Ontario Golf

BallerNate

2 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

They had no rakes but bunkers were well taken care of except the waste bunkers which is what it is with those.

If you're not going to courses with rakes that's a lot of courses you're not playing. 

My club has had rakes back for over a month, and they were there at TPC as well.  From talking to others, courses with no rakes are actually in a minority at this point.  

42 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

My club has had rakes back for over a month, and they were there at TPC as well.  From talking to others, courses with no rakes are actually in a minority at this point.  

It's a mix, I've played courses with no rakes and pin can be removed, I've played courses with rakes but pin cups/lifters. At this point I don't care I'm just out there enjoying as many rounds as I can before winter hits and I wait to hear if my name is called for a private membership. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, MattM97 said:

It's a mix, I've played courses with no rakes and pin can be removed, I've played courses with rakes but pin cups/lifters. At this point I don't care I'm just out there enjoying as many rounds as I can before winter hits and I wait to hear if my name is called for a private membership. 

The private club membership has really paid for itself the last 18 months, that is for certain.

37 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

The private club membership has really paid for itself the last 18 months, that is for certain.

As someone who likes to play solo from time to time cause launching a rocket to space is easier than getting my friends to play. I'll have that membership paid for in no time. 

• Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

50 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

As someone who likes to play solo from time to time cause launching a rocket to space is easier than getting my friends to play. I'll have that membership paid for in no time. 

You win the internet for today.  That is a great line.

Seriously, though, it is amazing how many people seem to think you can't play golf if you aren't playing with someone.  Just get out there.

Edited by golfortennis
  • Like 2

Yeah, I agree with you both. I have no problems playing solo rounds and just don’t have the patience to wait for buddies who hum and haw for hours (or days) and all the Tee times get eaten up while you wait.

Played at Settlers Ghost today for the first time, which was a solo round.

Really nice course, challenging layout, and well-maintained. But I would probably rate it 3rd for me in the Barrie area behind Tangle Creek and Heritage Hills. Would probably rank Vespra Hills in front of it too, but Vespra is Private and guest fees are a little too ridiculous for me personally.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 4 weeks later...

Booked my last round of the year, decided to go out with a bang, playing TPC Toronto - Hoot the 37th ranked course in Canada. It will be about 3 week since I last played or swung a club which means I'll shoot 80 or 105, just hope it's not awful weather. Need to find the golf pants and hope they fit still 😬

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 10/9/2021 at 11:21 AM, MattM97 said:

Booked my last round of the year, decided to go out with a bang, playing TPC Toronto - Hoot the 37th ranked course in Canada. It will be about 3 week since I last played or swung a club which means I'll shoot 80 or 105, just hope it's not awful weather. Need to find the golf pants and hope they fit still 😬

Awesome…enjoy the round!!

For me I’m going to keep swinging until there’s snow on the ground and I have no time at all to squeeze in rounds. I’ve actually played 8 rounds in the last 2 weeks and hoping to get in at least 2 this upcoming week!! 😎

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

28 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Awesome…enjoy the round!!

For me I’m going to keep swinging until there’s snow on the ground and I have no time at all to squeeze in rounds. I’ve actually played 8 rounds in the last 2 weeks and hoping to get in at least 2 this upcoming week!! 😎

I'm jealous of how much you've been playing. I've just been working too much and too hard to do anything after work. So I'm going to enjoy that last round and if I can sneak in another round I will.

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I'm jealous of how much you've been playing. I've just been working too much and too hard to do anything after work. So I'm going to enjoy that last round and if I can sneak in another round I will.

Definitely understandable, sometimes work and life get in the way of golf unfortunately! 😉

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 2 weeks later...

Played Renfrew GC just outside Ottawa a few weeks ago. Weekend rate at the time was $28. 

It's a very well maintained, old school kind of course, with lots of elevation changes. The front is a lot tighter than the back, which is a little more generous off the tee. Even though the greens had been punched and sanded, I'm struggling to think of a better value course I have played in recent memory. 

I've posted some pictures here

Incidentally, fellow Ontarians, please feel free to add any of your course pics in the thread I've linked to. It would be cool to have some more ON course pics in there. 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, MMB1500 said:

Played Renfrew GC just outside Ottawa a few weeks ago. Weekend rate at the time was $28. 

It's a very well maintained, old school kind of course, with lots of elevation changes. The front is a lot tighter than the back, which is a little more generous off the tee. Even though the greens had been punched and sanded, I'm struggling to think of a better value course I have ever played in recent memory. 

I've posted some pictures here

Incidentally, fellow Ontarians, please feel free to add any of your course pics in the thread I've linked to. It would be cool to have some more ON course pics in there. 

Just checked out your pics…looks like a beauty course for only $28, amazing!!

Definitely not finding any value like that anywhere in or near the GTA, that’s for sure!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Well, unfortunately snow is just around the corner and I’m getting e-mails about upcoming course closures on a daily basis.

Personally I’ve been squeezing in as many rounds as possible for these last couple of weeks. I’ve been averaging 3 rounds per week over the last 3 weeks, and I’m going to keep pushing until Old Man Winter is here.

Tried BraeBen for the first time last week and will be going back on Monday…absolutely loved the course and the views! Yesterday I tried Royal Stouffville for the first time in a rain soaked/windy round (3-7 degrees C), and tomorrow I’ll be trying out the Nationally recognized Bond Head South!!

