2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i59 review

HoganHO

I got fitted into these last week and gained about 8 to 10 yards per iron at standard loft from my 718 AP2s. Feel is incredible and the numbers were unmatched. Absolutely everything I have been looking for in a set of irons. Club head size is about perfect for every single type of shot you need to make if you shape the ball more with your irons. These and the P790 were nearly even for me, but I felt I could work the club head a little easier with the i59. Couldn't be more excited. Playing around a 7 handicap at the moment for what it's worth. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mobius said:

I’ve been playing my set since December: I love them! Turf interaction, spin control, and front to back dispersion are all top notch. Initially I though I was hitting them about a full club shorter than my old AP3’s, but arccos says I hit them just as far. Zero complaints from me.

I think they have about a 2 degree loft difference from AP3s also  (if you picked up the standard specs). Hit em well!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Intimidating at first because of size. The 223 are larger. After the 3rd range session, I grew accustomed to i59 compactness. Very forgiving off toe, crisp but not too crisp feel in graphite, traditional spin and good height - high. Have these lofted 1 degree strong in 780ES, which may produce too much spin. I have some MMT85 and am likely to reshaft to bring down launch and spin a bit, hoping to gain  a few yards and get them down for windy days - they are higher than the 223 in Recoil 95.

Surprised I can hit these well. Did not know they were the iBlade replacement. Ping seems correct about the i210-like MOI. They seem very consistent. Can hit slight draws and fades on command. Haven't gone for extremes.

I paired these up with Glide Forged Pro Wedges in 49S, 54S ( a 56 bent strong to get the bounce I want), and 59S, then had Ping put a back grind on the 54 and a half moon grind (C Grind) in the 59 Eye Toe. Excellent wedges with soft feel and more compact than my Artisans, which surprised me. I set them up like my Artisans except for the beveled leading edge (which Ping won't do).  I do well with 8-9 of bounce with grinding. Don't sit on these wedges - they are surprising. Enjoy.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 2

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

4 hours ago, SwingMan said:

Intimidating at first because of size. The 223 are larger. After the 3rd range session, I grew accustomed to i59 compactness. Very forgiving off toe, crisp but not too crisp feel in graphite, traditional spin and good height - high. Have these lofted 1 degree strong in 780ES, which may produce too much spin. I have some MMT85 and am likely to reshaft to bring down launch and spin a bit, hoping to gain  a few yards and get them down for windy days - they are higher than the 223 in Recoil 95.

Surprised I can hit these well. Did not know they were the iBlade replacement. Ping seems correct about the i210-like MOI. They seem very consistent. Can hit slight draws and fades on command. Haven't gone for extremes.

I paired these up with Glide Forged Pro Wedges in 49S, 54S ( a 56 bent strong to get the bounce I want), and 59S, then had Ping put a back grind on the 54 and a half moon grind (C Grind) in the 59 Eye Toe. Really excellent wedges with soft feel and more compact than my Artisans, which surprised me. I set them up like my Artisans except for the beveled leading edge (which Ping won't do).  I do well with 8-9 of bounce with grinding. Don't sit on these wedges - they are surprising. Enjoy.

So far, the biggest complaint I’ve read is second hand stories of players saying the short irons are too hot/don’t spin enough. What has been your experience? (Or anyone else willing to share.)

3 hours ago, JDCON said:

So far, the biggest complaint I’ve read is second hand stories of players saying the short irons are too hot/don’t spin enough. What has been your experience? (Or anyone else willing to share.)

Haven't found that to be the case but as conditions improve and I play more as weather and conditions are now more favorable, will offer feedback.

• Like 2

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

3 hours ago, JDCON said:

Nope.  Drop and stop, much better results spin wise than alot of the higher flying/lower spin options out there.  Lower flight, higher spin...8/9/W favorite clubs from the i59 set...

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

12 minutes ago, WarEagleGolf said:

Nope.  Drop and stop, much better results spin wise than alot of the higher flying/lower spin options out there.  Lower flight, higher spin...8/9/W favorite clubs from the i59 set...

That’s good to hear. I’ve had a set on order for a while and patiently waiting for an arrival. 

1 hour ago, WarEagleGolf said:

That's one reason I am moving to another shaft - too much spin and launch in the 780ES. Nice shaft, maybe I needed an F4. But MMT85 is going in, I believe.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

4 hours ago, JDCON said:

I'm on the low side swing speed wise....these do spin less than my s56 I'm coming from. But, it's a good thing losing that much spin. I no longer club up excessively, into the wind. These stop just 🙂 

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Playing my best golf with these in the bag. 

They stop on the greens, great spin. In AZ my greens are almost always rock hard/fast and if you can't spin the ball they just don't hold the greens that well. These work!

Grooves need to be soaked with a wet...wet towel to clean them.

Compact, great feel...and I agree with the MOI comparable with the i210. It does not seem possible, but it is. I played the i210s prior and at first when you look at the head size of the i59 your mind says "no way are these as forgiving as the i210s" but they are. 

Distance...yes they shorter than other clubs, but once you know how far you hit these....they are incredibly consistent. And, distance seems like a silly thing to discuss with lofts all over the place nowadays.

Hit the green, hold the green, fly a distance I expected....all boxes checked off. 

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

how do these compare to P790

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I may actually prefer the crisp feel of the Pings to the 223s. I need to have them both shafted in a similarly weighted shaft or same model, and then compare. Putting MMT85 in the Pings, waiting on another set of MMT85 for the 223. Mitsu seems to have a supply chain issue.

As to expense of the Pings, they cost the same as a custom builder would charge.

Edited by SwingMan

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Order for 5-PW with Recoil ES 780 was placed 18 March with a tentative ship date of 19 April.  

Shipped 27 April and out for delivery today 30 April.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

On 4/24/2022 at 8:12 PM, Kball10 said:

I am currently gaming T100s, but really am interested in these.  I hit them the other day at PGA TOUR SUPERSTORE and really liked them.  I don’t think I was losing much of any distance.  How do you think these compare from a forgiveness perspective?

I had t100s before switching to i59 this season. I59 is much more forgiving. I feel like I can hit them anywhere on the face compared to t100s. They are half a club shorter and spin more but that is better for hitting greens anyways. T100s would give me knuckle balls and not hold firm greens well. I had project X LZ 6.5 in t100s and project X LS 6.5 in i59.

Edited by Lloyd_Christmas29

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

2023 T100 4-PW C-taper 125S+

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

40 minutes ago, jason1998 said:

Are your i59 standard spec and still, you think a half club shorter?

If they are standard spec that would make sense, since the T100s would be more comparable to the i59 power spec.

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

I don't have a lot of rounds in with the i59's yet(<10 rounds), but comparing them to the Z785's I played the last 2 years, they are much more forgiving.  I've hit shots all over the face, and my results are far less bad than what I would have gotten before.  

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

• 2 months later...

Any updates on this? I know this is wrx so possible everyone has moved on lol.  I just ordered a set coming from jpx 921 tour with the same shaft, wondering if anyone else has made a similar jump. 

I'm excited to get them I played s55 for years and they were one of my favourite irons ever. Anyone who has played both find them similar? Got I blades after the s55 and did not like them (turf interaction specifically). 

2 hours ago, soap1984 said:

Any updates on this? I know this is wrx so possible everyone has moved on lol.  I just ordered a set coming from jpx 921 tour with the same shaft, wondering if anyone else has made a similar jump. 

I'm excited to get them I played s55 for years and they were one of my favourite irons ever. Anyone who has played both find them similar? Got I blades after the s55 and did not like them (turf interaction specifically). 

I’ve been playing a set this year… i don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Best irons I’ve ever played. Coming from mp18 and mb101

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soap1984 said:

Should've kept the S55s. I can't get rid of mine.

You'll enjoy these.

• Like 1

Thanks no idea when I'll get them; they said 2-3 weeks so we will see. I think I kept the s55 I usually don't get rid of irons but they were pretty beat up; might be at my mom's house in the garage. 

Feedback seems good and I've always played best with ping so keeping my fingers crossed. The 921 tour are great irons I'm only buying the i59 because I'm searching for the s55 reboot

Just picked up a set of these with DG S300 shafts, which I’ve played for years. I’m finding the i59’s to be a little higher spin for me. 7 iron SS in 92 mph range. Love the feel and consistent distance in the i59 head, but am interested in playing with a different shaft. 

Any recommendations for a similar weight shaft that would bring the launch and spin down a bit?

1 hour ago, Dyno4 said:

Just picked up a set of these with DG S300 shafts, which I’ve played for years. I’m finding the i59’s to be a little higher spin for me. 7 iron SS in 92 mph range. Love the feel and consistent distance in the i59 head, but am interested in playing with a different shaft. 

Any recommendations for a similar weight shaft that would bring the launch and spin down a bit?

These are high spin heads for sure… I would consider a ball change 

• Like 1

If anyone is interested I did receive mine last week was only about a 10 day turnaround from ping on a new set. 

They spin a bit more for me as well but not seeing much distance loss so far, flying a little higher. Like the feel and these are working much better than my I blade experiment and my limited run with the t100s.