2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Akshay Bhatia wins on KFT

Creedo77

5 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Sure.  But is that because they went to college or because he's JT and he's YJS.  Also interesting they ditched college to go pro.  Oh dear, did they have a "fall back" plan.  🤣

I’ve never said they should graduate/fall back plan. In fact I don’t think you should stay 4 years especially if your ready after the next step. This is all about steps and preparation.

10 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

I’ve never said they should graduate/fall back plan. In fact I don’t think you should stay 4 years especially if your ready after the next step. This is all about steps and preparation.

Fair enough.  That was someone else.  So what is the problem with these steps:

1. In 2014, he participated in the inaugural Drive, Chip and Putt National Finals at Augusta National Golf Club in August, Georgia, USA.
  2. In 2016, he won the Champions Junior Golf Tour (CJGT) Junior at Yorba Linda and IZOD American Junior Golf Association (AJGA) Championship.
  3. In 2017, he won the Davis Love III Junior Open, the Junior Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) Championship and the AJGA Junior at Ford’s Colony.
  4. In 2018, he was runner-up to 71st U.S. Junior Amateur Championship winner Michael Thorbjornsen, was named the AJGA Player of the Year and won two silver medals at the III Summer Youth Olympics in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
  5. He missed the cut when he made his PGA Tour debut at the 2019 Valspar Championship in Palm Harbor, Florida, USA in March 2019. On April 18, 2019, he made his Web.com Tour debut at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Championship. He finished T-42.
  6. In September 2019, he made his professional golf debut at the Sanderson Farms Championship in Jackson, Mississippi, USA.
  7. On August 5, 2020, he won the ST 11 @ Old South Golf, an event on the Swing Thought Tour.
  8. On February 25, 2021, he won ST 12 @ Brunswick, his second Swing Thought Tour event.
  9. On June 7, 2021, he qualified for the 121st U.S. Open, which was held at the Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego, California from June 17-20, 2021. He made the cut, which marked his first major championship appearance, and finished tied for 57th.
  10. He was 19 years old when he won the Korn Ferry Tour’s Bahamas Great Exuma Classic at Sandals Emerald Bay on the Great Exuma Island in the Bahamas on January 19, 2022, making him the third youngest winner in the tour’s history behind Sungjae Im and Jason Day.
He seems to be steppin' right along...
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

And here I thought the "protect them from themselves" mentality only applied to football and hoops.  Glad to see it's alive and well for golf as well.  

Guys skipping college athletics by and large hurt the financial spigot that benefits many of those who want them not to skip college athletics. Football coaches are the highest paid state employees.  College hoops coaches are on the next level.  Golf coaches make pretty good bank.  Primarily because that money needs to be spent.

But let's not pretend these guys are students.  Something like 50% of all regular students transfer schools during their time.  But an athlete is apparently considered married to said school.  This has loosened but you still very much have the stigma associated with it.  You also have a large number of athletes who cannot pursue the degree they wish to pursue because the classes conflict with practice, and heaven knows, the dedication to the student-athlete's education is so strong that practice cannot be violated.  

On the flip side, you do have females by the boatload ready to service your every need, so there is that.  Golfers do get "free" practice privileges and tournament entries, though you both a)give up control of your life to someone who is as often as not a tyrant, and b) have to deal with someone trying to give "input" on every shot you take in a tournament, all the while training you in the subtle art of taking way too m*&^erf*(&&n' long to play a round of golf.  

Good on Bhatia on all fronts.

2 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

JT turned pro after two years of college golf at 20. Went on to only miss 2 cuts on the web.com out of 20 events. Including a win, a second, a third, 7 top 10’s and 13 top 25’s. Ended 3rd on the money list. He dominated web.com tour and went to pga tour and continued dominating.

not even going to type out JS resume. He played two years college golf and won a pga tour event at 19.

Sounds like you are trying to prove the point that guys either have what it takes or they don’t. College has very little to do with it. 

If you have the skill you can leave college after your freshman or sophomore year. But for some reason never attending college is an issue. Odd. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Sounds like you are trying to prove the point that guys either have what it takes or they don’t. College has very little to do with it. 

If you have the skill you can leave college after your freshman or sophomore year. But for some reason never attending college is an issue. Odd. 

1-2 years of college is usually enough for growth from taking the next step in college golf and some maturity after moving past high school. That is what I’m saying. 

how many have gone straight from graduating high school to the pros and done well like JT, JS, Wolff, hovland, Rahm etc etc? I would be interested in that. The proven path has been doing the college golf thing first.

it will be interesting seeing how he does the next two years. 

Edited by Redjeep83

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

On the flip side, you have females by the boatload ready to service your every need, so there is that.  Golfers do get "free" practice privileges and tournament entries, though you both a)give up control of your life to someone who is as often as not a tyrant, and b) have to deal with someone trying to give "input" on every shot you take in a tournament, all the while training you in the subtle art of taking way too m*&^erf*(&&n' long to play a round of golf.  

Good on Bhatia on all fronts.

You’re referring to the football and basketball players right?! The kids on the golf team are one notch above the chess team/club and just below the tennis team in that regard! 😂 

7 minutes ago, TiScape said:

You’re referring to the football and basketball players right?! The kids on the golf team are one notch above the chess team/club and just below the tennis team in that regard! 😂 

You know, I spoke to a member at my club who said he was a cheerleader in college.  He indicated that most weekends the question was who, not if.  And also look at the wives on tour.  Women dig the athletes.  For pete's sake I saw a bunch of hot girls at a formerly prestigious invitational I played in who were there following their boyfriends who played lower division 1.  

I asked my wife to follow me for nine holes one year in our club championship.  She did so, god love her, and said don't ever ask her to do that again.  If those girls are willing to follow a relative no name golfer at a somewhat no name event, there's plenty at school that will enjoy their company for an evening.

Part of me wants to say they also follow along the lines of the girls you want to bring home, vs the girls you want to bring home to mom.

2 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

You know, I spoke to a member at my club who said he was a cheerleader in college.  He indicated that most weekends the question was who, not if.  And also look at the wives on tour.  Women dig the athletes.  For pete's sake I saw a bunch of hot girls at a formerly prestigious invitational I played in who were there following their boyfriends who played lower division 1.  

I asked my wife to follow me for nine holes one year in our club championship.  She did so, god love her, and said don't ever ask her to do that again.  If those girls are willing to follow a relative no name golfer at a somewhat no name event, there's plenty at school that will enjoy their company for an evening.

Part of me wants to say they also follow along the lines of the girls you want to bring home, vs the girls you want to bring home to mom.

I didn’t play sports at UCLA and most weekends my question was who, not if as well 😊

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

From what I see, he went pro at like 18?

Missed all his PGA Tour cuts his first year 

Then made 4 cuts in 11 starts last year including:

T9, Safeway Open

T30, AT&T

T50, Mayakoba 

Now a KF win. 

That’s pretty good. I don’t think JT or Spieth did any better in in the PGA tour events they played at his age. 

He’s the 3rd youngest to win a KF event, just a few months older than Jayson Day when he was the youngest to win on KF. 

Of course there are ups abs downs. But Id say he’s holding his own very well. 

Covid really helped him out too. Those cuts made on the PGA were extended sponsor invites because the top college golfers who would have most likely received those incites stayed another year in college. Sahith Theegala is another who over 2 seasons got about a dozen. 

Without that top 10 in Napa, Akshay doesn’t earn enough points to get into KFT finals in 2021 and doesn’t automatically have status out there this season. 

It likely would have meant going back to into first stage of Q school. 

2 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Are you saying the male cheerleaders have their pick of the litter in college? If so then 🤯

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

1-2 years of college is usually enough for growth from taking the next step in college golf and some maturity after moving past high school. That is what I’m saying. 

how many have gone straight from graduating high school to the pros and done well like JT, JS, Wolff, hovland, Rahm etc etc? I would be interested in that. The proven path has been doing the college golf thing first.

it will be interesting seeing how he does the next two years. 

Yes, and maybe give him 4-5 years.  I don't think anyone disagrees that college is a proven pathway for some.  It's just a bit early to make any assessment really except that he is winning at multiple levels and hopefully we can see what he does on Tour.  Lefty's are fun to watch play.

The current poster boy for your position would be Johnny Ruiz.  Tried the college thing but decided it "just wasn't for him".  Has been struggling on the Canadian Tour and haven't seen much from him since covid.

13 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Yes, and maybe give him 4-5 years.  I don't think anyone disagrees that college is a proven pathway for some.  It's just a bit early to make any assessment really except that he is winning at multiple levels and hopefully we can see what he does on Tour.  Lefty's are fun to watch play.

The current poster boy for your position would be Johnny Ruiz.  Tried the college thing but decided it "just wasn't for him".  Has been struggling on the Canadian Tour and haven't seen much from him since covid.

Regarding Ruiz I read Jon Rahm took his scholarship spot at Arizona state so he never went. He went to a local college for 1 week and quit. Tried the mini tours and can now be seen helping Gankas as a teaching assistant 

4 hours ago, golfortennis said:

I couldn't believe it either, but.... and this dude is so rich now(sold a company for FU money is what I heard), he doesn't need to make up stories I wouldn't think.

Come on ppl. Is this really so hard to believe?! A heterosexual male (cheerleader so assuming he’s in great physical shape), college environment and close to a ton of women and their friends! No brainer to me the guy would have plenty of opportunities for numerous encounters with various women… I’d be more surprised if it wasn’t the case… IDK, maybe my college experience was just different than yours! Haha

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Come on ppl. Is this really so hard to believe?! A heterosexual male (cheerleader so assuming he’s in great physical shape), college environment and close to a ton of women and their friends! No brainer to me the guy would have plenty of opportunities for numerous encounters with various women… I’d be more surprised if it wasn’t the case… IDK, maybe my college experience was just different than yours! Haha

Someone once said the 80-20 rule applies in this area as well...

16 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Someone once said the 80-20 rule applies in this area as well...

The fact your are quoting the Pareto principle, (yeah I had to Google it so what! 🤣) helps explain things a bit! 😜
While you were in your dorm room doing the calculations on the possible outcomes of approaching and talking to girls, I was doing it! 😆 Just messin’ with ya GorT! Have a good day 😊

Edited by TiScape

9 hours ago, TiScape said:

^^^This 100%!  The number one variable in any personal relationship, or business/professional relationship for that matter, is close contact with prolonged access. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, fairways4life said:

Just checked up on his progress and since his win he's played in 7 tournaments with 4 missed cuts, 2 WD's and a T-35. Golf is hard.

He's still 13th in "The 25." Hopefully he can hang on. 

well I mean that is what I had been saying in this thread. That has been his pattern. 

13 minutes ago, m_w said:

so far really seems to be one of those "if its on its on" players that is still trying to find his consistency - I hope he can. Seems like a good dude

He wasn't like that before turning pro that is for sure. 

It's what I mentioned multiple times in this thread that some people can't understand who never competed at a high level. It's extremely hard to jump to PGA tour from high school vs. taking the next step in college and has built up some scar tissue/lost his game but can find it when the stars align.

Edited by MK7Golf21
  • Like 1

His problem is obv not squatting, turning, and shallowing enough. 

Needs to squat so his butt is 3 inches from ground at impact, turn so hips are 90 degrees open, shallow so club is perpendicular to target line at right arm parallel on the DS

Then yell scoobee after every shot. 

Just poor execution 

Edited by 8milespast
  • Haha 3

One of the WDs was a back injury in February 

He split with his best friend who was his caddie for the last 2 seasons. He had Niemann’s old caddie on the bag in Savannah but WD in that too. 

Personally, he has the Exuma curse. The last couple guys who won that event haven’t gone up to the PGA Tour. He needs a minimum of 800 points to get up there. Some years the 25th guy has gone up with like 715 but he still needs a couple good weeks to secure a card 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MK7Golf21 said:

He wasn't like that before turning pro that is for sure. 

It's what I mentioned multiple times in this thread that some people can't understand who never competed at a high level. It's extremely hard to jump to PGA tour from high school vs. taking the next step in college and has built up some scar tissue/lost his game but can find it when the stars align.

Ah yes, that’s right. You’re the licensed sports psychologist that is able to tell what is going on inside the kids mind from afar. Very impressive. 

You don’t have to go to college to be successful and make a living playing professional golf. Geoff Ogilvy, Sergio Garcia, Trevor Immelman, and Henrik Stenson all did ok. Or are you here to tell us they would have done much better if they went to college for a year and avoided all that scar tissue?

I wonder if you were saying the same things about Rory choosing not to go to college. Surely he would have 8+ majors had he attended a reputable D1 school. 

It’s clear you don’t like the kid and that’s fine. But to act like you know what’s going on inside of his head and what’s best for him is ridiculous! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Ah yes, that’s right. You’re the licensed sports psychologist that is able to tell what is going on inside the kids mind from afar. Very impressive. 

You don’t have to go to college to be successful and make a living playing professional golf. Geoff Ogilvy, Sergio Garcia, Trevor Immelman, and Henrik Stenson all did ok. Or are you here to tell us they would have done much better if they went to college for a year and avoided all that scar tissue?

I wonder if you were saying the same things about Rory choosing not to go to college. Surely he would have 8+ majors had he attended a reputable D1 school. 

It’s clear you don’t like the kid and that’s fine. But to act like you know what’s going on inside of his head and what’s best for him is ridiculous! 

to think I need to be a licensed sports psychologist to think that jumping from high school to PGA TOUR is extremely difficult is hilarious. I don't need to know what is going on in his mind, I'm looking at his results and how young he is. You can throw various names up here all you want but the vast majority of pga tour players went from high school to college golf at least some before making the jump to the big stage and it's not even close. If he was playing consistently well, I wouldn't be saying anything and would think it was impressive. 

I don't like the kid? Weird, I don't even know him. I'm just giving my opinion based on his results.

Edited by MK7Golf21
  • Like 1