Please Mr Jay Monahan....can i go play over there....please!!!!

NoFancyUsername.

17 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

They won't lose their top players. They will only be playing a few tournaments elsewhere. The top players will not be giving up their PGA tour cards for another tour. Perhaps the guys much lower on the rankings will be rethinking other tours if they are not making enough money, getting sponsorships, and good results. The thing about pro golf is that they have to win all their prize money and can lose sponsors if they drop out of the rankings. On top of that, they have a limited amount of time to earn. So, I still support that players should be allowed to play anywhere as long as they play the required 15 tournaments. 

Won’t happen. The tour needs to protect all of their sponsors. Most of the top players play roughly the same schedule.

4 majors…Players Championship…2 WGC(changed in 2022 from the normal 4)….Torrey Pines…Memorial…Riviera…3 playoff events including Tour Chamopinship…That’s 13 of the 15 right there.  Then you have Bay Hill, the Scottish Open the week before the Open is now cosanctioned with the Euro tour and may get more play.  But there are about 30 more events that need players.  And some need to be top draws or the tour declines.

If the info above is correct and the Premier League is mandating that a player needs to play all 18 of their events that would be worse for a player than the 15 requirement now.  Add in the lack of ranking points and likely the inability to play majors? And the likelihood that the new league folds as oil money dries up?

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

5 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Won’t happen. The tour needs to protect all of their sponsors. Most of the top players play roughly the same schedule.

4 majors…Players Championship…2 WGC(changed in 2022 from the normal 4)….Torrey Pines…Memorial…Riviera…3 playoff events including Tour Chamopinship…That’s 13 of the 15 right there.  Then you have Bay Hill, the Scottish Open the week before the Open is now cosanctioned with the Euro tour and may get more play.  But there are about 30 more events that need players.  And some need to be top draws or the tour declines.

If the info above is correct and the Premier League is mandating that a player needs to play all 18 of their events that would be worse for a player than the 15 requirement now.  Add in the lack of ranking points and likely the inability to play majors? And the likelihood that the new league folds as oil money dries up?

Not the top players, however, there may be players lower in the rankings that have been in/out of PGA and Korn Ferry tours that they may give up their PGA tour or Korn Ferry cards if it is more lucrative on that tour and there is guaranteed money. The Super Golf League may still get some popular high ratings players and Greg Norman's new tour may get some players as well. More tours will help grow the game, it just won't help grow the PGA tour and therein lies the conflict. It will be interesting to see what happens because there really hasn't been any competition to the PGA tour until of late. 

29 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Not the top players, however, there may be players lower in the rankings that have been in/out of PGA and Korn Ferry tours that they may give up their PGA tour or Korn Ferry cards if it is more lucrative on that tour and there is guaranteed money. The Super Golf League may still get some popular high ratings players and Greg Norman's new tour may get some players as well. More tours will help grow the game, it just won't help grow the PGA tour and therein lies the conflict. It will be interesting to see what happens because there really hasn't been any competition to the PGA tour until of late. 

My personal opinion is this new league will be less competition for the PGA Tour than the European tour. It will fold quickly if no big stars sign up. And no, Phil doesn’t count. 

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

18 hours ago, grm24 said:

It's already been shut down by the PGA Tour, the PAC and it's players. Please see the verbiage I quoted a few posts above in this thread from an article in May 2021 on this subject from ESPN. That is if you and others actually want to take the time to review prior posts in a given thread instead of repeating yourselves. 🙄

May was 6 MONTHS ago.

Things can change in 6 weeks, 6 days, or 6 minutes.

Heck, my ex could change her mind in 6 SECONDS,,,,,,,,

3 TIMES !!! :classic_laugh:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I have not gone thru all 7 pages here so if someone has already said this sorry.

Does everyone here know who the "real" owners of the PGA Tour are?

It is the players themselves.

The tour is nothing more than a right to play in their events.

Players have to earn that right.

If those 8 players or any player wish to go against the rules established by the other players in the tour they are free to do so.

Its just that they may be kicked out of the PGA Tour and lose their rights to play in the PGA Tour sanctioned events.

Frankly I see it as those eight players wanting to play in another tour and not getting permission from the PGA tour.

They could play anywhere they wish ..... of course they would have to deal with the potential consequences of being kicked out of the PGA Tour.

And again there is no inherent right to play in the PGA or any other Professional Tour you have to earn your way in.

Many on here argue that it is the player's inherent right to play any where and of course that is true.  However it is not their inherent right to play in the PGA or any other tour.

