Air compressor for installing grips in an apartment

hoselpalooza

41 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

hard plastic shrapnel.

i've been told the grip can explode with such force that the hard PVC pipe people use to "protect" themselves basically becomes a pipe bomb 2' from your crotch. i haven't tried to bust this myth but it makes sense to me so i don't want to mess around with it. 😅

apparently something like this is supposed to be much better:

image.png.25b48d6c8383cff2a499aea2f415af4f.png

Well I can understand playing it safe there.

One thing a former builder told me he did with mutli-compounds was poke a couple tiny holes in the rubber end.  It doesn't affect playing characteristics, and it allows just enough air to lower the odds of a blowup.  I had an issue with one grip getting a bubble at the end, but otherwise, I really haven't had blowup issues.  BUt I'm hardly an expert on air.  Only done it on one club, and tried it on another.  Ended up just doing the traditional method. 

• Thanks 1

Multicompounds are a pain.  Everyone i've tried to blow off with air tries to bubble right where the cord and rubber meet about halfway down the grip.  I'll have to try the pin hole trick 

I've saved probably 40 putter grips with air so it's more than paid for itself. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Why are people changing grips so often unless you are selling?!?   If you are doing few...Brampton’s is the answer.  I have air, i have Brampton’s....Brampton’s is just so much easier.

• Like 2

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

2 minutes ago, weavej1 said:

Why are people changing grips so often unless you are selling?!?   If you are doing few...Brampton’s is the answer.  I have air, i have Brampton’s....Brampton’s is just so much easier.

i'm sure other people have their reasons, but for me it's easy: i'm searching for the perfect grip.

standard doesn't work for me. neither does mid-size, jumbo, jumbo mcc +4, and so on. i've built up to 12 layers under jumbos which is the best so far, but it changes the characteristics of the whole club. now i'm trying all the JMX ultralites to see if i can get the right size without all of the weight. 

really looking forward to being done with this... 😅

To the OP - I use a California air tools 1 gal quiet air compressor, it's rated about 56 decibels and I can use it late at night without waking the kids or wife. I think it's about 200 dollars, it's one of my most frequently used tools in the garage. Make sure to bleed the air out when you're done so you don't rust the tank. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, fatmouse said:

To the OP - I use a California air tools 1 gal quiet air compressor, it's rated about 56 decibels and I can use it late at night without waking the kids or wife. I think it's about 200 dollars, it's one of my most frequently used tools in the garage. Make sure to bleed the air out when you're done so you don't rust the tank. 

I have the 5 gallon model. It's awesome, just over $100 on amazon recently. You can talk at normal volume while it is running. The 5 gallon was cheaper than the 1 gallon when I got mine. Liked it so much I got a second one for my garage. 

• Thanks 1

I've been using a small compressor for a couple years now to install grips and it's awesome. Forget about the old school solvent and double tape blah blah. I don't even use tape on some of my grips and they don't move. 

For an apartment dweller, maybe check into a re-fillable Co2 canister. Maybe a paintball size or even bigger. That will avoid the noisy compressor and all you'll probably get is a high pressure hiss. It doesn't take a lot to blow a grip on once you've done a couple and become proficient so you might get a lot of grips out of a small canister.

As far as a protective sleeve for the vice, I use an old mid size super stroke grip cut to the width of my vice jaws and it works perfect. Go to your local golf store and ask if they have one laying around.

• Like 1

Instead of a vise, I've been using a Back & Decker Workmate for the last 20 years.  Does pretty well as a substitute vise, and can be folded up and put away if you can't leave it out for space reasons.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

9 minutes ago, hoselrocker said:

I've been using a small compressor for a couple years now to install grips and it's awesome. Forget about the old school solvent and double tape blah blah. I don't even use tape on some of my grips and they don't move. 

For an apartment dweller, maybe check into a re-fillable Co2 canister. Maybe a paintball size or even bigger. That will avoid the noisy compressor and all you'll probably get is a high pressure hiss. It doesn't take a lot to blow a grip on once you've done a couple and become proficient so you might get a lot of grips out of a small canister.

As far as a protective sleeve for the vice, I use an old mid size super stroke grip cut to the width of my vice jaws and it works perfect. Go to your local golf store and ask if they have one laying around.

thanks. re-fillable co2 canister is a creative idea, and so is an old grip for a protective sleeve. i got this little guy for $2-$3. works like a charm.

image.png.4b0990f4eec406a781500c223760c015.png

14 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Instead of a vise, I've been using a Back & Decker Workmate for the last 20 years.  Does pretty well as a substitute vise, and can be folded up and put away if you can't leave it out for space reasons.

i have a vice but this is a super interesting idea. what do you use to secure the club? e.g. does this work with the little rubber insert i shared above? thanks!

5 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

i have a vice but this is a super interesting idea. what do you use to secure the club? e.g. does this work with the little rubber insert i shared above? thanks!

I don't use anything other than the Workmate itself.  It can be cranked open to use as a vice.  I've toyed with using a rubber shaft clamp such as can be bought on clubmaking sites, but have never gotten around to buying one.

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 6:18 AM, Fairway14 said:

If I want to save a grip I use GolfWorks $20 grip removal tool.

Last month on the putting green, before our round of golf, I installed a grip to my friend's putter. The only tools-materials needed are knife-solvent-tape. 

grip removal tool.png

I just received one of these and it got the grip off but bunched tape up all over the inside of the grip.  Seems a little counter productive.    

