2022 Golf Budget Dream Scenarios

Cactus Jack

Although my vote would be for joining a club, I always advise people to be very hesitant of semi-private courses. Although you might be considered a "member" you don't get the same membership experience you would if you were a member at a true private club. 

You'll be at the mercy of the club being closed for various corporate outings, the tee sheet being slammed with public play (even with "advanced tee times"), limited availability to go out an play without having a tee time reserved 1+ week in advance, and not to mention public courses frequently have those 5+ hour rounds due to all the public play. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 1:07 PM, golfandfishing said:

Man, join Wigwam and play until you drop. Custom clubs are fine but not really a difference maker unless you have something really unusual in your build or set up. Real golf beats a simulator 100 times out of 100. 

If I were close to wigwam I’d do do that in a second. 

+1, I ate dinner there once, food was pretty good. Private club is great for networking, meeting new people.  

Edited by shoot4par
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shoot4par said:

@Cactus Jack Second question, If you don't mind me asking why would you go to TXG instead of Hotstix or Cool Clubs?  I'd take grass all day over anything when going for a fitting. Also Hotstix is essentially the OG of brand agnostic top tier fittings, why take an airplane ride? 

I’d make it into a trip. I enjoy traveling, and would love to check out Toronto. Also, everyone says fittings are only as good as the fitter, and I can’t imagine a better fitting experience than a full bag fit with Ian. 

However, after thinking things through a bit, I’m going to put equipment on hold. I’m now focused on the club and simulator. For me, it’s not an easy decision. 

The club is awesome for all the reasons discussed. My only hesitation is my lack of time. I’d be able to play early weekend rounds, but mid week would be out. Also, the range isn’t lit so I most likely wouldn’t use it as much as I’d like. What excites me though is the ability to meet folks, get outside, and play in tournaments etc. Another benefit is the Wigwam is walkable, which is very rare in AZ. 

The huge plus to the simulator is I could practice whenever I like. My career is demanding, and with four kids under 15 who are in constant activities, it would be much easier for me to sneak in a 15 minute practice session vs. play a 4-5 round. BUT…it’s not golf and I’d much rather spend my time playing the real thing. The downside is between a GC3/Quad, all the gear, I could play the Wigwam for the next 4-5 years! 

Damn first world problems…

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 8:02 PM, Cactus Jack said:

I’d make it into a trip. I enjoy traveling, and would love to check out Toronto. Also, everyone says fittings are only as good as the fitter, and I can’t imagine a better fitting experience than a full bag fit with Ian. 

However, after thinking things through a bit, I’m going to put equipment on hold. I’m now focused on the club and simulator. For me, it’s not an easy decision. 

The club is awesome for all the reasons discussed. My only hesitation is my lack of time. I’d be able to play early weekend rounds, but mid week would be out. Also, the range isn’t lit so I most likely wouldn’t use it as much as I’d like. What excites me though is the ability to meet folks, get outside, and play in tournaments etc. Another benefit is the Wigwam is walkable, which is very rare in AZ. 

The huge plus to the simulator is I could practice whenever I like. My career is demanding, and with four kids under 15 who are in constant activities, it would be much easier for me to sneak in a 15 minute practice session vs. play a 4-5 round. BUT…it’s not golf and I’d much rather spend my time playing the real thing. The downside is between a GC3/Quad, all the gear, I could play the Wigwam for the next 4-5 years! 

As others have mentioned- the turf on a sim might wreck your hands, wrists or elbows. My son (4) loves TopGolf and we’ve had their summer pass the last 2 years. The first year after 3 or 4 visits my left elbow was hurting constantly.  I had never had a problem before and in college I hit 1,500 balls a week no problem. Finally figured out it was the mat at TopGolf. This year I’d hit maybe 10 balls on a visit and just let my son whack away to keep from having that come back. The turf really did tear me up, so be mindful of that. Would hate to see you sink serious dough into a simulator then cringe at the thought of using it. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:02 PM, Cactus Jack said:

I think you made a wise decision.. Toronto, is a fantastic city (416- Born and Raised..).. but best to be enjoyed outside of any pandemic restrictions.. If you visit next summer there will much more fun to be had.. and we have some fantastic courses available for public play!

• Like 1

Titleist....

All great choices, but I agree you will have more utility from a sim or club membership than new clubs. 

how strapped for time are you? 15-20 mins on a sim per day a few days per week beats having a membership to a club that you don’t use. Check out the sim forum- there are some pretty nice outdoor setups that you could build.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:30 AM, isaacbm said:

Getting fit for irons/wedges is a complete waste of time indoors at txg. Without turf interaction? Driver ok though… Save your money. If you’re in litchfeild, drive 4 hours to Titleist in Carlsbad. 
     Wigwam is awesome.

Why would you get a SIM indoor when you live in Phoenix area?  I have one and I use it much less then I thought I would… 

Get the yearly membership and see how you like it. 

Can’t think of a worse idea then going to Toronto. And I’m Canadian! 
    Better fitters 15 mins from you. 

I agree with this being somewhere that can do outdoor fittings year round I'd love to do an outdoor wedge fitting. But since I'm in Toronto I'll have to go to TXG and get fit indoors but my situation and they're familiar with the course conditions I play. There is talks of them doing outdoor fittings in 2022 but that window is so small and will fill up fast. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

double post by mistake. 

Edited by MattM97

Lefty - WITB Thread

Triple post by mistake. 

Edited by MattM97

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

I agree with this being somewhere that can do outdoor fittings year round I'd love to do an outdoor wedge fitting. But since I'm in Toronto I'll have to go to TXG and get fit indoors but my situation and they're familiar with the course conditions I play. There is talks of them doing outdoor fittings in 2022 but that window is so small and will fill up fast. 

Hey Matt, what you may want to try for next season is find a club/course that has vendor days... You would likely be able to attend by simply signing up for a time slot and then you would get to smash all the clubs specific to that manufacturer.. You could even try reaching out to a particular manufacturer to see if/where they would be holding such events in 2022..

IMO, nothing compares to hitting outdoors with a launch monitor. 🙂 

Titleist....

1 minute ago, dropkicked said:

Hey Matt, what you may want to try for next season is find a club/course that has vendor days... You would likely be able to attend by simply signing up for a time slot and then you would get to smash all the clubs specific to that manufacturer.. You could even try reaching out to a particular manufacturer to see if/where they would be holding such events in 2022..

IMO, nothing compares to hitting outdoors with a launch monitor. 🙂 

If I get into the club I'm looking at that could be a possibility but most of these vendor days lack LH options. I don't want to derail this thread but TXG is working to do outdoor fittings at The Pulpit Club next year but I want wedges now. Well after the new ones come out soon. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Quick update. 

In classic WRX fashion, I've decided to do all three 🙂 . Not quite to the extent I originally planned, but moving forward none the less. 

Clubs: I just picked up a set a second hand set of Srixon's that met my specs from a prior fittings. Shaft, length, lie, grips, all aligned so I pulled the trigger. I'll tweak them as needed. 

Course: The Wigwam kind of ticked me off. We talked about a single complementary round, but was told they couldn't make it happen. Seriously, they just finished over seeding, the course is in rough shape, fees are nominal, but they couldn't squeeze me on? I realize this is a small thing, but small things add up, and it just rubbed me the wrong way. As such, I'm taking the monthly fees I would've paid them, and creating a wife approved monthly golf budget. 

Sim: The $2,500 initiation fee I'm not paying the Wigwam is now going to sim gear. My plan is to piece together my hitting bay first, then grab a GC3 when they become available. I'm in no rush so I'm keeping my eye out for a GC2/HMT unit too. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Quick update. 

In classic WRX fashion, I've decided to do all three 🙂 . Not quite to the extent I originally planned, but moving forward none the less. 

Clubs: I just picked up a set a second hand set of Srixon's that met my specs from a prior fittings. Shaft, length, lie, grips, all aligned so I pulled the trigger. I'll tweak them as needed. 

Course: The Wigwam kind of ticked me off. We talked about a single complementary round, but was told they couldn't make it happen. Seriously, they just finished over seeding, the course is in rough shape, fees are nominal, but they couldn't squeeze me on? I realize this is a small thing, but small things add up, and it just rubbed me the wrong way. As such, I'm taking the monthly fees I would've paid them, and creating a wife approved monthly golf budget. 

Sim: The $2,500 initiation fee I'm not paying the Wigwam is now going to sim gear. My plan is to piece together my hitting bay first, then grab a GC3 when they become available. I'm in no rush so I'm keeping my eye out for a GC2/HMT unit too. 

Clapping Applause GIFClap Yes GIF

Titleist....

On 10/12/2021 at 2:44 PM, Gohigh said:

Im gonna be that pessimistic guy today... lol.

Clubs last 2-3 years if you are lucky, and through any swing changes you make after, the clubs may not fit you so I would say it has the shortest benefit ratio.

Having a home simulator, and having first winter season coming up with the new sim, we will see how much use it gets, but to be honest, tennis elbow and wrist take a beating on the mat on fat shots. I go through days where I might use it for 1-2 hours, and days when my elbows hurt too much, I might just use it to chip and pitch, but the "awesomeness" does wear off fairly quickly. I would say any technology is only relevant or useful for 4-5 years max, so your dollar stretches a bit further there.

Being a member at a private course, I can tell you that its awesome as long as club keeps members to a reasonable number. Sounds like your potential membership comes with multiple courses, and thats a HUGE plus. I play 80% of my rounds at my home club, and after 7 years, I feel like Im ready to see other courses. Between the pool, tennis, and food, the family does get more use out of it, and it seems like your kids would eventually use the membership for themselves too. Sounds like a winner to me.

great guidance here about the club membership.  

my whole fam enjoys our club - pool/golf/social/gym/etc.  

that makes the dues worth every penny.  

My “dream” golf budget this year would include:

- home simulator setup

- multiple golf trips (Scotland and Ireland again, Pinehurst, maybe Pebble area again)

I already have a club membership, and I like my golf clubs and don’t really have much desire for new ones. I might reshaft my irons and update my wedges but that’s about it. 

It isn’t so much about budget for me; it is mostly a time question. I could do all of these trips if I only had time. And I could do the simulator, except we’d have to sacrifice a room in the house or the garage, and my wife would never be ok with any of those options.