Please Mr Jay Monahan....can i go play over there....please!!!!

NoFancyUsername.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:24 PM, tw_focus said:

DJ made more stepping off the plane than he would if he won at Pebble. PGA Tour needs to add a zero to the purse to compete with that.

So an $8M purse becomes $80M ? :classic_ninja:

You know, it's just a rumor. Money doesn't really grow on trees; even in California. :classic_biggrin:

Focus tw. Focus. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by nsxguy
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

18 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

But DJ is not asking to play for another tour.  He's asking to play in an event that he has won before.

If denying these waivers to play in this 'controversial' event (lets be honest, the only controversial aspect of this event is where it is staged) is somehow a pre-emptive strike to keep PGA Tour members in the USA, that's not the right stance to take as far as I'm concerned.  

And if there is no competition to the PGA Tour, as you say, why would the PGA Tour not approve these waivers?

Ya, my post was confusing. I shouldn’t have combined DJ with the pgl thing.

The pgl is not competition in the sense that…I haven’t seen anything indicating it has any players or events or revenue.

But if DJ, or any player, signed up for it, I’d think the pga tour would cut them loose. And I can’t see a player with a bunch of sponsors committed trying to explain he’s joining a tour with no tv contracts. 

This event DJ wants to play is with a competing tour. So, I disagree with you that denying the waver is “not the right stance”. 

And the first sell out is............ Greg Norman. Will get paid to be photographed in his birthday suit in a sports illustrated magazine and will be paid to run a corrupt golf tour...

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/10/27/golf-saudi-private-meeting-news-series-greg-norman/

Edited by benthegolfer
  • Like 3

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 8.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ 7X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

This sounds like a petty angle to get what you want but, to me, would be the easiest way to squash the big names from jumping...

If I were the PGA Tour, I would work quietly behind-the-scenes with the R&A/Augusta/Professional Golfers' Association of America to create a uniform response and simply lay the hammer down on anyone joining the SGL. 

Cite the human right's issues from the Saudis and their new League, say they won't recognize anyone who is a member of the SGL, and that that player is not eligible for all 4 majors and is excluded from the Ryder Cup. That would be the "easiest" hard line to draw and a relatable issue to hide behind for reasoning.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

3 minutes ago, benthegolfer said:

And the first sell out is............ Greg Norman. Will get paid to be photographed in his birthday suit in a sports illustrated magazine and will be paid to run a corrupt golf tour...

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/10/27/golf-saudi-private-meeting-news-series-greg-norman/

Norman?!

I can just see him knocking on TWs door now…

52 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

Im not comparing the PGA China and Saudi's with regards to golf development.  I am highlighting the hypocrisy that the PGA Tour has a developmental golf tour in China, plays a major tournament in China every year, and not a peep is said about it being 'controversial' regarding 'human rights issues'.  

You can't on one side of your mouth support, promote and fund a tournament in China for PGA Tour members and then out of the other side of your mouth tell some of those same members that they shouldnt participate in a non-sanctioned event in Saudi Arabia because you don't agree with their 'human rights' or something. 

All I ask is to be consistent.  Everybody knows this has nothing to do with 'human rights'.  Just come out and say so then.

PGA Tour China provides an avenue for the Chinese to play professional golf--- I see that as a win for human rights of the Chinese.  The Saudi golf league buys elite Pro Golfers and provides no avenue for Saudi's to play.  That's definitely not a win for Human Rights.  Seriously how could any fledgling Saudi golfers compete against some of the worlds best talent?  They can't.   I'm being 100% consistent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Buyout what? Lol

There are no players. No events. No tv contacts. At least none mentioned.

As TM4 said, these other leagues had players, teams, seasons. And then when they actually got TV revenue, it made sense to deal with them.

Why would the PGA tour give them a dime. Just choke them off and see if they can make it. 

Agree.  Nothing to buyout.

But don't think the need TV revenue, etc. to make this float long enough to siphon away enough players to make it hurt.  They have oil money and a whole country that will bend, break and snap in two right out in the street any rule that gets in the way of what they are trying to do.

They tried to poach European football teams too.  Think of the money it takes to get those clubs to the point they were with them.  Multiple billions of dollars.  Paying DJ 1 or 2 mill to get on a plane is nothing.

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Ya, my post was confusing. I shouldn’t have combined DJ with the pgl thing.

The pgl is not competition in the sense that…I haven’t seen anything indicating it has any players or events or revenue.

But if DJ, or any player, signed up for it, I’d think the pga tour would cut them loose. And I can’t see a player with a bunch of sponsors committed trying to explain he’s joining a tour with no tv contracts. 

This event DJ wants to play is with a competing tour. So, I disagree with you that denying the waver is “not the right stance”. 

So why did they let him - along with numerous other members - play there last year?

12 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

So why did they let him - along with numerous other members - play there last year?

I imagine they weren’t happy about it but the pga tour and euro tour have been cooperating for years. Now the pga tour has a stake in the euro tour

The euro tour dropped the event so why help a competitive tour? There’s zero reason to. 

18 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Agree.  Nothing to buyout.

But don't think the need TV revenue, etc. to make this float long enough to siphon away enough players to make it hurt.  They have oil money and a whole country that will bend, break and snap in two right out in the street any rule that gets in the way of what they are trying to do.

They tried to poach European football teams too.  Think of the money it takes to get those clubs to the point they were with them.  Multiple billions of dollars.  Paying DJ 1 or 2 mill to get on a plane is nothing.

Yes, I was talking about what would be required and risked by a top pga pro to jump tours completely 

But you make a good point. The cash is unlimited. 

But let’s say they went nuclear. And offered 10 top guys 100MM each up front and a piece of the action. Billion dollar commitment.

If youre JT, do you take it?

This would be Greg Norman's revenge on the PGA Tour given how they treated him with his World Golf Tour concept which then the PGA Tour stole the idea from.  

I am not surprised if Greg took the job at all... Read the article below and you will see why Greg will potentially take this job. 

https://www.si.com/golf/news/feature-2019-11-14-a-man-and-an-idea-ahead-of-their-time

Edited by ChrisL52188

8 hours ago, DON SVO said:

This sounds like a petty angle to get what you want but, to me, would be the easiest way to squash the big names from jumping...

If I were the PGA Tour, I would work quietly behind-the-scenes with the R&A/Augusta/Professional Golfers' Association of America to create a uniform response and simply lay the hammer down on anyone joining the SGL. 

Cite the human right's issues from the Saudis and their new League, say they won't recognize anyone who is a member of the SGL, and that that player is not eligible for all 4 majors and is excluded from the Ryder Cup. That would be the "easiest" hard line to draw and a relatable issue to hide behind for reasoning.

They've already weighed in.

“The USGA is very proud of its long-standing partnership with the PGA Tour,” said USGA chief executive Mike Davis. “We greatly appreciate everything the Tour does to create a global platform for the game’s elite players, which introduces millions of fans to the game worldwide.”

“As I have made clear previously we have longstanding and deep relationships with the European Tour and the PGA Tour. We are fully supportive of them and indeed continue to provide significant financial backing to the European Tour’s efforts to develop the pathway for men’s professional golfers through the Challenge Tour,” R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers said in a statement.

“The PGA Tour and European Tour have each served the global game of golf with honor and distinction. As it has for many decades, the Masters Tournament proudly supports both organizations in their pursuit to promote the game and world’s best players,” a statement from Augusta National read.

“We are in full support of the PGA Tour and the European Tour regarding the current ecosystem of the professional game. We strongly believe the current structure is both highly functional and in the best long term interest of the game that our members work so hard to grow every day," PGA CEO Seth Waugh said in a statement.

I think in 2022 all 4 majors will basically give the players an ultimatum it's either the Saudi Golf Leagues or the Majors. You ain't playing in both. This will basically shut this down before it even gets off the ground.

Edited by PHILsThemannnn

7 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

PGA Tour China provides an avenue for the Chinese to play professional golf--- I see that as a win for human rights of the Chinese.  The Saudi golf league buys elite Pro Golfers and provides no avenue for Saudi's to play.  That's definitely not a win for Human Rights.  Seriously how could any fledgling Saudi golfers compete against some of the worlds best talent?  They can't.   I'm being 100% consistent. 

Makes sense.  I don't think this thing will even get off the ground. Once the players realize they can't play in majors/ryder cups/presidents cups this will be a non-issue.

7 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

It was a sanctioned European Tour event the last few years. It's no longer a European Tour sanctioned event. It was dropped from their schedule.

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, kasting333 said:

If players are independent contractors then they should be able to make these decisions week to week. This EO would be very relevant. 

With the tour being a supposed player run org and a non-profit I doubt this is an issue they will be strict on with top players moving forward. Phil knew this when he was putting the original match together with Tiger. 

The PGA Tour had to approve the Match with Tiger and Phil and all of the other "match" events held since. The PGA Tour holds the players media and television rights.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Is gonna be so great when Norman sign PR up for pgl for beacoup bucks like

38CE07EC-04B1-4223-822E-2915C3E5AA0F.jpeg

It’s going to be difficult for R Reed in Saudi…on one hand, there is plenty of sand to help improve his lie but on the other hand, the other hand might be chopped off if he is found to be cheating.

• Haha 4

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 10/25/2021 at 6:49 PM, PHILsThemannnn said:

These guys are independent contractors should be able to play wherever

Any of the players can go.  It’s just they forfeit the ability to compete on the PGAT.  It’s their decision.

Obviously, it is not in the PGAT’s interest to assist a start-up rival tour whose goal is to suck out the famous players make the PGAT the next Korn Ferry feeder system.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

But let’s say they went nuclear. And offered 10 top guys 100MM each up front and a piece of the action. Billion dollar commitment.

If youre JT, do you take it?

Tiger is the only one with career earnings over 100mil.  Phil is at 94mil.  Doesn't include endorsements obviously but at some point you and several generations subsequent are set.  Maybe I am looking at it too practically but at some point you have enough money to live how you want to live forever.  Why "work" after that point?  100 mil in the bank draws some nice interest with no additional investments made.

Now, to me, the unknown is what sort of strings are attached to this money from them?  What are the written and unwritten expectations once that check is stroked?  I would imagine the Saudis are somewhere between the mob, Pablo Escobar and the Lord in terms of being able to get to you.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Tiger is the only one with career earnings over 100mil.  Phil is at 94mil.  Doesn't include endorsements obviously but at some point you and several generations subsequent are set.  Maybe I am looking at it too practically but at some point you have enough money to live how you want to live forever.  Why "work" after that point?  100 mil in the bank draws some nice interest with no additional investments made.

Now, to me, the unknown is what sort of strings are attached to this money from them?  What are the written and unwritten expectations once that check is stroked?  I would imagine the Saudis are somewhere between the mob, Pablo Escobar and the Lord in terms of being able to get to you.

It is not how much you make, it is how much you keep.

I am not saying tour players are destitute, but they have a very expensive lifestyle and work expenses. Between, Manager, Coaches, Caddies, Agents, travel expenses, taxes ex-wives and trouser wives etc they have allot of money flying out the door.

Many really do have to keep working. 

Agree with that.  So take the 100mil, show up as contractually obligated, then when you have what you want/need in the bank for the lifestyle you are going to keep, cut the work expenses out.  You don't have to pay for a caddy, nutritionist, swing coach, mental coach, putting coach, agent, personal assistant, etc. if you are no longer grinding.

100mil is a career's worth of earnings.

Let edward jones put a chunk in a target fund and go fishing.  (I got simple needs and a simple life though.  Probably looking at it through my simple lens.)

9 hours ago, grm24 said:

The PGA Tour had to approve the Match with Tiger and Phil and all of the other "match" events held since. The PGA Tour holds the players media and television rights.

The PGA tour didn’t want to approve the match at all, but Phil and Tiger (mainly Phil) got the hype train started early to force the tour’s hand. 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

7 hours ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/09/23/norman-chews-out-finchem-for-stealing-his-world-tour-idea-pepper-to-spice-solheim-cup-greens-300-game

LMAO Norman has hated the tour since the 90s so not surprised he's part of this. This thing will fizzle out faster then his lead at Augusta in 1996. 

They said that about world series cricket..... only for the old guard to bend over and accept, join and swallow their pride.  😉

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

10 hours ago, smashdn said:

Agree with that.  So take the 100mil, show up as contractually obligated, then when you have what you want/need in the bank for the lifestyle you are going to keep, cut the work expenses out.  You don't have to pay for a caddy, nutritionist, swing coach, mental coach, putting coach, agent, personal assistant, etc. if you are no longer grinding.

100mil is a career's worth of earnings.

Let edward jones put a chunk in a target fund and go fishing.  (I got simple needs and a simple life though.  Probably looking at it through my simple lens.)

Matt Kuchar tried that and it did not work out too well.

Assuming you did not invest during your career -  100M PGA earnings would be more like:

100M over 15 years=

Caddy - 8m

Agent - 2M

Travel - 2M

Tax - 40M

Manager- 1M

minus a few others

Work in an ex-wife and now you re down to 20M or less. You got start thinking about a go-fund me campaign. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:44 PM, iBanesto said:

Banning a player from playing on the PGA Tour, would not prevent that player from playing in the majors?

Since the majors are organised by different golfing organisations.

You are correct. The Masters is ran by the Augusta National Comittee---- The US Open by the USGA and The Open is ran by the R&A. The PGA Championship is ran by The PGA of America--- The Players which is considered the "5th major" the only "major" ran by the PGA Tour

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

43 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

You are correct. The Masters is ran by the Augusta National Comittee---- The US Open by the USGA and The Open is ran by the R&A. The PGA Championship is ran by The PGA of America--- The Players which is considered the "5th major" the only "major" ran by the PGA Tour

Yes but if the OWGR doesn't recognize the PGL you're screwed. Monahan has already said that the tour might ban you if you tee it up in a PGL event.

Pretty sure the entire point of the strategic alliance with the European Tour was to squash the PGL before it gets too big. 

The next couple years European Tour purses will increases and there's gonna be almost no reason for golfers to play in this. The PGA Tour also has a minority stake in the ET's media production company so the 2 tours saw this coming from a distance.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/30399738/pga-tour-gets-share-european-tour-tv-part-alliance 

• Like 2