Is anyone playing a TM Original One Mini Driver?

Stoox

Does anyone have a TM Original One Mini Driver (2019 version) in the bag as either their main tee club or as a 2 wood for tight holes?

Any comments around:

-Why you're playing it?

-Stock Diamana shaft?

-Distance vs. your older/current driver?

-Distance vs. your 3-4-5-wood?

Thinking about bringing one in...

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 10.5 /Ping Pro 65 
Callaway Rogue 5w/PX Even Flow 75
Cleveland Halo 3H/PX (original 2006)
Ping i210 4-PW/AWT2.0 
Ping Glide 2.0 54, 58
Odyssey #7s OG W
Callaway ERC Soft

Projekt stand bag

Hey Stoox,

I have it in my bag as a main tee club.

1. Why am I playing it?

Several reasons. First, I was itching to replace my R1 from 2013. Second, I had a tendency of being a bit out of control to the right with my driver, especially ballooning shots to the right. Third, my home course isn't the longest (6400 from the tips.)

2. Shaft?

Tried a few others, but liked the feel of the stock one the most. 

3. Distance?

Probably 15-20 yards shorter than my best drives, but more straight more often. About 10-20 yards longer than my 3W, but I don't use my fairway often. I find this is actually not bad off a good fairway lie..

• Thanks 1

I have an SLDR Mini Driver at 14* and love it. I also had an Original One and hated it. Totally different clubs, somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

14 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I have an SLDR Mini Driver at 14* and love it. I also had an Original One and hated it. Totally different clubs, somehow. 

I was the same way and would even put the Aeroburner mini or what ever it was above the OO.  12* Mini with the TP Speeder was a solid stick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Revolving Door

1 hour ago, Stoox said:

Does anyone have a TM Original One Mini Driver (2019 version) in the bag as either their main tee club or as a 2 wood for tight holes?

Any comments around:

-Why you're playing it?

-Stock Diamana shaft?

Thinking about bringing one in...

I picked one up last fall, 11.5*that I tune down.  Was playing it exclusively as my driver until earlier this year, when I had a round with 25 mph winds and wanted something lower lofted to fight those winds; that club (R11s) has been sticking around since.  Will eventually pull the OO back into the bag, once the R11s starts misbehaving. 

Picked this up because I'm something less than excited about jumbo clubheads.  Also mildly intrigued by the twist face.  And, I prefer playing my driver at 43.5" or a little less, something much easier to accomplish with the Original One.

Shaft I have been using is the RIP Alpha 80, which id picked up for another driver.  I also tried a BiMatrix Proto 80 in it to start this year, that I'd used in a Stage2 Tour 3w.  Have an NV105 that may get an adapter specifically to be used with the OO.

Unrelated....  is this the same Stoox that used to be on GEA?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

>>>Unrelated....  is this the same Stoox that used to be on GEA?<<<<

@NRJyzr: Yes sir. And a hearty lutefisk greeting from Toronto!  Long time no see, and hope you're keeping well. Great to see you still have all of those Ram blades around.

Yup - thinking of bringing one of these Bad Larrys in because the driver has been misbehaving for a year, and I'd like to try something with a shorter shaft length and maybe a smidge more loft, but that still swing weights in the Ds. Counterbalanced stuff that's C8/C9 is not for me...

This seems to be a niche club. For those that it works for, it really works for, but it doesn't work for most people....

Edited by Stoox
Typo
  • Like 2

Ping i210 4-PW/AWT2.0 
Ping Glide 2.0 54, 58
Odyssey #7s OG W
Callaway ERC Soft

Projekt stand bag

18 minutes ago, Stoox said:

@NRJyzr: Yes sir. And a hearty lutefisk greeting from Toronto!  Long time no see, and hope you're keeping well. Great to see you still have all of those Ram blades still around.

Yup - thinking of bringing one of these Bad Larry's in because the driver has been misbehaving for a year, and I'd like to try something with a shorter shaft length and maybe a smidge more loft, but that still swing weights in the Ds. Counterbalanced stuff that's C8/C9 is not for me...

This seems to be a niche club. For those that it woks for, it really works for, but it doesn't work for most people....

I think this is the key..

