Am I the only one experiencing this total BS on the course?

Tournament golf you have to resign yourself to slow play. It's not the time to try to do a cranialrectalectomy. It's up to the TD to enforce pace of play. 

You don't need to do the police line thing. You can still get to your ball before the proper player hits.  If they have to hunt for a ball or wait for a ruling you can go ahead and hit if the rest of the group isn't even close to being ready.

What you can't do is get annoyed and try to force things by playing out of turn. In my experience it doesn't work out well as you've just experienced.

When I have to slow down, I don't even get my yardage till the immediate player behind you is about to hit.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

its more than the slow play.  its also the lack of etiquette and understanding of the rules and flow of a round of golf.  Add the fact that about half the number of tee times are available these days and that they get snatched up by someone that picked up a used set a week ago and decided to give "golfing" another go since well covid and all .. sprinkle in (for me at least) no walk ons for quick midweek rounds and it can get annoying if not downright disruptive.  playing with people that cry about "i paid for this tee time just like the next guy!! we're gonna have a problem if he tells me to speed up one more time" (true quote from a few weeks ago) while being 2 holes behind and waiting on this guy to hit 8-10 shots per hole .. it's not gonna destroy the game but .. damn

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Par6Golf said:

When the pandemic is over will they stop playing or is this going to carry over? It’s great for the game to have so many new people out there but still...it’s unbelievable how slow it is.

If I had to guess, I’d say no chance. 

I’m guessing most C-19 golfers are in the food service industry and there just isn’t a need for them at this time. Waiters, waitresses, cooks, bartenders, etc. Also airline workers.  Less so, I’d say dental hygienists, and nurses in clinics. Nobody’s going to the dentist or doctor unless they absolutely have to. 

I imagine when/if those industries make it through this, daytime golf will go back to normal with retirees and night shift workers. 

On 9/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

This is just a rant and to vent my frustrations. 

Ever since this pandemic has started. My group and I have been experiencing more and more groups of 5 or 6 players in one group. I’ve also experienced this in Las Vegas. It’s like they book the 2 tee time slots. And then purposely group up after a few holes. I have gotten into verbal altercations on multiple times, club house refusing to send someone out, and much longer rounds. If these guys were able to stay on pace. And not keep anyone waiting. I would not complain one bit. But that’s just not the case.  My last round I played 2 days ago took almost 7 hours cause of a group of 6 that wouldn’t allow us to go through. Which also involved a verbal confrontation and no help from the clubhouse. The only thing the clubhouse would offer was for us to go back to the front 9 that was completely open according to the guy in the clubhouse. He was dead wrong and we ended getting stuck again. Refused to give us a rain check.  Anyway my rant is over for now. 

Out of curiosity - could you dispute the charge on your CC.  If armed with this ability, you could skip/jump the group/holes (because if they are that slow, there should be a huge gap in front of them).  Then dispute the charge.  My CC doesn't even question the reason I dispute the charge. (but may be CC specific)

On 9/10/2020 at 7:32 AM, milesgiles said:

Possibly the most ridiculous perspective I’ve ever seen on wrx. Why only 7 hours? Why not 12? Assume trolling 

Agreed. Absolutely ridiculous. Dozens of people behind you should have to sit around with their thumbs up their arse and waste half their day because you want a casual stroll chasing butterflies and want to check your phone and talk to your buddies instead of playing ready golf? Excessively slow play is a great example of today's attitude of entitlement and lack of common courtesy.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 12:06 PM, Oldboy said:

its more than the slow play.  its also the lack of etiquette and understanding of the rules and flow of a round of golf.  Add the fact that about half the number of tee times are available these days and that they get snatched up by someone that picked up a used set a week ago and decided to give "golfing" another go since well covid and all .. sprinkle in (for me at least) no walk ons for quick midweek rounds and it can get annoying if not downright disruptive.  playing with people that cry about "i paid for this tee time just like the next guy!! we're gonna have a problem if he tells me to speed up one more time" (true quote from a few weeks ago) while being 2 holes behind and waiting on this guy to hit 8-10 shots per hole .. it's not gonna destroy the game but .. damn

I don't even care if you're hitting 8-10 shots per hole, if you're playing ready golf, you'll still be fine. Okay, 8-10 might be a bit extreme, but the point is you don't have to be a great golfer to maintain a decent pace.

