MMT driver shafts: Anyone tried it?

KingKong

• 2 weeks later...

Have the MMT 60S in my Cally Max LS. Solid feel, mid to mid-low trajectory and very stable. I was interested in the "blueboard feel" primarily as that is my favorite shaft of all time. I have to get a few more rounds to comment on my total review of it, but I like the smooth feel of it, the stability of the shaft through impact. I feel like it was more stable than the kuro kage (felt like there was more of an active "kick" on the KK, that I didn't like). Through impact, I feel like I have great control and awareness of the clubface.  

• Like 1

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

• 3 weeks later...

I went through a fitting today with several shafts/heads, and the MMT 70X in an Epic Max LS won out. For direct comparison, it dropped launch by about 2 degrees when compared to the Project X im10 in the same head. Additionally, I noticed spin was down by probably about 500-600 rpm when comparing those two shafts, and the MMT felt more stable. The end result was a much better ball flight with a consistent 15 yard improvement in carry and more rollout. One of the other competitors was a TSi3 with a Tensei AV Raw white. I liked the feel of that shaft, but that combo only launched about 10 degrees, which usually isn’t ideal on the course.

I have been playing the MMT 70X tipped an inch for since the season started waiting for my Ventus to get here.  I thought it felt fairly robust for a stock shaft.  Pretty smooth.  But, I felt like I had a tendency to push it just a touch.  Like the face was just a hair too far behind.  Now that I have a round with the Ventus in my setup, that miss was completely gone.  While the MMT is a decent shaft, I am glad my time with it is over.  I thought tipping it an inch would tighten it up enough.  But, it just wasn't quite there.  But, it wasn't too far off.  Maybe taking off another half inch and playing it a little shorter would have had some better results.  

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 12:20 PM, radiman said:

I have been playing the MMT 70X tipped an inch for since the season started waiting for my Ventus to get here.  I thought it felt fairly robust for a stock shaft.  Pretty smooth.  But, I felt like I had a tendency to push it just a touch.  Like the face was just a hair too far behind.  Now that I have a round with the Ventus in my setup, that miss was completely gone.  While the MMT is a decent shaft, I am glad my time with it is over.  I thought tipping it an inch would tighten it up enough.  But, it just wasn't quite there.  But, it wasn't too far off.  Maybe taking off another half inch and playing it a little shorter would have had some better results.  

What ventus specs did you go with?

13 hours ago, JxMOx said:

What ventus specs did you go with?

Ventus Blue 6X tipped an inch.  I had the 7X last year and wanted to try something a little lighter.  

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• 3 months later...

i own the MMT 60s in my Rogue driver. I tested on the course against Kyoshi tour blue 60-04, Ventus Black 60s and Ventus Blue 60s. I swing 105 and prefer mid launch and low spin and this shaft won out.

Have had it in the bag all summer and sold all the other shafts. For me the trajectory is perfect and it feels great. good luck

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2021 at 9:07 PM, Golfer from MO said:

I just tested an MMT 60tx (70g) against my ventus 7x black. I've also hit the MMT 70x and will touch on that also.

I'm a 0 cap heavy loader from the top 120ss  currently play ventus 7x

First off, the 70mmt X from cally in my epic LS was a little soft for me. Great shaft for up to 115 if smooth but untipped it felt a little loose for me. 

Ventus 7x is the straightest shaft I've yet tested. Mic drop straight, never question if it dates chick's straight and strong. 

The only thing I've found is it flies a tad lower than I want. 

Enter the mmt 60tx, very tight with a firm handle which is a must for me. What I like about it is the overall profile is much stiffer than the 70x and the flight was almost 20 ft higher peak than the ventus 7x black.

Spin with the ventus was 2180 and 2330 with the 60tx mmt. Not as much roll but I like my yards in the air. 11 more carry yards with MMT and it kept up with heavy swings as well. Not as straight as ventus but definitely NOT wild at all.  This is a must try shaft for faster guys looking for a tight shaft with a little mid flight air time😉

Thanks for sharing this comp - it is literally the exact scenario I was looking for. Tipped the crap out of a MMT 70x while I waiting for my other shaft to arrive, and absolutely bombed it - just a TOUCH loose. But the profile felt great in my hands, I was shocked how well it held up. I swing 122-124 but the Ventus black feels like s*** to me and is a touch low

The MMT 60tx can be had on eBay for like $115 at this point, seems like a great value for a TX flex shaft. I'm going to order one up. 2300rpm and a mid/flat trajectory is exactly where I want to be 

Edited by MagicMan79
  • Like 1

TSR4 8*, Accra RPG 362 M5 & Ventus Red 7x

Sim Rocket 14*, Accra TZ6 75 M5

790 2i UDI (2021), Accra TZ5 105 M5

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW, Modus 120 TX

Callaway JAWS 50, 54, 60,  x100 DG

1/1 Lajosi DD-201 WB, Stability Tour blackout 

9 minutes ago, nitram said:

Has anyone that's tried the MMT ever gamed or even hit a steel shafted driver? If so, how does it compare?

Honestly, no modern graphite shaft is going to be in the same ballpark as any steel shaft in a driver. The weight difference is just too much. I dont know what the lightest steel shaft available is for a driver length, but its gotta be 100g or very close. It will more than likely feel like swinging a battle axe 

TSR4 8*, Accra RPG 362 M5 & Ventus Red 7x

Sim Rocket 14*, Accra TZ6 75 M5

790 2i UDI (2021), Accra TZ5 105 M5

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW, Modus 120 TX

Callaway JAWS 50, 54, 60,  x100 DG

1/1 Lajosi DD-201 WB, Stability Tour blackout 

It does and that's why I ask. I was one of the first to replace my X100 with the MMT 125TX and it was a seamless transition. There have been several threads over the years about folks wanting to put a steel shaft in a driver/fairway. Just wondering if the new MMT shaft we're discussing here is a viable alternative for those searching for steel without the weight.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:18 AM, nitram said:

It does and that's why I ask. I was one of the first to replace my X100 with the MMT 125TX and it was a seamless transition. There have been several threads over the years about folks wanting to put a steel shaft in a driver/fairway. Just wondering if the new MMT shaft we're discussing here is a viable alternative for those searching for steel without the weight.

What steel are you comparing/have? 

Steel isn't as stiff as many graphite shafts and you likely need a heavy graphite that fits your profile. MMT 80x could be ideal shift from steel played at 44.5. That profile is similar to steel but tighter. The lighter 70 and 60 in x and tx are to big a jump from steel imo. Good luck

• 3 months later...

Tried the 70g Stiff flex in a clearance epic speed 3 wood in Golf Galaxy recently. Nice balance of feel and stability. My clubhead speed was around 112mph that day with no warmup so probably would love to try an x flex. Honestly, it only to me 4 swings to square it up so for me it was easy to get along with. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Update, the 60s MMT in my Rogue driver is permanently in the bag, had a great season with it. So much so that I sold the Oban Tour Blue back up shaft. 

I liked the feel of the MMT so much that I ordered the 70s for my 3 wood and love it as well. Trajectory and feel are the same as the driver shaft. Major upgrade for me.

Considering giving the iron shafts a demo as well

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

• 1 month later...

I have the MMT 80X in my 3 wood and have around a 110 swing speed. I am a big strong guy and I would say that my dispersion has been noticeably better than with the Tensei Blue 75X stiff. I can't shape the ball as well but the flight and consistency is really good. I would still like to test out some other X-stiff shafts but launch, accuracy, and consistency is all there. I carry it 260 pretty easy and hit it decently high and soft. I am interested to see what I should do with a new Driver. I'm still on an old 2018 Rogue with a 70x Speeder 661 which I found to be way less consistent ball flight then the MMT. 

• 3 months later...
29 minutes ago, FreshDK said:

Anyone who can compare with Hzardus RDX Black? I currently game the 6.5 60g but I got offered a Callaway Rogue ST LS with MMT 60x. I’m 105-110 SS.

Not the same shaft. The Hzrdus RDX Black is a low/low which is overall stiffer with a different bend profile. The MMT is more of a traditional profile with some slightly reinforced areas with the MMT.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

39 minutes ago, FreshDK said:

Anyone who can compare with Hzardus RDX Black? I currently game the 6.5 60g but I got offered a Callaway Rogue ST LS with MMT 60x. I’m 105-110 SS.

I've had the rdx black 6.5 70g and the MMT 70TX. Not much difference in use between those, so I would expect the MMT 60X to play quite a bit softer than your current gamer.

Hated the feel of both so can't really make a recommendation there. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting an older thread here but I have a few shafts that I’ve been testing on course.

A little background I’m a lefty with an on-course swing speed around 102. However I’m on a mission to find a shaft/head combo that I can feel comfortable swinging closer to my current max of 110 (which usually results in a quicker transition).

The heads are Epic Speed(9) and Epic Max (10.5). Not a perfect comparison but I got nice deals on both and wanted to try them. One came with an Aldila Rogue MSI130 60X and the other came with an IM10 50g 6.0. Separate from those two I ran across an MMT 60S.

Head wise the Max didn’t work for me, it may have been the 10.5 although I cranked it down to 9.5. The Speed actually does what it advertises and I do swing faster with it. 

So far on course the MMT is the clear winner from a dispersion and perceived stability standpoint. The distance was the same or a few yards further than the Aldila but I wish I had an Aldila in a 60S instead of X because I think that would be right up there as well. The IM10 50g is either too light or too whippy because I can’t stop the hook with that one. 

The MMT with the Epic Speed head has given me the best results so far. I’m going to sell the Epic Max/IM10 combo and see about finding an Aldila 60S. The X flex is OK but if I don’t really go after it, it tends to float out to the fade side and lose some distance.

I’m aware I could go for a fitting but everything I buy is at a discount and lightly used so I always break even and usually turn a profit when I sell. I’ve also been fitted a few times and haven’t seen the results translate on course for whatever reason so I’m finding some success in on-course testing the different combos. 

On 2/27/2021 at 7:29 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

I didn’t love it. Kind of a dead shaft. Has some kick but just wasn’t doing anything for me.

This was my exact impression when I tried it in a Callaway head (Epic Speed I think) at my local pro shop. It had a numb feeling to it, hard to describe but it didn't seem to feel any better if I swung harder to tried to dial it back. I thought I might like it since I have a Steelfiber 110 in my hybrid, but it wasn't a fit for me. 

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Tour Edge XCG7 (21*) Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Tour Select 835 (17*) Driving Iron

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C  

Titleist Pro V1X

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing the MMT 6X for the summer with the Cally Max Ls, always been a Tensei blue guy, and I actually had one custom-made for the cally.  I’ve also hit the DI whiteboard, and I’m finding that my distance is just as good with a lot better dispersion.  I feel like I can get after it more and still have some confidence.  Swing speed 115 for me.  

• 3 months later...

Had the mmt 70x in my my epic gbb…felt like a 2x4 in my hand.. swing speed 110-113.

sold it no problem to a guy that wanted this shaft…

year later I hit the max ls with mmt 60x…

night and day..

every rainy day I get, I got to pga and try different things…

only thing so far that’s longer and consistent for me is the rogue triple diamond ls with the Mitsubishi 65x..

but I’m more consistent with my max ls with 60x…even tho I was 10 yards shorter than the rogue TD ls at times…

so if you’re thinking about a mmt, try the in different weights as I hated the 70x

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 9:54 PM, kcowgolf said:

Played the first round with my MMT 60X driver shaft.  Overall pretty good performance, very windy today but the ball seemed to fly right through it.  Not the most lively in terms of feel but performance was solid.  I'm intrigued and hoping to get out on a less windy day very soon.  

What is your swing speed range with driver normally? I'm usually around 105+ , however, it can go up or down from there.

I have been playing the Epic Max LS driver with 70x MMT shaft. The stability is great, however, I feel it's too heavy as the round goes on and I can have a double miss problem.  When I get it, it's flushed, but feel like it can be a little difficult to load consistently.

I just ordered the 60x MMT which comes in at 68 grams. I was between the 60x and 60s MMT so hopefully it's good! All my other clubs are stiff currently. Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Haven't tried it yet in fairway. But I'm interested. From the descriptions it sounds like a an aldila green NV (the newer version.) Rahm uses it in his driver and I think one of his fairways. I've used and like the green NV in fairways. Anyone have experience with the NV and MMT fairways?

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball