Jump to content

Cobra Speedzone Love?


Recommended Posts

Hello my brothas.  Just wondering if anyone stumbled upon the Cobra Speedzone driver and your thoughts on her.  I hit my friends Speedzone with Atmos Tour Spec Blue and was pleasantly surprised how well it stacked up against my Sim MAX D Speeder TR 661 combo.  I actually think even with the smaller face, the Speedzone was more forgiving on misses.  Its as long and really pleasing in feel and sound.  Am I crazy or did I just miss the boat on this one?

TM Tour Issue SIM/ Mitsu Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 17/22 0317X G2/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speedzone Xtreme is the most forgiving driver I've ever hit.  Switched to the regular Speedzone today and got phenomenal numbers. Compared it head to head with the new TSI3 and found it to be every

Have one on the way!   Two brands I always go back to for woods are Cobra and Titleist.  Cobra just sets up so nice and square to my eye.  Love the loft sleeve as well.  Excited to put it th

Check out all of the TXG content on it on Youtube. I just picked one up and love the feel/sound. Moved my ball speed up to where my average strike is about where my max (1 out of 10) was on my old dri

I played Speedzone all of 2020 with atmos TS black.  The year before That I tried everything,  lol. I know its the arrow not the golfer! But the SZ was just so nice. It sets up nice for me at address. Gives confidence. I found it very forgiving across the face. I play heavy weight back and 10 degree loft. I just loved hitting fairways and keeping balls in play. Its no coincidence I had my best scoring year. Only negative is the loud Aluminum baseball bat sound, but thats no problem as the scorecard doesn't care about that. I won't even demo another driver in 2021!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have one on the way!

 

Two brands I always go back to for woods are Cobra and Titleist.  Cobra just sets up so nice and square to my eye.  Love the loft sleeve as well.  Excited to put it through its paces.

  • Like 3

Cobra  Speedzone 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

or

Cobra  Speedzone Big Tour  Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70--testing...

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Mizuno  JPX 921 Tour  5-PW  Accra i Series Steel 125 soft stepped

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S  Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wam78 said:

Have one on the way!

 

Two brands I always go back to for woods are Cobra and Titleist.  Cobra just sets up so nice and square to my eye.  Love the loft sleeve as well.  Excited to put it through its paces.

What shaft are you pairing it with and whats your driver swing speed?

TM Tour Issue SIM/ Mitsu Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 17/22 0317X G2/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s got some pop, and my guess is if it suits you then it is as good as anything other manufacturers offer.  The forum did a member review on the Speedzone and Extreme, there were 4 of us that trialed them both and left good insights.  Might be worth a read if you are interested.

 

I ended up back with my Ping 410, mainly because it was easier to control (shorter shaft) and the ability to move weight towards the toe( my major miss).  But the Cobra produced some big drives for me over the summer, amongst the longest in several years( I track all my shots).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out all of the TXG content on it on Youtube. I just picked one up and love the feel/sound. Moved my ball speed up to where my average strike is about where my max (1 out of 10) was on my old driver, but that was probably mostly due to a poor shaft fit in that head. On the simulator, I think the SIM might have had 5 more yards of carry, but I scored a crazy good deal on the SZ and couldn't pass it up. 

 

Also check out my thread in the deal or no deal section if you are shopping, but it looks like a huge ymmv situation. 

  • Like 2

Handicap (Arccos calculated):  4.7

Current Bag:
Cobra SZ Pars\Stripes, Ventus Blue 6s

TM 2 Rescue, Cobra f7 4h
Cobra Forged Tec 2020
TM EF 50, PM Grind 58\64

Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

What shaft are you pairing it with and whats your driver swing speed?

I have just the head coming and will put my current shaft in it.  Fuji Motore Speeder vc 6.2.  Swing speed 106-108.  Can get to 110 but I’d rather stay smooth.

Cobra  Speedzone 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

or

Cobra  Speedzone Big Tour  Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70--testing...

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Mizuno  JPX 921 Tour  5-PW  Accra i Series Steel 125 soft stepped

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S  Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wam78 said:

I have just the head coming and will put my current shaft in it.  Fuji Motore Speeder vc 6.2.  Swing speed 106-108.  Can get to 110 but I’d rather stay smooth.

Nice same similar swing spewed here.  Spent most fo this season at 109mph with a 2" tipped Speeder TR 661S and a SIM MAX D turned to the lowest setting.  I just ordered on of these Speedzones too......really looking to see if it can replace my gamer or if my friends stick was just a good luck session. Thx bro and good luck

  • Like 1

TM Tour Issue SIM/ Mitsu Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 17/22 0317X G2/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CAT GOLFER said:

It’s got some pop, and my guess is if it suits you then it is as good as anything other manufacturers offer.  The forum did a member review on the Speedzone and Extreme, there were 4 of us that trialed them both and left good insights.  Might be worth a read if you are interested.

 

I ended up back with my Ping 410, mainly because it was easier to control (shorter shaft) and the ability to move weight towards the toe( my major miss).  But the Cobra produced some big drives for me over the summer, amongst the longest in several years( I track all my shots).

Read it top to bottom...was very interesting and thanks for the additons!

TM Tour Issue SIM/ Mitsu Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 17/22 0317X G2/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been a big fan of Cobra drivers over the years, and have upgraded every year.  The SZ is a great all around driver.  I have been very happy with it.  My sound is a nice muted thwack, so I am surprised to hear some have a problem with the sound.  I think there is a decent chance it stays in the bag next year, which would be very unusual for me.  Best value for the money by far this past season.

  • Like 1

Cobra SZ Tour Length 9.0 with Ventus Black 60 stiff shaft
Callaway Mavrik 15 degree fwy with Ventus Blue 70 stiff shaft
PXG Gen2 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Fuji Pro 2.0 8 stiff shaft
Srixon zx7 5-pw with Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts
Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
PM19 60 degree raw wedge
TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Cobra drivers since the L4-V days but the AMP Cell was the last driver I bought from Cobra since they opted to change the adapter to the MyFly8 type, way back years ago.

 

Been watching Cobra and the F9 perked my ears but the Speedzone seems like it's in a different category. I had a 90 playability guarantee from Roger Dunn and I returned a very nice and long G410 LST for an even nicer Speedzone Pars & Stripes with the Velocore.

 

I luv the look of the gloss white on the Speedzone head, fantastic headcover and the PVD milled face. That look was money and really with the included Velocore, it was just a no-brainer to swap. Didn't even bother to test the driver since I already had another Velocore head in my Epic Flash sub-zero (my old gamer)

 

I have to say, the Speedzone has been amazing. Been having some of the longest drives with it. Sound is muted and if it's nutted - you get that marshmallow soft feel at impact and the ball just rockets off the face. It is way, way more muted than my G410 LST and even more so than my Epic Flash Sub-Zero.

 

If there is a CON, the head may be a tad fade bias but a little lead tape on the heel side fixed that. I've hit this driver in the toe and heel and it just goes. But I have the big 14gm weight in the back setting. I think a lot of people have that weight in the front and that's a mistake, imho, because you lose too much forgiveness and ZAP. I also played with after market weights to get a more "Sub Zero" like with the head but in the end, I keep coming back to the standard config and weight... my intention for this driver was to be my backup and forgiving driver head but been gaming it ever since I got it.

 

Op, I don't think you are crazy. Cobras been upping their driver game a lot with the F9 and the Speedzone is the next progression. I didn't care for the F9 but Speedzone is well worth the price especially if you pick it up in BST. That CNC milled face up to the top of the crown means no more idiot marks, should you less than expert golfing buds want to try it.

 

ps I now run the Club Conex Uni-fit system in my Speedzone Pars & Stripes driver. This allows me to use that shaft in any different head. Plus I never need to keep multiple same expensive shafts anymore 😎

 

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Cobra Pars & Stripes Speedzone, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S Velocore, Club Conex Uni-Fit
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Cobra Speedzone irons 4 - PW Recoil ESX F4 shafts
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Snell MTB-X / Black, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Graves One Plane swing

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2020 at 11:00 PM, SwingBlues said:

I love Cobra drivers since the L4-V days but the AMP Cell was the last driver I bought from Cobra since they opted to change the adapter to the MyFly8 type, way back years ago.

 

Been watching Cobra and the F9 perked my ears but the Speedzone seems like it's in a different category. I had a 90 playability guarantee from Roger Dunn and I returned a very nice and long G410 LST for an even nicer Speedzone Pars & Stripes with the Velocore.

 

I luv the look of the gloss white on the Speedzone head, fantastic headcover and the PVD milled face. That look was money and really with the included Velocore, it was just a no-brainer to swap. Didn't even bother to test the driver since I already had another Velocore head in my Epic Flash sub-zero (my old gamer)

 

I have to say, the Speedzone has been amazing. Been having some of the longest drives with it. Sound is muted and if it's nutted - you get that marshmallow soft feel at impact and the ball just rockets off the face. It is way, way more muted than my G410 LST and even more so than my Epic Flash Sub-Zero.

 

If there is a CON, the head may be a tad fade bias but a little lead tape on the heel side fixed that. I've hit this driver in the toe and heel and it just goes. But I have the big 14gm weight in the back setting. I think a lot of people have that weight in the front and that's a mistake, imho, because you lose too much forgiveness and ZAP. I also played with after market weights to get a more "Sub Zero" like with the head but in the end, I keep coming back to the standard config and weight... my intention for this driver was to be my backup and forgiving driver head but been gaming it ever since I got it.

 

Op, I don't think you are crazy. Cobras been upping their driver game a lot with the F9 and the Speedzone is the next progression. I didn't care for the F9 but Speedzone is well worth the price especially if you pick it up in BST. That CNC milled face up to the top of the crown means no more idiot marks, should you less than expert golfing buds want to try it.

 

ps I now run the Club Conex Uni-fit system in my Speedzone Pars & Stripes driver. This allows me to use that shaft in any different head. Plus I never need to keep multiple same expensive shafts anymore 😎

 

Thanks for this. Genius on the Club Conex system! Its like a personal fitting system.

 

I didn't go that far but I do have a tour length one coming as mentioned above coming white/dry carbon with two shafts:

-Fuji Atmos TS Blue 65S

-Accra TZ6 65 M4

-Weight kit (to dial in swing weight with each

 

I am excited to se if it can beat our my current SIM Max D gamer, which has been in the bag most of this season and for the first time down into single digit handicap territory. 

  • Like 1

TM Tour Issue SIM/ Mitsu Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 17/22 0317X G2/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to love it. I got a Speedzone Extreme early this year and wanted to love it....and I just couldn't find the magic with it.  Short and not as forgiving as the PING it replaced.  In fairness, it was a spontaneous pandemic golf purchase at the beginning of the pandemic....so I didn't get a chance to get fit for it.  I had a 'tour length'  10.5* with a Tensei shaft.  I'm not sure it was the best fit for me.

WITB (as of 11/14/20)
PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon Z565 5-PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50*
Cleveland CBX 2 54*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 58*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Srixon Z-Star

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

Thanks for this. Genius on the Club Conex system! Its like a personal fitting system.

 

I didn't go that far but I do have a tour length one coming as mentioned above coming white/dry carbon with two shafts:

-Fuji Atmos TS Blue 65S

-Accra TZ6 65 M4

-Weight kit (to dial in swing weight with each

 

I am excited to se if it can beat our my current SIM Max D gamer, which has been in the bag most of this season and for the first time down into single digit handicap territory. 

 

Yeah, the Uni-Fit was unexpected and really forced into it as I had 2 Blue Velocores sitting in my house. One after market and one came with the Cobra Pars & Stripes. One Velocore had the Callaway tip for my Epic Flash Sub Zero. I didn't want to get rid of the EPSZ head and the Velocore is outstanding in that head... and LO-N-BEHOLD I found Knudsen's video on Uni-Fit and the flash bulb turned on in my head... so here I am, all my shafts are now Uni-Fit.

 

I will pick up the G425  next year. I intend to keep my EPSZ which is a KEEPER along with my Pars & Stripes since it's such a great looking head.

 

I would say, since you are coming from a SIM Max D, just watch the Speedzone head as it will be fade bias. Initially, I was not a believer but my miss has been right and I am a drawer of driver. You're going to have FUN 4 sure 👍

 

Other than that, I would love to hear your thoughts on the Accra TZ6. I hear good things about that shaft but never had a chance to try it as @Fujikura Golf has me hooked up on their drugs now... Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec Masters Limited edition 6X, another Tour Spec Black 6S shaft to play with now as well. And... coming tomorrow is my Ventus Velocore Black 6S... no need to save me or call 911, I am doing -JUST- fine on their drugs... 😁👍👌

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Cobra Pars & Stripes Speedzone, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S Velocore, Club Conex Uni-Fit
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Cobra Speedzone irons 4 - PW Recoil ESX F4 shafts
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Snell MTB-X / Black, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Graves One Plane swing

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

 

Yeah, the Uni-Fit was unexpected and really forced into it as I had 2 Blue Velocores sitting in my house. One after market and one came with the Cobra Pars & Stripes. One Velocore had the Callaway tip for my Epic Flash Sub Zero. I didn't want to get rid of the EPSZ head and the Velocore is outstanding in that head... and LO-N-BEHOLD I found Knudsen's video on Uni-Fit and the flash bulb turned on in my head... so here I am, all my shafts are now Uni-Fit.

 

I will pick up the G425  next year. I intend to keep my EPSZ which is a KEEPER along with my Pars & Stripes since it's such a great looking head.

 

I would say, since you are coming from a SIM Max D, just watch the Speedzone head as it will be fade bias. Initially, I was not a believer but my miss has been right and I am a drawer of driver. You're going to have FUN 4 sure 👍

 

Other than that, I would love to hear your thoughts on the Accra TZ6. I hear good things about that shaft but never had a chance to try it as @Fujikura Golf has me hooked up on their drugs now... Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec Masters Limited edition 6X, another Tour Spec Black 6S shaft to play with now as well. And... coming tomorrow is my Ventus Velocore Black 6S... no need to save me or call 911, I am doing -JUST- fine on their drugs... 😁👍👌

jelly for sure here with all the heads and high end shafts sitting around. 
 

Thanks for the heads up. Came from SiM then to Sim Max and then went D in 12* to open it up 4* to play 10* and she’s been perfect. I also had the head hot melted to be neutral flight along with adding swing weight. I remember how fade biased the Sim was with my Fuji Speeder TR661S. Solid when hit perfectly but anything out of center was fading to fader. I did have a chance to play the TZ6 in the Max head and it was as good as the D, just not as forgiving on the toe strikes (my miss). 
 

I’ll share my thoughts for sure. Looks like the driver arrives here tomorrow and the shaft should be early next week with the weights. Stay tuned....

 

I am glad I only have a small Fuji addiction lol 

Edited by evoviiiyou
  • Haha 1

TM Tour Issue SIM/ Mitsu Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 17/22 0317X G2/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious to hear feedback from Atmos ts black 6x and Accra tz series with this head.  The Atmos seems to be a direct replacement for my old Fuji Motore speeder vc.  But I’m also just enamored with the Accra as well.  Becoming a big fan of theirs at the moment.

  • Like 1

Cobra  Speedzone 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

or

Cobra  Speedzone Big Tour  Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70--testing...

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Mizuno  JPX 921 Tour  5-PW  Accra i Series Steel 125 soft stepped

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S  Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well couldn’t wait and hit the Speedzone against my gamer with only the Fuji TS Blue 6S in hand and it was smooth and easy bombing. I ended up with just leaving it in the 10.5 Draw setting for straight towering flights with the heavy 18gram weight face side and the 6gram in the rear. Played with the 18back but it felt harder to square consistently. I’ve never seen a weight in a driver change feels as much as this which is pretty cool. I’m probably going to order a Ventus Velo to go along with the TZ6 for a shootout. Part one is done at least which was getting the loft sleeve dialed in, and it’s getting bagged regardless just need to make sure shaft is the best. Stay tuned. 

  • Like 2

TM Tour Issue SIM/ Mitsu Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 17/22 0317X G2/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@evoviiiyouDid you find the Atmos ts blue stiff too soft?  I’m debating finding an Atmos, but I’m not sure if I should go blue x or black.  We are pretty close in ss, but my tempo is smooth and not aggressive.

Cobra  Speedzone 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

or

Cobra  Speedzone Big Tour  Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70--testing...

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Mizuno  JPX 921 Tour  5-PW  Accra i Series Steel 125 soft stepped

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S  Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know that’s a great question. I am surely not 100% committed to it as it’s noticeably softer than my Speeder TR 661S. It was very smooth and I do have a deliberate strong move through the ball and this shaft stood up pretty well hitting “smoothies”. My tell sign when a shaft is too soft is the left hook when I stand on it and I didn’t hit one over there. I never felt like I over powered the shaft. I did not have a launch monitor but I suspect spin was maybe a touch higher than my former gamer but it was so forgiving, high-slightly toe side, it’s not even funny. It doesn’t give me the confidence per say to go 100% for that top gear, but this was only the first large bucket and I really wanted to learn the details of the face strikes. 

That was the original reason I even got this head, as it is just plain forgiving with mid spin, with that heavy weight near the face playing D4 on my scale. 
 

Let me just say, I would think the TZ6 will ultimately win here with distance and consistency. It’s just so consistent and frees my mind to swing fearless. I’m really excited to hit either shaft with my ProV1’s....these range balls were at half life and impressed. 

TM Tour Issue SIM/ Mitsu Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 17/22 0317X G2/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: much to my surprise the TZ6 didn’t win out here. It’s definitely the longest combo with this head when pured but requires tight precision of the strike. The Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6S is a little shorter when stuck pure but the ease and repeatability at which I can hit bombs is pretty clear cut. I just ordered another Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6S (white finish) for my SIM Max D type for another round of shoot out style range time. 
 

Currently Speedzone TS Blue is the gamer. Had a great couple of large buckets hitting it exclusively with a tidy round in today. Loving the sound and one things for sure, it’s very powerful and jumpy off the face. It’s really refreshing after a year of Sim drivers muted thwack. Still love the look of the Sim family and performance. Time will tell for 2021. 

TM Tour Issue SIM/ Mitsu Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S/ GP TW WHT

PXG 17/22 0317X G2/ Mitsu MMT 80S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 1:00 AM, SwingBlues said:

I love Cobra drivers since the L4-V days but the AMP Cell was the last driver I bought from Cobra since they opted to change the adapter to the MyFly8 type, way back years ago.

 

Been watching Cobra and the F9 perked my ears but the Speedzone seems like it's in a different category. I had a 90 playability guarantee from Roger Dunn and I returned a very nice and long G410 LST for an even nicer Speedzone Pars & Stripes with the Velocore.

 

I luv the look of the gloss white on the Speedzone head, fantastic headcover and the PVD milled face. That look was money and really with the included Velocore, it was just a no-brainer to swap. Didn't even bother to test the driver since I already had another Velocore head in my Epic Flash sub-zero (my old gamer)

 

I have to say, the Speedzone has been amazing. Been having some of the longest drives with it. Sound is muted and if it's nutted - you get that marshmallow soft feel at impact and the ball just rockets off the face. It is way, way more muted than my G410 LST and even more so than my Epic Flash Sub-Zero.

 

If there is a CON, the head may be a tad fade bias but a little lead tape on the heel side fixed that. I've hit this driver in the toe and heel and it just goes. But I have the big 14gm weight in the back setting. I think a lot of people have that weight in the front and that's a mistake, imho, because you lose too much forgiveness and ZAP. I also played with after market weights to get a more "Sub Zero" like with the head but in the end, I keep coming back to the standard config and weight... my intention for this driver was to be my backup and forgiving driver head but been gaming it ever since I got it.

 

Op, I don't think you are crazy. Cobras been upping their driver game a lot with the F9 and the Speedzone is the next progression. I didn't care for the F9 but Speedzone is well worth the price especially if you pick it up in BST. That CNC milled face up to the top of the crown means no more idiot marks, should you less than expert golfing buds want to try it.

 

ps I now run the Club Conex Uni-fit system in my Speedzone Pars & Stripes driver. This allows me to use that shaft in any different head. Plus I never need to keep multiple same expensive shafts anymore 😎

 

Interesting. I’m only one outing in, but was also impressed with the Pars & Stripes. I forget to try to heavier weight in the back because it seemed pretty accurate and forgiving even with the weight forward? Did you notice much trajectory or spin or distance change with the heavier weight back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, winegr said:

Interesting. I’m only one outing in, but was also impressed with the Pars & Stripes. I forget to try to heavier weight in the back because it seemed pretty accurate and forgiving even with the weight forward? Did you notice much trajectory or spin or distance change with the heavier weight back?

 

I am playing around with it. Right now, I have 6 gm front and 10 gm back, that lowered trajectory considerably BUT it seems more forgiving than  a 14 gm front and 2 gm back. That combination was loosey goosey to me. The next experiment was to increase the grip size per Todd Grave so that added in extra 1 swing weight. To counter balance, I added about 4 gm on either side of the front weight. Let's call it my poor man's version of RAD.

 

So now it is 10gm front and 10gm back. It seems more stable at impact with the weight low and front but not destabilizing like the 14 gm front & 2 gm stock combo. So far I quite like it, this is not a hook machine like my Epic Flash Sub Zero and way, way, WAY better acoustically than my Callaway.

 

This is a very enjoyable head to play with but I am just messing with it to get the best out of it. Now, if only I had a $25,000 trackman like everyone here on GolfWRX... lets see Santa will be good to be this year. Yeah. Right.

Edited by SwingBlues

Cobra Pars & Stripes Speedzone, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S Velocore, Club Conex Uni-Fit
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Cobra Speedzone irons 4 - PW Recoil ESX F4 shafts
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Snell MTB-X / Black, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Graves One Plane swing

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with all of the talk about other drivers (and Speedzone Extreme), I didn't expect Speedzone to be as forgiving as it is because it doesn't seem to have gotten as much love recently.  But I also expected to hit moonballs with a Ventus Blue and Speedzone, but certainly did not.  I'll see how it goes as I hit mine more in better weather conditions, but could definitely see it staying in the bag for 2021.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've really enjoyed my speedzone.  I have the normal version, not the extreme.  Have 14g weight at the face and 2g in the rear and it really creates a hot face with a lot of roll out.  It's very forgiving (not compared to the extreme) but compared to the F8+ I came from, it's much more forgiving on mishits.  

 

I have hit a lot of fairways and been able to move the ball both directions since switching to this speedzone so all-in-all, I'm very happy with it.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...