2021 Pelican Women’s Championship (Nov 11-14)

3 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

Did you see Lydia the previous week in Saudi Arabia? She produced a masterpiece to win by 6-7 strokes. If her putter had been as hot at Pelican, she would have done the same there. She is playing some very nice golf. In fact, this tournament was one where nobody got super-hot with the putter.

Yes, I saw last week also..

When I say comeback.. I meant her form, like when she was #1.  If she keeps playing like this, she could challenge #1 spot in 2022..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

Did you see Lydia the previous week in Saudi Arabia? She produced a masterpiece to win by 6-7 strokes. If her putter had been as hot at Pelican, she would have done the same there. She is playing some very nice golf. In fact, this tournament was one where nobody got super-hot with the putter.

Lydia played and putted brilliantly in Saudi...but keep in mind she was playing against a much weaker field.

BUT

A win is a win!

Not the best idea to give away a two-year lease on a Lamborhini to any of the ladies that make a hole-in-one when they have to cover the insurance and it’s a few grand a month

• Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

22 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

😄

I used Serhant's mantra "Always in All Ways", hence including his image.

How's that Afghani event coming along?

You must be young-ish to know that show. I used to watch it pretty religiously this one and LA until Luis came on. I like him but it certainly changed the dynamic. Is Fredrik still married? How is his child? 

With the persistent famine in Afghanistan. The land for Kabul Golf Club is going to be used to plant crops and raise animals as soon as the winter passes, to maximize local resources. Mollie Marcoux-Samaan, said nothing when the Taliban asked for her opinion. Since they never heard back they postponed indefinitely and canceled Hanse's contract. 

5 hours ago, KBong said:

Lydia played and putted brilliantly in Saudi...but keep in mind she was playing against a much weaker field.

BUT

A win is a win!

I am saying that I believe that form in Saudi Arabia would have given her the win at Pelican too. I am  ignoring the increased pressure of playing in a much stronger field and just considering transporting the game from one venue to another.

The two Saudi events have shown the yawning gap that exists between LPGA and LET, no doubt of that!

7 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Not the best idea to give away a two-year lease on a Lamborhini to any of the ladies that make a hole-in-one when they have to cover the insurance and it’s a few grand a month

I don't believe the financial hit is any worse than the taxes on a new car. When they award a $70,000 SUV, they have to pay taxes on the whole amount. I guess the difference is that they own the new vehicle, and can sell it.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

10 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

You must be young-ish to know that show. I used to watch it pretty religiously this one and LA until Luis came on. I like him but it certainly changed the dynamic. Is Fredrik still married? How is his child? 

With the persistent famine in Afghanistan. The land for Kabul Golf Club is going to be used to plant crops and raise animals as soon as the winter passes, to maximize local resources. Mollie Marcoux-Samaan, said nothing when the Taliban asked for her opinion. Since they never heard back they postponed indefinitely and canceled Hanse's contract. 

Yes I am young-ish: 55 is the new 35.

Haven't watched Million $ listing in years, I got tired of their poor negotiation skills: "Seller, drop your price", "Buyer, raise your offer" wow, meet in the middle, great deal, where's my $200k commission? But I'm on call 24/7 and drive an expensive car so I'm important and successful.

Nice to see Ryan Serhant get past his family connection to Bobby K's assassination though - Always in All Ways.

Mollie must have lost the Taliban's contact number, happens all the time, probably the temp running the website is to blame.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

12 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Wait, insurance is not covered?! I thought the idea of leasing a car is pretty lame. Someone is missing the bigger picture. 

3 hours ago, Medson said:

Wait, insurance is not covered?! I thought the idea of leasing a car is pretty lame. Someone is missing the bigger picture. 

“Thailand’s Yoktuan took a test drive herself on Sunday, but said given how much she travels, it didn’t make sense to pay the insurance on it. She didn’t get an official quote, but heard at least $30,000 for two years.

“But I don’t think it’s that cheap,” she said. “I think it’s probably more.””

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/11/14/lpga-su-oh-third-ace-lamborghini-pelican-womens-championship/?taid=61924bcbea82b400012e2f9f&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

24 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

“Thailand’s Yoktuan took a test drive herself on Sunday, but said given how much she travels, it didn’t make sense to pay the insurance on it. She didn’t get an official quote, but heard at least $30,000 for two years.

“But I don’t think it’s that cheap,” she said. “I think it’s probably more.””

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/11/14/lpga-su-oh-third-ace-lamborghini-pelican-womens-championship/?taid=61924bcbea82b400012e2f9f&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Coming into this week, Yoktuan had made $23,991 for the entire 2021 season.

Su Oh doesn’t have a car in the U.S. or back home in Australia. She shares an Audi Q5 rental with Hannah Green when she’s in America and borrows her parents’ Volkswagen CC when she’s in Melbourne.

Another nonsense "carrot" for the LPGA tour.

Many of these LPGA don't make that much money, so having a "TOY" that ya can't even put your clubs into and they pros also travel so much....doesn't make much sense to many LPGA pros to take on the Lambo lease.

I could be wrong but the dealership might be a "take it or lose it (no cash equivalent)" on the Lambo lease.

They are only talking about the Lambo insurance....they need to also consider the taxes they'll pay in the taxable benefit of the 2 year Lambo lease....I guesstimated it in a previous post.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

Mollie Marcoux-Samaan, said nothing

@KBong  . . . well she is scheduled to speak to the media on Friday . . . her sort of "intro" to everyone and perhaps a "state of the game" for the season's end.  There should be stories coming out on Friday from the various golf news sources.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KBong said:

🤣

I'm sure the Taliban's contact # is somewhere under the rock, The Invisible woman is hiding under.😂

😀 I knew you'd react to my post!

• Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

@KBong  . . . well she is scheduled to speak to the media on Friday . . . her sort of "intro" to everyone and perhaps a "state of the game" for the season's end.  

LMAO.....what a JOKE.

Mollie has been in office since Aug 9...so it takes her 14 weeks to INTRODUCE HERSELF?....the LPGA BoD is an embarrassment. 

There have been 8 LPGA events plus the Solheim since Aug 9th....we know Smiley Mike would have been self promoting himself and the LPGA on GC on all of those 9 events.

I know the below glasses are for 3D...but do you know of any glasses in the GVRD to see invisible things on TV for Friday?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yep, IMO she has made a bad mistake, although probably with the best intentions.

When I was a young manager in corporate (but not my first management gig) I took an approach like that for my first 30 days in a new role and company when I did a lot of planning and background research into my people, market and competitors because I wanted to launch the 'perfect' plan. I( thought "great, new role, new company, I can set this up perfectly". I worked my butt off but largely behind the scenes.

On reflection, there were a couple of issues that needed urgent attention (they weren't that important to the business but were to a couple of individuals) and I pushed them off, meaning they had festered by the time I dealt with them and had a lingering -ve effect for some time after. It took me a lot of future effort to win the confidence of those two individuals.

I learnt that you don't need the perfect plan from day 1, it can evolve, run with a couple of key issues immediately and get people believing and grow it from there. You'll also learn faster if you immerse yourself quickly in the business and your plan will be better. People don't follow plans, they follow leaders, of course a real leader with a smart plan that the leader can sell is golden.

I suspect Mollie may be trying to do what I did and I can understand why, particularly in such a public-facing role. 90 days without doubt is far too long. You don't need to be a control freak or perfect to succeed. I suspect her previous role in a more controlled environment allowed her this.

My mistake wasn't a fatal one for me or my business but I learnt and never took this approach again, better to be immediate, lead from the front and solidify your plan quickly as you go. By then your people see you as active and decisive and your plan gets accepted better anyway.

Mollie has created a situation where she now won't receive much leeway if her plan doesn't capture people's approval, everyone interested will be piling in because she has created a flashpoint that just wasn't needed.  It doesn't have to end up badly, she can recover if she's really good for the role and the challenge but she will be under closer scrutiny from Friday with less leeway than she might like.

Good luck to her, business isn't perfect, especially in a sports environment. Let's hope her interaction with the media on Friday is sensational.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Yep, IMO she has made a bad mistake, although probably with the best intentions.

When I was a young manager in corporate (but not my first management gig) I took an approach like that for my first 30 days in a new role and company when I did a lot of planning and background research into my people, market and competitors because I wanted to launch the 'perfect' plan. I( thought "great, new role, new company, I can set this up perfectly". I worked my butt off but largely behind the scenes.

On reflection, there were a couple of issues that needed urgent attention (they weren't that important to the business but were to a couple of individuals) and I pushed them off, meaning they had festered by the time I dealt with them and had a lingering -ve effect for some time after. It took me a lot of future effort to win the confidence of those two individuals.

I learnt that you don't need the perfect plan from day 1, it can evolve, run with a couple of key issues immediately and get people believing and grow it from there. You'll also learn faster if you immerse yourself quickly in the business and your plan will be better. People don't follow plans, they follow leaders, of course a real leader with a smart plan that the leader can sell is golden.

I suspect Mollie may be trying to do what I did and I can understand why, particularly in such a public-facing role. 90 days without doubt is far too long. You don't need to be a control freak or perfect to succeed. I suspect her previous role in a more controlled environment allowed her this.

My mistake wasn't a fatal one for me or my business but I learnt and never took this approach again, better to be immediate, lead from the front and solidify your plan quickly as you go. By then your people see you as active and decisive and your plan gets accepted better anyway.

Mollie has created a situation where she now won't receive much leeway if her plan doesn't capture people's approval, everyone interested will be piling in because she has created a flashpoint that just wasn't needed.  It doesn't have to end up badly, she can recover if she's really good for the role and the challenge but she will be under closer scrutiny from Friday with less leeway than she might like.

Good luck to her, business isn't perfect, especially in a sports environment. Let's hope her interaction with the media on Friday is sensational.

@Rapidcat👏I think your comment (re a new manager & not prioritising a perfect plan, but better to communicate early & often(?)) = sensational & good advice!👏

Edited by JungleJimbo

3 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Rapidcat👏I think your comment (re a new manager & not needing a perfect plan, but better to communicate early & often(?)) = sensational & good advice!👏

Thanks so much, Jimbo, that's exactly it.

Making mistakes is often a great way to learn and it also strips any arrogance away which just makes you a better person (and leader if that is your thing).

I've watched with interest Mollie's approach and whilst we only see the surface stuff, my instincts based on my experience is that she is mis-stepping, at least for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobby said:

I dunno. 

Moving the Dinah shore to tx and rounding up a corporate sponsor?

increasing Pelican purse for 2022 to $2 million?

She’s doing just fine 

I wonder if either of those 2 things she initiated or had any if anything to do with closing those deals - I suspect zero or close to it but happy to be proven wrong.

Riding on her predecessor's coat tails doesn't build HER credibility.

To be fair to her though, I haven't notice her run out and take credit for them.

Will be fascinating to see what SHE intends to DO and then what she DOES.

2 hours ago, Lobby said:

I dunno. 

Moving the Dinah shore to tx and rounding up a corporate sponsor?

increasing Pelican purse for 2022 to $2 million?

She’s doing just fine 

I believe I saw a Zoom/video where Beth Ann Nichols said the Chevron deal was in the works long before Mollie took office.

I wouldn't be surprised that the Pelican decision to increase the purse was also before Mollie took office too.

4 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

You mentioned the word "PLAN" nine times.

IMO...you missed out on a critical word....EXECUTION.

One can plan all they want...but if you don't execute....you'll miss delivering the RESULTS...and at the end of the day....it's all about the RESULTS & NUMBERS.

For me...I'd rather for myself and the team....execute and over deliver results and under plan VS. over plan and under execute & deliver.

I don't think there are many or any company. organization. owners & investors that are willing to accept under execution/results and overplanning...I think they all would prefer over execution/results and under planning.

Ideally...there's just the right amount of planning to execute and over deliver in results.

Just as in golf...I can plan and prepare all I want...but come game time...if I can't execute and deliver results to win a trophy or avoid a trunk slam....then all the planning and preparation is all for not.

At the end of the day....ya can't over think things.

Edited by KBong

1 hour ago, KBong said:

You mentioned the word "PLAN" nine times.

IMO...you missed out on a critical word....EXECUTION.

One can plan all they want...but if you don't execute....you'll miss delivering the RESULTS...and at the end of the day....it's all about the RESULTS & NUMBERS.

For me...I'd rather for myself and the team....execute and over deliver results and under plan VS. over plan and under execute & deliver.

I don't think there are many or any company. organization. owners & investors that are willing to accept under execution/results and overplanning...I think they all would prefer over execution/results and under planning.

Ideally...there's just the right amount of planning to execute and over deliver in results.

Just as in golf...I can plan and prepare all I want...but come game time...if I can't execute and deliver results to win a trophy or avoid a trunk slam....then all the planning and preparation is all for not.

At the end of the day....ya can't over think things.

In a later post I stated this: "Will be fascinating to see what SHE intends to DO and then what she DOES."

Does = the execution. You don't need over-planning that paralyses activity but you do need a strategy and a plan otherwise what are you executing on? I agree with you re the "right amount of planning" - a plan without execution is useless. You don't want a bunch of headless chooks running around in all directions though.

As the leader of an organisation you need both and a plan with stretch targets is almost always better - BHAG. You can't have people running around executing what they want, you need a strategy reflected in a plan and execute on that to concentrate resource effort to greatest effect.

So far in 90 days we have yet to see a plan or execution from HER efforts. At least the 2 deals in the pipeline weren't derailed by a new head coming in and putting everything on hold, I've seen that before, so fair play to Mollie for that. Maybe lots of internal communication is happening and her people are excited by her vision and ideas but just as importantly will be how she engages with the other stakeholders (players, sponsors, venues, media and of course the public).

I'm really looking forward to Friday now. If she presents a good plan and can convey her vision and then gets busy executing to that then well and good and we as the public have an exciting engagement.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1