2022 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

21 minutes ago, fredogolfer said:

She got a sponsor’s invite into the Kingsmill event a few years back because she went to college nearby. I believe she is from and still lives in San Antonio. Has struggled mightily on the WAPT. Also wrote an article about the time she met Rory and the Advice he gave.Just seems to have had a little more hype than someone with her profile would usually have. She has a lot of connections in the sports world which may explain the interest.

Did you hear the VOA Classic is now the Ascendant LPGA? Increased purse and better date should make for a nice event. Although I get the feeling many players don’t really care for this course. Planning on driving down for 2-3 days. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/08/17/fall-lpga-event-dallas-texas-volunteers-america/

I don't know if it's the course or the crummy weather they often get there. The course is fine. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 8/16/2022 at 9:05 PM, woahnelly said:

I hope Ina Yoon comes too.

I'm boycotting the KLPGA because they are blackballing her.

Edit - article for reference 

https://www.archyde.com/hell-from-heaven-superstar-yuna/

Just fine her and be done with it! 

This explains why she hasn't been on the sbs YouTube highlights.

A 39-year-old pro with renewed dreams and a bevy of teens among 311 players at Stage I of LPGA Qualifying School at Mission Hills

Beth Ann NicholsAugust 18, 2022

For those wondering, it’s too hot for the scarf. Kim Welch, a 39-year-old pro who has competed only a handful of times in the past few years, is known for her trademark head scarf. The 2008 “Big Break” winner came back to Stage 1 of LPGA Q-School this year in the California desert because her heart told her head she wasn’t done.

Meanwhile, for Bailey Shoemaker, a 17-year-old who competed last week in the U.S. Women’s Amateur, everything is new this week. The rising high school senior and University of Southern California commit wanted to give Q-School a test drive. Shoemaker said she has no plans to turn professional this year.

“I just wanted to test myself a little bit this week,” said Shoemaker of her first time to Mission Hills. “I feel like the more rounds I have the better chance I’ll have in the future.”

GettyImages-1400816873.jpg

Bailey Shoemaker plays her tee shot on the second hole during the second round of the 77th U.S. Women’s Open at Pine Needles Lodge and Golf Club on June 03, 2022 in Southern Pines, North Carolina. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A field of 311 hopefuls will tee it up this week for the chance to compete for an LPGA card later this year. Stage I is held over three different courses: Mission Hills Country Club (Dinah Shore and Palmer Courses) and Shadow Ridge.

Players who complete 54 holes without a score of 88 or higher will earn 2023 Epson Tour status. Any player who shoots 88 or higher in any of the first three rounds will be withdrawn from the event and not be eligible to receive any tour status for 2023.

The top 100 and ties will advance through to Stage II in October. There are a total of three stages.

The youngest player in the field is 16-year-old Holly Victoria Halim of Indonesia, and the oldest is 41-year-old Constanza Jofre of Argentina.

Welch, who won 11 times at Washington State, can’t even remember her first trip to Q-School.

“Were some of these kids not even alive?” she asked with a laugh. “It’s actually a really legit question that I don’t want to know the answer to.”

Welch has 23 career starts on the LPGA and won on the Epson Tour more than a decade ago. She spent most of 2020 volunteering at Los Angeles food bank during the pandemic and later started a small charcuterie business. She even worked as Kenny G’s moving coordinator during her break from competitive golf. She and her fiancé have known the famed musician for years.

GettyImages-584175668.jpg

Kim Welch in action during the Mission Hills Celebrity Pro-Am on 26 October 2014, in Haikou, China. (Photo by Power Sport Images/Getty Images)

Before COVID, when Welch was competing full-time on the Epson Tour, she felt pretty good about her game as she climbed the money list in 2017. But with four events left in the season, Welch found out that her father, Pete, had Stage 4 prostate cancer and he died within two months.

She had already signed up for Q-School that year and decided that he would’ve wanted her to play.

“I literally could not tell you what I shot, how I played, how I felt,” she said. “I was just kind of like a zombie that week.”