Going out with a bang, and they’re going to have to snatch the sticks out of my hands once the snow falls, Lol!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

We haven't really been able to play.  Well, we have but our course is looking like quicksand.  So much water has fallen the last month, and we don't drain the best to begin with.  Cooler temps and constant rain.... brutal.  Hoping we get a bit of drying to get a few more rounds in.  It's not fun when you are both hoping your ball doesn't plug and having search parties every time someone misses a fairway because the ground is too wet for the rough to be cut.

52 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

We haven't really been able to play.  Well, we have but our course is looking like quicksand.  So much water has fallen the last month, and we don't drain the best to begin with.  Cooler temps and constant rain.... brutal.  Hoping we get a bit of drying to get a few more rounds in.  It's not fun when you are both hoping your ball doesn't plug and having search parties every time someone misses a fairway because the ground is too wet for the rough to be cut.

Doesn’t sound like fun for sure. Are there other courses in your area you can play that handle water better? What’s your home course?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Played Bond Head South for the first time yesterday, and my gosh was it ever incredible!!

As good as people have advertised it to be, and definitely the type of course I would love to be a member at!

Not sure if I’ll be able to get another round in there before the end of the season, but will try and squeeze another in there if possible for sure.

43675747-2A6E-4A82-B075-53CDFE6A01E8.jpeg

Edited by BallerNate

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

That bottom pic is of the North course IIRC

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

12 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

That bottom pic is of the North course IIRC

Removed the picture, thanks. Yeah, I didn’t have time to take pictures, just the top one. There was a 1hr frost delay, so had to rush and only got to finish 16 holes before having to leave for work.

Got that picture from Google and thought it was Hole 12 on Bond Head South.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Likely played my last local round today.

Light rain on the front but it stopped for the back so it wasn't too bad. I was all layered up so other than the horribly short distance the ball was carrying it was a pretty nice day.

Forecast for this week doesn't look particularly good so I'm not likely to get out again before the trip to Bandon.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Yeah, I don’t know how many more rounds I have in me either, the cold, wind, and wet conditions aren’t fun to deal with.

Got a round in on Monday at BraeBen that was absolutely brutal with the temperatures in the 4-6 Celsius range and the wind blowing extremely hard side to side. Got one in yesterday at Tangle Creek that was also very tough.

Supposed to warm up a little next week, so I’ve got Tee times booked on Monday and Tuesday, but not sure if I’ll be able to handle much more after that.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Well my friends, absolutely incredible golfing day today, and those of us lucky enough to get out were blessed with 17 degrees and lots of sun!

Looking at the weather starting on Saturday, and judging by the number of e-mails I’m getting about course closures, it looks like this is officially the end of the season for me and most in the GTA area.

I’m going out with a bang this week…played BraeBen today, Cardinal East Wing tomorrow, Tangle Creek on Wednesday, and Four Seasons on Thursday!! Been an awesome season and I’m thankful for the rounds this week in November!

5A2BFA91-850C-4548-9286-C457B52C4F27.jpeg

04BEDD17-E73B-4CEA-B24F-362F10C70D2A.jpeg

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up on my last post, I actually ended up squeezing in another round last week at Remington Parkview Upper Course, and am planning another one on Monday at Rolling Hills (Challenge).

Anyone else still getting rounds in here in Ontario either in the GTA or elsewhere? Getting pretty frigid and mucky out, but I’ll keep scratching the itch as long as there are open courses that are still playable.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone on a waitlist for a private club this off season? 

If not what are some courses on your to play list in 2022? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I’m actually still swinging the sticks for the 2021 season, Lol!

Weather has been awesome this month…I played twice already this week and have a Tee time booked tomorrow as well! Tropical Ontario with Golf in December…who knew! 😎🌴

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 4 weeks later...

So when do we start worrying about whether or not we're going to play golf this year?

Last year it was advantage Quebec.

This year we may be sneaking in to your province! I think we're down to our last 3 nurses.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, MtlJeff said:

So when do we start worrying about whether or not we're going to play golf this year?

This year we may be sneaking in to your province! I think we're down to our last 3 nurses.

Just seeing this now Jeff. Jeez I hope there’s no more Golf closures this year…that was absolutely BRUTAL last year!!! 🤞🏽🤞🏽

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 1/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, MtlJeff said:

Our fearless leader has said everything will be back to normal in March. So there's that.

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 minute ago, jvincent said:

Our fearless leader has said everything will be back to normal in March. So there's that.

We will likely have to provide proof of vaccination before every individual stroke!

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

22 hours ago, jvincent said:

22 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

We will likely have to provide proof of vaccination before every individual stroke!

Bahaha!! Yeah, the chances of everything being “normal” in March is about as likely as Charlie Woods turning Pro this year and winning the Masters. 🙃🤣

No problem with showing proof of vaccine upon check in at the course though…as long as we’re swinging the sticks in the Spring, that’s all that matters!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I really hope we don't get another golf shut down, mentally I can't take it if I can't do anything when it's warm and sunny outside.

I also haven't heard anything in terms of membership for the 2 clubs I'm waiting to hear back from so not sure if it's too early or I didn't get selected. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread