2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2022 Cobra Forged Tec Irons

ShakeyT

Wonder if the lack of reviews from the normal Youtubers means that product supply is low?

Really hoping they have all options at the demo day on the 22nd. I'm open to trying every combo they have. I've had the F9 One Length hybrids for awhile now, so I'm very interested in the available One length Irons for in the 6-4. The rest of the set would be variable length.

With all that said, anything I try is going to have a tough time beating my Honma P747s. They are the best combo of mid-sized, lack of offset, thin top line & great distance & accuracy of any iron I've tried. My only knock on them is I don't care for the orange accent in the cavity or the orange splashes on the shafts. 

• Like 1

From the article: 

"The Forged TEC One Length irons are configured with a constant, 7-iron length setup."

This is not true. They've altered the lie angles throughout the set. The higher-numbered irons are more upright and the lower-numbered irons are more flat.

This is inexplicable. The whole point of single-length clubs is that every club feels exactly the same. The only differences are weight distribution in the heads and lofts. Changing the lie angles impinges upon this principle.

I suspect the desired result is encouraging draws with the low-lofted irons to combat some players' tendencies towards slicing these clubs. Not. Good. Enough.

Tom Wishon recognized this mistake the hard way. His Sterling irons were excellent. However, he graduated the offset, giving more to the low-lofted clubs. This was unnecessary and extreme. He corrected it in the next offering, the EQ1-NX. (Which went to 2 degrees of offset and a thinner topline, two things Cobra is getting right with these irons.)

The Cobras are designed around a 37" iron (standard 7-iron), but you're not limited to that. You can go with a longer or shorter shaft, depending on your needs. But remember to adjust the lie angles accordingly and, while you're at it, put 'em all back where they belong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShakeyT said:

Wonder if the lack of reviews from the normal Youtubers means that product supply is low?

Really hoping they have all options at the demo day on the 22nd. I'm open to trying every combo they have. I've had the F9 One Length hybrids for awhile now, so I'm very interested in the available One length Irons for in the 6-4. The rest of the set would be variable length.

With all that said, anything I try is going to have a tough time beating my Honma P747s. They are the best combo of mid-sized, lack of offset, thin top line & great distance & accuracy of any iron I've tried. My only knock on them is I don't care for the orange accent in the cavity or the orange splashes on the shafts. 

My local demo day is the 22nd also 👌 I am told they have everything 

11 minutes ago, Rich Douglas said:

From the article: 

"The Forged TEC One Length irons are configured with a constant, 7-iron length setup."

This is not true. They've altered the lie angles throughout the set. The higher-numbered irons are more upright and the lower-numbered irons are more flat.

This is inexplicable. The whole point of single-length clubs is that every club feels exactly the same. The only differences are weight distribution in the heads and lofts. Changing the lie angles impinges upon this principle.

I suspect the desired result is encouraging draws with the low-lofted irons to combat some players' tendencies towards slicing these clubs. Not. Good. Enough.

Tom Wishon recognized this mistake the hard way. His Sterling irons were excellent. However, he graduated the offset, giving more to the low-lofted clubs. This was unnecessary and extreme. He corrected it in the next offering, the EQ1-NX. (Which went to 2 degrees of offset and a thinner topline, two things Cobra is getting right with these irons.)

The Cobras are designed around a 37" iron (standard 7-iron), but you're not limited to that. You can go with a longer or shorter shaft, depending on your needs. But remember to adjust the lie angles accordingly and, while you're at it, put 'em all back where they belong.

You may disagree with their research & findings, but Cobra has explained at length why they do this.

In order to get the one length concept to work in the long irons, they believe the heads have to have more weight in the bottom. This leads to heavier heads than then short irons. The heavier heads in the short irons causes shaft droop during the swing which effectively flattens the lie.

If you were playing with really stiff shafts, you might see this as a detriment. Most people playing one length aren't playing rebar in their irons.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 5:51 PM, ShakeyT said:

Putting this bag together in my head:

GW - 7i variable length Forged Tec

6i & 5i one length Forged Tec

4i one length Forged Tec X

Do what you want, but it defeats the purpose of single-length clubs.