My wife has only been playing for a few years, and still isn't very good (most scores are between 105-115, she has broken 50 for 9 but not yet 100 for 18), and when it's the two of us, we play 18 in 3 hours or a little more without rushing at all. She regularly plays with a group of her friends as well (one is a little better than her, the other two a little worse), and in spite of it always being a VERY social occasion for them, with loads of chatter, if there's nobody in front of them, they're always under 4 hours for 18 holes. 

If you just play ready golf, don't take a million practice swings, don't take 5 minutes over a putt, and clear the green as soon as you're done, even if you suck, you'll keep things moving well enough to be fair and considerate to the groups behind you.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2020 at 10:57 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Out of curiosity - could you dispute the charge on your CC.  If armed with this ability, you could skip/jump the group/holes (because if they are that slow, there should be a huge gap in front of them).  Then dispute the charge.  My CC doesn't even question the reason I dispute the charge. (but may be CC specific)

On what basis would you dispute the charge ? Surely the bank asks you, no ?

Wouldn't matter though. The course would probably just recharge the card and then you'd have to take it up with them directly as the bank wouldn't allow you to dispute the charge a 2nd time - at least that's what my bank told me a few years ago when I disputed a charge. 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

10 hours ago, nsxguy said:

On what basis would you dispute the charge ? Surely the bank asks you, no ?

Wouldn't matter though. The course would probably just recharge the card and then you'd have to take it up with them directly as the bank wouldn't allow you to dispute the charge a 2nd time - at least that's what my bank told me a few years ago when I disputed a charge. 

When I've disputed with my CC before, usually they give a refund right away. However, someone from their dispute or fraud department will open an investigation. Including calling the place of business to see what happened.

Then they call me and tell me the other sides statement on what happened. The course could easily challenge it. Then it's up to the CC company to see if the amount charged is enough to continue looking into it. As you said I'd bet if they see a pattern from the CC user or business they could allow or not allow further disputes as well.

1 hour ago, Warrior42111 said:

When I've disputed with my CC before, usually they give a refund right away. However, someone from their dispute or fraud department will open an investigation. Including calling the place of business to see what happened.

Then they call me and tell me the other sides statement on what happened. The course could easily challenge it. Then it's up to the CC company to see if the amount charged is enough to continue looking into it. As you said I'd bet if they see a pattern from the CC user or business they could allow or not allow further disputes as well.

Agreed. My bank also credited my card right away - but that's when they told me that IF the charging company reinstated the charge I'd then have to deal with that company on my own.

But I expect, unless it's a rather large amount (no idea what that amount might be), they don't call anybody. They most likely send some sort of electronic notice that such-and-such a charge was disputed along with the reason and the merchant goes from there. And since one is dealing with the bank (not Visa/MC), there are all sorts of variations on the chargeback process.

I'm sure the merchant account holders know their options/requirements/etc. for when a charge is disputed.

I was mostly curious about what reason the poster would give for disputing the charge for playing golf due to skipping a hole. "The course was too slow" ??? :classic_unsure: 

I'd have to think the golf course would most likely reinstate the charge and have the golfer come to them to complain. ¯\_()_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I have seen more golf carts on tee boxes, greens, native area, etc. more than any other year ever.  I have also noticed more people showing up at 7:35am for a 7:30 tee time.  This is the one thing that blows my mind.  Would normally see it once a year, but have seen it a dozen times this year. 

57 minutes ago, charli said:

At my club we are dealing with pace of play

Issues and just a lack of course etiquette in general. Same thing the pros won’t come out at all. In fact, our pro takes off sundays. So I guess there are no rules 

At our course, we, as members, will often remind other players, whether fellow members or green fee players, about the course rules.  Never seen a confrontation develop - it's all about the approach and how it's done.  It's quite often appreciated.

51 minutes ago, rogolf said:

At our course, we, as members, will often remind other players, whether fellow members or green fee players, about the course rules.  Never seen a confrontation develop - it's all about the approach and how it's done.  It's quite often appreciated.

Yeah whenever I meet a new member I always try to let them know three basic rules. Pace of play, fix your divots and ball marks. Really can’t go wrong. But the issue is normally we don’t see it until we’re on the course. And you’d think the pro or his staff would come out and enforce their pace of play that they determined was appropriate 

40 minutes ago, charli said:

Yeah whenever I meet a new member I always try to let them know three basic rules. Pace of play, fix your divots and ball marks. Really can’t go wrong. But the issue is normally we don’t see it until we’re on the course. And you’d think the pro or his staff would come out and enforce their pace of play that they determined was appropriate 

We, as members, also remind others already playing on the course, whether they are in our group(s) or not.  And, as noted, it's all in the approach and usually well-received.  Sometimes it starts as, "hey guys, what did the pro shop tell you about power carts?"  That gives an easy chance to deny, and the answer is usually, "Nothing."  And the return is, "Ok, here are the procedures....., thanks."

100 % seeing this too. Usually with some combo of 4/5 different carts.  Looks like a block party on every hole.   

our clubs rounds have gone through the roof.  You can’t get out on afternoon weekdays now.  Us members ( semi private ) are relegated to our blocked times  on Saturday morning now.  

it’s a yahoo convention for sure.  Slow doesn’t even begin to describe it.  It took is from 8 am to 1240 to play Saturday morning.  And there were only 3 groups in front of our 8 group dogfight.  Why they let 3 groups out in front of us I’ll never know.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 11/13/2020 at 11:16 AM, nsxguy said:

Agreed. My bank also credited my card right away - but that's when they told me that IF the charging company reinstated the charge I'd then have to deal with that company on my own.

But I expect, unless it's a rather large amount (no idea what that amount might be), they don't call anybody. They most likely send some sort of electronic notice that such-and-such a charge was disputed along with the reason and the merchant goes from there. And since one is dealing with the bank (not Visa/MC), there are all sorts of variations on the chargeback process.

I'm sure the merchant account holders know their options/requirements/etc. for when a charge is disputed.

I was mostly curious about what reason the poster would give for disputing the charge for playing golf due to skipping a hole. "The course was too slow" ??? :classic_unsure: 

I'd have to think the golf course would most likely reinstate the charge and have the golfer come to them to complain. ¯\_()_/¯

So here’s how the chargeback proceeds works. 

You initiate a chargeback .... the bank then send it over to the merchants processing bank which then will pull the funds from their deposit account , without notice.  

in 3-5 days they’ll mail out a chargeback letter notifying the business of a funds chargeback , with a number to call to dispute it.   

the business can dispute it by showing signature on receipt or PIN number entered at terminal.   This proves the customer agreed to the charges.  This will get the chargeback reversed IF there’s been no reason given for the chargeback  to begin with. Essentially puts the ball back into the customers court.  Now....

he or she can then amend the chargeback and add a reason such as “ poor service “ or “ breach of contract “ etc. but must then provide some sort of documentation to show this. Email conversation, statement from witness , text etc.   people use this method to eat free at high end restaurants at alarming rate.  Very very common.  Just say “ my soup was cold and I didn’t get a 4th refill “.  And you’ll eventually get to keep the money.  Its basically a game that is pretty heavily stacked toward the customer , if he or she has some form of proof , or if the vendor doesn’t argue it.  On small tickets they usually don’t get argued.  It’s literally not worth the time or payroll to spend 4-5 hours fighting for $80.  You just put it in the right off pile for the quarter.  

• Thanks 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 9/23/2020 at 10:34 AM, SecondandGoal said:

Agreed. Absolutely ridiculous. Dozens of people behind you should have to sit around with their thumbs up their arse and waste half their day because you want a casual stroll chasing butterflies and want to check your phone and talk to your buddies instead of playing ready golf? Excessively slow play is a great example of today's attitude of entitlement and lack of common courtesy.

I agree with this. People taking their time with a casual round of 7 hours, when there is 10 groups behind them waiting, is like someone driving 40 mph in the middle lane on the interstate.

Too many people think golf is like bowling, you decide to play one day, and go out there.

• Sad 1

@I'dRatherBGolfing Ranting here isn't going to help elevate what happen, least it wouldn't with me.  I'd write a polite but frustrating letter to the head Pro and copy the GM explaining what happened to your group, as a result of that 6-some.  Include that others are going to want to know how the club manages players abusing conditions. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

On 9/10/2020 at 9:36 PM, rogolf said:

Be careful of the PC police!

Or the RCMP?

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

• 3 weeks later...

On the flip side this summer we had 6 go out, 3 and 3. 

Then the course got backlogged, not a result of us. 

At one point our first 3 some, my 3 some, and the 4 some behind us were all waiting to tee off. 

The 4 some behind us realized we were friends and suggested we make a 6 some. 

That actually sped things up a bit for those behind us