Only "Classic" Golfing? An assessment of my playing and what next?

I've shared this story here before so I will keep it short.  I golfed a few times as a kid and then again around the age of 35 and now at 38 and a world of COVID stopping my other hobbies and slowing my work load down I golfed a lot this summer.  I also picked up some fantastic pointers here.

In the spring I looked at buying a new set of clubs and was starting to watch as many instructional videos as possible on youtube.  I got tired of the synthetic polo shirt wearing guys who kept yelling "get in the hole".  This wasn't the golf I remember my dad playing or certainly my grandfather talking about.  I was also overloading my brain with techniques learned from watching these videos.

I de-evolved.  I stopped looking at new set of clubs and I decided to get something older than the Ping Eye 2s I had.  I've pretty much stopped watching any instructional videos on youtube and I have been reading Ben Hogan's 5 Fundamentals only the past month.  

Where am I going with this?  I don't know.  At 38 I have no intentions of becoming a tournament player this late in life.  My old clubs get awkward stares from kids and men older than me at the range.  Sometimes I think maybe I should just buy a new set, take some lessons, buy a Titleist hat, and confrom.

But I've discovered progress in my game.   I found I'm having FUN golfing!  I played with a friend who was at my level in spring he's going a very modern way in his approach to equipment and learning.  I watched him struggle last week when we played together.  Almost as if he was over thinking everything he had been taught.  I beat him by 10 strokes with my old clubs.  But it wasn't the score that made me happy it was the absolute joy of hitting my blades and thinking about Ben Hogan's swing.  We talked golfers as we walked the course.  I had no idea who he was talking about and vice versa when I talked about Sam Snead's waggle.  Because I lied earlier about stopping watching videos on youtube I only watch the old players.

What would you do?  I need a new book after Hogan's for starters.  Am I going to seriously damage myself by staying in the "classic" world?  I made a crack about the "get in the hole yelling" I do like to keep an open mind towards things I'm not shunning modern golf, but more so having trouble finding an appeal to it.

• Like 3

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

7 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

Two classics

How to play your best golf all the time-Tommy Armour

Swing easy Hit hard- Julius Boros

+1,  

As to your swing - I really think the older classic style swing was / is easier on most people's body. After playing 50+ years, the thing I've learned is to "have fun - enjoy the round". Classic clubs are great fun (I have several sets of classics, near modern and hickories) and its even more fun when you win that $5 Nassau off your buddies with the $2,000 bag of latest - greatest implements!

• Like 2

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

7 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Modern golf swing videos are all to often filled with jargon and lingoism.  If I don't understand what they are talking about, how can I possibly implement the advisements.  Snead's swing is definitely one to emulate (Snead's swing has more relevancy to me than Hogans.)  

I prefer playing and swing advice books that break down a particular topic and the material can be quickly referenced.  Two that I've found useful over the years:

Golf My Way - Jack Nicklaus 

The Timeless Swing - Tom Watson

Everyone should have a copy of Harvey Penick's Little Red Book.

Perhaps the most impactful book I've read has nothing to do with swing mechanics or specific techniques.  It addresses the psychological aspects of playing at golf.  I'm a believer (for my game) in getting my head right to play better golf.  

Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect - Dr. Bob Rotella

He has a series of golf related books on the subject.  The above was the first, and a good starting point.

All can be found at a second hand bookstore like 2nd & Charles, if you have one in your neighborhood.

Thanks for the suggestions if I cant get those books at my library I will pick them up second hand.

What about Snead's swing do you find more relevant?   What should I be looking at when studying Snead?

4 hours ago, deejaid said:

Remember, golf is a game, and games are meant to be fun.   How you derive the most pleasure from the game is up to you.  If it’s having the newest most modern equipment, great.   A bag from the 1960’s?  Awesome.   An old canvas bag with 6 hickories? Perfect.  Whatever brings you joy while out on a walk hitting a little white ball is the right answer for you.

I actually had three sets of irons arrive in the last week, a brand new set of Titleist 620 CB’s that I was custom fit for, a set of late 1950’s Pedersen’s, and a mid 1960’s set of Powerbilt’s.   Which set performs the best?  The modern Titleist’s, hands down.  They were fit to me and I never thought I’d be hitting a 3-iron 215 yards.  But are they the most satisfying to hit?  No, not even close.   The Pedersens are the clubs that I want to keep hitting over and over, they draw me in trying to figure out how to hit them absolutely perfect.

Like you, I’m the guy that gets the strange looks on the course, though being a member of a private club, guys know who I am.  They probably think I’m the weird cat using the antique clubs.  But I enjoy playing my style of golf and I have no desire to play in the games the other members have going.

Again, find the way you best enjoy the game.

As for books, I love all the Tommy Armour books.  “A Round of Golf with Tommy Armour, “How to Play Your Best Golf All The Time“ and “Tommy Armour’s ABC’s Of Golf”

I also really like “Champagne Golf” by Tony Lema.   

Of course the Harvey Penick “Little” books series are a must have.

As for videos, I never tire of watching Tommy Armour’s swing in this one.

