2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

PXG Gen4 Driver Advice

Heatonjm

Hey all, first post. Hope I’m in the right spot. 

I’m wanting to take a flier on the new PXG deals they got going. Wondering if anyone has advice for specs on a PXG Gen4 0811? I was fit over the phone, but can’t put much stock in the suggestions as it was just based on questions like “How far do you hit a 7 iron?”

They fit me for X with the Riptide CB shaft. 60g

I’m an 11 handicap. Swing speed 105-110. More steep than I should be with a driver. My bad miss is a low snap hook. Driver is probably my worst club in the bag so any forgiveness help, I’ll take. Current gamer is a Titleist 915D3 with a Diamana s+ 70 shaft, stiff

Anyone have any thoughts on if the above specs seem right for me? I was leaning towards the XF just based on needing forgiveness. I never have been properly fit for driver so I really couldn’t say what’s right or wrong. 

Edited by Heatonjm

• Heatonjm changed the title to PXG Gen4 Driver Advice

I own several PXG drivers (couple are mine, couple are my boys). I have played dozens of rounds with the Gen4 0811X, XF and the 0211 with lots of different weight settings, adpater settings and shafts.

Based on my experience, I would go with the 0811X not the XF. The X is hotter. The forgiveness between the X & XF is hard to notice imo.

I have several shafts. The best of the lot, for me, are the Hzrdus Yellow Smoke 60gm X and the Tensei Orange 60gm. Riptide not for me.

One more thing I discovered by accident. I would never consider a 12 degree, but I tried my son's (Gen 4 0811X 12) set at -1.5 (promotes a fade) and the shot shape (loft & spin) was surprisingly very good. With the Xstiff shaft and changing the weight ports, I could hit that set up all day long. Just low rising cut bullets that pierce any wind that ran forever. 

I also discovered, the weights put into the ports are not the same on each order. One came with a 10gm, another came with a 15, another came with a 7.5, etc. All the Gen 4  X and XF's I believe come with 2 dummy weights (like 1gm). So, order the weight kit (the one with 6 or 8 not the the putter one with only 2 weights). I found playing with weights is key. You will eventually find a combo that is nirvana. 

Last thing, if you order on line, I believe you cannot customize the weight kit. I got one thru that route. By accident, they called on an order to confirm something and I was able to talk to the rep and customize the weights in another kit I ordered.

Oh, the Gen 4 0811s have 3 weight ports to fiddle with, the 0211 only has the back port. If you're considering the 0811XF for forgiveness, just get the 0211. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FredZollner said:

I own several PXG drivers (couple are mine, couple are my boys). I have played dozens of rounds with the Gen4 0811X, XF and the 0211 with lots of different weight settings, adpater settings and shafts.

Based on my experience, I would go with the 0811X not the XF. The X is hotter. The forgiveness between the X & XF is hard to notice imo.

I have several shafts. The best of the lot, for me, are the Hzrdus Yellow Smoke 60gm X and the Tensei Orange 60gm. Riptide not for me.

One more thing I discovered by accident. I would never consider a 12 degree, but I tried my son's (Gen 4 0811X 12) set at -1.5 (promotes a fade) and the shot shape (loft & spin) was surprisingly very good. With the Xstiff shaft and changing the weight ports, I could hit that set up all day long. Just low rising cut bullets that pierce any wind that ran forever. 

I also discovered, the weights put into the ports are not the same on each order. One came with a 10gm, another came with a 15, another came with a 7.5, etc. All the Gen 4  X and XF's I believe come with 2 dummy weights (like 1gm). So, order the weight kit (the one with 6 or 8 not the the putter one with only 2 weights). I found playing with weights is key. You will eventually find a combo that is nirvana. 

Last thing, if you order on line, I believe you cannot customize the weight kit. I got one thru that route. By accident, they called on an order to confirm something and I was able to talk to the rep and customize the weights in another kit I ordered.

Oh, the Gen 4 0811s have 3 weight ports to fiddle with, the 0211 only has the back port. If you're considering the 0811XF for forgiveness, just get the 0211. 

Awesome info. Thanks a lot. They told me stiff shaft, but I’ve seen lots of fitters jump to extra stiff at my swing speed. Would you go extra stiff?

With your swing speed of 105-110, I'd go with an x-stiff or a heavy (70's g) stiff.  And for me the Riptide wasn't very good for a left miss.  You'll want something stiffer like the Hzrdus Yellow.

• Like 1

Driver:  MIZUNO STX-230 (9.5) - Hzrdus Black GEN4 60/6.0

Fwy:  MIZUNO STG-T.I. 3w (14) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (17.5) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hyb: COBRA F7 Hybrid (20.5) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO PRO 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow (34.5)
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

Yes. Go with the Xstiff. My launch monitor specs always say stiff. I've ignored that for years and gone with Xstiff. I know from actual course play what is optimal for me. 

The Hzrdus yellow smoke xstiff in the Gen 4 0811X is a really good combo. 

You just have to decide on 10.5 or 12. Personally, I'd go with the 12. With your steep swing and miss a snap hook, playing the 12 at -1.5 will lessen the snap hook and may offset the steep swing.

1 hour ago, FredZollner said:

Yes. Go with the Xstiff. My launch monitor specs always say stiff. I've ignored that for years and gone with Xstiff. I know from actual course play what is optimal for me. 

The Hzrdus yellow smoke xstiff in the Gen 4 0811X is a really good combo. 

You just have to decide on 10.5 or 12. Personally, I'd go with the 12. With your steep swing and miss a snap hook, playing the 12 at -1.5 will lessen the snap hook and may offset the steep swing.

Interesting. I would’ve never considered a 12 either. I just assumed 9 by default. So you think a 10.5 minimum? Sorry to make you guys my fitters lol, but this is super helpful. Nowhere to try PXG around me and my club hasn’t been super helpful in getting fit. 

At the end of the day, I realize I’m gambling with this a bit, but the price tag feels worth taking a flier on. Especially coming from a 7 year old driver, feel like I’m going to be impressed with any of today’s clubs. 

Uploaded a swing video if at all helpful. 

Edited by Heatonjm

I have a 0811 XF 10.5, 8011 XF 9, 0211, and 0811 X. Shafts - CB riptide 5.5 50, CB Riptide, 5.5 60, Diamana and Smoke Yellow 6.0 70 gram plus a whole bunch of weights.

0211 feels and sounds good, but I needed more adjustability. 

XFs and X are very close in forgiveness, X face is deeper and lower spinning. My miss is lateral on the face and so the wider face is the XF is better.

My swing speed is just a hair over 90 so I do need some good spin to keep some distance. So far the XF 9 degree with the CB Riptide 5.5 50 gram has been best. The shaft really feels nice for me in the head. 

If I was a higher swing speed I’d go 10.5 X with the Smoke at the proper flex, maybe S or X. But 12 set at 10.5 with a more open face is a sound recommendation. I will say that in this head the weights do seem to fine tune launch and shape. Might consider the $65 for the weight kit too. 

All said it is the best driver I’ve had since the 2016 M2. And I’ve had a bunch in play. 

• Thanks 1

I received the Gen 4 0811 XF a couple of weeks ago. Ordered it because of the price and hoping to try and work a driver back in my bag. 

My swing speed is 90-100 mph and my miss is a low spin and trajectory snap hook. I don’t hit a driver well and have been loving my 3+ wood. 

I agree with going with a higher loft. I ordered the 10.5 but wish I would have ordered the 12 and cranked it down to open the face. That being said, I’ve increased the loft which closes the face and it still feels like it sits open. I haven’t really had any snap hooks but it’s still an experiment in the works. Not sure I hit the driver any further than my 3+ wood which I’m more confident with. 

I wish I also would have ordered the X model but the XF feels pretty good. It’s loud but that just might be to me since I haven’t hit a modern driver. 

Edited by Jmccas
Stuff
  • Thanks 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

Having had both the 2nd Gen X and XF, and the Proto X and X+, I can say that the Gen 4 X is much more forgiving than the G2 and Proto counterparts. I will agree that the G4X launches lower than expected, I got the 10.5 G4X when I had been playing 9* in the previous models, and the launch is comparable.

As for the shaft, while I am fond of the stiff Riptide at my 100 SS with my power fade, I don't think that would be my choice at 105-110 SS with a hook miss. I'd agree with the other recommendations for a HZRDUS.

40 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

Having had both the 2nd Gen X and XF, and the Proto X and X+, I can say that the Gen 4 X is much more forgiving than the G2 and Proto counterparts. I will agree that the G4X launches lower than expected, I got the 10.5 G4X when I had been playing 9* in the previous models, and the launch is comparable.

As for the shaft, while I am fond of the stiff Riptide at my 100 SS with my power fade, I don't think that would be my choice at 105-110 SS with a hook miss. I'd agree with the other recommendations for a HZRDUS.

100% agree with what he said. Go x 10.5 HZRDUS.

• Like 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

19 hours ago, FredZollner said:

I second this 100%! I have both the 0811 x and xf. Only reason I bought the xf was bc I had $90 credit after having the 0811x, gen4 3w, and gen4 2h

X seems to be hotter off the face compared to XF. Forgiveness wise ive honestly not seen any difference at all. XF launches higher almost 2 degrees for me

The weight kit like mentioned is absolutely the key to making this an average driver turn in to the best driver ive ever played. With a counterbalanced Tensei Pro Orange 60tx I have a 20g in the from and 12.5g in the back.

With either Ventus Black or Accra TZ RPG I go with 15g in the front and 5g in the back.... I believe mine came with 10g in front and 2 2.5g in heel and back.

As for OP, at 105 -110mph, the Riptide x-stiff plays softer to flex. Looks like you have a quick transition so I foresee the Riptide being a little wild for you. Go with hzrdus smoke yellow 6.5

Also if you're launching 14.9* according to Rapsodo then I would definitely not go with a 12* driver..... @Heatonjmwhat driver and loft are you swinging in the video?

TM Qi10 9* ... 2024 HZRDUS T1100 60x

TM BRNR Mini 13.5 ... 2024 HZRDUS T1100 70x

TM Qi10 Tour 6w... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

TM Qi10 Tour 4h... KBS Proto Hybrid 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS $-Taper 125 S+

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

14 hours ago, JAM01 said:

I have a 0811 XF 10.5, 8011 XF 9, 0211, and 0811 X. Shafts - CB riptide 5.5 50, CB Riptide, 5.5 60, Diamana and Smoke Yellow 6.0 70 gram plus a whole bunch of weights.

0211 feels and sounds good, but I needed more adjustability. 

XFs and X are very close in forgiveness, X face is deeper and lower spinning. My miss is lateral on the face and so the wider face is the XF is better.

My swing speed is just a hair over 90 so I do need some good spin to keep some distance. So far the XF 9 degree with the CB Riptide 5.5 50 gram has been best. The shaft really feels nice for me in the head. 

If I was a higher swing speed I’d go 10.5 X with the Smoke at the proper flex, maybe S or X. But 12 set at 10.5 with a more open face is a sound recommendation. I will say that in this head the weights do seem to fine tune launch and shape. Might consider the $65 for the weight kit too. 

All said it is the best driver I’ve had since the 2016 M2. And I’ve had a bunch in play. 

Funny. I played the 2016 M2 also, until I discovered the Gen 4 0811X. I tried dozens in the last 5 years but never found one as good as the 2016 M2. Once I tinkered with the 0811X, I found nirvana. You do have to invest the time in selecting the right shaft and discovering the weight port combo and adapter setting though that optimizes your shot shape. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FredZollner said:

Funny. I played the 2016 M2 also, until I discovered the Gen 4 0811X. I tried dozens in the last 5 years but never found one as good as the 2016 M2. Once I tinkered with the 0811X, I found nirvana. You do have to invest the time in selecting the right shaft and discovering the weight port combo and adapter setting though that optimizes your shot shape. 

Curious about your set up. Yesterday I went 2.5 grams all around as a light weight test. Scale had that at under 190 grams without adapter. Hit a few massive drives (for me), but just felt too light. Will probably add about 10 -15 grams to see the results. 

Sorry for the late bump, but I quickly hit my daily post limit yesterday. Y’all are awesome and have been a huge help.

I’m leaning towards the X 10.5 with the HZRDUS Yellow 60g Xtra.

@JoeFrigo thanks for all the above info and the PM. In that above video I’m swinging a 915 D3 with 9.5 degree loft. I wanna say at that time I had it turned up to 11. I’ve recently had lessons for the first time in my life so some swing changes had me tinkering with the settings on that club. I leave it at 9.5 for the most part. I can launch it high from time to time but it’s usually mid to lower flight.

I just need to decide if I’m ready to pull the trigger with these specs or go in for a proper fitting somewhere. 

Again, thanks to all for the insight. This is a cool community. 

- Michael

22 minutes ago, Heatonjm said:

FYI for all. I may have waited too long to pull the trigger. I was pretty much set on the X 10.5 but now PXG no longer lists that loft on the site. Not sure if there will be a restock with that price or if it’s a clearance type situation until they run out of inventory. 

They must be out of that head currently. If it’s Gen4, they will restock. If it’s Proto X, probably not. I just ordered the 0341X Proto fairway woods and noticed they’re currently out of those heads now. I hope I can get my hands on a Gen4 X or XT soon. 

I’d give them a call to ask for any stock they may have that might not be on the site. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 9° - Denali Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° - Denali Black 70 6.0

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Bettinardi Studio Stock 35 Remix

Titleist Pro V1

I just went essentially full-bag PXG. 

I play competitive Super Senior golf, swing speed tops out at 100MPH, and I basically do everything to get rid of any hook tendency in any driver I get.

So here's my WITB ... highly recommend the HZDRUS Smoke Yellow counter-balanced shafts.

35477440_PXGWITB.jpg.f0f2b1cd7f6f608794d2b25152036ef3.jpg

Edited by ricklawr

On 8/18/2021 at 5:24 PM, Heatonjm said:

Interesting. I would’ve never considered a 12 either. I just assumed 9 by default. So you think a 10.5 minimum? Sorry to make you guys my fitters lol, but this is super helpful. Nowhere to try PXG around me and my club hasn’t been super helpful in getting fit. 

At the end of the day, I realize I’m gambling with this a bit, but the price tag feels worth taking a flier on. Especially coming from a 7 year old driver, feel like I’m going to be impressed with any of today’s clubs. 

Uploaded a swing video if at all helpful. 

IMG_8002.MOV

Id do the 0811X with HZRDUS yellow in a 10.5.  Id never buy a 12 degree driver due to resale

• Thanks 1

I can't resist the price and don't really have a backup driver, so this looks like an offer I can't refuse.

Just wondering what others would recommend for me before calling PXG.  

I am 73 and an active golfer... 2 or 3 times a week.  Handicap, according to GolfPad comes out to 9.5, but it's probably realistically around a 10-12.  

I am currently playing a Callaway Epic Speed Max, 10.5, with UST Recoil F2 shaft.  Normally straight with a rather high trajectory.  In fact, I think I may be losing distance because of peak height but that may be due to a setup issue rather than the club.

Can't decide between the X and XF but I can say that I want whatever provides the most distance.  At my age, the need for distance is ever growing.

47 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

I can't resist the price and don't really have a backup driver, so this looks like an offer I can't refuse.

I am 73 and an active golfer... 2 or 3 times a week.  Handicap, according to GolfPad comes out to 9.5, but it's probably realistically around a 10-12.  

I am currently playing a Callaway Epic Speed Max, 10.5, with UST Recoil F2 shaft.  Normally straight with a rather high trajectory.  In fact, I think I may be losing distance because of peak height but that may be due to a setup issue rather than the club.

Can't decide between the X and XF but I can say that I want whatever provides the most distance.  At my age, the need for distance is ever growing.

I have 0211, 0811 x and 0811 xf. All are regular flex. Diamana in the 0211 and Riptide CB 5.5 on the 0811s.

I favor the XF mostly because the X is slightly lower spin due to a deeper face. Both heads are set at 9 degrees. I need a little more spin to avoid drives dropping out of the sky. I also like that there’s more adjustability on the 0811 vs the 0211. 

All three sound and feel good. I’d also say that all three are in the same ball park for forgiveness. If your miss is lateral on the face (mine is) the XF has a slightly shallower face compared to the X. 

2 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

How far do you carry your drives? What is your typical rollout? And what is your shot shape?

5 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

If you're worried about launching high, I would stay away from the XF, its the higher launching higher spinning driver of the group. The X is very forgiving and produces less spin and more distance. But as you said, a lot of it will depend on your setup. You may consider going 12° in X opened up one and a half to 10.5 and finding a lower spinning shaft to pair with it. Opening it up will lower the launch angle and spin. If you want one of the basic shafts from PXG, I'd stay away from the counterbalanced or the diamana shafts. They just don't give me very good results personally. Very spinny! I ordered the Aldila Green in my Gen4 hybrids and they are penetrating, low spin, lots of distance monsters. I hit the driver version of the same shaft when I tested the drivers and it produced nice results. FYI, Aldila tends to plays stiffer so getting into a regular flex isn't a bad option.  Best case scenario,  is to go find a local PXG guy and have them put you into one of the drivers,  if that's an option for you. Good luck, whichever one you decide to go with you're getting a great driver at a great price.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Scootre said:

I've got a fitting Monday for myself and son (high schooler). Should be interesting. We'll see. 

Awesome. Let us know how it goes. 

• Thanks 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick