2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite (in my previous post I mentioned how wrong I was to stray from NTC), has anyone done the famous Faldo preset drill in conjunction with Cast A?

I had a bit of a frustrating range session the other day and just couldn’t get synced up with my driver, even with the NTC drills. I went back to Nick Faldo’s preset drill, something I experimented with in the past pre-NTC and had pretty good luck with. But this time it was preset, turn, Cast A and I was bombing every drive dead straight. It felt so easy and free that I wondered where this feeling was all my life.

However, before I stray too far, I’d like to get some feedback on combining these two drills/ideas. I get the feeling the preset drill is compatible with NTC and just another way of getting to the right position at the top and getting an early wrist set but would like some experts to chime in.

1 hour ago, higgle-the-elder said:

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite (in my previous post I mentioned how wrong I was to stray from NTC), has anyone done the famous Faldo preset drill in conjunction with Cast A?

I had a bit of a frustrating range session the other day and just couldn’t get synced up with my driver, even with the NTC drills. I went back to Nick Faldo’s preset drill, something I experimented with in the past pre-NTC and had pretty good luck with. But this time it was preset, turn, Cast A and I was bombing every drive dead straight. It felt so easy and free that I wondered where this feeling was all my life.

However, before I stray too far, I’d like to get some feedback on combining these two drills/ideas. I get the feeling the preset drill is compatible with NTC and just another way of getting to the right position at the top and getting an early wrist set but would like some experts to chime in.

The preset drill is fine but it doesn’t help you to solve the problem of finding the correct sequence in the backswing. It’s great for getting you to a solid P4 though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started believing in No Turn & Cast again, but I really don't get the holding the shoulders (in the video Monte says 'like Justin Rose') back while simultaneously casting toward 8 o'clock. When I'm set at the top I'm ready to go. How do you hold back and cast with any force?

1 hour ago, Xander Fan said:

I just started believing in No Turn & Cast again, but I really don't get the holding the shoulders (in the video Monte says 'like Justin Rose') back while simultaneously casting toward 8 o'clock. When I'm set at the top I'm ready to go. How do you hold back and cast with any force?

I believe you mainly just want to feel like you're holding your back to the target just a tad longer. I believe the intention here is to get your arms synced up better with the body.

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

6 hours ago, Xander Fan said:

When you’re set at the top and ready to go you go, BUT you don’t go with the shoulders. Go look at someone like Rory in slow motion.  He hits it miles, but at P6 his shoulders are still more closed than most ams in transition. However, he’s dropped his arms into the hitting zone and got them off his chest so that he’s not stuck. From here he just fires hard through the ball. 

This process - the correct sequence - can be seen in Monte’s bump, dump and turn video on YouTube. The only thing he’s added in NTC is the cast aspect. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

When you’re set at the top and ready to go you go, BUT you don’t go with the shoulders. Go look at someone like Rory in slow motion.  He hits it miles, but at P6 his shoulders are still more closed than most ams in transition. However, he’s dropped his arms into the hitting zone and got them off his chest so that he’s not stuck. From here he just fires hard through the ball. 

This process - the correct sequence - can be seen in Monte’s bump, dump and turn video on YouTube. The only thing he’s added in NTC is the cast aspect. 

Thanks. That helps. And he does have the hips moving first in the NTC video. So the new version of the Youtube video would be: Bump, Cast & Turn.

Another important part is the falling toward the lead side or flexing the lead leg more. That move will keep the shoulders closed a bit longer or back to the target. Most ams (me including) spin out with the shoulders during transition. The wall drill is a good drill to blend correct arm, transition and body movements. 

I know the pressuring left frees up my swing and gives all the time in the world to cast to 8 and then rotate.

5 hours ago, BeenWild said:

Another important part is the falling toward the lead side or flexing the lead leg more. That move will keep the shoulders closed a bit longer or back to the target. Most ams (me including) spin out with the shoulders during transition. The wall drill is a good drill to blend correct arm, transition and body movements. 

I know the pressuring left frees up my swing and gives all the time in the world to cast to 8 and then rotate.

That’s the bump

• Like 2

I broke my left wrist 5ish years ago and am struggling with some lead wrist pain while working on cast a. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, were you able to figure out how to make the move work for you? Any suggestions at all… Wrist strengthening exercises, weaker/stronger grip, some sort of move to alleviate some of the pressure on the wrist while bowing?

Edited by Steepest22
grammar

I’m curious if others have experienced this. I’ve been able to do well with the no turn cast so I wanted to get on track man indoors to get some idea of numbers compared to before. I noticed that my AOA for my short and long irons aren’t as steep anymore. For example, irons are about -2. My 7 wood is -1.5. Driver is +2. I’m curious if others have ideas if this no turn cast makes people who used to be steeper to now be a shallower. 

8 hours ago, gsrjc said:

I’m curious if others have experienced this. I’ve been able to do well with the no turn cast so I wanted to get on track man indoors to get some idea of numbers compared to before. I noticed that my AOA for my short and long irons aren’t as steep anymore. For example, irons are about -2. My 7 wood is -1.5. Driver is +2. I’m curious if others have ideas if this no turn cast makes people who used to be steeper to now be a shallower. 

That’s basically the point of it. Shallowing you out in the correct manner and getting you on plane and in sync.

I bought NTC and love it so far. Hard to get it all at once but working at it slowly. The "pure shots" when I get the sequence right is magic...like 20+ yards further than my typical distances and so effortless and pure. 

Anyway, my question is, are there any videos where Monte actually shows a full NTC swing in slow motion (not piece by piece)? Because as he says the feel isn't real, so I want to know what to look for in my videos to know if I am doing it right or not. Specifically, I feel like a "real swing" will get closer to parallel at the top, where as Turn B doesn't really get you there when you are learning the positions. Does anyone else's full-speed swing take you farther back on the backswing than the Turn B position as taught in the videos? Or am I going too far in my backswing if my position at the top has the club closer to parallel than what Monte shows at the apex of Turn B?

Thanks! 

16 minutes ago, Corona King said:

I bought NTC and love it so far. Hard to get it all at once but working at it slowly. The "pure shots" when I get the sequence right is magic...like 20+ yards further than my typical distances and so effortless and pure. 

Anyway, my question is, are there any videos where Monte actually shows a full NTC swing in slow motion (not piece by piece)? Because as he says the feel isn't real, so I want to know what to look for in my videos to know if I am doing it right or not. Specifically, I feel like a "real swing" will get closer to parallel at the top, where as Turn B doesn't really get you there when you are learning the positions. Does anyone else's full-speed swing take you farther back on the backswing than the Turn B position as taught in the videos? Or am I going too far in my backswing if my position at the top has the club closer to parallel than what Monte shows at the apex of Turn B?

Thanks! 

A "full" NTC would just be a good golf swing without any unorthodox mechanics. Look at a video of Monte hitting a full swing, or pro like Justin Rose for that matter.

If you mean a swing where he does Cast A and continues a bit further down, then I think I've seen that on his Instagram at some point, but don't remember when.

Edited by Trippels

2 hours ago, Corona King said:

Of course it won't work instantly, it's not a quick fix. It's a sound basis for a repeatable swing. 

Great to hear you are going down this path. It will make the game so much more fun and easier once you get it right. You'll have misses, but less and less even practicing NTC.

keep on the good work 

8 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

That’s basically the point of it. Shallowing you out in the correct manner and getting you on plane and in sync.

Oh good to know. I had bought the NTC series but perhaps I missed that part of it. I’m hitting it well but just didn’t know that was end results. Thanks for educating me. 

On 6/27/2022 at 3:41 PM, Steepest22 said:

I broke my left wrist 5ish years ago and am struggling with some lead wrist pain while working on cast a. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, were you able to figure out how to make the move work for you? Any suggestions at all… Wrist strengthening exercises, weaker/stronger grip, some sort of move to alleviate some of the pressure on the wrist while bowing?

When I first started with NTC I got some pretty bad wrist tendonitis.  It eventually worked itself out and no issues now.  I used some wrist tape to keep playing through it.

Is it at all possible to learn the important fundamentals/nuances regarding this drill without wading through 70 pages of posts? Has anyone made a digest of all the important posts? - Thanks! 🙂

Edited by Joe Duffer

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

8 minutes ago, Joe Duffer said:

Is it at all possible to learn the important fundamentals/nuances regarding this drill without wading through 70 pages of posts? Has anyone made a digest of all the important posts? - Thanks! 🙂

Did you purchase the video?  He has some questions and answers in some of his videos.   Check his Instagram page

4 hours ago, DennyJones said:

Did you purchase the video?  He has some questions and answers in some of his videos.   Check his Instagram page

No, I haven't. Can you please provide a link?

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

Was very inconsistent with practice today. Can anyone please give me some No Turn Cast tips. Was mostly focused on the backswing, knee transition, and Cast A. I feel like I am definitely not doing Cast A right but am struggling to get a feel that makes me do it. Thanks!

What I see in my own swing right off the bat is a very turn-y takeaway. When I do it, it feels like it is all arms and then a bit of a turn. But when I see it in slow mo, it is all turn and then a bunch of arms at the end. Kind of the opposite of what Monte suggests. Am I diagnosing myself right?

Edited by Corona King

28 minutes ago, Corona King said:

Was very inconsistent with practice today. Can anyone please give me some No Turn Cast tips. Was mostly focused on the backswing, knee transition, and Cast A. I feel like I am definitely not doing Cast A right but am struggling to get a feel that makes me do it. Thanks!

What I see in my own swing right off the bat is a very turn-y takeaway. When I do it, it feels like it is all arms and then a bit of a turn. But when I see it in slow mo, it is all turn and then a bunch of arms at the end. Kind of the opposite of what Monte suggests. Am I diagnosing myself right?

I was expecting some horrible mess but I like you're action. I'll let the experts do their thing but seems like you have a good base to work from. 

Edited by naj959

Bought the video a couple of months ago, and just been working on the backswing until last week. So I've started working on the cast A , not thinking about cast B yet. Also using the tour striker ball in conjunction with this drill as I have a tendency to separate my elbows on the downswing.

Just after some feedback/tips.

And apologies about the poor quality video.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, calebm12 said:

New to the forum and new to NTC. Been reading through the thread and have seen several references to Monte’s IG Q&A on the NTC.  I can’t seem to find it on his Instagram.  Anyone have a direct link? 

Tried to paste it, doesn't work. Google monte NTC live Instagram and it shows up a few links down

Edited by Trippels