Just bought a Mavrik to upgrade from my Rogue....

nlinneman20

tell me I'm going to love it and see a difference!!

Rogue has a Fujikura XLR8 shaft in it, plays at 43.5.  The one coming is from pre-owned and coming with a Riptide and had them cut it down to 44.25.  Worst case I can put my old shaft in the new head.

I panicked and pulled the trigger lol as pre-owned has a good sale going on.  I had one in my cart with a Rogue White shaft in it and it must have sold because it kept telling me its no longer available.

Played a Rogue for 12 months , and got a Mavrik purely because I got one at a great price.

Mavrik better sound and feel than the Rogue, distance Rogue was fraction better as was accuracy. I sold the Mavrik after two rounds , ymmv.

Note this was probably more a shaft issue , the Riptide didn't suit me as well as the Evenflow in the Rogue

I had the same thought and bought a Mavrik because I had such a good experience with the Rogue. Unfortunately I found the Mavrik was dramatically different and didn’t give me comparable results at all.

Not sure if it was a shaft issues or head issue, but found the Rogue with Aldila Synergy shaft gave me much more distance, forgiveness, and consistency than the Mavrik did with any of the shafts I tried (Tensei AV Blue, Aldila Rogue White, or PX Hzrdus Black Smoke).

Just gave up on the Mavrik experiment a couple of weeks ago and traded it for a SIM Max….we’ll see what happens.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

50 minutes ago, leftylama said:

Played a Rogue for 12 months , and got a Mavrik purely because I got one at a great price.

Mavrik better sound and feel than the Rogue, distance Rogue was fraction better as was accuracy. I sold the Mavrik after two rounds , ymmv.

Note this was probably more a shaft issue , the Riptide didn't suit me as well as the Evenflow in the Rogue

See I hit my rogue pretty well lol (dont ask why im changing, im an addict) but i figure my worst case scenario is plugging my current shaft into the Mavrik, sell the Rogue with the shaft that is coming.

On a side note, I just switched my order from the Riptide to the Rogue White, not sure if that was a good idea or not but if anyone has opinions let me know!

Driver used to be the weakest part of my game when I was gaming a Rogue 2 years ago. Switched to a Mavrik along with a different shaft and am now swinging much more confidently. As a result my overall distance has gone up considerably, as has my fwys hit. Found the Mavrik to give me better ball speeds and forgiveness to boot.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

I haven't played a Cally driver since the X Hot.  I wouldn't go near them for the longest time, but this year on a whim and some friendly advice, I pulled the trigger on a Mavrik 10.5 turned down -1 with the Rogue white 60x.  I cut a half inch off the 45.5" playing length and added a 10g weight to the head and MY LORD.... This has to be the best driver I have hit in a lot of years.  Distance, accuracy, sound, feel... this driver has it all.  It has completely changed my game as of late, hitting fairways is so underrated..LOL.  I can't compare to any other Callaway drivers but I did demo the Mavrik with the Riptide 50 6.0 and saw faster ball speeds than I have seen with any other driver before it, I just wanted a little heavier shaft in the Rogue White.   I am a huge fan of the Mavrik, it has been unreal for me.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I did this as well, Rogue is a darn good head, super forgiving but I spun it up a bit too much. I could get it into a 2500rpm window but on average it was closer to 3000 RPM for me. Same GD IZ shaft in both. 

Mavrik was far easier to get into a mid 2000 RPM window (along with the Rogue SZ weight back for me) and when well struck low 2000's. 

So that's the rub: its still a personal equation in terms of if you will see any delta with it or not.

While nothing to do with performance, Mavrik sounds better but the Rogue wasn't hard on the ears (looking at you Epic Flash...)

• Like 1

I still play the Rogue because every time I look at something newer I just don’t see better results. It’s a good head and plenty forgiving. Goes well with my old school Aldila VS Proto shaft

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

If you cut the shaft shorter you will need to add weight, unless you also want a lighter club.  I bought a ladies Epic Flash from CPO because it was already cut down 2 inches and had the sliding weight feature. 

I was surprised to find the  Swing Weight as received was just C0!  The slider weight was just 10g!  No wonder someone didn't like it!  Their loss, my gain.

It had a men's grip which brought down the swing weight, so I switched it back to a ladies grip and brought the swing weight up two points.  I have really small hands in addition to being short.  

I could swap in a 30g slider weight which would bring the swing weight all the way up to D2.

Traditionally lead tape has been used to dial in swing weight.  I bought a box of lead tape strips for fine tuning my golf clubs.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

If you cut the shaft shorter you will need to add weight, unless you also want a lighter club.  I bought a ladies Epic Flash from CPO because it was already cut down 2 inches and had the sliding weight feature. 

I was surprised to find the  Swing Weight as received was just C0!  The slider weight was just 10g!  No wonder someone didn't like it!  Their loss, my gain.

It had a men's grip which brought down the swing weight, so I switched it back to a ladies grip and brought the swing weight up two points.  I have really small hands in addition to being short.  

I could swap in a 30g slider weight which would bring the swing weight all the way up to D2.

Traditionally lead tape has been used to dial in swing weight.  I bought a box of lead tape strips for fine tuning my golf clubs.

Yup my Rogue plays at 43.5, I think I probably have around 6 or 7 inches of lead tape on the head.

I will hopefully find a heavier weight for the mavrik and then play with tape.

By the way, does anyone know the standard weight of the weight in the regular Mavrik?  Couldnt find it online but would like to get ahead of the game and order a heavier one for when it comes in the mail I'm ready.

Agree with most of what has been posted.  The Mavrik feels better, is a bit more forgiving, and is going to be slightly lower spin.  For me, it also outperformed SIM, G410 Plus, and SpeedZone when testing all with Aldila Rogue White.  These slight improvements won't cover up for the wrong shaft, or acclimating to a different shaft, however.  Keep that in mind.

So yes, it's a better version of the Rogue.

Edited by morgan1819

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

12 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

I haven't played a Cally driver since the X Hot.  I wouldn't go near them for the longest time, but this year on a whim and some friendly advice, I pulled the trigger on a Mavrik 10.5 turned down -1 with the Rogue white 60x.  I cut a half inch off the 45.5" playing length and added a 10g weight to the head and MY LORD.... This has to be the best driver I have hit in a lot of years.  Distance, accuracy, sound, feel... this driver has it all.  It has completely changed my game as of late, hitting fairways is so underrated..LOL.  I can't compare to any other Callaway drivers but I did demo the Mavrik with the Riptide 50 6.0 and saw faster ball speeds than I have seen with any other driver before it, I just wanted a little heavier shaft in the Rogue White.   I am a huge fan of the Mavrik, it has been unreal for me.

How do you like the white?  

Obviously I haven't hit either that or the Riptide but reading online I saw some people says the Rip is whippy, I also wanted slightly heavier shaft than the rip.

Little concerned about the counter weighting though, I swing about 100mph and very smooth....at least according to people I play with lol.  Not jerky at all and definitely do not go all out when I swing unless I feel I need to.

As mentioned going to play this at 44.25 inches, not sure if that'll have any effect on it....(yes I know the SW will be light, I will add weight, my current driver plays at 43.5 so I am experienced in short drivers lol)

5 hours ago, nlinneman20 said:

How do you like the white?  

Obviously I haven't hit either that or the Riptide but reading online I saw some people says the Rip is whippy, I also wanted slightly heavier shaft than the rip.

Little concerned about the counter weighting though, I swing about 100mph and very smooth....at least according to people I play with lol.  Not jerky at all and definitely do not go all out when I swing unless I feel I need to.

As mentioned going to play this at 44.25 inches, not sure if that'll have any effect on it....(yes I know the SW will be light, I will add weight, my current driver plays at 43.5 so I am experienced in short drivers lol)

Honestly, I love this shaft.  Im not sure if its the head or the shaft or the combo but the ball flight I am getting is so straight and powerful.  I swing in the 105-107 range and I feel like the x is perfect.  The Riptide is very stable but it spun a little more in the softer flex but it was also pretty stable.  Maybe the Rogue white in stiff would be worth a shot.  Im a huge Aldila fan already but I have nothing but good things to say about it.  I also hit the 70s rogue white in the 425 driver a while back and loved it then too.... 

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

18 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Honestly, I love this shaft.  Im not sure if its the head or the shaft or the combo but the ball flight I am getting is so straight and powerful.  I swing in the 105-107 range and I feel like the x is perfect.  The Riptide is very stable but it spun a little more in the softer flex but it was also pretty stable.  Maybe the Rogue white in stiff would be worth a shot.  Im a huge Aldila fan already but I have nothing but good things to say about it.  I also hit the 70s rogue white in the 425 driver a while back and loved it then too.... 

Good to hear, I got the stiff of course, I havent had much Aldila experience but I have the silver in my 4 wood and absolutely love it so hoping it carries over to the driver.  If not I just use my current one.  I feel like I definitely dont need spin any more spin so glad I went with the White instead of Riptide.

• Like 1

Mavrik is a beast. I play the "unfriendlier" SZ version that everyone says is impossible to hit, but to me, this thing is the most forgiving driver I've ever played (coming from a decade with 910 D3 and a brief 6 month stint with TS3). My face dispersion is good but not perfect; when i feel like i hit it high/low on the face or on the heel/toe, the Mavrik seems to produce a useable drive more often than not. It's a game of misses after all!

I am, however, playing one of the "it" shafts of the moment, so ymmv. (Ventus Velo Black) My little brother just bought one off of CPO as well with the Rogue White in it, and while the flight and distance seems great (we've never gotten him on the monitor yet) the sound is noticeably different than my setup with the Fuji. 

Good luck!

Edited by FormerDimer
  • Like 2

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 deg) / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 7x

PING G425 Hybrid 19.5 deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8s (tipped 1/2)

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

IG: @martinmejia14 

20 minutes ago, FormerDimer said:

Mavrik is a beast. I play the "unfriendlier" SZ version that everyone says is impossible to hit, but to me, this thing is the most forgiving driver I've ever played (coming from a decade with 910 D3 and a brief 6 month stint with TS3). My face dispersion is good but not perfect; when i feel like i hit it high/low on the face or on the heel/toe, the Mavrik seems to produce a useable drive more often than not. It's a game of misses after all!

I am, however, playing one of the "it" shafts of the moment, so ymmv. (Ventus Velo Black) My little brother just bought one off of CPO as well with the Rogue White in it, and while the flight and distance seems great (we've never gotten him on the monitor yet) the sound is noticeably different than my setup with the Fuji. 

Good luck!

Whats your brother SS and is he a pro lol?  I'm a little worried about this shaft and me not swinging fast enough at 100....everything i read say its for 'faster swing speeds'

He swings a little faster than me @ 113-15 or so. I'm more of a 108-112 guy. We're both swinging 6x shafts. He's not a pro, lol. We both played in HS and briefly in college and as working adults hold single digit handicaps. 

He should be blowing it by me, but i think the lower spin on the Ventus allows me to keep up with him. So far after 4 rounds driving distance is pretty comparable... we're both hitting it in the 285-310 range. Whoever hits it more pure usually ends up in front. If you're in the 6s shaft and are looking to keep the ball somewhat down, the Rogue should be a good starting point. 

Bombs away!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 deg) / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 7x

PING G425 Hybrid 19.5 deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8s (tipped 1/2)

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

IG: @martinmejia14 

Went from a rogue to a mavrik max with rogue white. I like the shaft. I like it a little better in my 4wood so it may not stay in the driver. I can’t speak for he other models, but the mavrik max sounds better than the rogue and feels better. Distance is similar but forgiveness is better. Max seems to launch in a higher window. I’ve had it about 3 months now. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

26 minutes ago, nlinneman20 said:

Does anyone know the weight of the standard weight that comes in this thing? Would like to order a heavier one before it comes

If you're playing your driver that short you'll already be used to crazy light swingweight. Not what I'd be doing personally. A reasonable shorter length is 44.5. Going under that you're going to be giving up a TON of distance  IMO. You need to swing weight it based on shaft etc so get it on a scale at a shop and figure out how much head weight you need to add and then order that weight. 

4 hours ago, FormerDimer said:

Good luck!

Agree with all of this. Play Mav SZ with Ventus Black 6x and I don't understand how it isn't forgiving. Been gaming it for over a year and nothing can beat its ball speed for me. It's also easy to shape and is super forgiving. 

• Like 1

Depending on the day and time of year anywhere from 95-105 mph swing speed. 

TM M4 9.5* turned up and original Callaway Epic to Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5*. Mavrik Max is forgiving but I wasn’t swinging well so I didn’t love it.

Traded OG Epic along with a few other items for a buddies TM SIM MAX 9*. Terrible driver for me. Went to another buddies local shop and traded the SIM Max for a Mavrik Sub Zero 9*.

Loving this driver. I’m still playing around with setup. It’s currently in the draw setting and turned up +2* with heavy weight back. This driver is plenty forgiving.

I put the Riptide that came in my Mavrik Max in the Epic my buddy is playing. Ive got a Rogue Max, Rogue White and a Recoil F4. All are stiff shafts. The Recoil plays at 44.5*. Not sure on the others but they are longer than the recoil. 

Carry and total distance are longer with the rogue shafts but the recoil is just so easy to swing and more consistent. It came out if a Callaway GBB Fusion driver that came out just before og Epic

The Mavrik SZ is plenty forgiving enough and long. Love this driver.

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

23 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

It is a darn good driver. The entire Mavrik line is. I like the aero head on the standard. The Sub Zero is a beast for those it fits — super long. And If you can’t keep a Mavrik Max in play, time to see a pro. Seriously it may be the easiest to hit driver out there. The Epic Max LS is also excellent — lowish spin, as forgiving as a Ping and feels better IMO. Callaways have improved on sound too. I am liking their drivers now so much more than I did the Epic Flash. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

10 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

It is a darn good driver. The entire Mavrik line is. I like the aero head on the standard. The Sub Zero is a beast for those it fits — super long. And If you can’t keep a Mavrik Max in play, time to see a pro. Seriously it may be the easiest to hit driver out there. The Epic Max LS is also excellent — lowish spin, as forgiving as a Ping and feels better IMO. Callaways have improved on sound too. I am liking their drivers now so much more than I did the Epic Flash. 

My son has an Epic Flash. Mavrik feels better, sounds better.

Now, which of the 2021 releases should I grab in an attempt to replace the mavrik SZ (thank you Jon Rahm)?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

12 hours ago, nlinneman20 said:

Does anyone know the weight of the standard weight that comes in this thing? Would like to order a heavier one before it comes

Mine was a 5g.  The head itself without the adapter weighted around 192g.  I bought the 10g to put in when I cut 1/2" off and now it plays right around D2, the head weighs 197-98g and plays around 44.75"-45".

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

13 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

If you're playing your driver that short you'll already be used to crazy light swingweight. Not what I'd be doing personally. A reasonable shorter length is 44.5. Going under that you're going to be giving up a TON of distance  IMO. You need to swing weight it based on shaft etc so get it on a scale at a shop and figure out how much head weight you need to add and then order that weight. 

Agree with all of this. Play Mav SZ with Ventus Black 6x and I don't understand how it isn't forgiving. Been gaming it for over a year and nothing can beat its ball speed for me. It's also easy to shape and is super forgiving. 

I said I put a ton of weight on my current driver so I'm not playing at a crazy light SW, hence why I want to order the heavier weight to get ahead of things.  Not sure how much more distance I could have by going longer but I do  know i'd lose accuracy.  My Garmin stats say my drives average about 250, I think I swing around 100.  Of course average means i've hit many longer than 250 and many less than 250 as I am not a pro (13 hcp) and have mishits, slices, etc every round.

Even if I could get 10 more yards with a 45 inch, I am not sure its worth the accuracy loss I think I would have.

14 hours ago, nlinneman20 said:

I believe 5grams is the standard weight on the standard Mavrik.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

2 hours ago, jwb10 said:

you shouldn't have

LOL why?  $225 for the Mavrik, I can sell my Rogue for close to that likely if I love the Mavrik, if I dont I can likely sell the Mavrik for more than what I paid...is there anyway I lose on this deal?

I also have an extra shaft laying around so can sell that as a combo with whatever driver I sell or sell it separately.