This is what drives me crazy about Mizuno

braincramp52

7 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I have to admit the wood offering doesn't bug me as much as when they came out with the 921 forged.  They made a 3 and 4 iron but it was too much effort to make them at least down to a PW. That's just stupid. 

I'm being very pedantic here but the 3 and 4 iron was in the MP-20 HMB. They made a 4 and 5 iron for lefties in the JPX 921 Forged. Both were parts of blended "SEL" sets. 

I'm with you, though. I would've loved to get the 921 Forged. Instead I went with 921 SEL and they worked out -- but if they hadn't, I'd have had to spend new-iron money to buy a used 919 Forged set and get them reshafted and bent to my specs.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

46 minutes ago, eric61 said:

I'm being very pedantic here but the 3 and 4 iron was in the MP-20 HMB. They made a 4 and 5 iron for lefties in the JPX 921 Forged. Both were parts of blended "SEL" sets. 

I'm with you, though. I would've loved to get the 921 Forged. Instead I went with 921 SEL and they worked out -- but if they hadn't, I'd have had to spend new-iron money to buy a used 919 Forged set and get them reshafted and bent to my specs.

My bad. You're right. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I have a lot of sympathy for you lefty folks. It has to suck.

But, I think questioning Mizuno is a fools errand. They clearly don't act like other companies and have an agenda that is difficult to suss out. My only guess is that they really only care about the Asian and European markets. Anything they happen to sell in the US is just a bonus. 

For woods in particular, it's a total mystery. I mean, Mizuno has been making great woods for years - virtually no one plays them. They barely market them. I wonder why they bother. 

If they wanted to make a big splash they could. For some reason they decide not to. Perhaps they know something about business that escapes the other OEMs. 

Edited by jholz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

13 minutes ago, jholz said:

I have a lot of sympathy for you lefty folks. It has to suck.

But, I think questioning Mizuno is a fools errand. They clearly don't act like other companies and have an agenda that is difficult to suss out. My only guess is that they really only care about the Asian and European markets. Anything they happen to sell in the US is just a bonus. 

For woods in particular, it's a total mystery. I mean, Mizuno has been making great woods for years - virtually no one plays them. They barely market them. I wonder why they bother. 

If they wanted to make a big splash they could. For some reason they decide not to. Perhaps they know something about business that escapes the other OEMs. 

Well said. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Well honestly it could be worse. We could be right-handed. Then I wouldn't know what to choose. Those poor buggers.

• Haha 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

7 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

Well then it's like someone else said, just don't make ANY. Mizuno overall is a billion dollar company that acts small. 

7 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Mizuno is, as I said, a TINY player in the woods department compared to TM, Cally, Ping and Titleist...

You're only seeing what you want to see rather than reality at this point...

This ^^^

It is a large company, but it is in a lot of sports, and also makes sports clothes and shoes (and BTW, I think something like 2/3s of it's income comes from the Japanese market, the other 1/3 from the rest of the world). The piece of its business that is golf is certainly much smaller than the TM and Callys of the world. And it is largely known for irons. While they make them, I see very, very few Drivers or FWs on golf courses. In fact, they even make balls - I'm not certain I've ever seen a Mizzy golf ball being gamed.

In terms of the golf industry, Mizuno is not really a big player in terms of sales (outside of Japan). Their marketing and advertising budget (for golf) is a fraction of those of the big guys, and they sponsor (at best) a handful of pros. They don't make any cheap clubs, and don't even pretend to make clubs for beginners or the average weekender that plays a couple times a year. In golf, they aren't a giant, they are a niche OEM that mostly makes expensive irons for better than average players. 

Further, since a considerable part of their market is Japan, consider this - Japan has the second to lowest percentage of lefties in the world (only China is lower) - 4.70% of the population (In America it is 13.10% - almost three times as many.) Part of this is cultural (in both China and Japan - for many years lefties in those cultures were actually looked down on. It was considered bad manners to hold chopsticks in the left hand. This still exists (as a subtle undercurrent) today. Being a lefty is considered a bit "abnormal" - there's almost a stigma attached to it. Many parents will deliberately force young children that are naturally left handed to learn to become right handed.

It is complicated, and at least partially cultural - but it does not surprise me at all that Mizzy doesn't put much emphasis on lefty clubs. Don't have the stats, but I'd expect half the clubs they make don't have a left version. 

Just throwing out some thoughts here ...

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

7 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

This ^^^

It is a large company, but it is in a lot of sports, and also makes sports clothes and shoes (and BTW, I think something like 2/3s of it's income comes from the Japanese market, the other 1/3 from the rest of the world). The piece of its business that is golf is certainly much smaller than the TM and Callys of the world. And it is largely known for irons. While they make them, I see very, very few Drivers or FWs on golf courses. In fact, they even make balls - I'm not certain I've ever seen a Mizzy golf ball being gamed.

In terms of the golf industry, Mizuno is not really a big player in terms of sales (outside of Japan). Their marketing and advertising budget (for golf) is a fraction of those of the big guys, and they sponsor (at best) a handful of pros. They don't make any cheap clubs, and don't even pretend to make clubs for beginners or the average weekender that plays a couple times a year. In golf, they aren't a giant, they are a niche OEM that mostly makes expensive irons for better than average players. 

Further, since a considerable part of their market is Japan, consider this - Japan has the second to lowest percentage of lefties in the world (only China is lower) - 4.70% of the population (In America it is 13.10% - almost three times as many.) Part of this is cultural (in both China and Japan - for many years lefties in those cultures were actually looked down on. It was considered bad manners to hold chopsticks in the left hand. This still exists (as a subtle undercurrent) today. Being a lefty is considered a bit "abnormal" - there's almost a stigma attached to it. Many parents will deliberately force young children that are naturally left handed to learn to become right handed.

It is complicated, and at least partially cultural - but it does not surprise me at all that Mizzy doesn't put much emphasis on lefty clubs. Don't have the stats, but I'd expect half the clubs they make don't have a left version. 

Just throwing out some thoughts here ...

I understand totally Bob, but it's still frustrating and about once every 2 years I need to rant about it.😄

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

I personally love the split set of the 921 sel.  They made the forged in the 919 and 900.  Nice of them to switch it up.  Also it’s the 4 and 5 iron.  They don’t make any 3 irons in the 921 series.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

I can understand you OP.  Speaking from a right handed perspective, I can see why you lefties would feel the way you do.  You want to give your money to a company you have had great experience with and trust and they make it difficult.  While I can sort of understand why they do it, I can also totally support why lefties want to be heard, I do not think it's too much to ask honestly and anyone who is right handed and has something to say.. check yourself.  LOL  We are quite fortunate!!!  

Though, your used lefty stuff does come at much better prices!  😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

47 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

This is true, sometimes. But if you get 3 or more lefties on ebay, the price can get stupid quick. But also because it's not always available to find, you could pay a premium if you really want it.

You could also be the only dude around who even cares and get it for a dime. 🤣

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

1 hour ago, Nixhex524 said:

I can understand you OP.  Speaking from a right handed perspective, I can see why you lefties would feel the way you do.  You want to give your money to a company you have had great experience with and trust and they make it difficult.  While I can sort of understand why they do it, I can also totally support why lefties want to be heard, I do not think it's too much to ask honestly and anyone who is right handed and has something to say.. check yourself.  LOL  We are quite fortunate!!!  

Thanks for understanding our dilemma!!😅 It is 1000 times better than when I started playing 35 years ago, thank god!

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

2 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

Thanks for understanding our dilemma!!😅 It is 1000 times better than when I started playing 35 years ago, thank god!

I'm right handed but I preferred batting left. I didn't know lefty was so minor because the Sears catalog had my starter set in either. When offered the chance, I chose lefty (30 years ago). It wasn't until I went to add clubs at the local Nevada Bob's that I learned the harsh reality of my decision.

As a goody foot skater/surfer, I feel more comfortable on that side of the ball anyway. But the lack of hardware has been a challenge.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Playin partner is a lefty scratch player.... I've heard all the whining

My only fix is that larger companies should do runs of all their top gear in lefty but in less quantity.... meaning the stores/dealers wont have any of the rare ones but you can order it and when they run another batch you'll get yours, so it'll take longer but at least its a compromise.  If that dont work I got nothin...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

On 12/6/2021 at 2:28 PM, bobfoster said:

I'm not certain I've ever seen a Mizzy golf ball being gamed.

Buddy of mine from my old regular group got a set of MP20s a while back and there were a few sleeves of them in the box. 

None of us knew they even made balls. After hitting them, it was clear why. 

43f.gif

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

2 hours ago, skraly said:

Man, do I remember the righties screaming to high heaven when the Titleist 931 PM’s came out in LH only!

Yea, I remember that too. It wasn't real funny then.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

38 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Buddy of mine from my old regular group got a set of MP20s a while back and there were a few sleeves of them in the box. 

None of us knew they even made balls. After hitting them, it was clear why. 

43f.gif

Jeez. That is really good to know. I knew they made them, but don't think I've ever seen them in a retail big box (then again, maybe they are, it just never occurred to me to look - but I'm a Mizzy iron fanatic so I suspect I would have noticed). After this thread, I was thinking about ordering a box online just for sh*ts and giggles, but from what you say I won't bother. 

Odd that they aren't that good, because they are actually relatively expensive - ranging from around $25 to $40. Balls at the mid-to-high end of the price spectrum have a lot of competition. 

6 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

Jeez. That is really good to know. I knew they made them, but don't think I've ever seen them in a retail big box (then again, maybe they are, it just never occurred to me to look - but I'm a Mizzy iron fanatic so I suspect I would have noticed). After this thread, I was thinking about ordering a box online just for sh*ts and giggles, but from what you say I won't bother. 

Odd that they aren't that good, because they are actually relatively expensive - ranging from around $25 to $40. Balls at the mid-to-high end of the price spectrum have a lot of competition. 

I love obscure, major OEM equipment, including balls - so when Mizuno announced the new balls I was ready to adopt them.

Then I played a sleeve. The RB Tours. Yikes! They've got some work to do.

Gen 3 or 4 might be the cat's a**, who knows?

or
or

1 hour ago, jholz said:

I love obscure, major OEM equipment, including balls - so when Mizuno announced the new balls I was ready to adopt them.

Then I played a sleeve. The RB Tours. Yikes! They've got some work to do.

Gen 3 or 4 might be the cat's a**, who knows?

If you have a moment, what did you find wrong? Distance, spin, feel, workability? 

Just Googled reviews. The Golf Monthly one started with "The Mizuno RB Tour X ball is an excellent option for a relatively small group of golfers." Spit wine out of my nose laughing. That pretty much sums up everything Mizzy golf makes - "an excellent option for a relatively small group of golfers." 🤣

What was your experience?

22 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

If you have a moment, what did you find wrong? Distance, spin, feel, workability? 

Just Googled reviews. The Golf Monthly one started with "The Mizuno RB Tour X ball is an excellent option for a relatively small group of golfers." Spit wine out of my nose laughing. That pretty much sums up everything Mizzy golf makes - "an excellent option for a relatively small group of golfers." 🤣

What was your experience?

I know this is probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I think the engineer who designed the Mizuno balls was also responsible for designing the MP30 irons. Super great looking and feeling, but inevitably about 30 yards short on every swing.

My best attempt at summarizing them would be something along the lines of "squishy" - like hitting a marshmallow. They absorbed impact rather than responding to it.

or
or

On 12/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, lefthack said:

Lefty woods are not overly common, but anything but a 3/5 is a total crap shoot.

But to make a 3 and not make a 5? 🤣 It's tough to justify making something for 7% of the golfing market.

I mean, since the other 93% don't know it's not for them and still buy it, I get where Mizuno is coming from.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°

TaylorMade Stealth 3HL 16.5°

Cobra LTDx 7W 21.5°

Callaway Rogue CF18 5H 24°

Callaway Rogue CF18 6i-PW

Cleveland CBX2 49° + 54°, CBX Full Face 58°

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black #3

Vice Pro

Arccos