Streamsong 2020-2021

FlashinLeather

23 hours ago, alaaro said:

Curious re: the folks that didnt stay on property - how close is the nearest hotel/town? How did you handle that logsitcally - just drive in each day? How far? Certainly seems like a better option as I keep hearing how overpriced the restaurants/bars are. 

The appeal of staying on property makes it worth it to me at least. No worries about driving, especially if you've been drinking. Everything is convenient and right at your fingertips. Frequent/free shuttles. They take care of your clubs. Low hassle all around. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, ND2005 said:

I've heard the service and F&B have been huge issues post-Covid. 

They were basically shut down all summer (1 of 3 courses open and hotel not open) and they furloughed a large percentage of their staff. Now that they've reopened they haven't been able to get everyone back. 

So now they are operating with a smaller crew while simultaneously training new employees, and still dealing with covid issues. 

It was terrible prior to COVID. They’ve trying to operate and charge you for a 5 star resort and service with Motel 6 staff and Applebees managers. 

EDIT: realizing this is unfair to Applebee’s. They’re far more efficient than Streamsong. 

Edited by ilikegolf26
  • Haha 1

For the people who have been there recently or know what the weather/course conditions are like - Is the course dormant now or somewhat?  Will it change much in February?  Looking at a trip in about a month.

I played a few years ago in Ocala late Feb and was surprised how dormant the courses were.  I see Streamsong area may be a bit warmer especially at night.  

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Was there at end of January. Was incredibly impressed at the level of service. Consistently top notch.

Courses were in great shape, except the new greens on red and blue are too firm, won't hold a ball. Its just that new bermuda problem, will grow out of it soon i hope. 

Food was all delicious.

I would only stay on site. Too convenient with food, drink, and golf, and they take of the clubs. Just take a couple bottles of your own booze.

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

On 1/30/2021 at 11:05 AM, PeteNC said:

For the people who have been there recently or know what the weather/course conditions are like - Is the course dormant now or somewhat?  Will it change much in February?  Looking at a trip in about a month.

I played a few years ago in Ocala late Feb and was surprised how dormant the courses were.  I see Streamsong area may be a bit warmer especially at night.  

Cheers

Just got back today and the rough is dormant-ish.  The weather ranged from rainy, to mild, to hot & humid, to hot and windy - 4 different days.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Edited by puttnforthe8

On 1/25/2021 at 11:43 AM, ilikegolf26 said:

It was terrible prior to COVID. They’ve trying to operate and charge you for a 5 star resort and service with Motel 6 staff and Applebees managers. 

EDIT: realizing this is unfair to Applebee’s. They’re far more efficient than Streamsong. 

This has not changed much except in a few instances.  This was undeniably the worst 'golf resort' experience I have ever had.  We went with 16 and every single person agreed we will never return.  And it is not just CV related.

The  restaurant service was quite bad, except for 1 night at the Black course.  The staff for the resort was really unwelcoming and unhelpful.  That was on top of the many other things.  Heater didn't work, no vending machines of any kind, no 'shop' of any kind to buy things if forgotten (i.e. toothpaste), impossible to get drinks at the main resort (bar folks were SLOW and didn't know how to make drinks).  The italian restaurant was terrible - it is stunning that a place of this supposed caliber cannot make a pizza, or bolognese!!  Both were horrid.

We also did not understand the on course carts.  We saw a cart 0 day 1, 2x day 2, 0 day 3, 1x day 4.....puzzling.  

On the flipside the halfway shacks were always good and good service.  We all felt that the people in the shacks should be in the restaurants and many of those in the restaurants should be in the shacks.  

The food at the Black course is outstanding.  Breakfast at the Red/Blue was the best. 

We also agreed that the collective of the caddies was the worst any of us has ever had.  There were a couple of great caddies (Obi & Jax are recommended); but others were terrible. One caddie threatened one of the group, there were multiple instances where caddies would drop a ball and tell the player he found their ball in order to not bother looking for the ball, there were multiple stories from the group where the caddie would talk trash about the player because they wouldn't use the club chosen or disagreed with the putt read.  Fortunately, I had Obi who was outstanding.  

Finally, I (and all of us) felt SS lacked all the little things that many other resorts think of for the golfers.  In general, it felt like they almost didn't care about the golfers; or just are not trained and taught to appreciate the golfers and understand what they need/want (e.g. shoe dryers like Bandon).  On one occasion, the shuttle told a bunch of golfers that we had to wait for the next shuttle because they needed to take a wedding party over to breakfast; Despite everyone having tee times to get to.  

