2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2022 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

15 minutes ago, HankScorpio said:

Just imagine the pressure Rose Zhang will be under when she decides to turn pro.  Hope she will have a support system around her to help her mentally because it will be a grind once you get on tour.  

Well said.  There hasn't been any indication that Rose will turn pro early, but I'll be waiting patiently to see if she will entertain 2022 LPGA Q-School.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

That's why it's smart to stay in college and earn a degree as a backup plan. 

I kinda disagree here. Based on some buddies experiences.  If you are good enough to qualify for the pros you should take advantage of it, I had a buddy stay to finish his degree after winning a rose bowl, then ended up injured and went undrafted, still played 8 years in the NFL and 4 in the CFL. A second buddy did the same thing, ended up drafted in the 5th a year later instead of his predicted 2nd which is a significant amount of money. There is a balancing act as well, if you can come out with some sponsorships and compete even for a few years you can make money before returning to school if you end up not living up to the college hype.

Though I guess with NIL deals now it might not be so cut and dry with where earnings can come from. Gets more complicated now, as I wouldnt be surprised for some kids to end up making more in college than they would struggling on tour depending on some sponsorship deals.

Edited by Tasals
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tasals said:

I kinda disagree here. Based on some buddies experiences.  If you are good enough to qualify for the pros you should take advantage of it, I had a buddy stay to finish his degree after winning a rose bowl, then ended up injured and went undrafted, still played 8 years in the NFL and 4 in the CFL. A second buddy did the same thing, ended up drafted in the 5th a year later instead of his predicted 2nd which is a significant amount of money. There is a balancing act as well, if you can come out with some sponsorships and compete even for a few years you can make money before returning to school if you end up not living up to the college hype.

I guess I would just rather stay in "school mode" while coming outta of high school or home schooling. I feel if my dreams were crushed at 18 or 19 it might be tough to get back into a good mindset to "restart" an education.

If you're chasing sponsor money, then sure go for it, hope they get some good ones, cause missing cuts won't be paying the bills. Even a bench warmer in the NFL makes 660k a year guaranteed. Not so much guarantee for a golfer, especially the ladies.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Tasals said:

Though I guess with NIL deals now it might not be so cut and dry with where earnings can come from.

I think the temptation is much greater on the men's side of sports compared to the women's side because of the bigger potential payouts.  I agree that there is the risk of getting injured (especially in football) if you choose to stay vs. cashing in now while your stock is high.  That is why so many kids just go for one and done or even forego college and go straight from high school.  We see it in Basketball and Football all the time.  

For the women, the paydays are not as big and there are no guarantees.  Staying in school to get a degree is a great backup plan should golf, or any sport for that matter, not pan out as expected.  

But you're right about the NIL deals.  That changes things dramatically.  They can make some money now while still attending school.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tasals said:

Though I guess with NIL deals now it might not be so cut and dry with where earnings can come from. Gets more complicated now, as I wouldnt be surprised for some kids to end up making more in college than they would struggling on tour depending on some sponsorship deals.

I agree with this, unless you are one of the top amateurs you rarely see these college players make an impact on tour like Leona or Kupcho and soon Andrea Lee.

Also you are likely not playing and practicing as much if you are in college vs turning pro as a late teen.

Plus a bachelor's degree is kind of worthless in 2022 , players can always turn pro early and take online courses somewhere. They could be missing out on a lot of cash during their youth! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

I agree with this, unless you are one of the top amateurs you rarely see these college players make an impact on tour like Leona or Kupcho and soon Andrea Lee.

Also you are likely not playing and practicing as much if you are in college vs turning pro as a late teen.

Plus a bachelor's degree is kind of worthless in 2022 , players can always turn pro early and take online courses somewhere. They could be missing out on a lot of cash during their youth! 

I say would for a person like Maria playing both is probably smart, play the LPGA and hopes the results come and if your status doesn't get you into the LPGA event play the Epson.  If she can finish top 5 in starts on the Epson tour, 6-7 of those might get good status next season through Epson and would give you a little more confidence on the LPGA.

Not saying you can't have a very strong career going through the college route but the true phenoms of the LPGA never go anywhere near college.  I don't think Anna Davis will be there

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

So you thinking she's a phenom in the making?

I actually mentioned in a thread  even before she won at Augusta, I thought she was gonna be good one.  She was beating other higher ranked and winning Am events like I've seen other prodigies do in the LPGA.  The big one is making cuts at 16 and multiple times, usually at this age they bomb out or sneak in 2 good rounds before crashing on the weekend.  I'm not saying she'll win before 20 (but I think she will) but I am saying if turns pro at 18 she'll be in the top 50 in the world before 19.  At least this is what I noticed with LPGA players that have done what Anna is doing

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Short term I'm going to be more shocked to not hear Jerry. I'm a huge fan of Judy, but her retirement has been in the works for a while, and she's slowly reduced her schedule. On the other hand, Jerry leaving comes as a total surprise. 

We live in a zoom and podcast world now. I'd enjoy a weekly segment involving Judy. I'm sure there are many good stories and interesting perspectives she could share. Put some good people with her to produce it so she doesn't have to do much work. But if she's completely tuned out and out enjoying family, fishing and life I understand. She's given us plenty and doesn't owe us anything more.

• Like 3

Another boxes checked:

Chevron Championship announces new Texas course, dates for 2023

It's a private course, the course is ranked #29 among courses in Texas.

"The Chevron Championship is officially headed to Houston. The LPGA, Chevron and IMG have announced the Jack Nicklaus Signature Course at The Club at Carlton Woods as the new home of the LPGA’s first major. Next year’s event will be held April 20-23 next year. The Masters Tournament is slated for April 6-9."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Another boxes checked:

Chevron Championship announces new Texas course, dates for 2023

It's a private course, the course is ranked #29 among courses in Texas.

"The Chevron Championship is officially headed to Houston. The LPGA, Chevron and IMG have announced the Jack Nicklaus Signature Course at The Club at Carlton Woods as the new home of the LPGA’s first major. Next year’s event will be held April 20-23 next year. The Masters Tournament is slated for April 6-9."

Organizers saying this is Houston is a little bit of a stretch.

From downtown Houston to this location which is technically “The Woodlands” it can be anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. 
However, from IAH, Houston’s main airport it’s only about 30 minutes. Somewhat easier for players to get in and out.

We’ll see how it goes, this now becomes a home game for Stacy Lewis. The course doesn’t seem major worthy but we’ll see. Not an exciting “destination” major.

Edited by fredogolfer

12 hours ago, Lobby said:

Doesn’t DK have spine cancer?

It was reported that she has a tumor. Last I heard it hasn't been diagnosed as malignant.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

It was reported that she has a tumor. Last I heard it hasn't been diagnosed as malignant.

Sad, wishing her a successful medical outcome. Never good for the sport when any top player is sidelined with medical issues.

Can't help think of this and hope it comes to nothing..Sobering headacke - Bike Forums

• Like 4

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

2 hours ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Gabriella Then shoots 62 on day one of the Epson Tour event👏

We're very happy for her.  Her time away and her revitalized spirit, approach and maturity has done her plenty of good.  She's having a good season on the Epson Tour - especially for a non-member!    Here's to hoping she can carry her form all the way to the LPGA next season!  

• Like 4