It was at a U.S. Women’s Open qualifier this year that Welch really felt the competitive juices start to flow again. She wanted to give the LPGA another go because deep down, it doesn’t feel over yet. And she felt it was a way to honor her dad.

There’s also the fact that the 2023 U.S. Women’s Open will be played at Pebble Beach for the first time, a special place for the Welch family. As a junior, tournament winners in Northern Cal gathered on Dec. 26 at Pebble Beach for the annual Tournament of Champions.

Welch remembers packing up Christmas day to head to Pebble with her parents – the ultimate present.

As a pro, Welch was invited to play in the TaylorMade Pebble Beach Invitational and had the chance to invite her parents.

“It ended up being my dad’s last 18 holes of golf,” said Welch, “which is pretty epic.”

IMG_5690.jpg

Left to right at Pebble Beach in 2017: Dad Pete Welch, Kim, fiance Bret and mom Kazuko (courtesy photo)

There was a time when Welch, a former bomber, would look up and down the range at Mission Hills and compare herself to other players in the field. She doesn’t feel the need to do that anymore.

“I think I used to carry around a lot of self-doubt and needing validation,” said Welch, “and now it’s like I have that internally.”

Welch competed on the Ladies European Tour at the same time as Ashleigh Buhai, and said the 33-year-old’s breakthrough success at the AIG Women’s British Open at Muirfield certainly serves as inspiration. Even teeing it up in a Women’s British for the first time, for Welch, would be a thrill.

Welch played a practice round this week on the Dinah Shore Tournament Course with a “Big Break” super fan who peppered her with questions. It was a fun trip down memory lane.

Shoemaker, a semifinalist at Chambers Bay, is at the start of her memory-making journey. The highlight of her summer, she said, was making the cut at the U.S. Women’s Open at Pine Needles. She loved playing in front of a crowd.

Shoemaker said she plans to take classes next summer to get a jump on her college degree and hopes to graduate in three years. There are 23 teens in the field this week.

“I feel like the window for women’s golf is a lot smaller,” said Shoemaker.

But there’s always room for late bloomers.

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

It's been a horse racing all day at LET with Jessica Korda, Pauline Roussin and Nelly playing together at the final group.

Jessica led Nelly by 10 shots after Hole #2; but Nelly caught up with Jessica by Hole #13 at -12; Pauline was one shot back.  Nelly birdied #14 to go -13, Jessica bogeyed and was tied with Pauline for second at -11.  

Nelly won it eventually with both Jessica and Pauline faded towards the end.

• Like 1

Princess Mary Superal wins the Simone Asian Pacific Cup. Don't know much about her, but she did win the US Girls Juniors wayyy back in 2014, same event won by Yealimi and Rose Zhang since then. 

So Yeon and JLPGA legend Bomee Lee won the team competition. 

I caught some of the live feed, Lydia had numerous lip outs on puts, otherwise she could have been more of a challenge to Princess. We are not worthy!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Princess Mary Superal wins the Simone Asian Pacific Cup. Don't know much about her, but she did win the US Girls Juniors wayyy back in 2014, same event won by Yealimi and Rose Zhang since then. 

I caught some of the live feed, Lydia had numerous lip outs on puts, otherwise she could have been more of a challenge to Princess. We are not worthy!

Superal played in the JLPGA and tried the LPGA route (unsuccessfully, she isn't ready, in my opinion).    Has decided to focus in Asia (and the budding Asian Women's tour) and let the others who went to university in the States to try out the LPGA route (Eg Arevalo, Avaricio, Bianca, Sam Bruce etc).    

Watched the live feed given my jetlag lately.  It was one of those days / weeks for her where she definitely had a bit of an edge having played in the course several times in the past years - Superal played solid while So Yeon and Lydia just couldn't buy a putt early on = less pressure for Superal heading into the back 9... Either way, biggest paycheck of her career at $100k and hopefully a good trend for her...   (note that greens there are also a tad different and more "grainy" so Ko and So Yeon had some adjustment to do, over and beyond jetlag and humidity)

Ardina and Superal are good buddies... 

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

It's been a horse racing all day at LET with Jessica Korda, Pauline Roussin and Nelly playing together at the final group.

Jessica led Nelly by 10 shots after Hole #2; but Nelly caught up with Jessica by Hole #13 at -12; Pauline was one shot back.  Nelly birdied #14 to go -13, Jessica bogeyed and was tied with Pauline for second at -11.  

Nelly won it eventually with both Jessica and Pauline faded towards the end.

I watched it streaming. Couldn't believe the Jessica implosion. In my musings, it entered my head that perhaps Jess is with child? With her and Nelly going toe to toe, I was surprised by not hearing any Venus vs Serena references. It would have been totally appropriate imo. Anna's husband was one of the amateurs in the team event, AS WAS JOHNNY DELPRETE. I'll be nice: found it amusing. Where is KBong you need a take?

Edited by MagicClassic407
spelling
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, MagicClassic407 said:

I watched it streaming. Couldn't believe the Jessica implosion. In my musings, it entered my head that perhaps Jess is with child? With her and Nelly going toe to toe, I was surprised by not hearing any Venus vs Serena references. It would have been totally appropriate imo. Anna's husband was one of the amateurs in the team event, AS WAS JOHNNY DELPRETE. I'll be nice: found it amusing. Where is KBong you need a take?

@MagicClassic407  . . . is this where I start to mention Orchids of Asia or something like that?  Along with Kraft, et.al.?    🤣

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Haha 4

On 8/18/2022 at 2:45 PM, 18majors said:

Jessica seems to always have that one super-low round; her career would be so different if it were two or three low rounds.

You must be confusing Jess with Nelly, on the super low round comment.

Most players would have different careers if they could shoot 3 super low rounds.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:35 AM, Supermilo said:

Superal played in the JLPGA and tried the LPGA route (unsuccessfully, she isn't ready, in my opinion).    Has decided to focus in Asia (and the budding Asian Women's tour) and let the others who went to university in the States to try out the LPGA route (Eg Arevalo, Avaricio, Bianca, Sam Bruce etc).    

Watched the live feed given my jetlag lately.  It was one of those days / weeks for her where she definitely had a bit of an edge having played in the course several times in the past years - Superal played solid while So Yeon and Lydia just couldn't buy a putt early on = less pressure for Superal heading into the back 9... Either way, biggest paycheck of her career at $100k and hopefully a good trend for her...   (note that greens there are also a tad different and more "grainy" so Ko and So Yeon had some adjustment to do, over and beyond jetlag and humidity)

Ardina and Superal are good buddies... 

On 8/21/2022 at 12:01 AM, woahnelly said:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stooch said:

Ouch!  That kinda thing will follow you for a career.

Yep that is just one sanction , now has to await the KLPGA verdict. 

Hopefully time served is punishment enough.

Cheating is cheating. Lexi was given is a 4 stroke penalty in a major while leading the tournament.  Ina hit the wrong ball in a tournament she missed the cut in and banned 3 years for competing in that tournament. 

• Like 1

Ever wonder what goes on "behind the scenes" in Korea and how they produce so many good players?  Check out this episode for a brief look at an interesting and innovative community based golf program with the coach that introduced Jin Young Ko to golf and helped her fall in love with the sport.   

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/focus-on-korea-how-golf-became-a-national-pastime/id1531979850?i=1000577361412

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Ever wonder what goes on "behind the scenes" in Korea and how they produce so many good players?  Check out this episode for a brief look at an interesting and innovative community based golf program with the coach that introduced Jin Young Ko to golf and helped her fall in love with the sport.   

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/focus-on-korea-how-golf-became-a-national-pastime/id1531979850?i=1000577361412

@Golf Dino thanks! Looking forward to this podcast episode!  

For convenience of others

(and consequently perhaps a better click-through rate?)

... am Sharing the Spotify Link here

(as this forum software seems to auto-embed / enable easier listening for such Spotify Links)

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1