Is anyone playing a TM Original One Mini Driver?

Stoox

• 3 weeks later...

I own the 11.5* and had it paired with a VA Slay 55 four.  Had a gapping session recently and I hit it 245-250 carry with total being around 260-265.  Had one hit 283 total.  Spin dead smack at 2500-2700.  I tend to have a neg AOA.  Around 2-3.  With mini it was average 2.8 down.  This has been my issue with the big stick which is why I can't hit it so good and my results are same as mini.  But mini I am fairway or just in rough.  Normal driver I am in deep rough, trees, or even worse OB.  

My home course is short and so it doesn't hinder me when I play.  Have a F9 but until I can swing it was a positive AOA it stays sidelined.  For me the mini is something that instills confidence and keeps me in play.

Unfortunately my shaft snapped today during my round so need to replace it.  Thinking of trying a Ventus 6S black and trying for low penetrating bullets.  Being a high spin player this might get me some extra yards total by lowering my spin just a tad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I game it. I am a 5 index that swings at 102. I hit my Callaway Epic driver about 260 when solid and my Epic 3 wood about 235. The Mini goes about 250 and much more consistent. I know I need all the distance I can get but am not giving up much. It’s so much more confidence inspiring for me. I’m a sweeper , right to left medium trajectory type player. The stock stiff is just fine it’s 43.75”. A perfect club. You can hit it off the ground if you are swinging well and the lie is good. It looks a little intimidating off the ground for me most of the time. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Mini Driver 11.5

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Sub 70 5 wood

Titleist U510 22*

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-PW

Mizuno S18 Wedges

Ping Kinloch C Putter

• 1 month later...

I owned both the 11.5 and 13.5 and tinkered with them last year, often bagging one or the other. For me, this was a strong 3-wood, giving me another option of the tee, not a fairway club. It's surprisingly playable off the fairway for its size, but still not ideal. But how many times do you need to bomb one from the fairway? For me, 3w is mostly a 1B tee club, so I liked having the extra pop and bigger head.

The Original One, for me, was a very low spin head. That worked with my swing but might not be for everyone. Results were very close to my standard driver, in part because the lower spin gave me more roll than driver, despite the loft differences. 

The club looks and sounds great. Very muted thwack. Nice matte finish (I had glossy heads). The stock shaft was utterly useless, however, so you should anticipate having to swap it out for something else. It's extremely light and whippy. I put in a Hzrdus Yellow and it did pretty well. 

I ultimately abandoned the mini clubs because I was hitting driver well and I was crushing my Titleist TS3 13.5 fairway. But in retrospect, I wish I had kept the 13.5 mini -- that extra size is a lot more confidence-inspiring off the tee than the standard fairway wood. 

If you are OK sacrificing 10-15 yards in order to hit more fairways, the mini is a great driver replacement (or something to swap in on short or tight courses). And if you like your driver but want another option off the tee that gives you more size and pop than a standard 3 wood, the mini makes a great 1B tee club. But if you count on using 3w a lot off the fairway, it's probably not the best option.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

20 minutes ago, uglande said:

If you are OK sacrificing 10-15 yards in order to hit more fairways, the mini is a great driver replacement (or something to swap in on short or tight courses).

I'm repeating myself, but why not...

Not everyone who uses one of these will be sacrificing yards by using the shorter/smaller club.  My max swingspeed occurs at something 43.5" or less, and shaft weight doesn't appear to be a consideration (43.25 and steel faster than 44.125 and 90g shaft).  I rather doubt I'm alone in the universe.

Disclaimer:  yes, I realize there could be a reduction in average distance due to the relative lack of forgiveness between a 275cc clubhead and a 430-460cc clubhead.  😉

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

>>Not everyone who uses one of these will be sacrificing yards by using the shorter/smaller club. <<

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I suspect that could be the case with me. I didn't end up bringing a TMOO in to start this season - stuck with a Cally Rogue 10.5 set to 11.5 deg, at 45.75". But I'm finding I hit my 43.5" 15 deg 3-wood almost as long as the driver when I button it.

The TMOO intrigues me because the the head is built heavy enough to accommodate a shorter shaft, while still getting a reasonable swing weight. A 43.75" club with less loft than a 3-wood may give me exactly what I'm looking for.

PS - noticed Wilson Duo Professional in your profile. Great ball, especially now that they are blowing them out at 1/2 price.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 10.5 /Ping Pro 65 
Callaway Rogue 5w/PX Even Flow 75
Cleveland Halo 3H/PX (original 2006)
Ping i210 4-PW/AWT2.0 
Ping Glide 2.0 54, 58
Odyssey #7s OG W
Callaway ERC Soft

Projekt stand bag

1 hour ago, Stoox said:

noticed Wilson Duo Professional in your profile. Great ball, especially now that they are blowing them out at 1/2 price.

Where'd you see them at half price?  Color me intrigued...

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 hours ago, wcbjr said:

Depends.

Bigger head off the deck is more difficult.  Closing the clubface with a bigger head is more difficult.

That is what I think. The big heads just are harder to close the clubface because the mass extends so far from the shaft. That is why many people are more accurate with the mini-driver. I'm waiting for them to design a center-shafted driver, so it is easier to square up the clubface. Sort of joking, but not really. 😂

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stoox said:

@NRJyzr: up here in Canuckistan at Golftown. $29.99/doz.

Maybe it's a Canuckistani thing.  I did a search last night, everything here is standard price yet.

Oh well, had the idea that I could stock up inexpensively, LOL.  It could be a sign of pending new model release for next year.  Get a dozen or two and play wait-and-see.  <shrug>

Thanks Brother Stoox.  🙂

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2021 at 1:02 AM, calfan36 said:

Doesn't really make sense to me. Wouldn't a 460 cc driver head if played at this higher loft and shorter length be more accurate? Bigger head = higher MOI no?

For some.  Its all about what your comfortable and confident looking at down by the ball.  I went from an r11, to an M2, to a Ping G410, to a Tsi4 driver, and could not get along with any of them until the Tsi4.  Longer than any of them for me, doesn't spin off of the planet, and is easy to keep in the fairway.  Thing is point and shoot for me.  Can't hit big chunky irons for s***, same goes with a big, clunky 460 driver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 2:50 AM, Clubhoe said:

Tried the new mini 300. Hated it. Gone back to my Original One. Now I'm after a backup 13.5° if anyone in Australia has one in stiff hit me up. Thanks.

Curious about your experience with the 300 -- what didn't you like and in what ways was O.O. better?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, uglande said:

Curious about your experience with the 300 -- what didn't you like and in what ways was O.O. better?

I posted a little review in the pre release equipment page. But in short these were my feelings about both.

OO was better feeling and solid off the face. 300 didn't have that solid feel. OO looked better overall with the consistent black to grey face, over the 300's black to silver face.

There was no noticeable distance difference in either club.

The 300's bigger head made it harder to hit off the deck than the OO.

The shaft on the 300 was whippy.

The 300 slightly bigger head and less decal on the back looked better than the OO size. The 300 forgiveness was a little better off the tee.

Overall the OO was better imo.

I think if we didn't have the OO as the predecessor, I'd think the 300 was a good club.

Note. I tried both the OO stock shaft and 300 shaft in both heads.

Edited by Clubhoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been experimenting recently, playing my King LTD (w/ProtoPype 80), which is set at 43.25".  Have been hitting it reasonably well, but still seeing an unseemly amount of squirrelly shots.  Yesterday, put the OO back in the bag (RIP Alpha 80).

Had a pretty good tee game round.  Distance about the same as I've been seeing.  Didn't see any of those squirrelly shots, but insert the usual sample size caveats here.

It's definitely going to stick around. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Clubhoe said:

I posted a little review in the pre release equipment page. But in short these were my feelings about both.

OO was better feeling and solid off the face. 300 didn't have that solid feel. OO looked better overall with the consistent black to grey face, over the 300's black to silver face.

There was no noticeable distance difference in either club.

The 300's bigger head made it harder to hit off the deck than the OO.

The shaft on the 300 was whippy.

The 300 slightly bigger head and less decal on the back looked better than the OO size. The 300 forgiveness was a little better off the tee.

Overall the OO was better imo.

I think if we didn't have the OO as the predecessor, I'd think the 300 was a good club.

Note. I tried both the OO stock shaft and 300 shaft in both heads.

Thanks for this. I was surprised they went larger with the 300. Almost could have made a 300cc at 11.5 and a 270cc at 13.5. But I'm looking for an extra tee club (a strong three wood) rather than a fairway club so the larger size is actually a plus for me. I did love the muted sound of the O.O. but I hated the stock shaft and replaced it right away. I suspect I'll do the same with the 300. 

• Thanks 1

I have both OO 11.5 and 13.5.   On a lauuch monitor (I have SwingCaddie which works fine, very accurate, even compared with a trackman, but this is another topic),  The 13.5 GETS  better distance because it flies a little higher.  Both Drivers produce a lower flight than  you would expect.  If your swing speed is in the 85-90 MPH with a Driver,  you will not get the maximum distance with the 11.5 deg. These drivers are very low spin and if you  mishit them, the ball falls like a knuckle ball. The center of gravity is forward and it is a low spinning Driver.  Stay with the 13.5 if your drive is around 210-220, roll included.   As a side note, if you hit them on the toe or on the heel,  you will find that the OO is not as forgiving as a regular Driver.   However, since the shaft is 43.75 '', it is much easier to find the center of the clubface more often, and therefore, you get more distance.     When i compared my best hit with a Titleist TSI1  and TSI2 Drivers, I came up with:    TSI1   carry 204 Y     total    227 yards (same with TSI2 but lower filght)

OO     Carry 198 Y    Total   220 Yards

So, yes a normal Driver has better distance, but overall,  You get a better dispersion with the OO and I eliminated the wild ''high right'' miss.  I will keep the 13.5 as it is possible to use it as a 2 wood off the fairway.  Really good against the wind.  Since it is low spiniing, it rolls forever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stratojet said:

I have both OO 11.5 and 13.5.   On a lauuch monitor (I have SwingCaddie which works fine, very accurate, even compared with a trackman, but this is another topic),  The 13.5 GETS  better distance because it flies a little higher.  Both Drivers produce a lower flight than  you would expect.  If your swing speed is in the 85-90 MPH with a Driver,  you will not get the maximum distance with the 11.5 deg. These drivers are very low spin and if you  mishit them, the ball falls like a knuckle ball. The center of gravity is forward and it is a low spinning Driver.  Stay with the 13.5 if your drive is around 210-220, roll included.   As a side note, if you hit them on the toe or on the heel,  you will find that the OO is not as forgiving as a regular Driver.   However, since the shaft is 43.75 '', it is much easier to find the center of the clubface more often, and therefore, you get more distance.     When i compared my best hit with a Titleist TSI1  and TSI2 Drivers, I came up with:    TSI1   carry 204 Y     total    227 yards (same with TSI2 but lower filght)

OO     Carry 198 Y    Total   220 Yards

So, yes a normal Driver has better distance, but overall,  You get a better dispersion with the OO and I eliminated the wild ''high right'' miss.  I will keep the 13.5 as it is possible to use it as a 2 wood off the fairway.  Really good against the wind.  Since it is low spiniing, it rolls forever.

Yes, i had both 11.5 and 13.5 Original Ones. And the 13.5 was longer for me aswell.

I think most people bought the 11.5°, but most of those golfers would have been better off with the 13.5°. 

Hitting an 11.5° 2 wood takes a faster swing speed and skill. Much like hitting a low lofted 3 wood takes. Because of the smaller headsize.

For most golfers they would have longer distance and more forgiveness with the 13.5°

Edited by Clubhoe
  • Thanks 1

I had the 11.5 as a primary driver for awhile.  Then decided to sell it (worst decision I've ever made) because I was hitting my Ping g410 plus just as straight, but further.  The thing was a rocket and went so straight.  I put a 44" shaft in it and it went consistently 280-290 yards.  But I wanted more distance (I'm greedy).

I recently bought a 13.5 head and plan to play it like a 2w.  I calculated stats on how much I actually use 3w off the deck and the percentage was so low.  And since my struggles are mainly off the tee, I figured why not give myself options off the tee to get myself in play.

Long story short, I think if you're struggling off the tee like myself, then the OO is a great secondary option.  And you won't be sacrificing too much off the tee.

• Thanks 1

Current WITB

Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus TR Black Patriot 6X (45")

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti Tour Issue (15.4 @ 14.7) - Shaft: GD Tour AD XC-8 (43")

2 Utility: Srixon ZX Utility MKII (18 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX (40")

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-PW) - Shaft: Nippon Modus3 120TX

Wedges: Miura Forged Wedges (50, 56), Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 (60) - Shafts: Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 (35 inches/69 degrees)

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Midsize 

Putter Grip: Press II 1.5

Still regret selling my 11.5 with the hulk shaft 

• Thanks 1

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

On 7/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, Stoox said:

Christ I hope that price last until next Monday or Tuesday when I can get to the Dartmouth Golftown.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 4/12/2021 at 5:04 PM, PixlPutterman said:

I have though about finding a super heavy graphite as well, but I dont need some crazy stout XX, Would seem to me that the NV line might be the only heavy option I can get in stiff? was going to mildly tip it....

I think ventus red 8 or 9x would be about perfect. It’s not an overly stiff profile , and plenty stable enough to play untipped if so desired.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 11:02 PM, calfan36 said:

Doesn't really make sense to me. Wouldn't a 460 cc driver head if played at this higher loft and shorter length be more accurate? Bigger head = higher MOI no?

This is why I’ve set one up as a 3W replacement for some courses, 100cc bigger head at same loft and length.

Edited by Seattlegolfnut
  • Thanks 1

So i know the 300 is all the craze being newly released, but I jumped on the mini bandwagon with an OO first.

head: 13.5* turned to 15*

Shaft: Tensei AV White 75 S

length: 42.75”

weight: 336g

SW: D0.6

…all within 1 gram and 0.2 SW of my gamer 3W, @ same shaft and length.

I use a 3W as primary tee club on the many short and dense, tight, tree-lined courses in the Seattle area. On my home course, I use my 9* driver on 1 maybe 2 holes max depending on the day. A 240-260 tee shot is usually perfect distance to set up approach. I never hit a 3W off a deck unless I top a tee shot and stupidly try a hero shot to recover. Rarely works out. So my 3W is just a really tiny-head driver. And I’m excited to try a bigger headed 1B club.

First impressions: way more confident at set up with a bigger head. The closed face and extra loft on the bigger head gave me a little visual mixed message at first, but I just needed to get used to it.

Shot results: good dispersion, about equal with the 3W. Distance wise, a little longer. OO miss appears to be a long hook which is odd to me.

If I could have this club turned up to 16 or 17 degrees with a square face and flatter lie that might be the sweet spot.

Putting it in play this weekend.

Edited by Seattlegolfnut
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, Stoox said:

thankfully they were.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Played in a little home and away tourney this weekend.

home course: 5900 yards, tight tree lined. Used the OO on all holes except par 3s and one driver. Didn’t miss the 3W at all. Verdict: This club has a place in the bag when I’m here.

away course: 6700 yards, links-ish with a few trees here and there. Used driver primarily on tee boxes. A few lay up par 4s where an iron is smart play. Really only needed to use the OO once off the tee in lieu of a driver, and I used it a second time just to give it a go again. I did miss having my 3W for a low running punch out but had no need for a long fairway shot. Verdict: would rather have the versatility of the 3W here.

The OO has a notable draw shape where my 3W is more a cut. One thing different between these is lie angle and face angle, the OO being much more upright and a closed face angle at 15*. I attempted to line it up square but the toe was distinctly higher in the air than I’m used to. Both of these factors contribute to the draw tendency and it’s something I’ll have to get used to. Wish I could flatten the lie a bunch — if anyone has any tips for doing that on a TaylorMade club, I’m all ears!

So bottom line, I think I’ll keep the OO for those courses where I would hit more 3W than driver tee shots. And put the 3W in the bag when I would hit more driver tee shots and want a little more versatility of the next club down.

Adding a small update...

I've mentioned a nauseating number of times that I prefer heavier shafts; my main shaft in the OO is an RIP Alpha 80, which checks in with a raw weight of 88g or 89g.  

Well....

I have a Motore Speeder 6.3 that came with the SLDR White I picked up a few years ago.  I've decided to cut it down so it's playing 43.5" in the OO, and I'll be taking it on the course this Thursday in the 9 hole golf league that I sub in.

I guess we'll see.  <shrug>   🤔