2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Who is the best Wedge/Short game player on PGA, European, or Champions Tour?

BallerNate

4 minutes ago, Shankieboink said:

The best on those two tours I don’t know. The best in the world, probably Bernhard Langer. I remember when A Norén was teamed with him for the 2019 Masters. He was chocked by Langer. He got up and down from everywhere. Noren had never seen anything like it (and his short game is fantastic)

Yeah, Langer is incredible to watch! Should’ve included the Champions Tour as well...I just edited the topic. I’ve been watching lots of Champions Tour as well, no age discrimination here...I’m 42, so I’m closer to Mickleson’s age than JT’s, Lol!! The vets are definitely cool to watch too!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

JT has gotten so good at controlling the spin on his shot around the green and getting up and down. 

Jason Day is another one of my favorites for this also. There’s a great TaylorMade video on YouTube with Tiger, Rory and Jason where they all go through their techniques. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I agree 100% with all the guys that mentioned JT...he’s definitely one of my favourites to watch! Is James Sieckmann his short game coach like some of the other Titleist guys, or just his Dad? Reading Sieckmann’s book now.

For Jason Day, since I’ve only been watching a lot of golf this year I just haven’t seen him at his best. I understand he’s still recovering from a bad back and neck injury...

Will have to check Rumford out for all the European Tour guys...I haven’t seen him in action yet.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

My most recent anecdotal impression of short game was Sungjae sabotaging himself nearly every approach on Sunday at the Masters and then seemingly getting up and down from almost everywhere.

• Like 2

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Ventus Blue 6X 

Cobra Speedzone 14.5* - Atmos Blue 7X

Taylormade Gapr Lo 19* - Tensei Blue 80X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-P -  AMT Tour White X100

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 56*, 60*

Scotty Cameron TeI 3 Newport 2/ Odyssey Stroke Lab Black #7

Hatton has a crazy good short game.

J.T. got amazing the last few years.

Rahm is up there.
Stricker was crazy in the past but doesn't play a lot anymore.
Champions Tour: I don't think anyone touches Langer! Did you see him at the Masters. The guy hits driver 250, fairway wood, up and down every time.

• Like 2

Day's short game was underrated when he was at his best. YJS was an excellent wedge player. As someone said earlier JT is very good at controlling spin with shots but he doesn't strike me as the up and in from anywhere guy. Always been a huge Z. Johnson fan. Guy was consistently top 5-10 guy with the wedges if not better. Donald was pretty darn good. He was a top 3 bunker player as well. I hate to mention P Reed but I watched him hit a wedge shot a few days ago (replay) where it took 4 skips and checked perfectly next to the hole. It was not straight forward by any means and I was like wow. He's extremely talented. TW is the goat in all facets and the wedge game is no different. His ability to manufacture and his precision with spin control are in the all-time great category. Langer's wedge game is like a fine wine. From there, the guy that sticks out that no one seemed to mention is Seve. I always thought that his wedge game and bunker play were the hallmark of his game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DGfromBC said:

My most recent anecdotal impression of short game was Sungjae sabotaging himself nearly every approach on Sunday at the Masters and then seemingly getting up and down from almost everywhere.

Yeah, Im and Ancer were both lights out with their wedge games at the Masters...they were very fun to watch!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

4 hours ago, iBanesto said:

Brett Rumford.

Just watched the videos...incredible feel and control for sure!! Is that a 64 degree LW or is it just a 60 opened up? Looks like we need a Brett Rumford WITB...just looked it up on WRX and there was nothing.

Edit: I found a WITB from 2017 (Golf Monthly)...he used Vokey SM6 46, 52, 60 at that time. I’ve actually been going back and forth on my wedge setup and have been wanting to find the right 3 wedge setup and this could be perfect! My PW is 47, but I’ve been hesitant to go 52, 60 after that because of the gaps...but if Rumford could make it work, maybe I can get the distances dialed in with those gaps also!

Edited by BallerNate

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, blitzgolf said:

I remember on TV at Paynes Valley (JT, Tiger, Rory, Rose) ... Tiger said Justin Rose was the best bunker player of that group! Pretty good group to earn that status in. 

Just watched that event last week and saw Tiger say that as well...definitely high praise from the GOAT!! That 19th Hole was incredible...would love to play that course some day!! 😍😍

Edit: Just watching the video @MPAndreassiposted of Tiger, Rory, and Day, and Tiger says that Jason Day is the best bunker player he’s ever seen just as quickly and effortlessly as he said Justin Rose was the best he’s seen, Lol!! Maybe Tiger’s flattering his partner that day or false humility because he really thinks/knows that he himself is actually the greatest bunker player ever?

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

Here’s the TaylorMade video I mentioned. It’s a good watch, really good information in it. I like Jason’s technique that he goes through in it and try to play similar to that myself. Reminds me of the way JT plays also. 

🤯🤯🤯 Wow, this video is gold...it’s like listening to 3 Michaelangelos talking about their artistic visions and interpretations!! Some of their technical points (like most) are above my golfing IQ/understanding right now, but I’ll refer back to it a few more times until I understand it!

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

30 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Just watched that event last week and saw Tiger say that as well...definitely high praise from the GOAT!! That 19th Hole was incredible...would love to play that course some day!! 😍😍

Edit: Just watching the video @MPAndreassiposted of Tiger, Rory, and Day, and Tiger says that Jason Day is the best bunker player he’s ever seen just as quickly and effortlessly as he said Justin Rose was the best he’s seen, Lol!! Maybe Tiger’s flattering his partner that day or false humility because he really thinks/knows that he himself is actually the greatest bunker player ever?

I think at Payne’s Valley the question was “who is the best in the group” and the TaylorMade video is “Best you’ve ever played with” 

• Like 1

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

7 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

🤯🤯🤯 Wow, this video is gold...it’s like listening to 3 Michaelangelos talking about their artistic visions and interpretations!! Some of their technical points (like most) are about my golfing IQ/understanding right now, but I’ll refer back to it a few more times until I understand it!

I rewatch this video all the time. There’s so much good stuff in it. It’s amazing listening to them. All of the videos with Jason in them are great. He draws out so much good information from the other guys in the videos. 

• Like 1

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

3 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

I think at Payne’s Valley the question was “who is the best in the group” and the TaylorMade video is “Best you’ve ever played with” 

Hmm, true...good point. That’s definitely a different distinction/wording. Makes sense.

2 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

I rewatch this video all the time. There’s so much good stuff in it. It’s amazing listening to them. All of the videos with Jason in them are great. He draws out so much good information from the other guys in the videos. 

Yeah, incredible...that’s like a priceless clinic with 3 of the best in the World, pretty amazing!! If I can just incorporate 50% of the knowledge in that video I’ll be a much better wedge player for sure!!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Asian tour but Taworn Wirachant is legendary.

Guys in Euro tour claim.best they seen.

Averages 27 28 putts a round for years.

Hes mad practiser works 6 1/2 days per week.10 12 hour days inc running etc

I watched him for 30.mins during a local tournament.was pitching on downslope and spinning chips to a halt.I had to congratulate him when i moved on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

I'd be happy with any of them ! 😂 I feel like any day either of them could take it. I saw Charlie hit a few closer than Tiger at the PNC !!!😜

12 minutes ago, blitzgolf said:

I'd be happy with any of them ! 😂 I feel like any day either of them could take it. I saw Charlie hit a few closer than Tiger at the PNC !!!😜

Agree 100%! Yeah, Charlie’s wedge game was super impressive for an 11 yr old...I was blown away by how advanced he was for sure!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

While not current there was a time on the PGA Tour when Freddie Jacobson's short game was as good as anybody there was on the PGA Tour. He was nicknamed the Swedish Seve. His short game kept him exempt on the PGA Tour for years. Had some family and injury issues. Still has some PGA Tour status.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, blitzgolf said:

I remember on TV at Paynes Valley (JT, Tiger, Rory, Rose) ... Tiger said Justin Rose was the best bunker player of that group! Pretty good group to earn that status in. 

In one of the Taylor Made videos Tiger says that Day is one of the best bunker players he's ever seen. 

Edited by Jedaigeki
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

Here’s the TaylorMade video I mentioned. It’s a good watch, really good information in it. I like Jason’s technique that he goes through in it and try to play similar to that myself. Reminds me of the way JT plays also. 

Thanks, thats so good. It's like having Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael talking about art. 

Edited by shoot4par
  • Like 2

Wedge and short game are really two different things in my mind.  P Reed, as much as we all hate to admit it, is amazing when it comes to getting up and down.  He hasn’t impressed me as much from 40-120 yds.  JT hits those wedge approaches fantastic.  I don’t know if the numbers back up either of them as the best but they both seem on another level when I’m watching them on TV.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iBanesto said:

Brett Rumford.

The guy that the guy tiger thinks is the best, thinks is the best

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

As far as bunker play goes - an area I'm sensitive to, as it's long been my best/only genuinely decently ranking area of play - I've seen a lot of the best in the business over the years: Trevino, Player, Watson, Seve, Olazabal, Langer, Azinger, Faldo, Els, Price, Frost, Andrade, Sluman, Woods, Mickelson, Donald, Rose, Rumford, Day and co. An early 1990s Tony Johnstone would take them all for a few quid in a late evening, nearest-the-pin on the practice green scramble for money.

In today's game I'd take Justin Thomas's game for fuller wedge shots and pitching. Chipping-wise, I'll still take Olazabal, thanks, even semi-retired. As recently as a couple of years ago, up-close, he's still amazing. Of the current players, I'll choose Jason Day. Bunker play? Fowler and Walker are both impressive, as is Rumford, but I'd go with Day again if my own money was on the line.

• Like 3

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Amazing stuff!! Here’s the summary so far for the guys coming on to the thread now:

PGA Tour:

Tiger

Patrick Reed

JT

Jason Day

Rory

Jordan Spieth

European Tour:

Brett Rumford

Tyrell Hatton

Champions Tour:

Bernhard Langer

Other mentions:

NOT Phil Mickleson (lol), DJ, Rahm, Luke Donald, Zach Johnson, Tom Watson, Justin Rose, Ryan Moore, Kuch, Cameron Smith, Wesley Bryan, Francesco Molinari, Ancer, Im, Morikawa, Stricker, Taworn Wirachant, Freddie Jacobson, Seve, Tony Johnstone, Olazabal, Rickie Fowler, Walker

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX