Callaway Apex TCB - U.S. Release???

uscgolfguy

Has anybody bought the Pros and the TCBs? I had a combo-set of the MBs and Pros and sent the Pros back for two reasons. A little more "chunky" than I'd like, but the show stopper for me was how "clicky" the Pros were. I have had a few different hollow players clubs and some were not "clicky" (at least to me) such as the PXG 0311T/P and the Titleist T-MBs, while the Apex Pros and the Ping irons (i210 and i500) were very clicky to me.

I'd love to order TCBs, but don't want to just have to return / sell them because they have same sound and feel as the Pros. Any feedback from those who have hit both would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* AD DI 6x 43 3/4”
Callaway Rogue 3w Hzdrus Black S
Titleist 816H2 21*
Titleist 818H2 17*
PXG 0311T/P 5-PW Aerotch Steelfiber I95 S
Titleist Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
All irons/wedges 2* flat, -0.25"
Scott Cameron Tour Newport 2 Black Pearl

18 minutes ago, scratchgolfer48069 said:

Has anybody bought the Pros and the TCBs? I had a combo-set of the MBs and Pros and sent the Pros back for two reasons. A little more "chunky" than I'd like, but the show stopper for me was how "clicky" the Pros were. I have had a few different hollow players clubs and some were not "clicky" (at least to me) such as the PXG 0311T/P and the Titleist T-MBs, while the Apex Pros and the Ping irons (i210 and i500) were very clicky to me.

I'd love to order TCBs, but don't want to just have to return / sell them because they have same sound and feel as the Pros. Any feedback from those who have hit both would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!

The TCBs are not hollow

20 minutes ago, scratchgolfer48069 said:

Thanks!

I have not hit the Pros, but the TCBs feel super solid to me, like a one-piece forged CB. For what it's worth, I do think the T-MB feel clicky (I play one in a 3 despite the feel), and the TCBs feel nothing like them. I'm coming to them from a solid forged MB / CB set of Mizunos, and feel on the TCB was great when I tested. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

13 minutes ago, m_w said:

The TCBs are not hollow

Interesting. What the heck is behind the tamper resistent torx screws on the back of the iron? Is that just a solid chunk of metal that allows Cally to swing weight properly. I assume that covered some sort of cavity? No?

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* AD DI 6x 43 3/4”
Callaway Rogue 3w Hzdrus Black S
Titleist 816H2 21*
Titleist 818H2 17*
PXG 0311T/P 5-PW Aerotch Steelfiber I95 S
Titleist Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
All irons/wedges 2* flat, -0.25"
Scott Cameron Tour Newport 2 Black Pearl

37 minutes ago, scratchgolfer48069 said:

Thanks!

I bought the pros and had the same thought as you as far as sound and feel go.  Too clicky for my liking.  Once I found out the TCB were going to be available, I sold the Apex Pros and placed my order without hesitating.  The TCB are much much more solid than the Apex Pro.  They don't feel as dense as an MB.  But, I haven't really found a cavity back that does.  They feel a lot like the Apex Pro Dot from 2019.  Plus the shorter blade length and minimal offset are great to look down on.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

57 minutes ago, scratchgolfer48069 said:

Thanks!

The TCB are soft and personally believe the feel great.  They feel like a GREAT cavity back forged iron.  Seems like there is enough balance to discern between great ball strikes, OK and bad ones.  

Titleist T100 feel great too, but almost feel a little “clicky” more “crisp”, but only noticed it after hitting the TCB.  I believe the Srixon ZX7 and Z Forged “feel” the softest of the current irons I’ve been able to hit...almost bordering “mushy” from the standpoint that you lose connection with exact location of ball striking on the face.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scratchgolfer48069 said:

Interesting. What the heck is behind the tamper resistent torx screws on the back of the iron? Is that just a solid chunk of metal that allows Cally to swing weight properly. I assume that covered some sort of cavity? No?

Exactly that. It's a weight, nothing more. The Cally rep described it to me as "X-Forged CB and MB having a baby"

Edited by m_w

10 minutes ago, thinch84 said:

Where you guys ordering from and how much are they asking for a 4-P set?  How is turn around time?

You can check online pricing at Scottsdale Golf (include shipping and duty in checkout cart), Fairway Golf USA or ask fitters such as Peoples Golf, JDS Clubs and others for a quote.  

Turnaround time for "retail" type orders was 3-4 weeks about a month ago, not sure how that has changed, a fitter may be faster if they have all components in stock.

15 minutes ago, thinch84 said:

Where you guys ordering from and how much are they asking for a 4-P set?  How is turn around time?

I was given 3-4 weeks on an order placed last weekend. Not clear yet whether it is heads, shafts, grips, or all of the above that is holding things up. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

18 minutes ago, eagle2838 said:

I was given 3-4 weeks on an order placed last weekend. Not clear yet whether it is heads, shafts, grips, or all of the above that is holding things up. 

I was one week from order placed to them showing up on my doorstep here in the US.

• Like 1

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

On 4/16/2021 at 7:35 PM, hooperpsu said:

Just ordered my set today after hitting a 7 iron demo. They only had it in a PX LS 6.0, standard length/lie and I'm a +1.5" and at least 2* up so it was hard to get a real indication on numbers. 

That said, it felt incredible. Look is flawless. Compact, clean and so solid. I could feel the ball on the face so transparently I'm not sure how to really describe it. 

Coming from still gaming my '07 X Forged, this is a very familiar but welcomed improvement!

I went with the LS in the same 6.5 as my current gamers, the OG rifle satin PX's. Can't wait to get these in my spec and give them a run!

At +1.5" any idea how the swingweight worked out (I also play +1.5")?

36 minutes ago, toddmanley said:

At +1.5" any idea how the swingweight worked out (I also play +1.5")?

Haven't had them checked yet. They shipped with no grips and I put a Z Cord midsize on there. Next time I'm at a shop with a scale I'll get them measured and report back. 

Just hit them off mats for the first time this afternoon. Really impressed so far with forgiveness since I couldn't seem to find the damned middle of the face! 

Playing in the morning so we'll see how they do for real.

• Like 1

I just wrapped up a call with Discount Dan's to get an order built up with the 105tx and the Callaway TCB head.  Waiting will be hard...

Here's how I got to the decision to make the move over to the TCB's.  I have a current set of AP21's/DG TI X100's but they're sledgehammers (see below for length details).  I ordered a single AP21/MMT 105tx 7iron to test which was delivered yesterday and I went straight to the range.  Wow, to say I'm impressed is an understatement!  This shaft is legit!  With the +1.5" length the SW came down from E3 to E0 - so much easier to swing last night. 

As others have noted the MMT gives a bit more of a softer forged feel to the AP21 head which in the opinion of a lot of people (mine included) is a little cliky.  I'm sure this combo will be great with the TCB's.

-Thanks, Todd

• Like 2

Really curious to hear how you get on with the MMT's. I have the PX LS 6.5's in mine and there's zero feedback compared to the '07 X-Forged I've been gaming since then. The flights and performance are ridiculously good, but I'm getting next to no feedback on where I'm hitting it. Seems unlikely it's just the head so I'm wondering if that shaft just feels dead??

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

In my opinion, these seem to be really an anti-digging iron. 
My divots seem way more shallow, and the ease to get through thicker spring rough seems a little simpler.

I’ve got a set coming with my C Taper, as my $ Taper experience wasn’t what I was hoping for, but they’re that good that I ordered 2 sets.

Will post new findings as I get out for more rounds.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brooks Cupcake said:

In my opinion, these seem to be really an anti-digging iron. 
My divots seem way more shallow, and the ease to get through thicker spring rough seems a little simpler.

I’ve got a set coming with my C Taper, as my $ Taper experience wasn’t what I was hoping for, but they’re that good that I ordered 2 sets.

Will post new findings as I get out for more rounds.

HA!!!  I can not confirm nor deny that I may or may not have requested a backup set in anticipation of supply/demand constraints...DG X100 Tour Issue - soft stepped...

• Like 1