That video was reproduced in 1984.  The town Northbrook IL is my home town!  what a coincidence!  Upon further research Jim Kaplan is from Northbrook?  Does anyone know if he's still active?

Edited by oldpinggolfer

• 3 weeks later...

Stay true to the way you’re enjoying the game, and never be afraid to be an individual.  Interesting and unique people are becoming a scarce commodity these days.  

With the vintage equipment and simpler technical approach you’ll learn how to golf your ball your way.  You’ll have a game you can count on, while your buddy will be so mentally drunk on the latest woke fads, he won’t be able to come within 10 shots of you ever again. 

Eventually you can add some modern equipment and enjoy how differently all your favorite courses play depending on the kit you choose that day.  You’ll also have no issue finding the sweet spot with the modern stuff 😉

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 2

When I lived in Kingwood , Texas and played at Kingwood Country Club  (where they filmed Tin Cup)  I had next door neighbors named Jack and Mary Nay. The Shell building had just been built and he was transferred there from his previous assignment.  He was Shells official liaison guy for Shells Wonderful World Of Golf.   

• Like 2

21 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

@Christen_The_Sloop

So you got some wood woods, then? I remember you saying you were thinking of getting some.

What did you get?

I got a few persimmons - Cleveland RC15 or TC15 (is that the Thomas Chong?) with x400

A Dunlop DP10 and DP881 (Looks to be almost brand new) and a Maruman... and a Cleveland Dunaway 4w. This post is worthless without pics, so I'll try to put some up. I have a nice bag coming in along with a cool set of old irons on Saturday, so if I have time, I'll snap some pics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The older I get, the more I enjoy playing this game with older clubs.  By "older", I mean one-piece forgings with traditional lofts.  My MacG VFoils and Hogan Apex Plus are not ancient, but they're not modern either (multi-material, jacked lofts, welded-on faces). I enjoy finding beat up sets and reshafting, regripping, re painting,  etc. , and then PLAYING them.  Vintage guy.  It's a ton of fun for me and I still shoot to my scoring ability.  It all really depends on what you want out of the game.

Edited by sdandrea
  • Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

On 10/21/2020 at 8:19 PM, Richard 77 said:

I like a book by Spiro Agnew titled “I Can Play Better Golf Than This But I Never Have”

You have be as old as I am to appreciate the humor in this post.

Yeah he would make Gerald Ford look like a Tour Player---- Of course come to think of it one has to be "seasoned" to get that one too

• Haha 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 1 month later...

Love this thread. A book that I recommend that isn't old, but it's about the ethos that you're embracing, is Four Iron in the Soul by Lawrence Donegan. It's a book about connecting with the inner game and the game that has been played throughout history - essentially, why us nuts all love playing vintage gear. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Love this thread. A book that I recommend that isn't old, but it's about the ethos that you're embracing, is Four Iron in the Soul by Lawrence Donegan. It's a book about connecting with the inner game and the game that has been played throughout history - essentially, why us nuts all love playing vintage gear. 

I endorse your recommendation. "4 Iron in the Soul" is one of the best golf books I have ever read.

Also really enjoy the Mark Frost books - The Match, The Greatest Game Ever Played etc.

Lots of good biographies out there too. Possibly the most insightful into Ben Hogan is "Afternoon's with Mr Hogan" which I felt came from personal knowledge rather than speculation.

• Like 2

Just to follow up.  After reading Ben Hogans 5 Fundamentals last month I had one of the best rounds all year at my local par 3.   Including a few birdies.  Low 30s is more common for me than mid 40s where I started in the summer.

From everyone’s recommendations I bought Julius Boros book(seller sent wrong book) and Sam Snead’s Better Golf.

My library just resumed inter library loaning so I will be putting the others mentioned here on hold.

Its now getting cold and I’m going to miss my almost daily trips to the par 3.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Just to follow up.  After reading Ben Hogans 5 Fundamentals last month I had one of the best rounds all year at my local par 3.   Including a few birdies.  Low 30s is more common for me than mid 40s where I started in the summer.

From everyone’s recommendations I bought Julius Boros book(seller sent wrong book) and Sam Snead’s Better Golf.

My library just resumed inter library loaning so I will be putting the others mentioned here on hold.

Its now getting cold and I’m going to miss my almost daily trips to the par 3.

One other I might mention is Billy Casper's autobiography. I was aware of his reputation for consistency but his stats are quite incredible. Over his entire 25 year or so competitive career his % of wins, top 10 finishes and cuts made (he basically never missed a cut!) is astonishing as was his low score average all leading to winning 5 Vardon Trophies through the '60's - that is every other year! He finished ahead of at least one of the "Big 3" every year of their reign and often ahead of two! Had he stayed with IMG he would be remembered in the same exaulted terms as the Big 3.

I would add that Billy made no play on these stats in the book, it was reading the appendices that was really enlightening!

4 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Just ordered 4 iron in the soul, thank you. I highly recommend Sfternoons with Mr. Hogan. I've read it a couple of times.

• Like 1