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 10/25/2020 at 12:48 PM, NRJyzr said:

I don't use anything other than the Workmate itself.  It can be cranked open to use as a vice.  I've toyed with using a rubber shaft clamp such as can be bought on clubmaking sites, but have never gotten around to buying one.

Don't bother with the rubber clamp. I found, as you did, that the WM is a perfectly functional club making vice.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, Phabs said:

I just received one of these and it got the grip off but bunched tape up all over the inside of the grip.  Seems a little counter productive.    

I’ve had the same issue. What I found is I’m more patient and take my time, less tape bunches up and I can salvage the tape. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 11:20 AM, hoselrocker said:

CO2 gets very cold. I’ve always used tape and solvent in apartment settings and the odor was never an issue. 

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

10 hours ago, ckay said:

CO2 gets very cold. I’ve always used tape and solvent in apartment settings and the odor was never an issue. 

You likely live alone. 

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 4 months later...

I wanted to drop a note to thank those who mentioned California Air Tools.  I just bought one of their quiet compressors.  Went with the slightly larger (and louder) 4.7 gallon model.

Even the wife was impressed by the noise level.  🙂

Looking forward to my next grip job...

• 4 months later...
On 10/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, Phabs said:

Multicompounds are a pain.  Everyone i've tried to blow off with air tries to bubble right where the cord and rubber meet about halfway down the grip.  I'll have to try the pin hole trick 

I've saved probably 40 putter grips with air so it's more than paid for itself. 

Haven't seen other threads, but were you able to do the pin hole trick?  I did, and it worked beautifully.  

Has anyone used air on Tour Wrap 2G?  Got a buddy who likes them, and I might be doing his grips.  I've only done the MCs,  so wondered if there is anything to watch out for with them.  Seem a bit thicker which may be tougher to work with?

• 2 years later...
On 10/23/2020 at 10:41 AM, Nessism said:

Everyone is free to do what they want but no grip of mine gets installed without double stick tape.

That aside, California Air Tools makes some amazingly quiet compressors.  As a bonus they are quite durable and not overly expensive.  Check Amazon for options from tiny to large.

lol..flat earth people will always be flat earth people..do you still glue your bike tires on your rims?

2 minutes ago, hoganben said:

lol..flat earth people will always be flat earth people..do you still glue your bike tires on your rims?

I'm a long time biker, but no tubulers for me.  

And when you find an OEM club manufacturer that blows on grips please let me know...so I'll never buy from that company.

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

On 10/23/2020 at 12:10 PM, e-man said:

I use a tire inflator I got from Home Depot.  Works great.  I wouldn’t say it’s low noise but doesn’t sound like a freight train either.  

I find that forums are full of guessers who for some reason always guess that something will never work..when someone like you comes on with an actual experience the guessers will then usually just ignore you..ps..thanks for the info

On 10/23/2020 at 7:29 AM, hoselpalooza said:

solvent is a big non-starter for me right now. i just moved and until i find a more permanent place am stuck in a studio in a high-rise with windows that don't open.

I have used water activated tape from Golfworks for years without any problems.  You just replace solvent with water.  They used to sell 10" strips too but do not see on site.  There may be other sources.

https://www.golfworks.com/water-activated-grip-tape/p/wst18/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hoganben said:

I personally put on all my grips with compressed air.  If I'm doing it for money, it's always going to be 2-way tape.  And as Nessism said, as soon as you find an OEM or a Tour Van that uses compressed air, let us know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

15 minutes ago, Socrates said:

I personally put on all my grips with compressed air.  If I'm doing it for money, it's always going to be 2-way tape.  And as Nessism said, as soon as you find an OEM or a Tour Van that uses compressed air, let us know.

Same for me.  But I don't think tour van (or factory) usage is really all that important of an indicator.

Main benefits for blowing on is:

1) easy removal w/o destroying the grip - either for reuse or for tweaking the number of wraps/size - or just testing out different grips.

2) less mess or smell from avoiding solvents - particularly if one doesn't have a fancy gripping station w/ catch basin and unlimited supply of solvent.

Nothing in there that is anything the tour vans (or tour players) or factories would care about.

And if you have that nice gripping station and don't have to worry about how much solvent you use (costs) then it's actually faster to use solvent than compressed air and it's easier to adjust the orientation of the grip after installation while the solvent hasn't evaporated - particularly when extra wraps are used to increase grip size.  Just imagine trying to install a grip w/ Bubba's +12 wraps with just compressed air.  🙄

Different methods accommodate different needs and priorities.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

2) less mess or smell from avoiding solvents - particularly if one doesn't have a fancy gripping station w/ catch basin and unlimited supply of solvent.

HF-100, has no smell, and just a few squirts will have the grip sliding on easy as can be.  You will get a few drops of solvent out the grip hole, and that's about it when it comes to mess.  

image.png.a9460f93de89512ad189bae1c9198c22.png

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I think we can agree that using tape and solvent is the best way to install a grip. It is 100% trouble free doing it this way. Why would any OEM or business do it any other way?

For those of us that use air the benefits outweigh the risk of a grip possibly twisting. I've been blowing on my grips for ten years and never had any issues doing it this way when using quality grips. I've saved a lot of money switching out grips without ruining them and reinstalling the same grip down the road. I've been able to tweak my grips when needed and readjust them when I have changed the settings on my adjustable clubs. 

I will gladly take the risk of blowing my grips on when it is 99.9% effective doing it this way and much more cost effective.

I don't know why you always get certain people in this forum that are so negative about using air. Am I missing something or are you in the business of selling grips. I know I have saved a lot of money using air.