Anecdotally, I have a few guys who love it, for reasons similar to mine, and a few who hated it when they tried it, for reasons similar to those mentioned above. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stoox said:

@NRJyzr: Yes sir. And a hearty lutefisk greeting from Toronto!  Long time no see, and hope you're keeping well. Great to see you still have all of those Ram blades still around.

Yup - thinking of bringing one of these Bad Larry's in because the driver has been misbehaving for a year, and I'd like to try something with a shorter shaft length and maybe a smidge more loft, but that still swing weights in the Ds. Counterbalanced stuff that's C8/C9 is not for me...

This seems to be a niche club. For those that it works for, it really works for, but it doesn't work for most people....

There's always lead tape.  Some of my clubs have enough that they're protected from all interstellar radiation.  😁

The R11s gets used because I can swap in heavier weights to bring the swingweight up.  I have a 20g in one port, the other is 12g or 14g, and the club is 43.25".

The Cobra dual weight heads would be pretty good for this, also.

Good to see you, Stoox.   Hearty Canuckistani greetings from the frozen tundra.  😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I play the SLDR mini still, and its my longest tenured club in the bag and will die an honorable death, in that slot.  I have hit the OO and its a great looker, unsure how it compares but I wont replace the SLDR until I have to. 

Obligatory shaft pairing remark, but once you do it has been a game changer for me.  I use off the tee, off the fw, in the rough, out of fairway bunkers, in the shower, and have putted from the fringe with it.  Its about 270 off the tee, from the fairway can get close to the same.  I used to have issues with my driver and steeper swing, and the mini really helped me get consistent off the tee as opposed to the big numbers, and then it brings 5s into play in 2.  Ive since learned how to hit a driver much much better, and now I have options off the tee, or on those really must have moments, pull the mini and strip one.  Its a totally niche club, that can be a tragic fit for some....but if you can utilize it as your 3w, its a dope club.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I had an OG original one all last year. It was a great club. I just decided to move something around in my bag, and it was a little one dimensional. I could and did hit it from the fairway but I just wanted more options. 

• Thanks 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I had both the SLDR Mini and currently have an OO Mini.

Didnt care for the SLDR mini but that was probably since it wasnt adjustable I couldn't slam it down to 9* loft lol.

I play my OO at 42.75 with an X100 and just straight up murder it. Its not as long as my Sim (would seem for obvious reasons) but if you tell me I have to carry a call 280+ and have to hit a fairway like my life depends on it, TM OO Mini....

All

Day

Long

Oh yeah and I can hit it off the deck pretty well too

Edited by PixlPutterman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Have an NV105 that may get an adapter specifically to be used with the OO.

I have though about finding a super heavy graphite as well, but I dont need some crazy stout XX, Would seem to me that the NV line might be the only heavy option I can get in stiff? was going to mildly tip it....

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

1 hour ago, PixlPutterman said:

I have though about finding a super heavy graphite as well, but I dont need some crazy stout XX, Would seem to me that the NV line might be the only heavy option I can get in stiff? was going to mildly tip it....

I've seen some NV95s here and there, usually pullouts, usually S flex.  It's funny that the Xstiffs are not so plentiful. 

Then again, the X users probably hoarded them and have no reason to sell.  LOL

The hard part about searching for NV105, NV95, and even NV85 is that hybrid shafts are the primary search hit.

Funny, I made a late night purchase this weekend for one, 11.5 degree with the stock S shaft. Very much looking forward to giving it a go

• Thanks 1

D - Ping G425 Max - Alta CB Slate 55s

3w - Callaway Rogue, Fujikura Atmos TS Red 6s

2h - Ping g425, Fujikura Atmos TS Red 7s

3h - Ping g400 Crossover - Alta CB S

4-AW - Taylormade P790 (2019) - Nippon NS Pro 950s

54* - Vokey F-Grind

68* - Bokey M-Grind

Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee 5

(top of bag rotates)

4 hours ago, Stoox said:

Let me know what your first impressions of the OO are, if you can (I have a Rogue as well for comparison).

Will do! Should be here on Monday.

• Thanks 1

54* - Vokey F-Grind

68* - Bokey M-Grind

(top of bag rotates)

I have been a big fan of the Mini Drivers over the years. Owned the Mini SLDR, the Bertha mini, and the Rapture. The Original One is the best of them all. I play a 6300 yd course ordinarily, that for me, has more holes that require less-than-driver off the tee, so this is just another option off the tee. I use it almost solely off the tee but have tried an occasional shot off the turf when the conditions and situation were right. 

Shaft is 70gram stiff hulk. I play a 60gram driver shaft and a high 70gram high-lofted 3wood in addition to the mini.  Stock shot I can usually get up to high 130s ball speed (my driver is a touch under 150). Total distance is typically 230-250 (compared to driver which will be usually 260-280) I also have perfected this little knockdown with it that I call the mini-stinger if I need to put it in the fairway or keep under the wind and run. For me, I get separation between driver and mini, which is what others often cite as a reason not to play it. And there have been some times when driver goes sideways, which is when I would go to the mini. 

I only play 3 wedges, so it makes sense for me to have that additional tee club. If I'm playing a long course, which for me is like 6700+, I'll take it out and put something else in. 

I highly recommend it if it fits your bag. It's also super easy to tinker with TM tipped 3w shafts. I played a couple before I landed on the Hulk. 

Joel

• Thanks 1
Ping G430LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15*  - Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Callaway Apex UW 17* - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x
Titleist Tsi3 20* - Graphite Design AD-DI hy 95stiff
Titleist T150 5i & 6i- Steelfiber 115fc f4
Ping Blueprint 7i-PW - Steelfiber 115fc f4
Titleist Vokey SM7 50* - Steelfiber 115fc f4 
Titleist Vokey SM8 54* - Accra Spt Wedge 125g
Titleist Vokey SM4 58* - Steelfiber 125stiff 
Scotty Cameron Newport Button Back - BGT Stability
Srixon Z-Star Yellow (2019)

I recently threw my TM Original One 13.5 degree back in the bag. More of an experiment at my home course. There are a few holes where my confidence was starting to decrease when hitting driver. The mini driver proved to be successful in boosting my confidence on these particular holes so will remain in the bag for the time being.

Also I forgot what a great feeling/sounding club it is. And this thing really gets out there too. Maybe 15 yard less compared to my regular driver. TM did a really great job with this club. I would argue that there's a lot of recreational golfers who should give this a try.

Edited by JohnKHawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

18 minutes ago, JohnKHawk said:

And this thing really gets out there too. Maybe 15 yard less compared to my regular driver. 

I was wondering about distance loss when I posted. If you're within 15 yards of your driver and using the 13.5 version, then the 11.5 version with a good shaft should have little distance loss on average vs. the driver. Food for thought.

• Like 1

Ping i210 4-PW/AWT2.0 
Ping Glide 2.0 54, 58
Odyssey #7s OG W
Callaway ERC Soft

Projekt stand bag

I have a minimalist set up I put together mainly of early 2000's gear. Bought this to replace my superquad tp and it goes the same distance. I can hit it off the deck so that was really the deciding factor. Fun club and very easy to hit. Tee height was interesting at first. haha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TM Qi10 LS 9.0 Tour AD BB-7x 
TM Qi10 Tour 14.0 Graphite Design Tour AD BB-8x 
Titleist TSR2 18.0 HZRDUS Black 6.0
Mizuno 245 4-PW KB Tour C Taper 120 S
National Custom Works 48 Green KBS Tour High Rev 
National Custom Works 54 Green KBS Tour High Rev

National Custom Works 60 Green KBS Tour High Rev
Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport 2 sole stamp 

I've got an 11.5* with stock shaft in my bag, and love it. Best drives are about 10-15 yards shorter than the best drives with my GBB Epic Subzero. If I'm feeling like my swing is fairly grooved or I'm playing a longer course, I'll put the Epic in the bag. Sometimes it will stay in for a few weeks, but the OO goes back in as soon as I start getting a little wild with the Epic.

FWIW, this is a long-running story with me. I've had more trial separations from my drivers over the years than Bill Clinton has side pieces. I've gone through multiple iterations of the mini driver (SLDR mini, BB Mini 1.5, Aero Burner mini), and this is the best performing I've had so far (though the BB Mini 1.5 was probably the best of the bunch off the deck).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The OO has made golf fun for me again. I don't hit as far as a well hit driver but I'd rather be 230 - 240 in the fairway than 250 in jail and pitching out sideways or backwards or 150 from the tee doing the same.

I feel way more confident looking down at the mini than I do a 460 cc driver for some reason. I also really like the sound it makes - its a solid thwack.

I have two now, one is 11.5 and the other is 13.5. They will be in the bag for a very long time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hoselrocker said:

I have two now, one is 11.5 and the other is 13.5. 

Do you see a significant difference/delta in overall distance between them?

Ping i210 4-PW/AWT2.0 
Ping Glide 2.0 54, 58
Odyssey #7s OG W
Callaway ERC Soft

Projekt stand bag

1 hour ago, Stoox said:

Do you see a significant difference/delta in overall distance between them?

For me I believe I get more out of the 11.5 and it's my go to but I plan to hit the 13.5 more this year as I picked it up late last season. My thought for this year crazy as it sounds is to put both in the bag and mainly use the 11.5 off the tee and use the 13.5 occasionaly off the tee as well but also hit the 13.5 off the deck as a 3 wood. It might look goofy as a 3 wood but everything about the OO gives me confidence even off the deck. Love it!

• Thanks 1

I’m currently toying adding this in my bag but contemplating this vs a strong 3W like the Epic Speed Max. What are the benefits of the OO vs a 3+?

• Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

I play one but it isn't guaranteed a spot in the bag. 

-Why you're playing it?

Like a bigger headed fairway or a shorter/smaller headed driver. 

-Stock Diamana shaft?

Seems fine. Nothing super exciting about it. Usually play Project X.

It's about 10-20 yards less. When I hit it good and the fairways are dry it rolls out about 10 yards more than the driver and usually is just a few yards behind.

I have a 13 degree 3 wood and it is about the same distance as that. So they usually swap places. I just look for a club that is more accurate off the tee. I play a shorter course and usually only hit about 8 drivers in total. So a 2 wood is very intriguing.

It is harder to hit off the deck and I usually can catch my driver off the deck. It might be the shaft but the flight is very low even off the tee. Like it, don't love it, but hey my xHot has been in and out of the bag over the last 8 years so I don't love that either. I should probably just keep that in there.

• Thanks 1

TM M4 8.5 Atmos Red

TM Original One Mini 13.5 Diamana F

TM Sim TI 5 wood Diamana F

Sub 70 TAIII 4&5 KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 649 6-P KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 286 50,54 KBS $-Taper Lite

Edel D-Grind 58 KBS Tour Rev 2.0

LAB Directed Force 2.1 73* 

16 hours ago, Jmccas said:

I’m currently toying adding this in my bag but contemplating this vs a strong 3W like the Epic Speed Max. What are the benefits of the OO vs a 3+?

I think if you can hit a strong three wood both off the tee and off the deck, then the strong three would be about the same. Some people don't like using such a low-profile head off the tee. I know when I used a strong three back in the day I put some skymarks on it from teeing it too high or coming in too steep. 

The Mini Drivers have deeper faces and head shapes that allow more perimeter weighting. They look more like a driver at setup. Can add to confidence for many players. 

I can hit my Mini Driver from fluffy rough but probably wouldn't try it off the fairway. 

Like others have said, the Mini Driver is often riding in the trunk of the car and not in the bag. I will add it if I'm not swinging that great and want a driver alternative, or if the course I'm playing offers no use for my traditional fairway wood (Callaway Rogue 4 wood). 

• Thanks 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 4/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, BlackOut2 said:

Will do! Should be here on Monday.

@Stoox Mine came in Monday and had my first range session with it this afternoon. From my first hit I knew it was going in the bag. Played around with the loft sleeve for about 45 minutes and settled on putting my 11.5 in the upright setting, down 1 click of loft, so 10.75*. Any lower loft was too open for my liking. To the eye it seemed to be going nearly as far as my driver with significantly better dispersion. I have a trackman session scheduled for tomorrow (indoors, unfortunately), so I am looking forward to seeing the difference with data.

• Thanks 1

54* - Vokey F-Grind

68* - Bokey M-Grind

(top of bag rotates)