2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2nd Swing Fitting, Tour Van Fitting OR Club Champion?

On 5/9/2021 at 8:31 AM, jhford00 said:

I have been to CC and wasn't pleased with the end result. For one I learned that an indoor fitting is not what I personally liked. I need to see the ball fly through the air. Thats a personal preference. Secondly I found out that the metal attachment CC uses to swap all the shafts in/out of the heads is heavier than the regular adapter that comes with whichever head you choose. That throws off the stiffness of the shaft. There is a good thread on here about it. I ended up getting refit bc I had a big two way miss going. driver was too heavy and not stiff enough so they tipped it and made it even worse bc the launch was too low and too light. Me personally would never recommend CC

Thanks for sharing your experience, and I'm sorry it wasn't a good one! Curious...have you been somewhere else for a fitting since? If so, how was their service better/worse?

On 5/7/2021 at 3:22 PM, buckrogers71 said:

The van is through 2nd swing. Just has a couple more bells and whistles than the regular fitting.

Thanks for all the replies! Keep em coming! 

I am curious how you found the Tour Van experience. Is there anything you would have liked to have added to the fitting? Anything you wouldn't have wanted to waste time looking at?

On 8/12/2021 at 10:50 PM, AndrewPlunkettPGA said:

Thanks for sharing your experience, and I'm sorry it wasn't a good one! Curious...have you been somewhere else for a fitting since? If so, how was their service better/worse?

I went to The Tour Van in Nashville and was fit by a gentleman named Jason Werner. He used to work at The Kingdom down at Reynolds Plantation, spent some time out in Cali at The Kingdom there as well. Great guy, knows his stuff and was very attentive to my needs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jhford00 said:

I went to The Tour Van in Nashville and was fit by a gentleman named Jason Werner. He used to work at The Kingdom down at Reynolds Plantation, spent some time out in Cali at The Kingdom there as well. Great guy, knows his stuff and was very attentive to my needs. 

Thanks for the info!!

• 2 months later...
38 minutes ago, Cmoney710 said:

I am a 6 index and hit my drives around 275-280 with no roll. Is it worth going to get fitted for a driver? Anyone who hits around this same distance find good results?  TIA

If you actually get zero roll and/or your driver is rolling backwards from spin - than you have a serious AOA issue and/or your current driver is not a good fit which would indicate the need for a fitting.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 5/7/2021 at 10:23 AM, buckrogers71 said:

I am turning 50 this summer and thought I'd treat myself to a fitting if for nothing more than to get the basics (correct lie angle, shaft weight, flex, club head/ball speed, launch angle and spin rate). I have looked at a full bag fitting at 2nd swing for $150 for the basic full bag package (waived if I buy something) 1.5 hours OR the tour van fitting 2 hours for $600 but need to spend $2000 for that to be "waived". Club Champion is $350 for 3.5 hours for the full bag. Probably wouldnt buy anything from them due to the horror stories I have read about here.

It's not like I am really in the market for clubs, but in true ho form, why not? and I am sure I can surely find SOMETHING to buy.

Has anyone gone through this process? Is one better than the other? is the basic package good enough? 

Any input would be greatly appreciated

If you can do a full bag fitting from 2nd swing in 1.5 hours, just two words, STAY AWAY.  This is the most BS thing I have read.  It takes 3-4 hours for a full bag.  Took me almost 2.5 hours for irons alone, had to make a second appointment with CC and come back (was not charged).

Club Champion and PGA TSS would be my two picks.  Excellent selections, and give you the time needed.  Consider these fittings sunk costs, as most likely (if you are like me), you are buying on the used/secondary market.

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5*

Stealth+ 3W

Stealth+ 5W

Honma TR20V 5-GW

Edel SMS 54/58

Custom Built Putter by Myself

2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

If you actually get zero roll and/or your driver is rolling backwards from spin - than you have a serious AOA issue and/or your current driver is not a good fit which would indicate the need for a fitting.

Drivers don't roll backward from spin.  They rebound backwards from soft turf.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Drivers don't roll backward from spin.  They rebound backwards from soft turf.

Not if i've had a couple beers at the turn....

Golf GIF

• Haha 4

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

• 2 months later...

I'm actually scheduled for a putter fitting at 2nd Swing tomorrow morning. However, like the OP, I've been wondering about the difference between the "nflight" standard fitting service vs their "tour van" fitting service.

I'm definitely buying the club there (have a gift card), so I'm not worried about covering the minimum purchase to eliminate the fee for either fitting service. I scheduled the standard one mostly because of schedule availability. My primary goal is just to find the best putter for me, regardless of new or used. If they have a used putter in stock that works best for me, then that's great, but I don't want to limit my selection to just the used putters they have in stock at that store. I want to make sure I can still try new models they don't have in stock used, and potentially buy or order a new one if that's what I ultimately want to do.

So I guess my question is, even though 2nd Swing's standard fitting service is meant for their used in-store inventory, will I still be able to try out new models during the fitting they don't have in stock used, or would I have to schedule a "tour van" fitting in order to open up those options?

I’ve been to 2nd Swing and CC twice.  Didn't have a good experience first time through at CC so tried another location hoping for a better experience…it was a little better but not much.  

2nd Swing was okay for the most part (I didn't get the car salesman vibe of CC)…but I’m still in search of somewhere that I really trust.

• Like 1

Several years ago I went to a full-bag fitting at Golf Galaxy. The fitter also was a PGA-certified staff teaching pro.

As the fitting started, he told me we'd get my specs, but I didn't need to buy all the clubs at one. The fitting was split over two days. Day 1 long clubs | Day 2 irons and wedges. (I had won a putter fitting at a GG Christmas raffle, and had already done that.)

He ended up tweaking my existing Callaway driver, and switched me to TM fairway woods and hybrid. Day 2 was irons. It was my Callaway X20 Tour irons vs. the RazrX irons family. He said my existing set performed just as well as newer models. Got specs for new wedges, eventually found a used version of desired SW.

It was a good fitting, and gave me confidence I had clubs that I more or less needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast-forward to June 2021. Got an iron fitting from Callaway rep who visited our club - I wanted to shift to lighter graphite. This was more of a confirmation fitting - I had gotten a couple of rough fittings prior fall and in January on the Mavrik offerings.

Ended up getting MAX irons in stock length and lie, with R-flex Project X Catalyst 5.5 shafts. The fitting was good, but the hassle was available components and custom tweaks due to COVID supply chain kinks. I had wanted SwWt upped from D0 to D2 (cut feathery feel) and midsize grips. I was cautioned that planets would fall out of the sky if I requested this, so I went with as-is SwWt and had regular (??) grips shipped "loose in box." Had three layers of tape put under grips, but they were still too thin. Not sure thickness was regular.

Will go with midsize regrip this spring, possibly try tungsten powder down shaft to up SwWt. (Don't tell me about lead tape... there's no place to put it on back of MAX clubhead.)

COVID-era fittings are flawed because club manufacturers give disclaimer that they may have to sub out desired shafts and grips for "similar ones."

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• 2 years later...

Since moving to MN Ive had nothing but great experiences at 2nd swing. Insane used selection and you can hit anything you want on trackman. Also recently had a putter fitting and went into the fitting with a spider X tour X3 that I was dead set on buying and ended up in an Odyssey AI Rossie S. Fitter was awesome and efficient and even adjusted old faithful to the same specs. 

I wanted a mallet as I game a blade to mix it up a bit. Tyler at the Minnetonka store was my fitter and he was great. So good in fact I booked a driver fitting with him next week. The tour van fitting is much better in my opinion and free if you buy something. Looking forward to what I get fit into for a driver. 

I have been to many fitters. Cool clubs, Club Champion, PGA SS, GG, 2nd swing, and several others. 

Cool Clubs was the best but damn they are expensive. I did mine in Scottsdale at GreyHawk and it was amazing 

CC - always left me more

confused and wanting more. Not to mention I feel like they are bias towards certain things.

PGA SS & GG are just box store fittings and I never expect much. 

2nd swing has been a pleasant surprise since moving to MN. Wouldn’t hesitate to fit me for any club. Plus you have the legend himself Mr. Bobka that fits there also. 

• Like 2

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

On 3/29/2024 at 9:09 PM, byoshio82 said:

Since moving to MN Ive had nothing but great experiences at 2nd swing. Insane used selection and you can hit anything you want on trackman. Also recently had a putter fitting and went into the fitting with a spider X tour X3 that I was dead set on buying and ended up in an Odyssey AI Rossie S. Fitter was awesome and efficient and even adjusted old faithful to the same specs. 

I wanted a mallet as I game a blade to mix it up a bit. Tyler at the Minnetonka store was my fitter and he was great. So good in fact I booked a driver fitting with him next week. The tour van fitting is much better in my opinion and free if you buy something. Looking forward to what I get fit into for a driver. 

I have been to many fitters. Cool clubs, Club Champion, PGA SS, GG, 2nd swing, and several others. 

Cool Clubs was the best but damn they are expensive. I did mine in Scottsdale at GreyHawk and it was amazing 

CC - always left me more

confused and wanting more. Not to mention I feel like they are bias towards certain things.

PGA SS & GG are just box store fittings and I never expect much. 

2nd swing has been a pleasant surprise since moving to MN. Wouldn’t hesitate to fit me for any club. Plus you have the legend himself Mr. Bobka that fits there also. 

Putter fitting went so well I went back for a driver and fairway fitting with Tyler at the Minnetonka, MN location a week later. I bought a TSR4 9* with a Ventus Red7X on a whim and decided to return it and do a proper fitting. Had a $650 credit so that helped overall cost. In only 46 swings he was able to fit me into a Driver, 4 wood and 7 wood. Ended up in a TSR3 9* with HZRDUS Gen 4 60g 6.5, TSR2 16.5 HZRDUS Gen 4 70g 6.5, and TSR2 21* (which I already had) with a Ventus Blue OG 7X. I will be ordering a 80g version of the gen 4 for it also to test vs the ventus blue 7X.

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

Ping Factory Fitting-I don’t believe there is a charge (you’d have to get to Phoenix). Incredibly knowledgeable, technologically superior and you do it outside. Plus you get to see the gold putter vault.

Second Swing-Go to the Twin Cities and book Larry Bobka, one of the preeminent club fitters of our time.

Mizuno-Conducts local events, reps are very knowledgeable and the Optimizer is extremely accurate.

Stay away from Club Champion, they use salesmen and not fitters, push you to “spiff” items and their fitters are not very experienced. Ditto for Golftec.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boise59 said:

Ping Factory Fitting-I don’t believe there is a charge (you’d have to get to Phoenix). Incredibly knowledgeable, technologically superior and you do it outside. Plus you get to see the gold putter vault.

Second Swing-Go to the Twin Cities and book Larry Bobka, one of the preeminent club fitters of our time.

Mizuno-Conducts local events, reps are very knowledgeable and the Optimizer is extremely accurate.

Stay away from Club Champion, they use salesmen and not fitters, push you to “spiff” items and their fitters are not very experienced. Ditto for Golftec.

The legend himself Mr. Bobka. Got to meet him yesterday at my fitting. Wealth of knowledge!

WITB - 4/2/24

I'd only do a 2nd swing fitting if I knew I was buying something (because they waive the fitting cost). Can't speak to others. I had an interesting experience, my dad, brother and I all went to get fit at the same shop, I had one fitter while my dad and brother had another. We all were there prepared to purchase a new driver. My fitter had me try 3-4 shafts and 3-4 heads and asked what I liked looking at, and was done. My dad and brother had a different fitter that did both of them and they went on for nearly an hour total, while mine was 15 minutes. They went through different settings on the driver/shaft, and on and on and on. 

I was disappointed to see a thorough fitting happening in front of me after what I'd just been through, but I didn't know what to expect as I'd never been fitted for anything.

I think knowing your fitter and what you want in a fitting  is as important as anything. All the shops will have good tech and selection, but a quality fitter could be the most important.

Fitting is only as good as the fitter - in the last few years numerous places have gotten into fittings which of course spreads out the talent. Every place has good and bad.  Unfortunately, unless you have a referral/recommendation, it's hard to know until you're in it.  The fitter I use bounces around so I just follow up him.  10 years ago Club Champion would have been my vote, but these days I'd be less worried about the place and more worried about the individual doing the job.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

8 hours ago, MotherTeresa10 said:

I'd only do a 2nd swing fitting if I knew I was buying something (because they waive the fitting cost). Can't speak to others. I had an interesting experience, my dad, brother and I all went to get fit at the same shop, I had one fitter while my dad and brother had another. We all were there prepared to purchase a new driver. My fitter had me try 3-4 shafts and 3-4 heads and asked what I liked looking at, and was done. My dad and brother had a different fitter that did both of them and they went on for nearly an hour total, while mine was 15 minutes. They went through different settings on the driver/shaft, and on and on and on. 

I was disappointed to see a thorough fitting happening in front of me after what I'd just been through, but I didn't know what to expect as I'd never been fitted for anything.

I think knowing your fitter and what you want in a fitting  is as important as anything. All the shops will have good tech and selection, but a quality fitter could be the most important.

My question for your fitting would be did you get the results you wanted?  Did you communicate what you wanted/hoped to achieve or ask to try more while you were waiting for your brother and dad? Typically they block out an hour so you can test until your little hearts content. We got driver and 4wd and 7wd done in 50 minutes and I left 100% satisfied those were hands down the best options for me. 

I definitely have been through a ton of fittings and know what I am looking for and what profile tends to work for me. I know equipment well so I have an idea of what I’d like to try and then I put it in the fitters hands to find what’s best. I also know what from a data standpoint that I’m looking for in case I’m suspecting the fitter doesn’t know their stuff. 