Edited by puttnforthe8

17 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

This has not changed much except in a few instances.  This was undeniably the worst 'golf resort' experience I have ever had.  We went with 16 and every single person agreed we will never return.  And it is not just CV related.

The  restaurant service was quite bad, except for 1 night at the Black course.  The staff for the resort was really unwelcoming and unhelpful.  That was on top of the many other things.  Heater didn't work, no vending machines of any kind, no 'shop' of any kind to buy things if forgotten (i.e. toothpaste), impossible to get drinks at the main resort (bar folks were SLOW and didn't know how to make drinks).  The italian restaurant was terrible - it is stunning that a place of this supposed caliber cannot make a pizza, or bolognese!!  Both were horrid.

We also did not understand the on course carts.  We saw a cart 0 day 1, 2x day 2, 0 day 3, 1x day 4.....puzzling.  

On the flipside the halfway shacks were always good and good service.  We all felt that the people in the shacks should be in the restaurants and many of those in the restaurants should be in the shacks.  

The food at the Black course is outstanding.  Breakfast at the Red/Blue was the best. 

We also agreed that the collective of the caddies was the worst any of us has ever had.  There were a couple of great caddies (Obi & Jax are recommended); but others were terrible. One caddie threatened one of the group, there were multiple instances where caddies would drop a ball and tell the player he found their ball in order to not bother looking for the ball, there were multiple stories from the group where the caddie would talk trash about the player because they wouldn't use the club chosen or disagreed with the putt read.  Fortunately, I had Obi who was outstanding.  

Finally, I (and all of us) felt SS lacked all the little things that many other resorts think of for the golfers.  In general, it felt like they almost didn't care about the golfers; or just are not trained and taught to appreciate the golfers and understand what they need/want (e.g. shoe dryers like Bandon).  On one occasion, the shuttle told a bunch of golfers that we had to wait for the next shuttle because they needed to take a wedding party over to breakfast; Despite everyone having tee times to get to.  

They recently hired a new GM, like within the past 4-6 weeks. I would recommend reaching out directly. 

They need to get their s*** together and I hope the new GM hire reflects an awareness of this. Red and blue are legit 2 of my favorite courses in the US and the hospitality/experience has to be up to better standards. 

• Like 1

I was going to be down in the Tampa area in a month and really want to drive up to play one day.  When I look online it doesn't allow me to make tee times until about 3 weeks out which I guess is no big deal but it also only allows me to book for 3 or 4 people.  I have to assume they allow singles to book correct?  I left a message on their 800# and also a few e-mails but haven't heard anything back yet.   I am not picky which course to play but would just love to join up and get around once.   

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

4 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

I was going to be down in the Tampa area in a month and really want to drive up to play one day.  When I look online it doesn't allow me to make tee times until about 3 weeks out which I guess is no big deal but it also only allows me to book for 3 or 4 people.  I have to assume they allow singles to book correct?  I left a message on their 800# and also a few e-mails but haven't heard anything back yet.   I am not picky which course to play but would just love to join up and get around once.   

Again another thing to lodge in the customer service complaints...their main phone is terribly understaffed and they never call back. You gotta keep calling until you talk to someone.

Yes they allow singles. No clue how far out you can book/get on the tee sheet if you aren't staying on property. 

7 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

LOL.  It took me 9 calls before I was able to get someone to respond to me so I could pay the deposit for the trip!   

On 3/16/2021 at 1:52 PM, ND2005 said:

Again another thing to lodge in the customer service complaints...their main phone is terribly understaffed and they never call back. You gotta keep calling until you talk to someone.

Yes they allow singles. No clue how far out you can book/get on the tee sheet if you aren't staying on property. 

Someone finally called me back and were very nice.   He claimed to put an appointment on his calendar to call ME and try to get me booked as a single.  If they would actually do that I would be shocked.   Let's just say I put it on MY calendar to call on my own if I don't hear from them.   

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

I was able to get in contact with Streamsong on my first call.....they allow singles to make tee times 21 days out and Since I am golfing in late March the 36 hole rate was $310....which I thought was pretty fair considering its spring break

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

On 3/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, TBone0576 said:

Someone finally called me back and were very nice.   He claimed to put an appointment on his calendar to call ME and try to get me booked as a single.  If they would actually do that I would be shocked.   Let's just say I put it on MY calendar to call on my own if I don't hear from them.   

They did call me back today and I made an early morning tee time for 3 weeks from today on Blue.  He also said it was $199 so that was a surprise.  I’ll just go with it.  Assuming I have a great time I’ll go back again next time I’m in the area.  Just hoping for good weather now. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

• 1 month later...

I was there three weeks ago. Played Blue, Black and Gauntlet. Got rained out before finishing four holes on Red. It was my third Streamsong trip. Course conditions were very good. The weather had been dry for weeks so the courses all played fast and firm and I'm sure they welcomed that storm although it didn't make us happy. They had to give the greens extra water  at 2 pm every day to keep them healthy.

It was very crowded. I don't think they had a vacancy that weekend. It was imp[ossible to get a reservation at any of the restaurants, but we were able to get a table at P2O5 (which for you non-chemists is phosphate, which was what was mined on the property) in the lobby of the lodge with very little wait, and at the restaurant in the clubhouse at the Black Course. Service at the restaurants was mediocre, but the prices are okay based on the high quality of the food. I lived in New York until recently so am used to restaurant prices much higher than Streamsong.  We had an excellent caddy four our foursome. We changed who he carried for each day. He did a great job of club advice and reading putts for all four of us. The greens are so complex and fast that makes it worth having a good caddy IMO.

Click on a photo below to link to photo tours of the courses.

Streamsong Blue (April 2021)

Streamsong Blue (2021)

Streamsong Black (photos from Nov 2020 and April 2021)

Streamsong Black Course

Streamsong Red (photos from March 2014 and April 2021)

Streamsong - Red Course

Streamsong Gauntlet par 3 course (April 2021)

Streamsong-Gauntlet par 3 course

• Like 1

playing tomorrow, fridayAM(blue) and next saturday(red).  will report.  tee times been crazy packed this year.  

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

On 4/30/2021 at 5:03 AM, Saltydawg15 said:

Thanks didn’t think about dinner reservations, going to try and book some today.

Ranking the restaurants:

-59 (the steakhouse) - legitimately good, although hard to mess up a steak that much

-Bone Valley Tavern

-SottoTerra - the italian. Has only been open 1 of the 3 times I've been there, not sure the deal on that

-P205 - don't bother

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone wondering about staying off-site, I have stayed at the Best Western on route 17 in Bowling Green - pretty new, nice, clean - usual continental breakfast free in morning - decent coffee - good option to save at least a hundred bucks a night and it’s about 30 minutes from resort. That’s as close as you can get.

there is very convenient free parking at both Black and Blue/Red

I am staying at resort later this week, playing two rounds.  This is a good time to go for FL, GA, and AL residents, as the price is down from high season.  I’m paying $700 for two nights and two rounds walking, and while it will be hot, it is not as brutal as it is in July and August when I’ve been there in the past.  

I’m in pretty good shape and walk 18 holes here in Palm Beach once a week, and walking SS at this time of year is not too tough.  It is a great workout and makes the game really feel like a sport.  I’m pretty frugal and am not interested in more than doubling my golf cost by hiring caddies, especially since I enjoy taking on the course without any help.  

A yardage book is $5 and is great for checking your covers for lines off the tee and approaches near bunkers and finding your way to the next tee, as sometimes it’s not obvious, and it’s fun to chart your round, this is special golf at SS and you can kind of re-live the experience afterward.

I have not had any problems with bringing a cooler to my room.  The store in the main hotel doesn’t have much and staying hydrated throughout the day is critical if you’ll be there multiple days and will play more than one round of golf in the heat.

Two of my food recommendations are wings at the Bone Zone and Shrimp Caesar Salad at 59

On 5/17/2021 at 6:46 PM, MongoSmash said:

When did the par 3 course go in??? How did I miss that?

how is it?

It was built about the same time as the Black. It's not much to look at, but the greens are fast and hard to hold. Good prep for playing the Black. Click on the photo below to link to pix of the par 3 course (the Gauntlet)

Streamsong-Gauntlet par 3 course

greens for red and blue are not fully matured yet and spotty in certain areas.  Eddie Fray is the man. been to streamsong about a dozen + time and he's the best out of the bunch.  

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x