Edited by Golfnuck

On 10/30/2021 at 2:06 PM, Holy Moses said:

Monahan is definitely going to threaten to ban them. He absolutely can at this point apart from the courts getting involved. 

Still do not understand the concept that the court could somehow get involved.

This is not the case of an employer / employee relationship.

Rather it is a group of professional golfers establishing event that they compete against each other in.  The right to get into this restricted subset of Professional Golfers is determined by the PGA Tour and each player has to earn their way in.

I look at it and ask if I declare myself as a Professional Golfer can I use the courts to force my way onto the PGA Tour?

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

My personal opinion is this new league will be less competition for the PGA Tour than the European tour. It will fold quickly if no big stars sign up. And no, Phil doesn’t count. 

We will see, but the PGA tour definitely sees the new tours as a threat and is insecure about it. Otherwise, they wouldn't have banned players from playing other tours and started the 40 million PIP fund for the top 10 most influential (highest social media) players. Actually, winner of the PIP, Tiger Woods might be one of the top candidates to play one of those tours if he can return to pro golf and play at at a decent level, but does not have his A-game to win majors. Those tours just looking for ratings. 

11 hours ago, Naptime said:

If TW plays again I will watch whatever tournament he is playing in.  He doesn't need the money, and clearly values time with his kids.  

image.jpeg.6e04a1667c5cec339011811036f37828.jpeg

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

After reading some comments and Greg Norman’s interview, I have modified my thinking about this a bit.  If the Saudis want to spend some money propping up the Asian Tour, that might be a good thing.  While I’m not a true believer that televised golf necessarily is better for the game of golf (which is what I and about 99.5% of golfers play), in areas of the world that golf, as a sport, is little considered, maybe a prominent Tour would be helpful; better hours for more local programming, more local competitors to increase national or regional pride (don’t we Yanks like shout “USA!”, so why wouldn’t Asian Tour fans?), develop regional talent, and create better international competition.  

Assuming all that being true, I don’t see why the PGAT or European Tour would allow their players to actively compete with their respective that has been developed over decades of time to establish a history, establish sponsorships, to build golf courses, and to provide playing opportunities for the players who are not yet top-20 players or may never be top-20 players.  The PGAT is a team, that it requires 120+ players, not 20 or 50, almost every week, to compete.  Maybe it’s the top 20 that viewers tune in for, but they came from somewhere.  Nobody that I know of is watching the Korn Ferry Tour on a regular basis.  If the Saudis bleed off the top 20 or top 50 players, who is going to watch the PGAT?  Fewer than watch the Tour’s wrap around season I suspect.  Without eyeballs, the sponsors will drop away as will television rights, meaning less purse money, meaning the “not top players” will have less earring potential, less exposure, and fewer fans. With fewer fans, who will care who the future top-20 will be?  Not a very successful business model for the PGAT.

So if the Saudis want to delete their own tour, they are free to do so.  But the Saudis and current top players should not expect the PGAT to cut its own throat and the throats of the journeymen players who are the large majority of the PGAT.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:48 AM, tacklingdummy said:

We will see, but the PGA tour definitely sees the new tours as a threat and is insecure about it. Otherwise, they wouldn't have banned players from playing other tours and started the 40 million PIP fund for the top 10 most influential (highest social media) players. Actually, winner of the PIP, Tiger Woods might be one of the top candidates to play one of those tours if he can return to pro golf and play at at a decent level, but does not have his A-game to win majors. Those tours just looking for ratings. 

The way this pgl could gain a foothold, realistically, is not to try to poach players to leave the tour.

Assuming the pga tour can actually ban players for playing in unapproved events, I can’t see any top players leaving.

What they could do is get Tiger and a handful of top players, probably via huge appearance fees and purse, to put pressure on the tour to play an event or two. 

If like 5 or 6 top guys are offered like 3-5MM a piece just to show up, they might present a unified front and try to get the tour to cave in. 

This would actually be a good thing for the fans. Another big event with top players. 

There isn’t really enough demand or top talent for the 2 tours we have now. Much less 3. 

But there’s room and demand for another top event, maybe more than one. So, get started with one huge event, build some relationships and a brand, and go from there. 

No Laying Up did a big podcast on this. I’m not all the way through it yet, but it’s good so far. The main sticking points for anyone wanting to go to these upstart Tours is will you be banned by the PGA Tour, will you get OWGR points, and will you be able to play in the majors? The new Asian Tour collaboration with the SGL is only the feeder Tour. I’m assuming OWGR points will be given for that. But we can’t assume the SGL will get them, correct? 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – The European Tour is being rebranded as the DP World Tour starting next year.

It marks the end of an era for the European Tour, which was founded in 1972.

DP World, a Dubai-based logistics company, has sponsored the season-ending event on the European Tour which has been held in Dubai since 2009.

European Tour chief executive Keith Pelley said the deal with DP World will nearly double the total prize money on the tour, to more than $200 million from 2022.

Pelley said there will be a minimum prize fund of $2 million for each tournament, adding there will be 47 events held in 27 different countries (click here to view full schedule). It will also co-sanction three tournaments with the PGA Tour next year, the Genesis Scottish Open, as well as the Barbasol Championship and the Barracuda Championship in the U.S.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/european-tour-rebranded-doubling-total-prize-fund-over-200-million

2 hours ago, TM4me said:

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – The European Tour is being rebranded as the DP World Tour starting next year.

It marks the end of an era for the European Tour, which was founded in 1972.

DP World, a Dubai-based logistics company, has sponsored the season-ending event on the European Tour which has been held in Dubai since 2009.

European Tour chief executive Keith Pelley said the deal with DP World will nearly double the total prize money on the tour, to more than $200 million from 2022.

Pelley said there will be a minimum prize fund of $2 million for each tournament, adding there will be 47 events held in 27 different countries (click here to view full schedule). It will also co-sanction three tournaments with the PGA Tour next year, the Genesis Scottish Open, as well as the Barbasol Championship and the Barracuda Championship in the U.S.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/european-tour-rebranded-doubling-total-prize-fund-over-200-million

If I am honest, I am not sure that the development of the European Tour (really not wanting to call it the DP World Tour) might not hugely alter what the Saudi’s will look to do with their events.

I could be completely wrong however, if the Saudi wealth fund is involved, their cash reserves dwarf those of the UAE. Now, I get when we are talking billions it’s hardly a case of poor me, poor me but heck, if the Sovereign Wealth Fund of Saudi Arabia is prepared to throw money into Newcastle United, I am not sure that they will be too put off by the European Tour getting, a relatively speaking anyway, small amount of money from DP World. 

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 10/25/2021 at 5:49 PM, PHILsThemannnn said:

These guys are independent contractors should be able to play wherever

Snort. If they were, why did they have to ask the Tour for permission to play competing events since like forever?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

22 hours ago, Imp said:

When you start throwing money at Slugger White, you have quite a league

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The PGA Tour had to do what Lynch wrote on to keep the top players from leaving for good or for a few events a year with the SGL, but existing Tour events will now see watered down fields which they can’t be happy about. But the argument can be made that this extra series will keep players from leaving and forcing the Tour to ban them which would really hurt many fields.

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

10 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

"These guys are independent contractors should be able to play wherever"

Snort. If they were, why did they have to ask the Tour for permission to play competing events since like forever?

I believe each professional golfer is an independent contractor.

However the PGA Tour controls who is allowed to join their ranks and to play in their events.

The members are asking for permission so they can stay in the Tour but it does not mean they are not independent contractors.

Think of belonging to the PGA just like other professions like accountants or lawyers.  In order to practice those professionals have to be a part of the CPA or the State Bar.  They have to adhere to the rules and regulations as set out by each respective professional organization but the fact they have to comply in order to remain members of the professional organization does not mean they are not independent contractors.

Eventually if a PGA member feels the PGA Tour is too restrictive they are free to leave and play anywhere they want to.  However unless you are a huge star like Tiger or Phil, it is unlikely that you will be able to get into many sanctioned events on a sponsors exemption.

Edited by Golfnuck

4 hours ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

I honestly couldn't tell you

Right. What should occur is not what their current agreement is. At best they get the six tournaments that comprises their current deal. But the SGL wants far more than that. We’ll see what happens. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

19 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Right. What should occur is not what their current agreement is. At best they get the six tournaments that comprises their current deal. But the SGL wants far more than that. We’ll see what happens. 

Pro Golf was never meant to have contracts. I think those guaranteed money events the PGA Tour want to start will basically kill the PGL. 

1 hour ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

Pro Golf was never meant to have contracts. I think those guaranteed money events the PGA Tour want to start will basically kill the PGL. 

Depends how much money is offered

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'd bet that a lot of the players that go offers and/or contracts for playing events on the new tours are looking into the legalities of PGA's ability to block them as we speak. If you are player that got offered ridiculous amounts of guaranteed money, you would definitely be doing your research. Pro golf is going to get interesting in next few years.