2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2022 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

38 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Content for now at least. Perhaps they could be testing the waters with the men, before taking a chance with the ladies.

It's possible down the road,  LIV basically copied the format for the  LET Dubai Moonlight Classic for all it's events 😂

I would like more events that feature LPGA+JLPGA+KLPGA stars since the drop off in talent isn't as deep as the PGA vs everything else.

• Like 2

https://www.lpga.com/statistics/kpmg-performance-insights 

=====

KPMG Performance Insights – Changing the Way the LPGA Tour Tells Stories

Justin Ray

Earlier this year, in the final round of the JTBC Classic presented by Barbasol, LPGA Tour rookie Atthaya Thitikul started the day six shots off the lead. She would need an incredible Sunday performance to give her even the slightest chance at a big comeback victory. She went out and did it, firing a 64 and then winning a playoff against Nanna Koerstz Madsen.

Thitikul hit eight approach shots inside 15 feet on that Sunday. She gained more than three full strokes on the field with her approach play in the final round, most of any player. The rookie was especially dialed in on her approach shots from 100 to 125 yards out, averaging inside 17 feet for the day – 6 feet better than the LPGA Tour average. Thitikul was also a perfect three-for-three that day on putts from 5 to 10 feet – a range where LPGA Tour players make 55.9% of their putts overall on the season.

Before the launch of KPMG Performance Insights, none of those details would have been available.

“To me, having the extra data helps to tell the story of the competition, the way players are competing against each other,” said major champion and NBC Sports golf analyst Karen Stupples. “Not just the personal stories. It allows analysts and golf writers to write or talk about the play without necessarily being on-site. It means more people are talking about the play on the LPGA than before.”

Perhaps no sport lends itself to descriptive statistics and the time to explain them more than golf does. Every shot – from the decisions made before the swing, to everything that happens until the ball stops moving – is permeated with numbers. Since the launch of KPMG Performance Insights last year, the LPGA Tour has more access to detailed stats than ever before.

“I really think that when you are a player or an analyst, it’s east to just see the world through the same lens,” said Stupples. “Having more stats enables you to compare to other tours, to compare what, say, Nelly (Korda) does in relation to what (Scottie) Scheffler does.”

Korda gleans her biggest advantage over the competition with her driver, with 39% of her strokes gained coming off the tee. Since tracking began in 2021, Korda is one of three players to average a full stroke gained or more per round in that discipline. Scheffler’s biggest weapon in 2022 has arguably been his iron play, with more than 55% of his strokes gained coming on approach shots. Scheffler has leapt up 70 ranking spots in strokes gained approach this season compared to last.

“Having better and more specific data has helped us understand player’s strengths and weaknesses, and better compare players to each other,” said NBC Sports analyst Paige Mackenzie. “If we don’t have great data we can only speak about what we see, or background stories about players. By having data, fans can really appreciate how good they are.”

Minjee Lee, who recently won her second major in less than 12 months, has been arguably the best ball striker on the Tour in 2022. Both the traditional and advanced metrics support that notion: she’s ranked sixth on Tour in both total driving and greens in regulation. She leads the LPGA Tour in strokes gained tee-to-green per round.

Three players are ranked in the top-15 on Tour in both strokes gained putting and strokes gained approach: Jin Young Ko, Lydia Ko and Danielle Kang. They are ranked first, fourth and 13th in the world, respectively.

“I think for me the numbers around putting are the biggest eye opener,” Stupples said. “We have only ever had total putts and putts per G.I.R. in the past. Now we know what the make percentage is for the LPGA players.”

Players on the LPGA Tour this season have made 29.4% of their putts from 10 to 15 feet away. That’s very close to the PGA Tour average this season from that range – 29.9%. Lydia Ko is the only LPGA Tour player to make more than 100 putts of 10 feet or longer this season. She leads the Tour in strokes gained putting per round.

Dottie Ardina is making 34.5% of her putts from 15 to 20 feet this season. Only two players on the men’s tour have made more than 30% of their putts from that range in 2021-22.

“I love to go and see how close players are hitting it from different distances and how they are putting,” said Stupples. “It allows me to talk about exceptional play or poor play and have numbers to back it up without listeners having to just take my word for it. It adds credibility to my words.”

KPMG Performance Insights are helping broadcasters tell better stories about the world’s best players, building fan interest and understanding. Only about a year into the project, the best is still yet to come.

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still can't believe the LPGA doesnt have a deal with ESPN+ or whatever to show at least SOMETHING during the full tournaments morning to end. The cameras are already there and I would much rather watch morning LPGA groups in the background while I work than the PGA.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

I guess I'm in the minority on this TV issue. 

TV golf coverage sucks, in my opinion.    Just too many commercials (ever notice how the tv volume appears higher during a commercial than on the regular telecast) and too many talking heads. 

Only showing the back nine for the leaders seems appropriate to me.   I'll get annoyed less...   🙂

I haven't caught on to many of the recent players.  I think partly due to change in swing speeds and ball flight (not relatable).

So very happy to see some long-time favourites Minjee and In Gee take home some big time hardware this season.

What remains for the Evian and WBO?  I will hope for SYR (another favourite from the past, seems extremely unlikely though) at Evian and maybe Lydia Ko at the WBO.  Both would add a third different major.  I think Lydia, In Gee, and Minjee were all good friends in their younger days as well, so it would be cool to see all of them performing at the highest level in the same year.

• Like 1

The Solheim Cup squad should be looking strong by next year.

The 6 "locks" would be Lexi, Nelly, Kupcho, J Korda, Khang D Kang 

Based on this year (so far) the next 6 would be Alex, Vu, Harigae, O'Toole, and the Lee's of Alison + Andrea. 

Of course a lot of golf now and then, maybe Corpuz or Schubert picks up a win to get an invite. Lucy Li will have her card next year and poised to make some noise. 

I know the captains picks could change this, but I would feel confident with this squad. 

Poor Yealimi is down to 30th on the points list!  Annie has cooled off a bit with some brutal finishes her last 3 events although she struggles on longer tracks. (I hope they team up at the Dow Next Event) but I think Yealimi will play with her buddy A Lim, and Annie will probs play with Khang.  East Coast girls gotta stick together. There's not many of them on tour! 

https://www.lpga.com/statistics/points/solheim-cup?year=2022

Not sure about the Europe squad forecast, but id bet my life savings (which isn't much) that Popov isn't on it again 😅

EDIT

https://www.dowglbi.com/teamcommitments

Annie is w Jennifer Song, maybe home state advantage ?? 🙂

Edited by woahnelly
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, woahnelly said:

The Solheim Cup squad should be looking strong by next year.

The 6 "locks" would be Lexi, Nelly, Kupcho, J Korda, Khang D Kang 

Based on this year (so far) the next 6 would be Alex, Vu, Harigae, O'Toole, and the Lee's of Alison + Andrea. 

Of course a lot of golf now and then, maybe Corpuz or Schubert picks up a win to get an invite. Lucy Li will have her card next year and poised to make some noise. 

I know the captains picks could change this, but I would feel confident with this squad. 

Poor Yealimi is down to 30th on the points list!  Annie has cooled off a bit with some brutal finishes her last 3 events although she struggles on longer tracks. (I hope they team up at the Dow Next Event) but I think Yealimi will play with her buddy A Lim, and Annie will probs play with Khang.  East Coast girls gotta stick together. There's not many of them on tour! 

https://www.lpga.com/statistics/points/solheim-cup?year=2022

Not sure about the Europe squad forecast, but id bet my life savings (which isn't much) that Popov isn't on it again 😅

EDIT

https://www.dowglbi.com/teamcommitments

Annie is w Jennifer Song, maybe home state advantage ?? 🙂

I see Lexi is paired up with Altomare.  This would be a great way for Lexi to bounce back from last week.  She can get out of the winless slump and feel what it's like to win again.  I would also like to see Brittany get a W even if it is in in a team event.  Sometimes playing in a team takes the pressure off.  Worked for Xander so maybe it will work for Lexi to bump the slump.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HankScorpio said:

I see Lexi is paired up with Altomare.  This would be a great way for Lexi to bounce back from last week.  She can get out of the winless slump and feel what it's like to win again.  I would also like to see Brittany get a W even if it is in in a team event.  Sometimes playing in a team takes the pressure off.  Worked for Xander so maybe it will work for Lexi to bump the slump.

Yeah I don't know who to root for!

Corpuz + Gina Kim are teamed , Lexi + Altomare, Yealimi + A Lim, Jennifer + Annie, Matilda + Kelly Tan, Pajaree + Aditi etc.  I'm sure the Kordas will be teammed up even though it's not official yet. Sei Young doesn't have a partner yet either maybe she will take Yaeeun under her wing. 

For some reason, Jasmine + Clanton are always a formidable duo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcculld2 said:

And Minjee Lee scoots past Nelly into the No.2 world ranking slot

Jin Young had better be on her game in the upcoming majors or she will get mown down by Minjee.

It's good to have so many dominant and equally talented players at the top of the rankings.

Cheers

In Gee moved up to 12. Good for her. 

Min Ji Park is up to 16, she won (again) this past week on the KLPGA. She now has 10 (!!) wins this season and last. 

• Like 3

Ugh. How did the tour wind up with a 3 week gap in the middle of the season?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

22 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Ugh. How did the tour wind up with a 3 week gap in the middle of the season?

Is there really no LPGA for 3 weekends? Wow.

• Sad 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

42 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

I don't recognize the person . . . enlighten us! 🙂 

Min Ji Park. She won the latest KLPGA tournament in a playoff last week. I believe it was her 3rd win of the year. She won six times last season in just 13 events. She's currently ranked #16 in the world, the highest non-LPGA player in the rankings.

• Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

6 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Min Ji Park. She won the latest KLPGA tournament in a playoff last week. I believe it was her 3rd win of the year. She won six times last season in just 13 events. She's currently ranked #16 in the world, the highest non-LPGA player in the rankings.

And hopefully next season,coming to a Q-school near you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Ahh, I've read about her but never saw a photo to go with the name.  

10 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

20220626160520499fhia.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

16 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

20220626160520499fhia.jpg

==> https://www.seoulsisters.com/players/misc/minjipark.htm 

Seems to like that Baby Pink shirt!

(it's a different shirt/ collar / different trophy!)

Park Min-ji wins 4th KLPGA title this season at Celltrion Open

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 3

On 6/28/2022 at 7:30 AM, woahnelly said:

Yeah I don't know who to root for!

... Korda's are easy to root for but I would love to see a Thai team of Patty Tavatanakit and Atthaya Thitikul. 

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour