2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2022 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

50 minutes ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Every player on the leaderboard is Korean.  Do you have to be Korean to play on that tour? 

AFAIK... there isn't a requirement to be Korean to play the KLPGA.

There is a Thai lady "Natthakritta Vongtaveelap" playing this week

but she didn't make the cut

i.e. you would've needed to scroll quite a way below the +12 cut line to see her name

https://klpga.co.kr/web/leaderboard/leaderboard.do?gameCode=2022090003 

Pre-covid... There was a reality show "Cinderella Story" involving 12 aspiring young pros from across Asia, with participation in KLPGA Tournaments as the prize  (i think it was a marketing move by the KLPGA to promote its tour).

The language barrier makes it difficult for non-Koreans to thrive on the KLPGA (despite the 'Hallyu wave'/popularity of Korean culture across Asia)

.."Cinderella Story" season 1 PlayList:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZtp3m-Fgh7yIp44aLCGgPAaZNRKaqU69

"Cinderella Story Winners Epilogue" PlayList Link:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZtp3m-Fgh7xw-EYeltotjjj2CRcPyFVd

...fyi... @Golf Dino interviewed one of the winning contestants (Genevieve Ling) on her aspiring tour pro journey:  https://www.worldofgolf.org/post/lost-in-translation-golf-life-in-southeast-asia#:~:text=television show called-,Cinderella Story,-that was for

image.png.03ee7e46e7d267e64f99ae8da46ae0f2.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, 18majors said:

Go Su Oh!  Go Muni He!

Muni He's name appeals to my juvenile sense of humour - sounds like a city men's facility.😀

I wonder if there is a Muni Her?🙂

• Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

4 minutes ago, 18majors said:

This may happen within the next ten years, but maybe too late for Jessica:

Would love to see this!

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Today i learnt that SeRi Pak is hosting a KLPGA event this week

i.e. the "2022 OK Financial Group Se-Ri Pak Invitational" (<== details/showtimes = via this Link)

Ahead of the main event, there was an amusing "hit and giggle" long-drive and flop shot charity event involving 6 KLPGA players, that was live-streamed on youtube.  (see if you can identify all of them!)

Some nice swings ( including one of @iBanesto's faves i.e. Lim Hee Jeong?)

... Question: Does breathing onto your golf ball before your drive (a'la HaNa Jang, timestamp ~16m20s) = help to warm it sufficiently, for longer drives during autumn weather?

..p/s: Bonus recent video of Pak SeRi hitting some golf shots = Linked below!

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

i.e. the "2022 OK Financial Group Se-Ri Pak Invitational" (<== details/showtimes = via this Link)

Ahead of the main event, there was an amusing "hit and giggle" long-drive and flop shot charity event involving 6 KLPGA players, that was live-streamed on youtube.  (see if you can identify all of them!)

... Question: Does breathing onto your golf ball before your drive (a'la HaNa Jang, timestamp ~16m20s) = help to warm it sufficiently, for longer drives during autumn weather?

Good memory @JungleJimbo and you are also correct.

In Gee Chun played last week on the KLPGA as well.

13 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Wonderful idea. The return of the International Crown is certainly welcome, but there are still too many high ranked players from countries that will not have the numbers to qualify for the IC. Lydia? Ashok? 

Even with the countries that can field an IC team, having Minjee, Hannah, Ariya, Atthaya, and a half dozen Korean Players would put a serious dent in the U.S.'s dominance of the cup. 

On the flip side, Nelly, Lexi, Danielle and and a half dozen other American players would certainly add to the strength of the U.S. team. 

@Argonne69 Didn't know the International Crown was making a return, until i saw your post! 👏

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

.. Question: Does breathing onto your golf ball before your drive (a'la HaNa Jang, timestamp ~16m20s) = help to warm it sufficiently, for longer drives during autumn weather?

It may not do a single thing, but unless you're Godzilla, it definitely wouldn't hurt either!  🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

..p/s: Bonus recent video of Pak SeRi hitting some golf shots = Linked below!

Round 1 KPLGA SeRi Pak invitational: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_hPp2I3nB0

Leaderboard: https://klpga.co.kr/web/leaderboard/leaderboard.do?gameCode=2022090004 

Edited by JungleJimbo

Viva, Michelle Wie West:

Michelle Wie West set to host new LPGA event at Liberty National in 2023 with unique junior element

"There’s never been an LPGA event quite like this before. With an AJGA Invitational being held concurrently at Liberty National, 24 of the top junior girls in the country will compete alongside the best pros in the world with the glimmering New York City skyline as a backdrop.

The new Mizuho Americas Open will take place June 1-4 in Jersey City, New Jersey, and feature a field of 120 players vying for a purse of $2.75 million, one of the largest among non-major events. Michelle Wie West, an ambassador of Mizuho, will be tournament host."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

Viva, Michelle Wie West:

Michelle Wie West set to host new LPGA event at Liberty National in 2023 with unique junior element

"There’s never been an LPGA event quite like this before. With an AJGA Invitational being held concurrently at Liberty National, 24 of the top junior girls in the country will compete alongside the best pros in the world with the glimmering New York City skyline as a backdrop.

The new Mizuho Americas Open will take place June 1-4 in Jersey City, New Jersey, and feature a field of 120 players vying for a purse of $2.75 million, one of the largest among non-major events. Michelle Wie West, an ambassador of Mizuho, will be tournament host."

Since Michelle is going to host, I hope Annika makes one of her 4-5 competitive starts next year at this event and then WDs on the 16th hole claiming  an injury on her wrist and then showing up the week after with layers of kinio tape on her knee. It might send a message to the former Meghan Markle of the LPGA. 

Edited by fredogolfer
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, 18majors said:

Viva, Michelle Wie West:

Smart money says Michelle shows up to host on crutches or some sort of neck or arm brace.

6 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Rapidcat Thought you might like this video / tweet w.r.t. Leona Maguire's warmup routine!

Incredible R3 from Leona, 7 under in last 10 holes with the home fans cheering her on.

However, as in c.50% of her rounds she starts poorly, usually +1 or worst in her first 2 holes, same again in R4 (bogey bogey), so her warm-up routine doesn't work!

I'll comment again in the Irish Open thread (for those waiting with baited breath...ha ha).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Incredible R3 from Leona, 7 under in last 10 holes with the home fans cheering her on.

However, as in c.50% of her rounds she starts poorly, usually +1 or worst in her first 2 holes, same again in R4 (bogey bogey), so her warm-up routine doesn't work!

I'll comment again in the Irish Open thread (for those waiting with baited breath...ha ha).

thanks @Rapidcat ... i belatedly remembered that a Mod here moved my post here, into its own KPMG Irish Open thread

Edited by JungleJimbo

9 hours ago, 18majors said:

Not the player I'd pay attention to, but a good idea by LPGA:

Considering the the title of "Drive On" she's a pretty suitable choice. It's not always about the most popular player who's eaten from the silver spoon their whole life. She's not a personal favorite of mine either, but she represents the Drive On attitude very well. Kudos to her for choosing to drive on, instead of a rather unpleasant alternative.

• Like 3

Unfortunately a new odds and end is the condition of the Tiburon golf course and facility, site of the CME Championship. I've been there enough times to know that it is only 2.5 or 3 miles from the coast, and smack in the area of the record Naples storm surge that was being talked about all day today during coverage of Ian.

Given mid November they should have enough time. The facility is new enough that I'm sure it was designed with major hurricanes in mind. But lots of homes and older structures in that area will have permanent flooding damage.

I remember attending 2017 CME a couple of months after Irma. The notable aspects were missing trees from years prior, and missing tiles all over the place on the roof of the hotel. But overall they did a very good job. I remember going in on the shuttle bus the first day. The driver of that bus told me they were scrambling toward the deadline of the event, and that less than one week earlier the course and grounds were totally unrecognizable toward what I was seeing that day. He said the main entrance road still had huge downed trees a few days earlier.

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, there is a narrow canal that rings around most of that Tiburon property. That should help somewhat with flooding.

I've always viewed that canal as an annoyance, because a couple of times I have stayed within walking distance and that darn canal prevents short cuts back toward the hotel.

Not until tonight did I realize it might have been there for another purpose also.

3 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Unfortunately a new odds and end is the condition of the Tiburon golf course and facility, site of the CME Championship. I've been there enough times to know that it is only 2.5 or 3 miles from the coast, and smack in the area of the record Naples storm surge that was being talked about all day today during coverage of Ian.

Given mid November they should have enough time. The facility is new enough that I'm sure it was designed with major hurricanes in mind. But lots of homes and older structures in that area will have permanent flooding damage.

I remember attending 2017 CME a couple of months after Irma. The notable aspects were missing trees from years prior, and missing tiles all over the place on the roof of the hotel. But overall they did a very good job. I remember going in on the shuttle bus the first day. The driver of that bus told me they were scrambling toward the deadline of the event, and that less than one week earlier the course and grounds were totally unrecognizable toward what I was seeing that day. He said the main entrance road still had huge downed trees a few days earlier.

thanks @Awsi Dooger. hope you guys stay safe.

Edited by JungleJimbo