WITB - 4/2/24

I am also a huge fan of 2nd Swing Tour Fan experience.  My fitter is Aaron Roth and I trust him with my game.  Recently did a fitting to see if new driver was in the future as I like to see if there is always something better.  My fitting lasted about 20 mins as he said save your money, as we were dialed in from last year we could not see any gains.  He also laughed and said I would be back mid summer when we are in full go mode to try again. 

I like these guys because of all the shaft options you get.  I have an idea what I like but as I like to tinker, they have the tools to see if there is something to help my game.  I have done fittings at CC, PGA and GG.  I know each of the guys so I have had good experience with all but the shaft selection is what keeps me at 2nd Swing Tour van.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9 Ventus Velocore Blue 6x Tipped 1 inch

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade 2023 P7MB P-5 MMT 125 TX & P7MC 4 MMT 125TX  Soft Stepped

PXG SDII 50(51), SD II Full Face 54 (55) and TM MG4 60 (59)

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat GSS

13 hours ago, byoshio82 said:

My question for your fitting would be did you get the results you wanted?  Did you communicate what you wanted/hoped to achieve or ask to try more while you were waiting for your brother and dad? Typically they block out an hour so you can test until your little hearts content. We got driver and 4wd and 7wd done in 50 minutes and I left 100% satisfied those were hands down the best options for me. 

I definitely have been through a ton of fittings and know what I am looking for and what profile tends to work for me. I know equipment well so I have an idea of what I’d like to try and then I put it in the fitters hands to find what’s best. I also know what from a data standpoint that I’m looking for in case I’m suspecting the fitter doesn’t know their stuff. 

No, that was probably part of the problem for me, little naïve, didn't know what to expect or what I wanted, guess I shouldn't put that all on the fitter. I did make it clear I've never done it before, and I'm not saying don't do it with them, I just think it's invaluable to have what ScottyGolf described in his relationship with a fitter.

My brother and dad had the same expectations/never been fitted like me and had a 100% different experience, not because of something they said or did.

Edited by MotherTeresa10

On 4/4/2024 at 11:08 AM, charliebrown said:

How are you doing with your current clubs when you put a good swing on them? Is it obvious that something is "off" with them?

When I posted this I was in shambles and looking for "something" to fix me. This being Wrx, it was the arrow and NOT the Indian (lol). That being said, I have switched iron shafts and now (2 years later) have succumbed to the fact that I am old and fat (more fat than old). But now, I'd really just like to know where I am at with swing speed, distances, AOA, etc.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:57 AM, Cmoney710 said:

I am a 6 index and hit my drives around 275-280 with no roll. Is it worth going to get fitted for a driver? Anyone who hits around this same distance find good results?  TIA

Just got fit at 2nd swing this week and my carry is the same mine rolls out to 295-300 on average. 5 handicap. SS 110-115mph

WITB - 4/2/24

2 hours ago, buckrogers71 said:

When I posted this I was in shambles and looking for "something" to fix me. This being Wrx, it was the arrow and NOT the Indian (lol). That being said, I have switched iron shafts and now (2 years later) have succumbed to the fact that I am old and fat (more fat than old). But now, I'd really just like to know where I am at with swing speed, distances, AOA, etc.

I'm pretty much where you are. Maybe different after a shoulder re-build and herniated discs. I'm not surrendering. I can play. Shafts? Regular and graphite is a definite option. Swing speed? I don't care to delve that deep into it. My "thing" is what distances do I hit my irons. I make a note for each iron and go to the course and play. Golf is a strange and wonderful game. I've set my OCD aside and hit it and find it. Hit it again. Rinse and repeat. I just enjoy the process of the game these days. It's a good time. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, charliebrown said:

I'm pretty much where you are. Maybe different after a shoulder re-build and herniated discs. I'm not surrendering. I can play. Shafts? Regular and graphite is a definite option. Swing speed? I don't care to delve that deep into it. My "thing" is what distances do I hit my irons. I make a note for each iron and go to the course and play. Golf is a strange and wonderful game. I've set my OCD aside and hit it and find it. Hit it again. Rinse and repeat. I just enjoy the process of the game these days. It's a good time. 

I agree with you 100%, but for craps and gigs, I'd like to know if I am beating myself down or I am right where i need to be 

On 1/8/2022 at 12:55 PM, JCAG said:

Always compare your existing clubs to ones proposed. No gain, no sale.

THIS.

I've done it twice just out of curiosity re. my irons. First fitter told me I don't "need" new irons but he'd sell me a set with my specs if I just wanted new irons. Second guy at local course who's also a good teacher and fitting was done outside off of real turf was great. His recommendation: "If you want to hit an 8 iron rather than a 6 or 7 iron, yeah. Get new irons." I know I'd hit jacked lofted irons further comparing the numbers on the sole of the iron. Also, appreciated dealing with people who are honest. Even if it costs them a sale.