Titleist TSI3

FairwayFinder11

I’m a 9 hcp with a 105 swing speed.  Got fitted into a Titleist TSI3 w/ a Tensei AV White 65 stiff shaft.  Am I good enough to be playing this club?   To give you some background I’m coming from playing a Ping G400 Max with a lighter Alta CB 55 stock shaft.  Feeling out of my comfort zone with this club TBH, but I already pulled the trigger on it so no turning back.  Curious to hear your guys thoughts.  Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, FairwayFinder11 said:

I’m a 9 hcp with a 105 swing speed.  Got fitted into a Titleist TSI3 w/ a Tensei AV White 65 stiff shaft.  Am I good enough to be playing this club?   To give you some background I’m coming from playing a Ping G400 Max with a lighter Alta CB 55 stock shaft.  Feeling out of my comfort zone with this club TBH, but I already pulled the trigger on it so no turning back.  Curious to hear your guys thoughts.  Thanks. 

Without knowing the numbers for everything you hit, none of us will be able to say for certain. What else did you hit that day? What was the fitters’ rationale for the TSi3? Where were your mis-hits? The Raw White is low launch-low spin so do you have a tendency to hit your driver too high? I play both this exact driver and a SIM2 with Tensei Raw Blue as my backup/extra. The Titleist is probably the one that is going to stay in my bag due to the consistency of it, and on a personal note I like the adjustability of it in the event that I start making swing changes. Some folks hit the ball further with a heavier driver shaft, while others struggle. My driver swing speed is just below yours and according to Arccos I’m averaging 265 with the TSi and 273 with the SIM. However, there has been a direct correlation to the TSI and fairways hit, so at my home course it’s a no brainer. Nothing about equipment is “one size fits all” so if you do have any of the data from the fitting, it would certainly be beneficial to post. 

5 minutes ago, Tverrall said:

Without knowing the numbers for everything you hit, none of us will be able to say for certain. What else did you hit that day? What was the fitters’ rationale for the TSi3? Where were your mis-hits? The Raw White is low launch-low spin so do you have a tendency to hit your driver too high? I play both this exact driver and a SIM2 with Tensei Raw Blue as my backup/extra. The Titleist is probably the one that is going to stay in my bag due to the consistency of it, and on a personal note I like the adjustability of it in the event that I start making swing changes. Some folks hit the ball further with a heavier driver shaft, while others struggle. My driver swing speed is just below yours and according to Arccos I’m averaging 265 with the TSi and 273 with the SIM. However, there has been a direct correlation to the TSI and fairways hit, so at my home course it’s a no brainer. Nothing about equipment is “one size fits all” so if you do have any of the data from the fitting, it would certainly be beneficial to post. 

I hit SIM2 Max, G425, Epic Speed, TSI2 , and TSI3. TSI3 gave me best distance, mishits were still going a mile.  Personally I said how much I loved the look of the club at address and confidence I got with it looking down at the club.  I think between the numbers and my personal feelings he made that recommendation. I hit the SIM2 Max well too but couldn’t get over the busy crown. As far as the shaft, my tendency with my G400 Max Alta CB 55 was either a big high right miss or a snap hook.  My trajectory with that club was very high.  So far hitting the TSI3 on the range I can see the ball flight is significantly lower.   Here’s the data from the fitting I had comparing my G400 Max to the TSi3 

FB5D6368-5F42-40E0-9247-EC9E82BF0EBC.jpeg.51d08d9a74271150510fc8a2ed0138e5.jpeg

Its less about how good you are, and more about what you are delivering. Drivers are pretty standardized currently, minor changes make some better for others than another brand would be but its all been capped for drivers for a while. Handicap ranges while having some value, are not really good indicators of what someone should be playing. There are high cappers who can benefit greatly with some lower spin drivers, some who dont.

3 minutes ago, FairwayFinder11 said:

I hit SIM2 Max, G425, Epic Speed, TSI2 , and TSI3. TSI3 gave me best distance, mishits were still going a mile.  Personally I said how much I loved the look of the club at address and confidence I got with it looking down at the club.  I think between the numbers and my personal feelings he made that recommendation. I hit the SIM2 Max well too but couldn’t get over the busy crown. As far as the shaft, my tendency with my G400 Max Alta CB 55 was either a big high right miss or a snap hook.  My trajectory with that club was very high.  So far hitting the TSI3 on the range I can see the ball flight is significantly lower.   Here’s the data from the fitting I had comparing my G400 Max to the TSi3 

So going by this it’s hard to argue with an increase in almost 20yds. It’s a little “kunckly” with the low backspin but nothing of concern. Im not sure if you’re looking for confirmation from anyone here, but it looks like you came away with the right club. There is an adjustment period, so I certainly wouldn’t give up on anything yet. 

9 minutes ago, Tverrall said:

So going by this it’s hard to argue with an increase in almost 20yds. It’s a little “kunckly” with the low backspin but nothing of concern. Im not sure if you’re looking for confirmation from anyone here, but it looks like you came away with the right club. There is an adjustment period, so I certainly wouldn’t give up on anything yet. 

in the few range sessions I’ve had with it I’ve hit it well.  It’s just the heavier shaft and lower trajectory that is taking me a while to adjust I guess. I used that G400 Max with the Alta cb 55 for like 3+ years.  

8 hours ago, FairwayFinder11 said:

Are you good enough?  Definitely.  I am gaming the same combo and you are a couple of stokes better than me.

11 hours ago, 4cowboys said:

looks like offline shots were better with the ping. Did you notice worse dispersion with the tsi3?. Mainly asking, also coming from a g400 max, and thinking of buying a tsi3. my golf shop has a used one, at a good price. Thanks

Dispersion was actually better generally.  There were just 1 bad one that really threw off the average. So far biggest adjustment for me is getting used to heavier shaft and lower ball flight.  At address the TSi3 looks night and day compared to G400 Max.  Feel way more confident with it and just hope it leads to a few more fairways hit per round.  That’ll hopefully get me dipping into the 70s consistently

• Like 1

During the fitting, TSi3 with White AV wasn’t performing very well. However I relied on feedback from you guys on the forum and took a chance with TSi3 9.0. I won a golf tournament the day after I got the driver using Pro V1. V1x didn't do well then I bought Left Dash shorty after the first tournament to see if it increases in the distance. It turned out a perfect fit for each other. I averaged 290+ carry first time in my 49.75 years 😁 with the stock shaft! SIM and 425 drivers are very good but launched too high with their stock shafts.

13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

I’m a 12 and just picked up a Tsi3 with smoke black rdx. Coming from an old TM jet speed. I love everything about the Tsi3, looks, feel, distance, no less forgiving than Tsi2 or g425 LST. I’ve picked up about 25 yards of total distance with a nice penetrating ball flight and no ballooon balls. I’m mostly getting away with the toey miss hits as well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you can hit close to the sweet spot most of the time, the TSi3 is going to give you best ball speed/ distance over the Ping.

That was my experience when I got fitted. 

Problem was the TSi3 wasn't as forgiving dispersion wise. It was consistently longer than most everything else, though. Same with the TSi2, which spun a bit more and launched higher.

That said, for me the 425 LST beat them both for consistency overall.

I will keep an eye out for a deal on a TSi3 next year, though. Best driver series Titleist has released since the 910 series.

Edited by RainShadow

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

1 hour ago, RainShadow said:

If you can hit close to the sweet spot most of the time, the TSi3 is going to give you best ball speed/ distance over the Ping.

That was my experience when I got fitted. 

Problem was the TSi3 wasn't as forgiving dispersion wise. It was consistently longer than most everything else, though. Same with the TSi2, which spun a bit more and launched higher.

That said, for me the 425 LST beat them both for consistency overall.

I will keep an eye out for a deal on a TSi3 next year, though. Best driver series Titleist has released since the 910 series.

See I actually had the opposite experience as it relates to dispersion with TSi3  compared to G400 Max.  I know that sounds crazy.  I believe the heavier shaft is a big reason for this.  I’m also not seeing as many of those ballooning big right misses I had with G400 Max. 

Don't shy away from the TSi3 based on forgiveness. I also came from the G400 max. In fitting I was 25 yds longer and had better dispersion with the TSi3. Granted I got fit and bought a Ventus Blue so that may be part of it. I play to a 13 hcp currently so not a great ball striker. Shaft and head brought my ball flight down a lot compared to the max which has helped. 

Right now my driving has never been better. Longer and straighter than ever. Really do love this driver/shaft combo for me. Driving is so fun right now. 

• Like 1

Those numbers with the G400 don't look all that bad honestly.  Seems launch monitors love low spin and often translate it into lots of distance.  I hope it works out to be true outside for you, though...  Personally, I'd take dispersion over distance 9/10 times but if you can control the TSi3, I don't think there is a better looking driver out there right now.  TSi3 has been on my mind, too, I just can't really give up the ease of the 400 Max right now.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 6/2/2021 at 5:39 PM, Nixhex524 said:

Those numbers with the G400 don't look all that bad honestly.  Seems launch monitors love low spin and often translate it into lots of distance.  I hope it works out to be true outside for you, though...  Personally, I'd take dispersion over distance 9/10 times but if you can control the TSi3, I don't think there is a better looking driver out there right now.  TSi3 has been on my mind, too, I just can't really give up the ease of the 400 Max right now.

UPDATE:   I’ve returned the TSi3 and have gone back to my old faithful G400 Max.   Bottom line after multiple range sessions I just couldn’t get comfortable with the TSI3. While it is the nicest driver head on the market, for me I wasn’t seeing enough of a noticeable difference to justify spending the $560.  The only major difference I was seeing was the lower ball flight, due in large part to the heavier shaft.  Otherwise was hitting similar distance and dispersion to my Max. I’ll pocket the $560 for something else and continue to enjoy the forgiveness of the Max.  

I demoed the Mavrik yesterday on GC Quad.  I saw ball speeds I have not seen with any other driver yet.  Sound and feel were phenomenal so I am taking it out for a round today... Don't think it will be as forgiving as the G400 Max, but we will see!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 6/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, FairwayFinder11 said:

yes you are...no doubt.....dont let any marketing tell you anything different. Titleist made these drivers "forgiving", if you believe in this type of rhetoric.    Technology has moved forward to the point of allowing even the crappiest of golfer to hit a driver well......

its all on your swing path.....its not the club

15 hours ago, FairwayFinder11 said:

UPDATE:   I’ve returned the TSi3 and have gone back to my old faithful G400 Max.   Bottom line after multiple range sessions I just couldn’t get comfortable with the TSI3. While it is the nicest driver head on the market, for me I wasn’t seeing enough of a noticeable difference to justify spending the $560.  The only major difference I was seeing was the lower ball flight, due in large part to the heavier shaft.  Otherwise was hitting similar distance and dispersion to my Max. I’ll pocket the $560 for something else and continue to enjoy the forgiveness of the Max.  

whoa...just saw this......good move.....keeping the $560 was a smart move because no club is worth it....unless you are guranteed to score 10 strokes better because of the club, the money can be spent on something better......I still play the 910 D3 because it goes just as far as the new TSi drivers when hit the same.......why wasted 500+ on one club that does nothing to make you score better.    

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 2:00 AM, FairwayFinder11 said:

I would not want my average back spin to be as low as the TSi3 (1800) you would get some really low spin nose divers with that, dont know why a fitter would think thats a good idea, well apart from the coin he would be getting

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

10 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

I demoed the Mavrik yesterday on GC Quad.  I saw ball speeds I have not seen with any other driver yet.  Sound and feel were phenomenal so I am taking it out for a round today... Don't think it will be as forgiving as the G400 Max, but we will see!

Why did you try the standard and not the Max version?

2 minutes ago, FairwayFinder11 said:

Why did you try the standard and not the Max version?

IDK honestly,  mostly came down to looks I think.  After playing it today I can say it is plenty forgiving anyway.  I am going to play around with shafts but I was impressed overall.  Hit 1 or 2 that my MAX never would have touched but overall it was about the same length.  Sound and feel are a hug upgrade though.  The Mav Max might be worth a shot though.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

15 hours ago, FairwayFinder11 said:

I’m toying around with the idea of getting a slightly heavier shaft to put into my G400 Max driver and G400 3 wood.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a 105 swing speed (ideally something lower cost)?    Thanks

Just sent you a PM.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

UPDATE:   I just ordered a SIM Max 9 degree with a ventus blue 6 and a PING G410 Plus with a Tensei CK 60 Orange.  Got both off 2nd swing.  Planning on taking both out for a range session to see if either out perform my current G400 Max with Alta cb 55 shaft.  Will return at least one of them after testing.   Will report back. 

On 6/5/2021 at 7:31 PM, FairwayFinder11 said:

UPDATE:   I just ordered a SIM Max 9 degree with a ventus blue 6 and a PING G410 Plus with a Tensei CK 60 Orange.  Got both off 2nd swing.  Planning on taking both out for a range session to see if either out perform my current G400 Max with Alta cb 55 shaft.  Will return at least one of them after testing.   Will report back. 

G410 Plus w/ Tensei CK 60 orange stiff shaft came in today.  Brought it out for a range session and was not blown anyway by any means.  While it felt comfortable and familiar coming from the G400 Max, I did not see much difference.  The shaft was certainly more stable feeling compared to the Alta cb 55.   SIM Max should be in tomorrow and I’ll probably take it out for 18.  Will report back.