3 or 4 wedge setup?

hypergolf

Just switched to a three wedge setup in favor of adding a 5 wood in. Old setup was 47/52/56/60. Dropped the 52 due to only using it for shots between 110-120 yards. Never was a fan of it and feel much more comfortable taking some off the 47 and using a little course management to stay out of the 110-120 yard range.

Technically, I play 4 wedges, but loft wise it is 3.  My PW is 43*, so can't really count that one.  My set AW is 48*, then I play a 54* and a 60*.  To be honest, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my wedges, there are very few shots that I use my 60 on that I can't use my 54 on, and most of the time, I would probably be better off using the 54, which is what I have been trying to do.  So it feels like I can get rid of the 60.  There are only 2 shots that I like my 60 for; short floaters and low spinners.  Oddly enough I can't hit low spinners with my 54, but they are still inconsistent with the 60 unless I practice them a lot.  Another issue is my set AW, the face is pretty hot and I have a hard time chipping with it.  The ball just springs off the face way to easy.  

I guess what I'm trying to say, I'm not happy with my wedge setup, but don't really know what to do, lol.  I have a 52 F grind I can try, and a 58 M grind that I hate.  

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

16 hours ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Do you feel like it's necessary to have 2 different partial wedges hitting the same distances without it being redundant? What would the advantages be other than trajectory differences?

I like having the redundancy in yardages with wedges. It’s mostly about being able to choose a trajectory for me.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm trying to understand why everyone says 4 wedges "better for gapping." I currently have a 3 wedge setup 46-52-58. Really trying to convince myself that I don't need a 4th. My PW carries 132, Gap carries 120, Lob carries 106. Even if I "improve" my gaps from 100-130, my lob wedge will take almost 100% of the shots from 30-100 yards, so where are the gaps that I'm missing out on by not having a 4th wedge? Serious question, because I've almost pulled the trigger on a 4th wedge several times today, and trying to stay rational.

What I’ve found for me personally is that I have a tough time getting consistent yardages from my Lob Wedge on full swings. I’ve tried 60* and 58* in the LW spot, and that’s the main detractor for me in the 46-52-58 setup.

Maybe eventually once my wedge game is more advanced, I’ll try the 46-52-58, but for right now I think the 46-50-54-58 wedge setup is best for me because I don’t have to rely on full swings with any of those clubs.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I play 4 wedges, and my pitching wedge is 48 or 49 degrees, depending on the set!  But for me, its about bounce/turf interaction, more than gapping.  I play a variety of public courses, so conditions can vary quite a bit, even within a single course on a single day (wet overgrown rough, bare lies, firm or soft bunkers, etc.).  

So I carry a 53, and both a high bounce 57 and a low bounce 60.   Those are tight "gaps" but I think that always having the optimal tool for the job around the green saves more strokes than I could possibly save  by adding another hybrid/fairway wood.  

Saving shots on long approaches is mostly about shot selection/risk management anyway.  Most of us don't have enough "significant digits" on our long iron/hybrid/fairway wood swings to take advantage of tighter gaps at that end of the bag.  Except for elite players, distance dispersion for long approaches is going to be dominated by strike quality, and that can't be fixed by tightening loft gaps.  So I've found versatile hybrids that I can hit solidly, and I pick targets where a small miss won't cause me big problems. Then I use all those wedges to save me when I (inevitably) miss some greens on long approaches.        

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

17 hours ago, BallerNate said:

What I’ve found for me personally is that I have a tough time getting consistent yardages from my Lob Wedge on full swings. I’ve tried 60* and 58* in the LW spot, and that’s the main detractor for me in the 46-52-58 setup.

Maybe eventually once my wedge game is more advanced, I’ll try the 46-52-58, but for right now I think the 46-50-54-58 wedge setup is best for me because I don’t have to rely on full swings with any of those clubs.

Full lob wedge shots are pretty much a mess for everyone. Best for most of us to avoid doing it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MTgolfer said:

Full lob wedge shots are pretty much a mess for everyone. Best for most of us to avoid doing it. 

Yup, agreed. We're on Week 5 of golf courses and driving ranges being closed here in Ontario, so have been spending that time at the local parks working on my wedge game. And among many takeaways from that extra practice time has been how much easier it is to control distance and dispersion with a 54* vs a 58*. Once we're able to get back on the course, I'll be hitting a ton more partial shots with the 54* over forcing stepped on 58* swings which I've had a long history of missing on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

agreed. I went through this whole thread and it took me until page 8 to see the turf/bounce issue which I think is the biggest catalyst for carrying 4 wedges. unless you have the time to practice and swap out wedges based on the course you play.

I carry 4 (46*, 52*, 56* 60*). I prefer to use my 60 around the green and within 70yrd +/-10, but not every course/condition allows me to use my 60*/4*. I run into a lot of scenarios where i use my 56*/8* bounce for an entire round just because of the turf/lie. Same goes for 60* and not using my 56*. The loft between 56/60 doesnt translate into much difference. If you manipulate the club face, you can hit a lot of shots with either. Whether i use one or the other is purely based on the bounce/lie. 

16 hours ago, DaveGoodrich said:

I play 4 wedges, and my pitching wedge is 48 or 49 degrees, depending on the set!  But for me, its about bounce/turf interaction, more than gapping.  I play a variety of public courses, so conditions can vary quite a bit, even within a single course on a single day (wet overgrown rough, bare lies, firm or soft bunkers, etc.).  

So I carry a 53, and both a high bounce 57 and a low bounce 60.   Those are tight "gaps" but I think that always having the optimal tool for the job around the green saves more strokes than I could possibly save  by adding another hybrid/fairway wood.  

Saving shots on long approaches is mostly about shot selection/risk management anyway.  Most of us don't have enough "significant digits" on our long iron/hybrid/fairway wood swings to take advantage of tighter gaps at that end of the bag.  Except for elite players, distance dispersion for long approaches is going to be dominated by strike quality, and that can't be fixed by tightening loft gaps.  So I've found versatile hybrids that I can hit solidly, and I pick targets where a small miss won't cause me big problems. Then I use all those wedges to save me when I (inevitably) miss some greens on long approaches.        

1 hour ago, the_Danimal said:

agreed. I went through this whole thread and it took me until page 8 to see the turf/bounce issue which I think is the biggest catalyst for carrying 4 wedges. unless you have the time to practice and swap out wedges based on the course you play.

I carry 4 (46*, 52*, 56* 60*). I prefer to use my 60 around the green and within 70yrd +/-10, but not every course/condition allows me to use my 60*/4*. I run into a lot of scenarios where i use my 56*/8* bounce for an entire round just because of the turf/lie. Same goes for 60* and not using my 56*. The loft between 56/60 doesnt translate into much difference. If you manipulate the club face, you can hit a lot of shots with either. Whether i use one or the other is purely based on the bounce/lie. 

Great point.

My overall thought process is that your full swing 100-105 yds wedge should be your most aggressively ground and also mid-low bounce. Then get really comfortable with it and be able to hit it high-mid-low with varying amounts of spin on less that 100 yard shots and in the short game.

Hot take: I think you can do more with a mid-low bounce, more aggressive ground 56 than you can with a 54,58 or 60.

4 Wedge Setup

PW-46o, GW-50o, SW-54o, LW-58o 

The course I currently am a member has very frim and fast greens, there are a lot of tricky situations so I find having that extra wedge very helpful.

My old course was very flat and the greens were slow so I was playing three wedges there with an extra long iron. 

• Thanks 1

5 Wedge set up that isn't really a 5 Wedge set up given the numbers on my irons and the lofts are hilarious.

PW - 42

GW - 48

If we're being honest that's a 9 iron, set PW, and 3 wedges.

• Like 2

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

9 hours ago, nosedive32 said:

5 Wedge set up that isn't really a 5 Wedge set up given the numbers on my irons and the lofts are hilarious.

PW - 42

GW - 48

If we're being honest that's a 9 iron, set PW, and 3 wedges.

That's crazy...OEM's are definitely taking the jacked lofts thing way too far!! 😳

• Thanks 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 1 year later...

I was thinking of going from 4 back to 3 wedges, ala the "Stan Utley Method"

This is based on the 2021-2022 season 50-125 yards proximity... I wish they published strokes gained, but they do not.

image.png.919531351608b7d0f690ef610d7a37ba.png

• 3 of the top 15 play 3 wedges, the rest 4.
  • 5 of the top 15 play their set wedge.
  • Most the variability in bounce was in the 54/56 wedge range.
  • 4 50° wedges vs 8 52° wedges.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar