2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

3M Open 2021

MattyO1984

14 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Your point? I said he hit it way left.......I'm pretty sure he didn't want to go there.....😐

Oh wow haha. Ppl are touchy today. Just bcs I quoted you, it doesn’t mean I was saying you did or said anything wrong! 😂 I was just adding to your post as to what I thought happened.

Edited by TiScape
  • Thanks 1

They lost me with the George Floyd question after the round in the interview with Cameron by Golf Channel…..really?  

Edited by toddba11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

Champ did exactly what he was supposed to do. He stuck to his strategy and got the short end of his dispersion pattern. The result was the worst that could have happened and he had a plan for that. Hitting iron would have brought water into play on both sides. Had he dunked into the water everyone would have been calling him an idiot for changing his strategy. 

8 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Ye reminded me, listen to some Stones tomorrow; )

C311E352-7A30-4039-98CB-49A3D8FB9149.jpeg

May I suggest Angie ,  and wild horses.  Two of the not so commercialized tracks. Those are my favorites anyway. 

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 hours ago, PowerPlayer said:

Champ did exactly what he was supposed to do. He stuck to his strategy and got the short end of his dispersion pattern. The result was the worst that could have happened and he had a plan for that. Hitting iron would have brought water into play on both sides. Had he dunked into the water everyone would have been calling him an idiot for changing his strategy. 

I don’t agree on the dispersion pattern. The water was absolutely in play with driver.  100 %. That’s why he subconsciously double crossed it left. He knew a big cut was wet. And that’s what he lined up for.  He had hit it in water with driver once already this week.  With driver.  On 18. So it was not a wet proof play.    2 iron was around 300 after roll. He could have aimed left rough with it on same lines as driver snd his cone to the right wouldn’t have reached water.  Was there water left?  That I can’t remember.   

I think I agree with him hitting driver because he hits it so well. But.  I don’t think we can claim it was water risk free after he’d already proved it wasn’t.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t agree on the dispersion pattern. The water was absolutely in play with driver.  100 %. That’s why he subconsciously double crossed it left. He knew a big cut was wet. And that’s what he lined up for.  He had hit it in water with driver once already this week.  With driver.  On 18. So it was not a wet proof play.    2 iron was around 300 after roll. He could have aimed left rough with it on same lines as driver snd his cone to the right wouldn’t have reached water.  Was there water left?  That I can’t remember.   

I think I agree with him hitting driver because he hits it so well. But.  I don’t think we can claim it was water risk free after he’d already proved it wasn’t.  

I don't quite follow your thought process here. You don't know whether there's water left which is half of my point and reason why he decided to go with driver, I presume. Water right was in play with almost any tee club for him. Driver takes pull hook/double cross water left out the equation for him. 

We watched so, SO, SO many players hit into the water on 18, watching Sung Kang implode was sad. Tough hole...

M

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

8 hours ago, kody17 said:

Was at the event today. Sat at hole #1 for quite a while to see everyone tee off. Par 4, dog leg to the right, that has a  mound with a couple of bunkers a ways down there. Everyone was hitting driver, and most were carrying it over the bunkers (not sure how far the carry was) except I saw Pat Perez and of all people, Tony Finau come up short and end up in the bunker.

So now, here comes Cameron Champ. Sitting, waiting on the teebox to get the announcement to tee off.  The guy pulls out an iron lol. My buddy and I are thinking, you've gotta be f***** kidding me, there's no way he's laying up. We figured he must be thinking of going the Luke Donald route and playing it safe out to the left of the mound and bunkers into the fairway. Well, low and behold, he wasn't laying up lol.

The guy absolutely smashes it, and everyone is watching the ball head straight towards the mound. I'm thinking no way in my head as I watch it, but yep, he clears the mound/bunkers and ends up in the fairway where everyone else was with their drivers lol.

Point of this story... WOWWW!!! 

Yeah, we followed Cameron on Saturday and he was outdriving Schenk and Hubbard by 20-30 yards with his iron...when he hit driver, it was more like 70 yards.

M

• Like 2

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

40 minutes ago, PowerPlayer said:

I don't quite follow your thought process here. You don't know whether there's water left which is half of my point and reason why he decided to go with driver, I presume. Water right was in play with almost any tee club for him. Driver takes pull hook/double cross water left out the equation for him. 

I read your post to say that driver was safe no matter what.  If that’s incorrect then no problem.  If there is water left it must be short left off the tee ?  How many duck hooks will he hit with 3 iron ? Like I said. I agree with him hitting driver , but I think it’s for different reasons.  I think it’s correct because it’s the shot he saw , you should  never play against your gut.  You won’t  commit if you don’t believe in what you’re doing.  

if he were to lay up , the play might have been 3 -7 irons in.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

That’s some deep, soulful, selections blade ; )

Lol. Thanks.  Wild horses has always been a woefully underrated performance in my mind. It never ever gets play.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 hours ago, kody17 said:

Was at the event today. Sat at hole #1 for quite a while to see everyone tee off. Par 4, dog leg to the right, that has a  mound with a couple of bunkers a ways down there. Everyone was hitting driver, and most were carrying it over the bunkers (not sure how far the carry was) except I saw Pat Perez and of all people, Tony Finau come up short and end up in the bunker.

So now, here comes Cameron Champ. Sitting, waiting on the teebox to get the announcement to tee off.  The guy pulls out an iron lol. My buddy and I are thinking, you've gotta be f***** kidding me, there's no way he's laying up. We figured he must be thinking of going the Luke Donald route and playing it safe out to the left of the mound and bunkers into the fairway. Well, low and behold, he wasn't laying up lol.

The guy absolutely smashes it, and everyone is watching the ball head straight towards the mound. I'm thinking no way in my head as I watch it, but yep, he clears the mound/bunkers and ends up in the fairway where everyone else was with their drivers lol.

Could you describe the ball flight when he hit it?

I've never seen him play live and I've been intrigued by him since he first won on tour. Other descriptions I've read are usually along the lines of a low fade that seems to explode off the clubface at an unreal speed

Edited by the_disappointer
Grammar

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I read your post to say that driver was safe no matter what.  If that’s incorrect then no problem.  If there is water left it must be short left off the tee ?  How many duck hooks will he hit with 3 iron ? Like I said. I agree with him hitting driver , but I think it’s for different reasons.  I think it’s correct because it’s the shot he saw , you should  never play against your gut.  You won’t  commit if you don’t believe in what you’re doing.  

if he were to lay up , the play might have been 3 -7 irons in.  

The funny thing is I am not sure he even hit one driver on the back nine. He was hammering his 2-iron. I agree you have to hit the shot that you think is correct, but his choice just didn't make sense in the context of his round.

12 hours ago, kody17 said:

we were on 11 right behind the teebox (thanks for the TV time, CBS, lol) when he hit his 368 yard drive.  Very cool to see how straight all of these guys generally hit their drivers.  Jimmy Walker hit a baby draw that he claimed he mis hit, and it still went 332.  We later migrated over to 14 tee and then 18 tee at the end, and were standing right behind Cam when he pull hooked his drive to the left.  As soon as he hit it I said "oh s***"

One thing I liked walking around and standing at teeboxes is that I didn't hear anybody being stupid asses and yelling dumb crap.  Maybe I just missed all of that by actually being there vs. watching it on tv.

Edited by Dillio187
  • Like 1

Whatever he did on 18 doesn't matter now.  As far as the history books are concerned CC is 2021 3M Champion.

It's like the guy who scatters all over the place and then makes a 50 footer for par.  Scorecard don't care lol.  Par is par.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

1 hour ago, the_disappointer said:

I've never seen him play live and I've been intrigued by him since he first won on tour. Other descriptions I've read are usually along the lines of a low fade that seems to explode off the clubface at an unreal speed

I followed him Saturday. My understanding is that he hits a 3 iron that is bent 1* strong for his driving iron. It's a very low all flight that just pierces and then climbs. It was pretty amazing to watch. Just effortless power.

• Like 3

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

54 minutes ago, physasst said:

I followed him Saturday. My understanding is that he hits a 3 iron that is bent 1* strong for his driving iron. It's a very low all flight that just pierces and then climbs. It was pretty amazing to watch. Just effortless power.

Wish they had more breakdowns of that swing, rather that showing BDC heaving drives 30 yards left and right. CC possess just effortless power like you said.

9 hours ago, the_disappointer said:

As stated above already, it is a pretty low piercing flight that climbs. I would love to know the ball speed that guy has with his 3 iron. It really is awesome to see.

9 hours ago, Dillio187 said:

we were on 11 right behind the teebox (thanks for the TV time, CBS, lol) when he hit his 368 yard drive.  Very cool to see how straight all of these guys generally hit their drivers.  Jimmy Walker hit a baby draw that he claimed he mis hit, and it still went 332.  We later migrated over to 14 tee and then 18 tee at the end, and were standing right behind Cam when he pull hooked his drive to the left.  As soon as he hit it I said "oh s***"

One thing I liked walking around and standing at teeboxes is that I didn't hear anybody being stupid asses and yelling dumb crap.  Maybe I just missed all of that by actually being there vs. watching it on tv.

I think the only poor drive we saw all day was actually Jimmy Walker's on the 1st hole on Sunday. He left it way out to the right and put it in the trees. 

But in general, yes, it is just super impressive how consistent these guys are with drivers, let alone irons and wedges.

Edited by kody17
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 1:34 PM, caeye0710 said:

I should have put some context that I have no idea if I'm speaking facts. I remember reading about it some time ago. 

Edit: Just read up on it and you are correct. It seems some of the guys sponsored by 3M have it in their agreement that they play in the tournament. 

This is a very bad conspiracy theory post. Should not be here. 

When a player goes to the 3M, chances are he will meet at the pro-am probably a CEO of some global company that may mean a lot of $$$ promotional I ncome on the future for the player. Is not the same to play at the Safeway in a pro-am with a Portland Gas station owner than in the 3M, or the Zurich or the MasterCard with the CEO of BMW or LG. 

Plus 3M can use one of their fleet of jets to charter players all over the world from last week’s event. Try that in the John Deere. 

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

8 hours ago, Strategery said:

Wrong. It was a stupid play that almost cost him, but he was lucky and got away with it. Strategy matters, and we can learn why by watching a near JVDV.

Well I'm going to dwell on the fact that he won and not that he could've lost.  

History will remember him as the winner. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

9 hours ago, Strategery said:

Wrong. It was a stupid play that almost cost him, but he was lucky and got away with it. Strategy matters, and we can learn why by watching a near JVDV.

I agree 100%. Hitting an iron doesn't mean he has to hit the 2 iron. He could have hit a 4 or 5 iron and still easily hit the green in regulation. Zero chance TW hits Driver in the same situation...for very good reason.

He needed 6 to win. Driver brought 7 into play.

I don't recall water being left on 18.  There was that group of trees that he was aiming at but he double crossed and pulled that thing way left.  

I know after the round he said he had no thoughts of hitting anything other than driver as that was his play all week.  But I don't think that was the play there and then.  Take a club that gets you to the fat spot in the fairway short of the trees on the left.  Lay up to about where he was with his fourth.  I don't know if that is 4i, 5i or what but I think that was the "correct" play.  Boring golf at that point is winning golf.