2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Unpopular Equipment Opinions

karstens_ghost

47 minutes ago, Vlade15 said:

The MB21s might be the prettiest iron I have ever seen in my life.

Hahaha, they still have that ungodly ugly plug in the middle and the hideous Cally logo. They might actually be the ugliest MB’s out there 🤣🤣

Setting a Cally MB next to an MP 221 is like sitting a dirty pig next to Margot Robbie

• Confused 1

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-P C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  47°, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Studio Select Newport 2.6
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

5 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

Hahaha, they still have that ungodly ugly plug in the middle and the hideous Cally logo. They might actually be the ugliest MB’s out there 🤣🤣

Setting a Cally MB next to an MP 221 is like sitting a dirty pig next to Margot Robbie

I dunno, I'd like to get my hands on a pair of Adams Pro Black MB's, I love they way they look! 😄 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

•  1:      Mizuno ST190 9.5' / FujiKura Atmos Blue / Midsize Super Stroke grip

•  3:     Adams TightLies Titanium 3+ 13.5' / Bassara E55 / Mid Champkey X-Rubber (Golf Pride Z-grip replica)

•  5:     Adams Super Hybrid 19' / Matrix Ozik / Mid Champkey X-Rubber 

• ╘ :     Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 4-GW/ Dynamic Gold S300 / Mid Champkey X-Rubber

• 56º:  Cleveland RTX 4.0 10/Mid / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 / Mid Golf Pride CP2 Pro *only "brand new" club I've ever owned*

• 61º:   TaylorMade Tour 61' with Copper Insert Face / No clue on the shaft but it's step-less / Reg Golf Pride CP2 Pro (2 layers of tape)

• $$:    Odyssey 2-Ball Fang Tank / Cut down shaft / Yamato 3.0 grip

2 hours ago, UnkleRaRa said:

I dunno, I'd like to get my hands on a pair of Adams Pro Black MB's, I love they way they look! 😄 

s-l1600.jpg

Unpopular opinion; I think something like this is worth it. You'd never accidentally pull the wrong club. I'm actually sorta bummed they took the club face imprint off the i210.

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

On 4/20/2022 at 4:31 PM, PhilsFanDrew said:

Yep, beyond that its not even optimally functional for recreational golfers.  Most tour pros when they play casually do not use a tour staff bag.

Tour pros only use staff bags because it has the most real estate for branding and the logo is visible from 4 fairways away. Amateurs should use the lightest bag they can find. Carrying your scramble partner is hard enough. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Taylormade Stealth 9o - Even Flow Riptide CB 6.0 S

Srixon ZU65 17o 2i - Miyazaki Tour Issue

Ping G410 22o 4h - Fujikura Pro 2.0 7S

Mizuno MP4 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S

Vokey SM8 50-56-60

Scotty Cameron GOLO S

4 hours ago, SDG90 said:

Tour pros only use staff bags because it has the most real estate for branding and the logo is visible from 4 fairways away. Amateurs should use the lightest bag they can find. Carrying your scramble partner is hard enough. 

I have no problem using a staff bag in texas where it’s too hot to walk and the courses have a quarter mile between tee boxes. 

5 hours ago, callawayjay said:

I have no problem using a staff bag in texas where it’s too hot to walk and the courses have a quarter mile between tee boxes. 

Same thing in Florida, I have never bought one but a couple of friends have them and boy you can carry anything you need and still have room.

• Like 2

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

21 hours ago, UnkleRaRa said:

s-l1600.jpg

🤣 Are those golf clubs or billboards?

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

8 hours ago, Jim53 said:

Same thing in Florida, I have never bought one but a couple of friends have them and boy you can carry anything you need and still have room.

How much stuff do you need on an 18 hole round of golf? Especially in warm climates like Florida and Texas you don’t need to carry jackets, waterproofs and winter gloves. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Stealth 9o - Even Flow Riptide CB 6.0 S

Srixon ZU65 17o 2i - Miyazaki Tour Issue

Ping G410 22o 4h - Fujikura Pro 2.0 7S

Mizuno MP4 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S

Vokey SM8 50-56-60

Scotty Cameron GOLO S

2 hours ago, SDG90 said:

How much stuff do you need on an 18 hole round of golf? Especially in warm climates like Florida and Texas you don’t need to carry jackets, waterproofs and winter gloves. 

Well in Florida you have to have room for a tactical shootgun, at least one handgun and lots of ammo 😉 Not to mention a case of water or the beverage of your choice and some snacks, oh and all that silly golf stuff...

• Haha 3

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

On 4/22/2022 at 4:04 PM, The Mad Bomber said:

Mizuno's look like old garbage after a month in the bag due to the finish and bag chatter. Not to mention the awful font. Difference of opinion I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2021 at 2:21 AM, BIG STU said:

I will agree with you on Aldila shafts---- Went through 10 of those shafts trying to match up numbers that we had on my Hogan GSS driver-- Was building a Wishon. Finally said screw it and put in an old UST Pro Force 65 in the Wishon---- Now my current 3 wood has a NVS in it--- I did not build that club but found it and it does hit good for me.

Are Wishon Clubs any good? I recently got into Golf just about 2 years ago. There is a local Golf shop owner that sells Wishon products. I was looking at their Drivers as a new Driver for me. Any feedback positive or negative, pros? Cons?

On 10/7/2021 at 8:29 PM, Myherobobhope said:

Ive been golf pride my whole career… now I’m going to try some Lamkin. Eventually. If I remember.

I love Golf Pride, but I have recently fallen in love with the Tacki Mat midsized grips. The shop owner in my town accidentally regripped my PW with the wrong grip and after looking at it and feeling it I have decided to regrip all my clubs with that grip. Very sticky and last forever. 

On 10/28/2021 at 10:35 AM, PuffyC said:

Unpopular but not necessarily equipment related:

You don’t need multiple tees on each hole. It slows down the game and nobody plays from the right tees anyway. Just pick one and go with it. 

Everyone in a group should play the same tees. Don’t care if you male/female or young/old. I’d rather wait for you to hit one more shot from the fairway than stop down for multiple tees on every hole.

A lost ball that you know landed in play should not be a penalty. Just drop where everyone agrees after 60 seconds of looking and move on. The PGA Tour has spotters everywhere but I don’t get that luxury so why should I be penalized, especially when it’s because the course is too cheap to mow?

Sand traps have absolutely no place on a golf course. The only people they hurt are amateurs, and the worse you are the more they hurt, plus they slow the game.

Changing equipment rules to decrease length on the tour is stupid. Just draw a line across the fairway at 300 yards and make any tee shot over that line a one stroke penalty. This is essentially the same concept as the 3 pt line in basketball - you get too close to the rim and a basket is only worth 2 points, not 3.

Fully agree....We play what we call "The gallery rule". If all players see the general area the ball went and its in play but cannot be found, we drop without penalty. All parties must be in agreement. 

So I am new here. This is my first post. I have really enjoyed reading this thread (I only read 35 pages so if any of mine have already been said I apologize).

#1- IF you are 15 plus handicap, or someone who has no clue where the bottom of their swing is, you have no business buying new clubs. Learn to swing with what you have. As I mentioned I am only 2 years in to playing golf regularly ( I played since I was 12 but only couple times a year and never practiced. I am using a Calloway X2Hot Driver that I can hit further and better than my brothers new Cobra Rad Speed, and My playing buddy's Sim2 Max. Learn your swing. 

#2 expensive putters do not make you a better putter. LEarn to read greens. Learn to hit the 24in circle around the hole on 10 feet and out.  I put with a Pinemeadow mallet putter because I am better with it than my more expensive offerings.

#3 Speed is more important in putting than line. 

#4- From 20 yards and in every chip shot has the same landing spot (assuming its not a front short sided pin location). Adust your club and ball position depending on if your 10 ft, 15 ft,  10 yards or 20 yards. Land the thing within the first 3 feet of Green off the fringe. Of course factor in slope on the green, but as a general rule of thumb.

#5- If you hit into me once i will let it slide if you yelled fore. If you hit into me a second time I am at the very least keeping your Prov1. If it's a cheap ball, I am teeing up in the fairway and returning to sender. 

#6 Cart fees are way to much now. Used to only be a few dollars difference.

#7 Courses should have days designated as walking days only and cart days only. 

#8- People complaining about distance and dialing the ball back probably do not hit the ball 200+ yards themselves. 

#9 - People who throw tantrums after every shot are not welcome to play with me anymore. No one cares about your shot but you and you are making an a** of yourself and ruining the game for everyone else. 

#10- Carts should have radios.

SIAP

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Are Wishon Clubs any good? I recently got into Golf just about 2 years ago. There is a local Golf shop owner that sells Wishon products. I was looking at their Drivers as a new Driver for me. Any feedback positive or negative, pros? Cons?

I love Golf Pride, but I have recently fallen in love with the Tacki Mat midsized grips. The shop owner in my town accidentally regripped my PW with the wrong grip and after looking at it and feeling it I have decided to regrip all my clubs with that grip. Very sticky and last forever. 

Fully agree....We play what we call "The gallery rule". If all players see the general area the ball went and its in play but cannot be found, we drop without penalty. All parties must be in agreement. 

So I am new here. This is my first post. I have really enjoyed reading this thread (I only read 35 pages so if any of mine have already been said I apologize).

#1- IF you are 15 plus handicap, or someone who has no clue where the bottom of their swing is, you have no business buying new clubs. Learn to swing with what you have. As I mentioned I am only 2 years in to playing golf regularly ( I played since I was 12 but only couple times a year and never practiced. I am using a Calloway X2Hot Driver that I can hit further and better than my brothers new Cobra Rad Speed, and My playing buddy's Sim2 Max. Learn your swing. 

#2 expensive putters do not make you a better putter. LEarn to read greens. Learn to hit the 24in circle around the hole on 10 feet and out.  I put with a Pinemeadow mallet putter because I am better with it than my more expensive offerings.

#4- From 20 yards and in every chip shot has the same landing spot (assuming its not a front short sided pin location). Adust your club and ball position depending on if your 10 ft, 15 ft,  10 yards or 20 yards. Land the thing within the first 3 feet of Green off the fringe. Of course factor in slope on the green, but as a general rule of thumb.

#5- If you hit into me once i will let it slide if you yelled fore. If you hit into me a second time I am at the very least keeping your Prov1. If it's a cheap ball, I am teeing up in the fairway and returning to sender. 

#8- People complaining about distance and dialing the ball back probably do not hit the ball 200+ yards themselves. 

#9 - People who throw tantrums after every shot are not welcome to play with me anymore. No one cares about your shot but you and you are making an a** of yourself and ruining the game for everyone else. 

SIAP

Do you get hit often?  Kind of odd since you said you just started.  I’ve been playing 40 years and have only seen two people get hit.  Either way it’s an accident.  Stealing their ball or hitting it back them is just stupid.  When every shot you hit goes right down the middle than maybe you can pop off.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, dodint said:

For a first post that really stuck to the intent of the thread. Just a bushel full of terrible opinions. 

I dunno.... I agree with #6, it's getting ridiculous. 

•  3:     Adams TightLies Titanium 3+ 13.5' / Bassara E55 / Mid Champkey X-Rubber (Golf Pride Z-grip replica)

• ╘ :     Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 4-GW/ Dynamic Gold S300 / Mid Champkey X-Rubber

• 56º:  Cleveland RTX 4.0 10/Mid / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 / Mid Golf Pride CP2 Pro *only "brand new" club I've ever owned*

• 61º:   TaylorMade Tour 61' with Copper Insert Face / No clue on the shaft but it's step-less / Reg Golf Pride CP2 Pro (2 layers of tape)

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

SIAP

IMHO Wishon is quality stuff--- Tom Wishon goes way back in the Golf design world and I have always found his products to be great stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

These are garbage takes. So someone that has clubs that are too stiff can find a way to play through that? Your clubs need to reward you for good swings. And while you don't need a Scotty to be a good putter, I remember buying a Dunlop insert putter at Target when I worked there in high school because it went on clearance for $4.00. My golf coach noticed I was putting like trash with it even though I was the best putter on the team. We bounced some balls off the face and found the sweet spot was an inch towards the toe from the alignment line. I went and bought an Odyssey DualForce 660 the same day.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

3 hours ago, djmohab2 said:

These are garbage takes. So someone that has clubs that are too stiff can find a way to play through that? Your clubs need to reward you for good swings. And while you don't need a Scotty to be a good putter, I remember buying a Dunlop insert putter at Target when I worked there in high school because it went on clearance for $4.00. My golf coach noticed I was putting like trash with it even though I was the best putter on the team. We bounced some balls off the face and found the sweet spot was an inch towards the toe from the alignment line. I went and bought an Odyssey DualForce 660 the same day.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, bud. What I am saying is if you do not have a swing that is repeatable then I believe there are things more important than buying new clubs. That's it. I have seen folks go buy a new set a clubs when they are fatting, thinning, shanking, spraying all over the fairway. No two swings the same. I was going to buy new clubs and I had a club pro encourage me not to. He said get your swing consistent first. I agree with that. Then when you know where your bottom is then go get fit.

6 hours ago, mudmarlin said:

Do you get hit often?  Kind of odd since you said you just started.  I’ve been playing 40 years and have only seen two people get hit.  Either way it’s an accident.  Stealing their ball or hitting it back them is just stupid.  When every shot you hit goes right down the middle than maybe you can pop off.

I thought it was supposed to be unpopular opinions lol. Did I misinterpret the thread title?

So no I haven't been hit into much. A few times. I will share this one story though which is what prompted me to put that in there. 

3 of us were playing and we had 2 foursomes in front of us so pace was not horribly slow but not blazing either. There was another threesome behind us and they were being buttheads about having to wait at the tees. We explained a couple different times that it was backed up for several holes and tried to be cool.  While we were waiting on the foursome in front of us to hit there approach shots, We heard one of the guys behind us mumble I would already be hitting if I was there. I turned around and said well if you hit it further than 225-250 you would be hitting right at them. He responded and said well they should move it along. Mind you they had already hit into us once and we said accidents happen and laughed it off.  I just turned and went back to what I was doing. Well my buddy riding with me ended up literally about the same spot the guys in front were when that comment was made. He was lining up his shot and we here "Piiiinnng" and the ball comes flying up and hits the ground about 3 feet in front of the cart and bounces right by my friends head.  That is the type of group and I am talking about. That nearly ended really badly. 

For the record, I have never Returned to sender or stolen someone's ball but if that scenario plays out again, I can promise you it will be the first. I doubt I would really return it to sender, but they may never find that ball again lol. 

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

IMHO Wishon is quality stuff--- Tom Wishon goes way back in the Golf design world and I have always found his products to be great stuff

The shop owner said they were good quality and had good distance (the Drivers) but not very forgiving. At the time I was still all over the place with my driver but I have learned to hit it now and looking to upgrade potentially. Only if I find one I hit better than my own though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The shop owner said they were good quality and had good distance (the Drivers) but not very forgiving. At the time I was still all over the place with my driver but I have learned to hit it now and looking to upgrade potentially. Only if I find one I hit better than my own though.

IMHO that is exactly how one has to go about doing it. Hit what YOU hit best. IMHO again it pays to be brand agnostic. Look at my signature I am hitting a 4 year old sorta oddball driver but it is what I hit and control best. I am also hitting antique fairways with mixed shafts but I hit those better than any new offerings. I am not saying newer stuff is not good but what I have works well for me you may be the opposite.

11 hours ago, BIG STU said:

IMHO that is exactly how one has to go about doing it. Hit what YOU hit best. IMHO again it pays to be brand agnostic. Look at my signature I am hitting a 4 year old sorta oddball driver but it is what I hit and control best. I am also hitting antique fairways with mixed shafts but I hit those better than any new offerings. I am not saying newer stuff is not good but what I have works well for me you may be the opposite.

No that's kind of the exact point I was making in my OP that someone said was a "garbage take" lol. I play Calloway Razr X tour Irons 5-9 P, S, and A.  with KBS stiff shafts, I play X2hot Driver with an Aldilia stiff shaft (I don't know all the different shaft specs). X2hot 18 degree hybrid, A Nike VR Pro 3 wood (best club in my bag) an SM6 Vokey 60 and an Adams Tom Watson series 56*, and a Pinemeadow PGX Putter lol. All my clubs are over a decade old I think, but I have learned to hit them. Only thing I did was get rid of the SR flex graphite shafts in the irons. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, UnkleRaRa said:

I dunno.... I agree with #6, it's getting ridiculous. 

Agreed. Had my first round of the season this weekend.

"I have a tee time at 11:58" 

"Alright sir, for your tee time, small bucket of complimentary range balls, and cart is $87 CAD" 

"I'd like to walk please"

"Whether you walk or ride it's the same price"

My blood was boiling.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, LUXOR54 said:

Agreed. Had my first round of the season this weekend.

"I have a tee time at 11:58" 

"Alright sir, for your tee time, small bucket of complimentary range balls, and cart is $87 CAD" 

"I'd like to walk please"

"Whether you walk or ride it's the same price"

My blood was boiling.

There's a very basic, small, not very manicured, 18 hole paired with a trailer park near me. 

2 of us playing on a Tuesday afternoon at 4:30pm with a cart..... $120..... absolutely insane. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

No that's kind of the exact point I was making in my OP that someone said was a "garbage take" lol. I play Calloway Razr X tour Irons 5-9 P, S, and A.  with KBS stiff shafts, I play X2hot Driver with an Aldilia stiff shaft (I don't know all the different shaft specs). X2hot 18 degree hybrid, A Nike VR Pro 3 wood (best club in my bag) an SM6 Vokey 60 and an Adams Tom Watson series 56*, and a Pinemeadow PGX Putter lol. All my clubs are over a decade old I think, but I have learned to hit them. Only thing I did was get rid of the SR flex graphite shafts in the irons. 

Seems like to me you have found stuff that plays well for you. Nothing wrong at all with that IMHO. LOL and this is an unpopular opinion in the mainstream golf circles It does not have to be the latest or greatest or the most high dollar to work. It also pays to be brand agnostic

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Seems like to me you have found stuff that plays well for you. Nothing wrong at all with that IMHO. LOL and this is an unpopular opinion in the mainstream golf circles It does not have to be the latest or greatest or the most high dollar to work. It also pays to be brand agnostic

I went in to the shop today to get my a wedge regripped. I was talking with the owner about Wishon again. He said from testing himself and several customers that on average the Wishon Driver performs better in ball speed and distance than Taylormade, Calloway, Cobra. He said Mizuno and Titleist Drivers normally beat it.  

We were also discussing wedges and he was showing me the Wishon Wedges. Nice looking heads. He showed me a previous model that he said they aren't making anymore that was amazing. The milling on the face was better than anything I have seen. 

• Like 1