Am I the only one experiencing this total BS on the course?

This is just a rant and to vent my frustrations. 

Ever since this pandemic has started. My group and I have been experiencing more and more groups of 5 or 6 players in one group. I’ve also experienced this in Las Vegas. It’s like they book the 2 tee time slots. And then purposely group up after a few holes. I have gotten into verbal altercations on multiple times, club house refusing to send someone out, and much longer rounds. If these guys were able to stay on pace. And not keep anyone waiting. I would not complain one bit. But that’s just not the case.  My last round I played 2 days ago took almost 7 hours cause of a group of 6 that wouldn’t allow us to go through. Which also involved a verbal confrontation and no help from the clubhouse. The only thing the clubhouse would offer was for us to go back to the front 9 that was completely open according to the guy in the clubhouse. He was dead wrong and we ended getting stuck again. Refused to give us a rain check.  Anyway my rant is over for now. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Don’t play there?

Agreed, 7 hours to play  is nuts. The club chooses not to address it,  take your business elsewhere. Let them figure why revenue is down. Others will notice delays in play too

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Lol, it’s not just 1 course. It’s happened on different courses also. Not saying it happens every time I play. But something I’ve noticed since the pandemic. Hard to know what you are gonna get yourself into before any round. I can get first tee time. And clearly it wouldn’t be a problem. But sometimes I don’t get first out. I guess people just don’t respect others. Especially how things are going on in this world. 

Golf sells itself as a relaxing time out in nature with friends having a casual competition without a care in the world. It’s an escape from the hustle and bustle of the rat race. The idyllic image of golf is to play a leisurely 9, stroll inside, sit down and have lunch, then head back out and play the back. What’s the hurry? We’re golfing. 

This is the image of golf many Covid golfers, I am sure, picture what a round of golf should be. Just a large collection of people with sticks, hitting balls toward targets out in a field with beautiful surroundings. A collection of people happy to not be at work, or in school, or not healthy enough to enjoy a round of golf. 

Sadly, this image of leisurely golf couldn’t be further from what actually happens on a course. Most everyone shows up to play, but they try to race around and get done as fast as possible and leave. If a group falls behind, you have impatient folks calling the pro shop and tattling to get a Marshall out and get them moving. If a group falls WAY behind, because they are having a leisurely good time on a golf course, the groups behind them want the group kicked off, and when that doesn’t happen, often screaming at them starts and occasionally violence or threats of violence. 

Perhaps folks that play golf could count their blessings when they have a little “extra” time on the course and be more patient with golfers new to the game. I mean, the impatient folks could be coughing themselves to death, all alone, in a hospital room instead of being out and about on golf course, playing golf. You know, perspective. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

This is just a rant and to vent my frustrations. 

Ever since this pandemic has started. My group and I have been experiencing more and more groups of 5 or 6 players in one group. I’ve also experienced this in Las Vegas. It’s like they book the 2 tee time slots. And then purposely group up after a few holes. I have gotten into verbal altercations on multiple times, club house refusing to send someone out, and much longer rounds. If these guys were able to stay on pace. And not keep anyone waiting. I would not complain one bit. But that’s just not the case.  My last round I played 2 days ago took almost 7 hours cause of a group of 6 that wouldn’t allow us to go through. Which also involved a verbal confrontation and no help from the clubhouse. The only thing the clubhouse would offer was for us to go back to the front 9 that was completely open according to the guy in the clubhouse. He was dead wrong and we ended getting stuck again. Refused to give us a rain check.  Anyway my rant is over for now. 

Depends on the course. I am seeing a lot of players new to golf at my home course and they don't necessarily understand how to keep pace. The club house doesn't help because they are short staffed from the club trying to cut down on expenses due to lost revenue. Unless it is a golf outing for charity I am not putting up with near 5.5 hours let alone near 7. At some point I think you should have just went past them by skipping a hole if possible.

1 hour ago, HatsForBats said:

Depends on the course. I am seeing a lot of players new to golf at my home course and they don't necessarily understand how to keep pace. The club house doesn't help because they are short staffed from the club trying to cut down on expenses due to lost revenue. Unless it is a golf outing for charity I am not putting up with near 5.5 hours let alone near 7. At some point I think you should have just went past them by skipping a hole if possible.

We have tried to skip each time. Don’t know what it is which people these days. But it seems like it has carried over to the golf course also. There should be absolutely no reason for anyone to have to not let others go ahead. 

• Like 1

I am seeing the opposite 'issue'. Round are faster than ever with no flags stick removal, no raking bunkers, and rules about group sizes no larger than 4 under any circumstances. In addition most people walk at my club, but if they do cart they are singles in carts now and are faster. This is golf club golf though, so people know what they are doing. 

if you play frequently just don't go back.  I had an ongoing problem with a course and told the pro I would not play there again. h

He was un-phased and dismissive at the thought of one unhappy golfer, Once he was informed by the assistant hat I was the one who organized a group of 16-or 20, five times a month who also ate and drank for hours after the round, well lets just say my phone has not stopped ringing. point is money still drives the business and youre free to spend your hard earned cash wherever you want

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

47 minutes ago, Carl Spackler3 said:

if you play frequently just don't go back.  I had an ongoing problem with a course and told the pro I would not play there again. h

He was un-phased and dismissive at the thought of one unhappy golfer, Once he was informed by the assistant hat I was the one who organized a group of 16-or 20, five times a month who also ate and drank for hours after the round, well lets just say my phone has not stopped ringing. point is money still drives the business and youre free to spend your hard earned cash wherever you want

Definitely won’t be going back to this particular course. Not worth the green fees if the level of service doesn’t match. 

The problem I'm seeing with the new pandemic golfer is playing from the wrong tee. Had a few rounds were the groups were hitting from the tips or one tee up and none of them could drive the ball 200 yards. I just think they don't know any better. maybe they will either figure it out or because it takes so many strokes/time they will stop playing

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

I budget my time.  If I'm in Vegas with my wife, she'll gamble or see a movie or shop while I golf and she knows I'll be back in 3.5 to 5 hours and then we'll go eat.  Not fair to my wife or me if others want to take an inordinate amount of time to pay a round. The course needs to marshal pace of play. 

Edited by LeoLeo99

Ya I would request my money back. Any course that lets that happen should not be played on. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Any time someone posts a thread on "Should I join a private club?", we should all reply with this thread.  In Atlanta we had amazing spring weather and the walking was amazing.  We got our carts back when it got into the 90's and now we are just about back to normal everything. 

Exceptions:

• Flagstick in
  • No towels
  • Busier, but can still get a tee time as long as you plan ahead.

Outside of that, we are playing same groups, have had a few tournaments, pace of play is right at 4 hours.  Is it expensive?  Yes.  Is it worth it?  Yes (IMO).

• Like 1

Happens all the time in South Florida when the Canadians show up

I just walk around them or skip around to open holes

I realize that their playing and drinking subsidize my green fees

Golf takes time- you gotta pick your spots

I hate waiting in line so I don't go to the supermarket on Saturday mornings...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, miamistomp said:

Happens all the time in South Florida when the Canadians show up

I just walk around them or skip around to open holes

I realize that their playing and drinking subsidize my green fees

Golf takes time- you gotta pick your spots

I hate waiting in line so I don't go to the supermarket on Saturday mornings...

Being Canadian (but don't spend any time in US), remarks of that type are not necessary or appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry- Should not have generalized

This area attracts  snowbirds from a certain province that likes to drink and play golf in large groups as if it is a get together and with no concern for other players

I am sure there are plenty of Canadians that observe proper etiquette 

39 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

Sorry- Should not have generalized

This area attracts  snowbirds from a certain province that likes to drink and play golf in large groups as if it is a get together and with no concern for other players

I am sure there are plenty of Canadians that observe proper etiquette 

Can you imagine the outcry if you had criticized others from outside your immediate borders?

• Like 1

We typically have the 2nd tee time on weekdays. As fast as we play, we've been told there would be no problem playing as a fivesome (you can't book more than 4).We have never done it as too many others who don't play fast or know how to keep pace would point to us and say, "They can play 5 how come we can't?" Subjecting the rest of the course to possibly lengthy rounds because of what we do would not be fair to them so we don't do it. Maybe I'm an idiot for not taking the course up on allowing 5 of us to play. I guess I'm too considerate of others.

I have played at courses that routinely allow fivesomes. That is a different situation. Even then, though, I've never heard of a course giving permission to having 6 play together.

• 2 weeks later...