2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2022 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

47 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Not a fan, never have been. But in all fairness, she had a pretty good career actually.

Pretty Good but not the "Next Hall of Famer" like she was being touted in the mid 2000s. More than anything, she is not the sweet "gee golly" person she pretends to be.  As I am watching her pre-tournament interview, it's a bit creepy to see a woman inching toward 40 sort of behaving like a teenager

• Like 2

All of these LPGA players talk about how having kids is life changing, beside your life now revolving around the child and having to be lived for the best interest of the child, is it really that different, life changing and "fun"? As a man with no children and likely not to have any, it is difficult to envision. These ladies have had experiences few get to have and then to say motherhood tops them all is just difficult to understand. I don't mean that in a condescending way, I just don't understand it. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

It seriously wouldn't surprise me if 75% of Stanford students have never heard the word grammar before. Phones have spell check, and nobody even uses complete sentences anymore it's all abbreviated slang.

Agree, I don't blame the kids.  I believe that those tweets are issued by paid, adult sports marketing and PR people.  

1 hour ago, fredogolfer said:

Pretty Good but not the "Next Hall of Famer" like she was being touted in the mid 2000s. More than anything, she is not the sweet "gee golly" person she pretends to be.  As I am watching her pre-tournament interview, it's a bit creepy to see a woman inching toward 40 sort of behaving like a teenager

Never trust a 40ish year old woman with pink ribbons in her hair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

It seriously wouldn't surprise me if 75% of Stanford students have never heard the word grammar before. Phones have spell check, and nobody even uses complete sentences anymore it's all abbreviated slang.

Don't get me started on punctuation. Thank you for actually typing "it's". Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I was reading a tweet by one of the "Brain" guys from Golf Canada expressing an unfairness and a way some players can game the  WAGR system that I had never thought of.  He pointed out all the Canadian Ams who got massive points at the CP and missed the cut as opposed to those who play the World Ams.  Rose Zhang won the individual at WA and Monet Chun missed the cut at the CP and Chun got 3X the points Rose did.

Anna Davis is abusing this IMO, she's played 6 pro events and made 5 cuts which is really good and 1 Am event since her win at Augusta and she accumulated close to 15000 points on the WAGR and is in 10th.

Maybe if you're an AM and you go play a pro event have fun but you get no WAGR points.  Cause winning the Augusta event gets you so many exemptions and while a great event it's only one event and shouldn't give the winner such an advantage.  IMO if you wanna be the best Am in the world you should have to do it beating other Ams

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stooch said:

I was reading a tweet by one of the "Brain" guys from Golf Canada expressing an unfairness and a way some players can game the  WAGR system that I had never thought of.  He pointed out all the Canadian Ams who got massive points at the CP and missed the cut as opposed to those who play the World Ams.  Rose Zhang won the individual at WA and Monet Chun missed the cut at the CP and Chun got 3X the points Rose did.

Anna Davis is abusing this IMO, she's played 6 pro events and made 5 cuts which is really good and 1 Am event since her win at Augusta and she accumulated close to 15000 points on the WAGR and is in 10th.

Maybe if you're an AM and you go play a pro event have fun but you get no WAGR points.  Cause winning the Augusta event gets you so many exemptions and while a great event it's only one event and shouldn't give the winner such an advantage.  IMO if you wanna be the best Am in the world you should have to do it beating other Ams

Whoa, that's interesting actually. Is Anna abusing it, or is she soaking up the Pro level experience while it lasts? 

I agree, shouldn't get ranking points for playing in a pro event. Exemptions, exemptions,exemptions.... way to lengthy for me. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

Pretty Good but not the "Next Hall of Famer" like she was being touted in the mid 2000s. 

Unfortunately that's how the media goes. Hell, it happens here even. The part that bugs me is these people doing the touting, likely don't realize how much pressure and attention they draw to players making golf that much more difficult.

It is what it is, it's their jobs to report the newest flavor of the week.

6 hours ago, 18majors said:

The fight for CME Top-80 intensified:

#78       Annie Park                              268.230

#79       Emily Kristine Pedersen        268.083

#80       Frida Kinhult                          263.613

#81       Yealimi Noh                            258.890

#82       Perrine Delacour                   254.995

2 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Annie is toast but at least she will finish top 100. 

On 8/31/2022 at 12:47 AM, woahnelly said:

Looks like Yealimi is finally sitting one out.

Allisen Corpruz is having a fine rookie season, she's broken into the Rolex top 100 and currently sitting 31st in the season standings. 

thanks @18majors for highlighting ... the Top80/Top100 race looks intriguing.

Hoping that SYR/SoYeon has a nice run, so that she can finish amongst the Top80.

(SYR = currently #88)

==> What does SYR realistically need to do, to jump ~8-10 spots to reach the Top80?

Example: i note that Ariya Jutanugarn jumped ~4 spots (72, to 68) this week, via a T16 finish at Dana Open

so my guess is that one Top10 for SYR in the next few tournaments, might not be enough to reach Season Top80?

https://www.lpga.com/statistics/points/race-to-cme-globe-season?year=2022 

image.png.90fc3d00b548a45ddebf51435ffd67dc.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

==> What does SYR realistically need to do, to jump ~8-10 spots to reach the Top80?

It looks like 400.000 is the magic number to be safely inside Top-80 at the end of the season; So Yeon needs a solo 4th (180.000 points) to get there.

Alternatively, she can have 2-3 solo 10th (75.000 points).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 18majors said:

It looks like 400.000 is the magic number to be safely inside Top-80 at the end of the season; So Yeon needs a solo 4th (180.000 points) to get there.

Alternatively, she can have 2-3 solo 10th (75.000 points).

thanks @18majors for the insight!

Re that 400 magic number .... Both Kelly Tan and her maid-of-honor Matilda Castren must be delighted that their July'22 runners-up finish at the Dow Great Lakes Bay = scooped them enough points, that they can be reassured a Top80 season finish & hence less pressure for the rest of season, to keep their LPGA tour card.  (Kelly is currently at 436 points/#57, and Matilda Castren at 422points/#59).

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

thanks @18majors for the insight!

Re that 400 magic number .... Both Kelly Tan and her maid-of-honor Matilda Castren must be delighted that their July'22 runners-up finish at the Dow Great Lakes Bay = scooped them enough points, that they can be reassured a Top80 season finish & hence less pressure for the rest of season, to keep their LPGA tour card.  (Kelly is currently at 436 points/#57, and Matilda Castren at 422points/#59).

Their challenges are to stay inside Top-60 to qualify for year-end CME Tour Championship and have a shot at that $2.0 million first prize.

• Like 2

Golf is so unpredictable, Gabriela Ruffels was on top of the world when she won 2019 Women's Amateur and was T15 at 2020 Chevron.  Grace Kim's exposure was limited to inside Australia at that time:

Grace Set To Seal 2023 LPGA Tour Card

"With four events left in the season, Kim’s tie for third this week has elevated her onto fourth spot on the Race to the Card standings, the top 10 at season’s end graduating to the LPGA Tour.

It promises to be a thrilling finale to the Epson Tour season with Gabriela Ruffels (12th) and Robyn Choi (13th) also in the hunt for a LPGA Tour card."

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 6:05 PM, fredogolfer said:

FWIW, Jin Young Ko has WD from Portland and Arkansas and is not entered in Dallas even though it is held not far from her US Base. I hope she is ok. Could a retirement be on the horizon?

Clearly burnt out mentally as she alluded to on her last Vlog.  JYK still has HoF ambitions though, so hopefully just a temporary shutdown and reset.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 18majors said:

Golf is so unpredictable, Gabriela Ruffels was on top of the world when she won 2019 Women's Amateur and was T15 at 2020 Chevron.  Grace Kim's exposure was limited to inside Australia at that time:

"With four events left in the season, Kim’s tie for third this week has elevated her onto fourth spot on the Race to the Card standings, the top 10 at season’s end graduating to the LPGA Tour.

It promises to be a thrilling finale to the Epson Tour season with Gabriela Ruffels (12th) and Robyn Choi (13th) also in the hunt for a LPGA Tour card."

Grace Kim won the WAPT held at my home course in 2021 while still an amateur and won the next week as well. In the final round at our place, she started the final round leading by 7. She went out in 3 under to increase her lead to 9. Then things got crazy on the back nine. She had everything from an eagle to a triple bogey. Shot 40 but still won by 2. 

22 hours ago, 18majors said:

Surprised Gabby hasn't torched the Epson Tour considering she seems to do well in the majors. 

Grace Kim would probably be on the big tour by now if it wasn't for covid. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Surprised Gabby hasn't torched the Epson Tour considering she seems to do well in the majors. 

Grace Kim would probably be on the big tour by now if it wasn't for covid. 

Clearly Gabi is a good player, but I wonder if she'll be a bit of a late bloomer, she's 22 but has only been playing since she was 15. Not a horrible resume for someone who's only been playing for a relatively short time compared to most of the girls her age.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Random thought: are there considerably more center-shafted putters in play on the LPGA especially among top players than on the men's side?  It seems there are.  I noticed that last week at the Dana.  I will compile a list of women who use them.  

Sure seems that way. Brooke figured that if she couldn't putt, she'd simply copy Lydia's approach, including her old center-shafted Ping, and left hand low.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

22 hours ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Random thought: are there considerably more center-shafted putters in play on the LPGA especially among top players than on the men's side?  It seems there are.  I noticed that last week at the Dana.  I will compile a list of women who use them.  

I noticed this too. Always wanted to give one a try, not that it would help of course..

• Like 2