2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Akshay Bhatia wins on KFT

Creedo77

4 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I know it’s not commonly done but I don’t know that college golf helps prepare or you for the PGA Tour. 

College basketball absolutely doesn’t prepare guys for the NBA. Why should we think that golf is different? 

The fact that both Hovland and Wolff left school early doesn’t really help the argument that guys need to go to college to prepare themselves for the next level. 

college basketball doesn’t prepare? Guy at my high school went to nba straight from high school, last year they allowed it. Was going to go to Duke. He was the 4th pick. Never reached his potential and had major injury because he needed a few years in college to put some meat on his bones and mature. 

37 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

that's the good thing about the internet, we are allowed to freely voice our opinion. 

I remember when he made that choice back then and one of his main reasons was because he said he never really liked school, lol. He is definitely in the minority with his decision, not many with his talents do that.

You just made his point.  "Never really liked school".  So here's a kid who presumably was good enough to earn a scholarship to college, probably a top ten golf school.  Sounds like he turned that opportunity down because he felt he might actually do poorly in such an environment.  He can always go back to school, and I would imagine that he is currently making all sorts of "business" contacts and relationships that will serve him well in the future whether he sticks with golf or not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

An online HS degree, he was homeschooled for golf, and no college degree. Not exactly a plethora of great options off those credentials. He went all in on pro golf and it may work out but what is the harm in going to college for a few years, building connections and a degree. I know the solitary knight is romantic and all but it is not a wise choice. 

You have no idea what you are talking about. "Building connections" you say?

Oh.... here are a few "connections" Shay has made so far. Mainly in golf, but he does like golf so makes sense to me?

-Flew with Phil on his private jet to the Middle East for a tournament. That would be over 20 hours just hanging with a top 10 player of all time. Additional practice rounds with PM to follow at multiple tournaments including US Open. Definitely on speed dial with Phil.

-Regular hang out time with DJ. Golf and social. I have watched the two of them practicing together with Allen Terrell a couple of times at my home course. They are buds. The Great One is on speed dial too. Could call #99 anytime if he needed any extra advise regarding anything business that the greatest hockey player who ever lived might know.

- Has a 6 figure business relationship with Chip Brewer, one of the handful of most powerful people in the game of golf. Is also represented by a world class sports agency

-Was trending nationally on "twitter" just two days ago

-Brooks on speed dial. Wolff on speed dial. Universal respect among all the professional "grownups" he has competited against during his years at many PGA tour pre-qualifiers.

-Universal respect at the USGA. Where he has conducted himself as a class act while being Junior Am Finalist. Making Match play in Am. Making cut in US Open.

-GG called Shay the best ball striker he has ever worked with and GG was also working with Adam Scott at that time. So much respect from GG, Chase and Allen..... all top 100 instructors.

-Just because he was home schooled means nothing. He is very bright and Conrad would of taken in an instant him had he chosen college.

-Comes from a great family and his dad is a successful and very kind man who definitely knows what he is doing.

Also, I think you were the guy trashing his appearence in the junior golf thread. Classy of you calling a 19 year old a "mess". His shirt is from Greyson. Might not appeal to a GQ guy like yourself, but I like the look and glad Akshay and his dad pretty much do not give a &%#@ what some random internet dude thinks.

So in summary....pretty good "connections" so far in my book. Other than a NIL, there is nothing he is missing not going to college. He just loves golf and wants to be a pro golfer. Big deal. And he is still only 19. JFC...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

college basketball doesn’t prepare? Guy at my high school went to nba straight from high school, last year they allowed it. Was going to go to Duke. He was the 4th pick. Never reached his potential and had major injury because he needed a few years in college to put some meat on his bones and mature. 

Correct, it absolutely does not. You are either good enough for the league or you are not. Kwame Brown wasn’t good enough for the league. Darko Milicic wasn’t good enough for the league regardless of when he came out. Kobe, KG, TMac, Jermaine O’Neal, Tyson Chandler, Lebron, etc were all good enough for the league and it showed right away. 

Guys like Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving (who played 11? games in college don’t quote that number)  Zion, John Wall, would have all been just fine without spending a year in college. 

There’s a reason everyone jumps from college to the league early. I would enjoy seeing an nba starting 5 made up of guys that stayed in school 3 and 4 years. It would be laughably bad. 

I would love to know how you are sure the injury wouldn’t have occurred if he went to college? Seems like a silly thing to assume. But then again, your entire basis for disliking this kid has been based on your assumptions. Kyrie and Zion both got injured in college, is that because they needed more years to mature and put some meat on their bones? How about Greg Oden? Went to college and still had knee issues. The argument that a handful of people went from high school to the pros and didn’t pan out really doesn’t prove much of anything. 

14 minutes ago, Dog Lover said:

Oh.... here are a few "connections" Shay has made so far. Mainly in golf, but he does like golf so makes sense to me?

-Flew with Phil on his private jet to the Middle East for a tournament. That would be over 20 hours just hanging with a top 10 player of all time. Additional practice rounds with PM to follow at multiple tournaments including US Open. Definitely on speed dial with Phil.

-Regular hang out time with DJ. Golf and social. I have watched the two of them practicing together with Allen Terrell a couple of times at my home course. They are buds. The Great One is on speed dial too. Could call #99 anytime if he needed any extra advise regarding anything business that the greatest hockey player who ever lived might know.

- Has a 6 figure business relationship with Chip Brewer, one of the handful of most powerful people in the game of golf. Is also represented by a world class sports agency

-Brooks on speed dial. Wolff on speed dial. Universal respect among all the professional "grownups" he has competited against during his years at many PGA tour pre-qualifiers.

-Universal respect at the USGA. Where he has conducted himself as a class act while being Junior Am Finalist. Making Match play in Am. Making cut in US Open.

-GG called Shay the best ball striker he has ever worked with and GG was also working with Adam Scott at that time. So much respect from GG, Chase and Allen..... all top 100 instructors.

-Just because he was home schooled means nothing. He is very bright and Conrad would of taken in an instant him had he chosen college.

-Comes from a great family and his dad is a successful and very kind man who definitely knows what he is doing.

Also, I think you were the guy trashing his appearence in the junior golf thread. Classy of you calling a 19 year old a "mess". His shirt is from Greyson. Might not appeal to a GQ guy like yourself, but I like the look and glad Akshay and his dad pretty much do not give a &%#@ what some random internet dude thinks.

So in summary....pretty good "connections" so far in my book. Other than a NIL, there is nothing he is missing not going to college. He just loves golf and wants to be a pro golfer. Big deal. And he is still only 19. JFC...

Mic drop 

maybe he meant connections on where the next kegger is 

44 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

Well if you are taliking about Shaun Livingston. That was not the last year HS could go to NBA. If you are talking about Martell Webster.....he went 6th. Livingston had micro fracture surgery, but still managed to have a pretty great career. His knee injury had nothing to do with "putting meat on his bones".

Yeah sure, look at all the "maturity" Luka is missing out on. Luka definitely should of gone to Duke first instead of just being a first team NBA All Star because guys who went to Duke like Jabari Parker would never have knee problems? 

Also, I do not have time to respond to all your hating BS about Shay. Other than to say you really have no idea what you are talking about, but you have an internet connection so carry on looking silly if you choose. 

Edited by Dog Lover
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dog Lover said:

Well if you are taliking about Shaun Livingston. That was not the last year HS could go to NBA. If you are talking about Martell Webster.....he went 6th. Livingston had micro fracture surgery, but still managed to have a pretty great career. His knee injury had nothing to do with "putting meat on his bones".

Yeah sure, look at all the "maturity" Luka is missing out on. Luka definitely should of gone to Duke first instead of just being a first team NBA All Star because guys who went to Duke like Jabari Parker would never have knee problems? 

Also, I do not have time to respond to all your hating BS about Shay. Other than to say you really have no idea what you are talking about, but you have an internet connection so carry on looking silly if you choose. 

Just imagine how good KD would be if stayed in college, matured a bit and put some weight on his frame. He could probably be one of the best players in the league if he spent more time at Texas. I bet Paul George wouldn’t have broken his leg playing for the Olympic team if he stayed in college for more than two years! 

I think Kyrie, Zion and Jabari Parker prove that passing through Duke on your way to the nba makes you immune from injuries in college and at the next level. 

I’m just amazed that Lebron has been able to stay so healthy considering he didn’t even go to college. That’s insane. 

Im glad someone else sees the humor in all of this as well. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Forged4life said:

Mic drop 

maybe he meant connections on where the next kegger is 

Imagine thinking college "connections" mean more than the connections you make playing (and winning) golf at the professional level. You, as the player are your own business and brand all in one. Not to mention how else would he have gotten his sponsor exemptions, club contract, clothing contract, etc, if it weren't for connections? 

55 minutes ago, Dog Lover said:

all this and kicking out his territory. might be my new hero. I'm def buying the greyson shirt also so I hope he's under contract with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dog Lover said:

If you think Phil, Brooks, or any of those guys will give two craps about Akshay if he gets into a slump and can't hack it in a year you are a fool. 

How many people trend on twitter for a few weeks and then disappear? 

Chip Brewer and six figures won't matter if he can't hack it. Right now looks like he may have it figured out but who knows.

How much has he spent flying around, hotels, and all the other costs associated with being a professional golfer? He has far from made it.

Every connection you are talking about is completely contingent on his golf game staying stable and him competing and contending at a high level. If he gets injured or loses his game what does he fall back on? You really think if he gets to the PGA and can't make cuts any of that Twitter following will matter or Phil or Brooks is going to take time out to console him? If he had gone to college, gotten a degree, he had a fall back. He could of made connections outside of golf. Right now if his game fizzles he will have essentially nothing. I hope the best for the kid but his path is idiotic. Just because it works for him, which one KF win surely does not say it is going to work, does not change that fact.  

3 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

If you think Phil, Brooks, or any of those guys will give two craps about Akshay if he gets into a slump and can't hack it in a year you are a fool. 

Chip Brewer and six figures won't matter if he can't hack it. Right now looks like he may have it figured out but who knows.

How much has he spent flying around, hotels, and all the other costs associated with being a professional golfer? He has far from made it.

Every connection you are talking about is completely contingent on his golf game staying stable and him competing and contending at a high level. If he gets injured or loses his game what does he fall back on? You really think if he gets to the PGA and can't make cuts any of that Twitter following will matter or Phil or Brooks is going to take time out to console him? If he had gone to college, gotten a degree, he had a fall back. He could of made connections outside of golf. Right now if his game fizzles he will have essentially nothing. I hope the best for the kid but his path is idiotic. Just because it works for him, which one KF win surely does not say it is going to work, does not change that fact.  

Ok Mr. Negative. "What happens if he fails"? "What happens if Phil does not like him anymore"?  "What happens if he gets injured"? "Professional golf is too expensive"? 

Well any outcome is possible I suppose, but life goes on.  I doubt many successful people get out of bed thinking that way, but good luck with that.

He is just 19. I already listed the opinions of some very smart people, including his dad, from both golf and the business world and they think his path is "not idiotic". But I will pass along your concerns. 

40 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

I'm going to write that one off as over served on an early Friday afternoon after work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dog Lover said:

Ok Mr. Negative. "What happens if he fails"? "What happens if Phil does not like him anymore"?  "What happens if he gets injured"? "Professional golf is too expensive"? 

Well any outcome is possible I suppose, but life goes on.  I doubt many successful people get out of bed thinking that way, but good luck with that.

He is just 19. I already listed the opinions of some very smart people, including his dad, from both golf and the business world and they think his path is "not idiotic". But I will pass along your concerns. 

This is a forum to offer differing opinions so you can save the snarky past on concerns tripe.

His dad is very unbiased I am sure. 

Either way Akshay's win shows some much needed signs of he is figuring out the professional game. I hope he is successful. My only point in all of this is he put his chips entirely on professional golf performance with essentially no back up plan in case that fails and professional sports is a fickle thing. That is not my opinion that is of his own admission. For anyone it is a risky proposition that is not a great idea based on simple statistics but it may work out for him. I hope it does for the kid. Doesn't mean it is a good idea to forego any kind of education and put all your chips in that basket. 

2 hours ago, Dog Lover said:

preach christina aguilera GIF

1 hour ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Just imagine how good KD would be if stayed in college, matured a bit and put some weight on his frame. He could probably be one of the best players in the league if he spent more time at Texas. I bet Paul George wouldn’t have broken his leg playing for the Olympic team if he stayed in college for more than two years! 

I think Kyrie, Zion and Jabari Parker prove that passing through Duke on your way to the nba makes you immune from injuries in college and at the next level. 

I’m just amazed that Lebron has been able to stay so healthy considering he didn’t even go to college. That’s insane. 

Im glad someone else sees the humor in all of this as well. 

Yes, LOL. For some reason I have trouble picturing an 18 year old Giannis or Luka "maturing" during freshman "introduction to literature" at Duke? 

AB just shut down all the critics who said he needs to go to college to 

Learn to win

He just beat over 100 pros, prolly most of them went to college

And he did it at 19 years old. 3rd youngest to win on the KF (and previous iterations). Just a few months older than Jason Day, the youngest to win.

Picked up 135k

He should buy a Vette! and drive around like,

EE7D46DD-4550-47B3-A69B-F9C1C9793439.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

This is a forum to offer differing opinions so you can save the snarky past on concerns tripe.

His dad is very unbiased I am sure. 

Either way Akshay's win shows some much needed signs of he is figuring out the professional game. I hope he is successful. My only point in all of this is he put his chips entirely on professional golf performance with essentially no back up plan in case that fails and professional sports is a fickle thing. That is not my opinion that is of his own admission. For anyone it is a risky proposition that is not a great idea based on simple statistics but it may work out for him. I hope it does for the kid. Doesn't mean it is a good idea to forego any kind of education and put all your chips in that basket. 

Kind of like Rory 

20 hours ago, Krt22 said:

lol, you really undermine your entire position when you use such silly hyperbole. No one is calling him the next tiger, not even close. It's a good story in an otherwise boring/slow part of the year. You can continue to try to downplay the magnitude of his win because of the field, but that doesn't change the fact that he did in fact win. He beat multiple tour winners, he beat a bunch of guys that just lost their tour cards, he beat multiple highly decorated ams. How hard is it to give credit where credit is due? You come across as a real hardo taking such an oddball stance

My stance isn’t oddball at all, in fact it’s a sober position to take. Read the other thread I posted above on Akshay you would see many thought his decision to go pro from high school wasn’t the best decision. I said it’s great that he just won but I’m also saying he has struggled a ton since turning pro. I also pointed out how great his amateur record was vs his pro record.

Let’s see how he does the next 2 years is all I’m saying. The past two have not been great up to this current win besides the contract with Callaway. 

31 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

My stance isn’t oddball at all, in fact it’s a sober position to take. Read the other thread I posted above on Akshay you would see many thought his decision to go pro from high school wasn’t the best decision. I said it’s great that he just won but I’m also saying he has struggled a ton since turning pro. I also pointed out how great his amateur record was vs his pro record.

Let’s see how he does the next 2 years is all I’m saying. The past two have not been great up to this current win besides the contract with Callaway. 

From what I see, he went pro at like 18?

Missed all his PGA Tour cuts his first year 

Then made 4 cuts in 11 starts last year including:

T9, Safeway Open

T30, AT&T

T50, Mayakoba 

Now a KF win. 

That’s pretty good. I don’t think JT or Spieth did any better in in the PGA tour events they played at his age. 

He’s the 3rd youngest to win a KF event, just a few months older than Jayson Day when he was the youngest to win on KF. 

Of course there are ups abs downs. But Id say he’s holding his own very well. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

From what I see, he went pro at like 18?

Missed all his PGA Tour cuts his first year 

Then made 4 cuts in 11 starts last year including:

T9, Safeway Open

T30, AT&T

T50, Mayakoba 

Now a KF win. 

That’s pretty good. I don’t think JT or Spieth did any better in in the PGA tour events they played at his age. 

He’s the 3rd youngest to win a KF event, just a few months older than Jayson Day when he was the youngest to win on KF. 

Of course there are ups abs downs. But Id say he’s holding his own very well. 

JT turned pro after two years of college golf at 20. Went on to only miss 2 cuts on the web.com out of 20 events. Including a win, a second, a third, 7 top 10’s and 13 top 25’s. Ended 3rd on the money list. He dominated web.com tour and went to pga tour and continued dominating.

not even going to type out JS resume. He played two years college golf and won a pga tour event at 19.

10 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

JT turned pro after two years of college golf at 20. Went on to only miss 2 cuts on the web.com out of 20 events. Including a win, a second, a third, 7 top 10’s and 13 top 25’s. Ended 3rd on the money list. He dominated web.com tour and went to pga tour and continued dominating.

not even going to type out JS resume. He played two years college golf and won a pga tour event at 19.

🤣

My bad Rj3, I had thought those guys played 4 years college. 

Still AB is certainly holding his own. 

27 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

Sure.  But is that because they went to college or because he's JT and he's YJS.  Also interesting they ditched college to go pro.  Oh dear, did they have a "fall back" plan.  🤣