2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Any of you sign your kids up for PGA Jr League?

My 12 and 9 yo kids are doing it for their 4th and 3rd years, respectively. We have spring and fall seasons. They no longer want to play individual tournaments but love the camaraderie of Jr League. Our head pro loves working with kids and keeps it fun. We have some really good players and we’ve won our city championship every year but we’ve also taken on younger kids each year and they all have a great time. My son goofs off with his friends (and sometimes the other team) between shots. I’d definitely recommend Jr League, particularly if your kids are new to golf.

Edited by BFD3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BFD3 said:

My 12 and 9 yo kids are doing it for their 4th and 3rd years, respectively. We have spring and fall seasons. They no longer want to play individual tournaments but love the camaraderie of Jr League. Our head pro loves working with kids and keeps it fun. We have some really good players and we’ve won our city championship every year but we’ve also taken on younger kids each year and they all have a great time. My son goofs off with his friends (and sometimes the other team) between shots. I’d definitely recommend Jr League, particularly if your kids are new to golf.

Awesome! thanks for this post. 

• Like 1

I loved PGA jr league, wish my son could still play it.  He was mentored by the older kids initially and then took on the responsibility as he became a better golfer.  I would highly recommend it.  

We have to access to ranges and course but it is a great way to teach introductory, stress free, golf to juniors that are not looking to compete in a stroke play competition.

There is also the option of trying to join a super team, assuming you kids are good enough and making it to Nationals is priority.

2 hours ago, kcap said:

I loved PGA jr league, wish my son could still play it.  He was mentored by the older kids initially and then took on the responsibility as he became a better golfer.  I would highly recommend it.  

We have to access to ranges and course but it is a great way to teach introductory, stress free, golf to juniors that are not looking to compete in a stroke play competition.

There is also the option of trying to join a super team, assuming you kids are good enough and making it to Nationals is priority.

My kid has done it in the past.  I thought it was a lot of fun and was a good opportunity for older kids to act as leaders and help out the younger kids and gave the younger kids an opportunity to learn the game.  In general I think all the kids I saw play really had a good time.  Its cool when a bunch of kids from the area play for the local course. 

I don't like how golf coaches at courses recruit the best kids from all over some travelling as far as 100 miles in hopes to get into the finals and on tv (not sure if its still on tv.)  Some may disagree, but just not my cup of tea. 

My kid played in section where it was a mix of local kids.  She made the all star team at 7 years old.  The best part was at the all-star match when she had to tee it up against a teenager that was 6'2 and probably bombed it 280 -  She did hit a bomb as well but her ball only went about 120 yards - needless to say her team never won a hole. 

I say sign your kid up they will have fun

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Definitely sign up!

If your kids are beginners, they will learn faster with fellow kids especially more experienced ones than from parents or coaches. Also they will get to know more playing buddies down the road for futurr tournaments too,  they will love tournament as an opportunities to meet old buddies.

For more experienced juniors, you may choose a team not in your area, you will get a chance to compete at regional or even national, that's a cool experience.

My kid went to regional a few times and national at Grayhawk, PGA treated them like a king or real PGA pro, with buffet food/ice creams and game room, personal locker. A lifetime experience !

• 2 weeks later...

Skipped it this year and it's my son's last year of eligibility.  He's bummed but I wasn't happy with how our league was put together at the last minute, excluded a very important muni team (we are a group of private clubs) and how the coach called my son by my name.  Like, if you can't even get his name right and he's the best player on the team at least learn his name.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter did it the last two years.  I think its all about the individual course or coach.  Our course and coach was not that great.  He really offered no real instruction and the price didn't include range balls at practice.  In our area, there were 7 teams and 3 of them were really well run, one was at a private course with only kids that were from there, and 3 of them were poorly run.  That said, she did have a good time for the most part.  I don't know if it was the same everywhere, but the way they set up the matches wasn't very good.  They would have the older boys get matched up against the youngest girls.  The older boys would be driving the greens on every hole and the girls would struggle to get near the green after 3 or 4 shots.  It was pretty much a joke.  They didn't pair or match kids by ability at all, so these poor 10 year old girls would get crushed.  

• Like 1

I think this is the 5th year my son's played PGAJLG.  He loves the team format more than anything.  Less pressure on him, and he gets to tell the younger kids what to do.  It's a little expensive for sure, but our league does include free range balls as well coaching and additional practice days as needed.  The value for us is seeing my kid having fun out there with the others.

Would highly recommend it. For less than $300 my 9 yo gets to play (mostly) TPC Summerlin every week, plus practice before and after round if he wishes. We're not members, to be clear. 

The kids seem to really enjoy it and its a great team experience for them in the scramble format. 

Not to mention making them walk the holes is good to tire them out! 

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to play in it for a few years before I was too old, I believe when it was starting up almost 10 years ago. It’s maybe some of the most fun I’ve had playing golf. Most of our team practiced on our own, so we didn’t have many practice sessions but played lots of matches. Had a pretty decent team that made the playoff stuff, but never a super team. I made some friends with guys from other clubs that I would see at tournaments later, so that was always fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Found a team for my son to play on.  Hardest part at this point is scheduling all the matches before the July deadline.  There are so many other tournaments going on during June and July that each kid can't make every scheduled match.  We could of had a really good team, but a few kids had to drop out.  Hopefully next year things will run a lot smoother.  

• 2 months later...
On 6/16/2021 at 12:49 PM, kekoa said:

Found a team for my son to play on.  Hardest part at this point is scheduling all the matches before the July deadline.  There are so many other tournaments going on during June and July that each kid can't make every scheduled match.  We could of had a really good team, but a few kids had to drop out.  Hopefully next year things will run a lot smoother.  

How did the season go?  

My kid played in it for several seasons, and our team made it to the state level playoff one season.  He enjoyed the team golf and scramble aspects.  He didn't enjoy playing in groups of 3 where you had to sit out 3 holes.  At that point he was already playing 18 hole tournaments on his own and wanted to play all 9 every time.  We don't have a 17u option that I'm aware of in our area, so his last year of eligibility was last year when there was no season due to Covid.  I don't know if he'd do 17u if they had one now that he's playing high school golf on top of non-school tournaments.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, leezer99 said:

How did the season go?  

Got booted at La Costa.  Head to head we had the way stronger team, but ended losing by 1 to move on.  There other team had a few 11-13 yr old girls that were good and able to tee off from the front tees.  This really evened out the playing field for them.   Already looking forward to next year. 

2 hours ago, kekoa said:

Got booted at La Costa.  Head to head we had the way stronger team, but ended losing by 1 to move on.  There other team had a few 11-13 yr old girls that were good and able to tee off from the front tees.  This really evened out the playing field for them.   Already looking forward to next year. 

No girls on your team?  Seems like a good strategy for next year.

My daughter made her league’s all star team and they advanced to the section championship round. Our kids played well in the stroke play first round (-26 in best three of four 2-man scrambles over 18 holes) and we made the semi-finals. We thought we had a chance, but played against a juggernaut.  They shot a combined -34 in four 9-hole matches! I wouldn’t be surprised if they won the National championship. 

Edited by BFD3