2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

Has anyone placed an order for one with a non standard shaft and gotten a delivery estimate besides the “3-4 weeks”?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Looks like the HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX is a no upcharge shaft! Pretty cool. But the blue is, which is weird.

Order placed for the MAX LS with a black RDX. Shafts are backordered until Feb 25 tho.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

28 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Custom or stock options

Just updated, be here tomorrow 

MMT 60, different grip, 46”, was considered custom.

pre order 1/18

Edited by Warrick

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I got mine today, ordered at 45 inches, different grip, and Rogue 130 white 60. Initially ordered with the 70 gram Rogue and it was going to be mid April. Looks great in person, I requested the standard swing weight at 45 inches. I wonder how they achieved that?

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

10 minutes ago, tigercolt77 said:

I got mine today, ordered at 45 inches, different grip, and Rogue 130 white 60. Initially ordered with the 70 gram Rogue and it was going to be mid April. Looks great in person, I requested the standard swing weight at 45 inches. I wonder how they achieved that?

How did you place your order for 45 inches? -1/2 or -3/4?

Also the CS rep said they put in a heavier weight in the back.

On 2/12/2021 at 2:22 PM, jds101086 said:

Interested in any gains/differences guys have seen with Max LS vs Mavrik/Flash TD...

I have zero reason to change but these are looking better and better.

I have the Max LS 9.0 with a project X evenflow black 6.0 

I've now played 6 rounds with the driver have had it for a little over a week 

I have a flash TD 9.0 and right now the flash TD is a clear winner both in feel and depression, what I have found is the LS seems to have a right fade bias even after I put it in the draw settings both adapter and weight.

I picked up the Speed today so I will start playing that tomorrow and see if it throws the TD out the bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Golf Daily

3 hours ago, n'play said:

I have a flash TD 9.0 and right now the flash TD is a clear winner both in feel and depression, what I have found is the LS seems to have a right fade bias even after I put it in the draw settings both adapter and weight.

I picked up the Speed today so I will start playing that tomorrow and see if it throws the TD out the bag.

Few questions......

Does the Flash TD appear shorter heel to toe than LS? 

Do you know head weight of your LS ? 

Do you have same shaft in each ? 

14 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Few questions......

Does the Flash TD appear shorter heel to toe than LS? 

Do you know head weight of your LS ? 

Do you have same shaft in each ? 

The TD looks shorter heel to toe 

I was using the same shaft 

I just got back from first 18 with speed it is so much better for me it is straight to slight draw bias I had zero right shots also brought the LS out to compare and again at full draw settings it still wanted to go right.

The speed really did feel faster and ultra forgiving.

I had in the speed the HZRDUS Smoke iM10 6.0 and really got along with that shaft I cant wait to get back out Thursday!   

• Thanks 1

Golf Daily

32 minutes ago, n'play said:

I just got back from first 18 with speed it is so much better for me it is straight to slight draw bias I had zero right shots also brought the LS out to compare and again at full draw settings it still wanted to go right.

I had in the speed the HZRDUS Smoke iM10 6.0 and really got along with that shaft I cant wait to get back out Thursday!   

Assuming you hit LS indoors,  what was the appeal during demo?  I'm in love with head shape,  stability and feel ......I've hit it with current shaft and on the monitor it's been an upgrade over 17 epic albeit small margins.....

I wish the Speed had wgt kits readily available to add as the head feels really light to me and throws off my timing

37 minutes ago, n'play said:

The speed may be working great for you - but it's not really 'ultra forgiving' on paper. It has almost 500+ less MOI than the Max LS and even more so than the Max standard.

The speed is pretty much the same as the Maverick standard from last season.

The speed/maverik standard also work great for me when I hit them great , but I'm looking for more MOI this year. My off-center hits turning into hooks and etc need to be mitigated and the Max LS is doing that - for me.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, n'play said:

When  I used the evenflow black X stiff , I would little fades too. Might just be the shaft. 

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

25 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

The speed may be working great for you - but it's not really 'ultra forgiving' on paper. It has almost 500+ less MOI than the Max LS and even more so than the Max standard.

The speed is pretty much the same as the Maverick standard from last season.

The speed/maverik standard also work great for me when I hit them great , but I'm looking for more MOI this year. My off-center hits turning into hooks and etc need to be mitigated and the Max LS is doing that - for me.

Yeah, I too struggled with mavrik turning ; and Speed is too close in shape .....

Also the LS takes out the right side for me with a fully released power cut ....comforting to see that!

Just now, SwooshLT said:

Yeah, I too struggled with mavrik turning ; and Speed is too close in shape .....

Also the LS takes out the right side for me with a fully released power cut ....comforting to see that!

The Max LS is just perfect with my current impression of it.

Good shape, great sound and feel, adjustability in the weighting, HIGH MOI (rivaling the PING drivers that people go to for MOI), and a few hundred RPM less spin than the max model. I mean whats not to like? 

The Max LS is definitely a 'neutral' driver which I like, but that may not work for everyone of course. 

Several reviewers have called the Speed 'the most draw biased' (I believe that is a TXG quote) which would make sense given @n'plays experience and wanting/liking that draw bias.

For me the high MOI, spin, and ability to have slight draw or slight fade bias are winners in the max LS

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Good shape, great sound and feel, adjustability in the weighting, HIGH MOI (rivaling the PING drivers that people go to for MOI), and a few hundred RPM less spin than the max model. I mean whats not to like? 

The Max LS is definitely a 'neutral' driver which I like, but that may not work for everyone of course. 

Several reviewers have called the Speed 'the most draw biased' (I believe that is a TXG quote) which would make sense given @n'plays experience and wanting/liking that draw bias.

For me the high MOI, spin, and ability to have slight draw or slight fade bias are winners in the max LS

I am with you on all of your recent points. Speed was noticeably less forgiving for me when demoing. It just does not seem to be on the same forgiveness level as the Max and Max LS, and I guess the MOI specs confirm that. Mind you, I did really enjoy the standard Mavrik, but desired just a bit more forgiveness, which is where the B21, and now hopefully the Max and Max LS, come into play.  I know the Max LS will get buzz here due to its low spin, but seriously don't sleep on the Max.  It seems terrific, while managing spin.

I also found the standard Mavrik draw biased, which was not totally undesirable, but was a factor.

Anyway, I traded in some clubs and have a Max and Max LS ordered.  One with MMT 60 S, and the other with IM 10 60 6.0.  Both 9*, which I expect to definitely bump up the Max LS +1, and we'll see about the Max.  I really could not come to a clear conclusion from demoing, so I had no other choice but to pick up both, lol.  I just loved the forgiveness of the Max, while also loving the Max LS and wondering what it might offer out on the course.  Need the snow to melt, and weather to warm up.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

17 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Did you entertain other offerings this year? Sim2, RADspeed,  tsi, etc?

2 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

I know the Max LS will get buzz here due to its low spin, but seriously don't sleep on the Max.  It seems terrific, while managing spin.

Anyway, I traded in some clubs and have a Max and Max LS ordered.  I just loved the forgiveness of the Max, while also loving the Max LS and wondering what it might offer out on the course.  Need the snow to melt, and weather to warm up.  We'll see how it goes.

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

I've given both the Max and Max LS a pretty extensive run-out on the golf course now. I use the Decade app to track my rounds and it gives great Strokes Gained data for every shot. Obviously YMMV, but for me a clear pattern has emerged that I hit more drives that result in negative strokes gained with Max LS than I do with the Max. That signal is strong enough to rise above the background clutter of variations in my own performance, weather conditions etc. etc.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

7 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Did you entertain other offerings this year? Sim2, RADspeed,  tsi, etc?

I've hit the SIM but not the SIM2. I hit the RAD line outdoors and did not like the looks/feel/sound - performance was nothing groundbreaking for me. I have not hit Titleist offerings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

I've given both the Max and Max LS a pretty extensive run-out on the golf course now. I use the Decade app to track my rounds and it gives great Strokes Gained data for every shot. Obviously YMMV, but for me a clear pattern has emerged that I hit more drives that result in negative strokes gained with Max LS than I do with the Max. That signal is strong enough to rise above the background clutter of variations in my own performance, weather conditions etc. etc.

Good info.  I have little doubt that the Max will end up being the one for me out of the two, but I do benefit from spin reduction, so the Max LS will be in the running if it doesn't cost me too much in terms of dispersion.  I was really hitting the Max LS nicely though in the monitor.  My poor B21 is threatened, and it's barely seen a real round since I picked it up due to its release late last season.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Just now, jeffrey r said:

Good info.  I have little doubt that the Max will end up being the one for me out of the two, but I do benefit from spin reduction, so the Max LS will be in the running if it doesn't cost me too much in terms of dispersion.  I was really hitting the Max LS nicely though in the monitor.  My poor B21 is threatened, and it's barely seen a real round since I picked it up due to its release late last season.

We're all different, and you don't REALLY know how you'll react to a piece of kit until you test drive it. Going in I expected the Max LS to be the one, but the results I get from Max are, for me, impossible to argue with.

Having bought both and giving them a long look under real world conditions will give you just as definitive an answer as to which serves you best.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I have my Max LS for a little over a month now.  Coming from a Mavrik SZ TD, I have found that on Trackman the ball speeds are really the same.  But where I find the LS stands out is the ball does not curve as much.  Its like wherever you start the ball it just stays on that line, so no reall slice or hooks.  My dispersion has really tightened up with the LS.  I go back in forth between a HZRDUS Hulk and the Lin-Q charcoal.  But I seem to be gravitating to the Max LS and Lin-q combo lately.  It is definitely one of the most consistent setups Ive played.  But hoping for some good weather this weekend to do a little more testing on my Trackman.  Maybe play around with sliding weight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue 6F5
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond  15*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Red  7F5
Callaway Apex UW 19*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Blue  8F5
Callaway Apex Pro 24*  USTMamiya LIN-Q Black 105F5
Callaway Apex Pro CB 5-11 USTMamiya Recoil Dart V 130 F5
Callaway MD5 Jaws Black 56W, 60LW
Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Las Vegas H7
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

How do they compare to the epic flash? 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 10* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 16* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

2 Iron: Titleist U500 w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

4 Iron-PW: Titleist 718 AP2 Black w/ True Temper Onyx AMT White

50*- Vokey SM8 Jet Black F Grind w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Onyx

54* Vokey SM8 Jet Black F Grind w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Onyx

60* Vokey SM8 Jet Black D Grind w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Onyx

Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless Custom

Ball- Titleist ProV1x

On 2/15/2021 at 5:27 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

How did you place your order for 45 inches? -1/2 or -3/4?

Also the CS rep said they put in a heavier weight in the back.

- 3/4 inches and asked for the stock swing weight. 

• Thanks 1

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

On 2/15/2021 at 2:54 PM, n'play said:

Love the Flash TD also, such a great driver

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH