Air compressor for installing grips in an apartment

hoselpalooza

title is pretty self-explanatory. i want to install some grips (using an air compressor) in my apartment with shared walls and am wary of making too much noise. worst case scenario i just take off time from work and do it during the day. hope nobody's kids are down for a nap. 🤷‍♂️

bonus: i didn't re-up my run-flat tires and need something i can use to re-inflate regular tires on the side of the road (just in case 🤞). something i could plug into a 120v wall outlet and my car would be great. not 100% necessary but definitely a plus.

thank you in advance!!

No air compressor I have ever seen is gonna be super apartment friendly.   That being said, I have a 100 PSI pancake from Home Depot (HDX brand and very similar to one they sell at harbor freight) that I have had since my divorce when I lived in an apartment for 3 years, and then I have had it in my house for the last 5 years.

Good thing is, you do not have to have it turned on to use if you are storing air.  If you use it a couple of times at night, just don't refill until later so you don't piss off your neighbors.  I have used it at my house to refill tires numerous times, but I have never tried plugging it into a a 12v to 110 power converter.  Most 12v do not have a tank, and will be of little to no use for blowing on grips.

• Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

1 minute ago, driveandputtmachine said:

No air compressor I have ever seen is gonna be super apartment friendly.   That being said, I have a 100 PSI pancake from Home Depot (HDX brand and very similar to one they sell at harbor freight) that I have had since my divorce when I lived in an apartment for 3 years, and then I have had it in my house for the last 5 years.

Good thing is, you do not have to have it turned on to use if you are storing air.  If you use it a couple of times at night, just don't refill until later so you don't piss off your neighbors.  I have used it at my house to refill tires numerous times, but I have never tried plugging it into a a 12v to 110 power converter.  Most 12v do not have a tank, and will be of little to no use for blowing on grips.

thanks! was just literally looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/Inflator-Compressor-Rechargeable-Power-Avid/dp/B07CTGM2LD/ref=psdc_155346011_t2_B07H3LP4LL

i'm surprised that tankless 12v would be little to no use for blowing on grips. i didn't think it took a lot of pressure or juice to get the grips on? how much do you need?

Ryobi (home depot) has a small portable battery operated 120 psi compressor that's pretty quiet - at least relative to the bigger ones.  It's significantly quieter than my 5 gal porter cable pancake compressor.   I haven't used it for grips yet.  Only down side is that it's only uses a 1 gal tank but dont' think that will be an issue as long as you don't take too long to get the grip on.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-1-Gal-Portable-Air-Compressor-Tool-Only-P739/305269932

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Ryobi (home depot) has a small portable battery operated compressor that's pretty quiet - at least relative to the bigger ones.   I haven't used it for grips.  Only down side is that it's only uses a 1 gal tank but dont' think that will be an issue as long as you don't take too long to get the grip on.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-1-Gal-Portable-Air-Compressor-Tool-Only-P739/305269932

just checking, is this thing only good for one grip? 😅

7 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

title is pretty self-explanatory. i want to install some grips (using an air compressor) in my apartment with shared walls and am wary of making too much noise. worst case scenario i just take off time from work and do it during the day. hope nobody's kids are down for a nap. 🤷‍♂️

bonus: i didn't re-up my run-flat tires and need something i can use to re-inflate regular tires on the side of the road (just in case 🤞). something i could plug into a 120v wall outlet and my car would be great. not 100% necessary but definitely a plus.

thank you in advance!!

If you have a knife, tape, and solvent you can remove grips-install new grips in a bathroom, parking lot, driving range, anywhere you want.

Why do you want to use an air compressor ?

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

2 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

If you have a knife, tape, and solvent you can remove grips-install new grips in a bathroom, parking lot, driving range, anywhere you want.

yep, i've done the same in my kitchen.

for now, i'd prefer to use soapy water and blow grips on instead of using solvent. solvent stinks and i don't have great ventilation here or access to a shop right now.

you can also remove grips without ruining them with an air compressor. makes it easier and less costly to test grips and shafts imo. i'm frugal. would probably feel differently if i had a tour van. 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hoselpalooza said:

for now, i'd prefer to use soapy water and blow grips on instead of using solvent. solvent stinks and i don't have great ventilation here or access to a shop right now.

If I want to save a grip I use GolfWorks $20 grip removal tool.

Last month on the putting green, before our round of golf, I installed a grip to my friend's putter. The only tools-materials needed are knife-solvent-tape. 

grip removal tool.png

• Thanks 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

23 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

As often as some people change shafts installing and then removing with an air compressor is a way to save a tone of money and reuse the grips over and over.

Removing a grip installed with tape and solvent is a PITA and much more time consuming.  With air I can remove a grip and install a new one in one minute total.  I have watched piles of videos, but it has never taken me less than 5 minutes to remove one grip with tape and solvent.  I am not a club builder nor do I want to spend the time to get better at removing grips that way when it is so much easier with air.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

4 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

If I want to save a grip I use GolfWorks $20 grip removal tool.

Last month on the putting green, before our round of golf, I installed a grip to my friend's putter. The only tools-materials needed are knife-solvent-tape. 

grip removal tool.png

i had no idea, thank you for sharing! 

As often as some people change shafts installing and then removing with an air compressor is a way to save a tone of money and reuse the grips over and over.

Removing a grip installed with tape and solvent is a PITA and much more time consuming.

solvent is a big non-starter for me right now. i just moved and until i find a more permanent place am stuck in a studio in a high-rise with windows that don't open. different story if i had a garage i could open up and air out...

didn't know this was a thing though: https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-v-groove-grip-remover/p/vggrv/

wonder if there's a youtube video of two people racing to see who can get grips on/off more quickly: air vs traditional method 😁

39 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

thanks! was just literally looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/Inflator-Compressor-Rechargeable-Power-Avid/dp/B07CTGM2LD/ref=psdc_155346011_t2_B07H3LP4LL

i'm surprised that tankless 12v would be little to no use for blowing on grips. i didn't think it took a lot of pressure or juice to get the grips on? how much do you need?

You can certainly use a 12v tankless compressor for blowing on grips. I have been blowing on grips for 20yrs and started using a 12v tankless and a B&D Workmate as my clamp. I see guys saying you need to use lots of air pressure but I find 30-40psi is more than adequate. I blow over painters tape and don't use soapy water, etc and don't have a problem. On .600 butt shafts without a lot of taper(FST were always good for this) I used .580 grips on the bare shaft with no slippage issue at all. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

there is no competition.  Air wins every time.  I have seen videos of qualified club builders with tons of experience removing tape and solvent grips.  I can remove a grip installed with air in under 10 seconds.  I put all of my grips on with air and remove them all with air.  Less than 30 seconds to remove and install a new one.

i'm temped to say it's case closed.

case_over.gif.b4561f93f94f485bac549737d095aa86.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bad9 said:

You can certainly use a 12v tankless compressor for blowing on grips. I have been blowing on grips for 20yrs and started using a 12v tankless and a B&D Workmate as my clamp. I see guys saying you need to use lots of air pressure but I find 30-40psi is more than adequate. I blow over painters tape and don't use soapy water, etc and don't have a problem. On .600 butt shafts without a lot of taper(FST were always good for this) I used .580 grips on the bare shaft with no slippage issue at all. 

I have a 100 PSI pancake air compressor.  I have it set at 50 or so PSI I believe and have using it for the last 8+ years for grips.  I bought the one I have because I could also use it for other thangs than just grips.  I have used it for tires on my Jeep and truck.  I have used it with a paint gun, I even used it with a brad/nail gun.  I think I paid 40 or 50 bucks for it and it has paid for itself 30 plus times over in the cost of grips or with my time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

this is great to know! my next project is putting .600 JMX ultralites onto c-tapers with .600 butt OD. so i'll probably have to build up a little bit for a snug fit. 

my current grips are great but a bit of a pain to install. i'm really looking forward to a quick and painless grip install and removal. 

2 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I have a 100 PSI pancake air compressor.  I have it set at 50 or so PSI I believe and have using it for the last 8+ years for grips.  I bought the one I have because I could also use it for other thangs than just grips.  I have used it for tires on my Jeep and truck.  I have used it with a paint gun, I even used it with a brad/nail gun.  I think I paid 40 or 50 bucks for it and it has paid for itself 30 plus times over in the cost of grips or with my time.

What I use now is a Porter Cable Pancake unit that was part of a finish nail gun combo. It changed my whole world in two parts of my life, blowing on grips and installing trim in my house.😂

• Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I watched my buddy pull and install a grip with the air compressor. It’s amazing. As an owner of an air compressor myself, the thing that creates the most noise is when you fill the talk . Once it is full, the noise made to actually remove the grip is very minimal as you will be using less pressure than if using a nail gun. I’m purchasing the adaptor myself and giving it a go. Like others have said, it does save grips which you can in turn sell again or reuse.

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Everyone is free to do what they want but no grip of mine gets installed without double stick tape.

That aside, California Air Tools makes some amazingly quiet compressors.  As a bonus they are quite durable and not overly expensive.  Check Amazon for options from tiny to large.

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I had a smaller compressor 1.5 gallon and it ran all the time when I was doing grips.  I bought one with a larger tank and a compressor with more horsepower.  It is actually quieter and it fills the tank very quickly because the compressor is bigger.  With 5 gallons I can do a lot before it runs again.

One drawback with using compressed air is that you need a vise to hold the club (unless you have 3 arms) whereas I can put on a grip without a vise using solvent and tape.

As for using the grip removal tool... it requires solvent and can get real messy if the grip is stubborn.  For me, it's a tool of last resort.

• Like 2

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

Everyone is free to do what they want but no grip of mine gets installed without double stick tape.

That aside, California Air Tools makes some amazingly quiet compressors.  As a bonus they are quite durable and not overly expensive.  Check Amazon for options from tiny to large.

do you use double-sided tape with air to install? or are you using solvent? thanks!

7 minutes ago, e-man said:

I use a tire inflator I got from Home Depot.  Works great.  I wouldn’t say it’s low noise but doesn’t sound like a freight train either.  

this is good to know. i need a tire inflator anyway and was hoping it could do grips, too. i'm heavily leaning toward getting one from HD this weekend or amazon prime. 

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

I had a smaller compressor 1.5 gallon and it ran all the time when I was doing grips.  I bought one with a larger tank and a compressor with more horsepower.  It is actually quieter and it fills the tank very quickly because the compressor is bigger.  With 5 gallons I can do a lot before it runs again.

One drawback with using compressed air is that you need a vise to hold the club (unless you have 3 arms) whereas I can put on a grip without a vise using solvent and tape.

As for using the grip removal tool... it requires solvent and can get real messy if the grip is stubborn.  For me, it's a tool of last resort.

I have used air for 8+ years, and while I have a vice I have never used it to put on my grips with air.  I have a Pure Grip tool attached to my air compressor.  Put the tip of the grip over the end of the shaft, put the tool in the butt of the grip.  Then grasp the end of the grip, give it air and push it on.  Club head on the ground against my leg.   Would it be easier to put it in a vice?  Probably, but I've done it this way for so many years no reason to change.

4 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I have used air for 8+ years, and while I have a vice I have never used it to put on my grips with air.  I have a Pure Grip tool attached to my air compressor.  Put the tip of the grip over the end of the shaft, put the tool in the butt of the grip.  Then grasp the end of the grip, give it air and push it on.  Club head on the ground against my leg.   Would it be easier to put it in a vice?  Probably, but I've done it this way for so many years no reason to change.

i absolutely had to use a vice when gripping with lots of build-up tape. makes sense it would make gripping with air easier, too.

have one really similar to this and also use the rubber insert you can get from any golf equipment store. makes life a lot easier imho and is really fast to set up/take down.

PSA: i've also heard from others that flexible reinforced tubing is good for installing with air. i.e. put it over the grip as a protective measure. some people do it with hard PVC pipe which is a terrible idea. despite how rarely a grip might explode i just don't think it's worth the risk.

image.png.fbf5859a579980ab9bec038275654bca.png

2 hours ago, llewol007 said:

I watched my buddy pull and install a grip with the air compressor. It’s amazing. As an owner of an air compressor myself, the thing that creates the most noise is when you fill the talk . Once it is full, the noise made to actually remove the grip is very minimal as you will be using less pressure than if using a nail gun. I’m purchasing the adaptor myself and giving it a go. Like others have said, it does save grips which you can in turn sell again or reuse.

I have used the  V groove tool before and it does do the job. The great thing about the air compressor is less use of grip solvent. It really all depends on the age of the grip. Old crappy grips, just take a hook blade and get those things off. If its a newer grip, either option will work. The only really loud thing about the compressor is filling up the tank, once it is full, it really wont take that much air and the tank wont have to power on maybe once or twice to refill its tanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

31 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

i absolutely had to use a vice when gripping with lots of build-up tape. makes sense it would make gripping with air easier, too.

have one really similar to this and also use the rubber insert you can get from any golf equipment store. makes life a lot easier imho and is really fast to set up/take down.

PSA: i've also heard from others that flexible reinforced tubing is good for installing with air. i.e. put it over the grip as a protective measure. some people do it with hard PVC pipe which is a terrible idea. despite how rarely a grip might explode i just don't think it's worth the risk.

image.png.fbf5859a579980ab9bec038275654bca.png

Why is PVC pipe a bad idea?

Just now, Bluefan75 said:

Why is PVC pipe a bad idea?

hard plastic shrapnel.

i've been told the grip can explode with such force that the hard PVC pipe people use to "protect" themselves basically becomes a pipe bomb 2' from your crotch. i haven't tried to bust this myth but it makes sense to me so i don't want to mess around with it. 😅

apparently something like this is supposed to be much better:

image.png.25b48d6c8383cff2a499aea2f415af4f.png

I use a piece of orange plastic hollow driveway marker tube. I have blown up 3-4 grips and it has been fine. The amount a grip would have to expand to blow it apart is 3-4 times than what is needed to take a grip off.

One of the old Shoptalk email list guys, TFlan, used a piece of leather with velcro strips to secure it on the club and never had any issues.

Edited by Bad9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

yep, i've done the same in my kitchen.

you can also remove grips without ruining them with an air compressor. makes it easier and less costly to test grips and shafts imo. i'm frugal. would probably feel differently if i had a tour van. 😉

Just chiming in to say there are odorless grip solvent options.  GolfWorks sells a professional grip solvent, which is really Bramptons HF100, or so it's said.

With that said, I'm contemplating grabbing a compressor moving forward.  In part because I'll be installing leather grips on at least one set of irons in the very near future.

• Thanks 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors