis impressions. 

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

On 4/28/2022 at 2:30 AM, TheDeanAbides said:

Post a swing. 🙂

One is full speed the other is paused. It seems I still have the same issues, hips not working enough so I don’t get enough depth, which causes the club to cross the line. I just can’t that club pointing left coming down. It’s more organized with the pause but still not great.

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

4 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

One is full speed the other is paused. It seems I still have the same issues, hips not working enough so I don’t get enough depth, which causes the club to cross the line. I just can’t that club pointing left coming down. It’s more organized with the pause but still not great.

You can see from your lower body action from transition that you’re a good player, but you give yourself so much work to do to get to the ball consistently.

25234E44-2F28-4211-8137-BB9FB031601A.jpeg.35a5e097dc38a8b3e14b8c3b8e7bfedb.jpegLook at a where the club is pointing at P3. You have no choice but to manipulate it to get on plane from here. Your wrists have barely cocked at all. You need to feel like your hands and wrists get you to P3 on plane and then they have nothing to do to the top. 

It looks like your weight is a bit to far forward on your right foot too. It wants to be planted in the right heel which will help your hips here. 

4B5BA184-3C55-4BF9-B830-0FA9F9760A12.png.9b74f1653f554af44b6de41196a06451.png

This is always going to be tricky to play with - especially with your tempo. You’ve had to lift your arms to get here from the previous P3 position. Get P3 correct and the rest of the backswing is just a small turn of the shoulders. It simplifies and makes your swing compact.

FBE04056-4114-4068-8EDC-0A73FB28B057.png.354e92f96643b9c52e9c572d95402c1e.pngNo player as good as you wants to have to be here to get back to the ball. 

• Like 1

Tbh from this dtl the only thing that stands out there that you need to work on is pointing your thumbs to the sky.  Your shoulders are tilted fine, your arms are in a good position in front of the chest, knee flex and hip tilt good. 

Stop there and hit balls, video and have a look if this clears up the collapse of the arms in the downswing. Try and get the shaft closer to the right shoulder at left arm parallel.

Tip - try pressuring the left thumb with the right palm in the takeaway that gets the left wrist flat and the club steeper.

image.png.8b87a4b2c8aa936afd85705dcdc527ca.png

Edited by Hilts1969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

@TLUBulldogGolf I bet that a FO view will show that you have about 45* of angle between your shaft and arm at P3 instead of 90*. That’s what I mean about getting into a position there where you can just turn and be in the slot at the top.

So earlier and more vertical hinge to P3. I’ve been trying to get there but it won’t happen with speed, need to do more slow speed work. Is the weight issue a reaction to the club going up or do you think that could help resolve the hip action? To me the hips are noticeably better when I pause.

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

edit: double post

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

I've really been working on keeping the arms inside my chest in the backswing which has been plaguing me since I began playing (IE swinging with the arms). Finally feel like I'm making progress now and have mainly been working on NTC and the trail foot slapshot movement from Broomforce. My 8 iron ball speed has gone up from 115 to 123 at the top end, where 115 before was full effort and can now be achieved with what feels like 60-70%. My personal feeling for hand path on the downswing is firing them towards my right pocket while keeping the chest closed. How is it looking?