People who don't play them think that the low-numbered clubs are easier to hit and the high-numbered clubs are harder, both because of the shaft lengths. Sounds good, but it isn't true in practice.

The real benefit from these clubs is the grooving of one swing on the same plane (or planes) for all your irons and wedges. But it doesn't happen overnight. At first, the low-numbered clubs seem really short--like playing a club from a junior set. And the wedges seem miles long. Then, you get it into your head that the low-numbered clubs are actually easier to hit than traditional low-numbered clubs. This is true. But the wedge thing sticks in your head for longer--you keep thinking they're too long so they'll be less accurate. But if you stay with it, you start grooving all of these clubs because they're (almost) exactly the same. The wedges soon feel normal.

So, the trade-off--easier low-numbered irons for harder high-numbered irons--is false. They all become much easier to hit because they all have the same length, static weight, swing weight, offset (unless you buy that garbage from Cobra) and MOI. You swing each of them exactly the same--and that's the point.

A note on the extremes. First, the low numbers. (This is assuming a 36.5" length--8-iron. Another mistake with Cobra is that their clubs are designed around a 37" 7-iron length.) Depending on your swing speed, you might see a drop-off in gapping. To fully use the 4-iron in the old Wishon Sterling set, you had to swing an 8-iron about 85mph. Any less and you just wouldn't get the gapping between the 4 and 5. (The new EQ1-NX has a 4-hybrid to take its place.) If you swing an 8-iron around 80mph, the 5-iron or even 6-iron might be your longest iron. Above those you should consider hybrids and fairway woods.)

With the high numbers, I found the LW to be problematic. It was just too flat at that length. I didn't feel comfortable with a lob wedge that long. And around the greens you have to choose between choking down or opening up the clubface--you can't do both without bringing the toe in and dragging it, flipping the club wide open. I loved hitting it from the fairway, but not enough to give up utility around the green. This would be even worse with Cobra's 7-irong-length clubs. If they make a sand wedge and/or lob wedge to go with the set, they would be nearly unusable.

Bottom line: don't kid yourself into thinking it's a good idea to get single-length in the low numbers and variable length in the high numbers. You'll be compromising on the central value these clubs bring and getting nothing in return.

THEGOLLUM218-----> That's a really good question that I'm sure many of us are asking. It would be great to know if they're planning on coming out with a utility iron that matches the new FT's. The old one is a 2020, so it would be nice to know if this is also getting an update like the irons (hopefully keep the adjustability, but make a little thinner top line/less blocky, etc. just like the irons)...... Any info please share!!!

Ping G430 LST Dr. 9* - VA Nemesys 65X

Ping G430 LST Fwy. 15* - VA Nemesys 75X

Ping G430 Hyb. 19* - VA Nemesys 95X

Ping iCrossover 4 Util. 22.5* - Axiom 105X

Ping Blueprint S Irons 5-PW - Modus 120X

Ping S159 50S (Nippon 120X), 56H, 60T (both Nippon 125 Wedge)

L.A.B Golf DF3 Custom 

Vessel Player 4 Pro DXR 

Those looks great! What setup did you end up going with? 

Ping G430 LST Dr. 9* - VA Nemesys 65X

Ping G430 LST Fwy. 15* - VA Nemesys 75X

Ping G430 Hyb. 19* - VA Nemesys 95X

Ping iCrossover 4 Util. 22.5* - Axiom 105X

Ping Blueprint S Irons 5-PW - Modus 120X

Ping S159 50S (Nippon 120X), 56H, 60T (both Nippon 125 Wedge)

L.A.B Golf DF3 Custom 

Vessel Player 4 Pro DXR 

13 minutes ago, Flush-It-Fore said:

Those looks great! What setup did you end up going with? 

4-PW KBS $ Taper lite xstiff 1 degree weak loft. 

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

2 hours ago, balata2 said:

Have you been able to compare to the previous version forged tec?  I had a set and I remember them being a little clicky.  

No, I haven't hit the last version but did hit the one prior to that. The big "KING" turned me off to the version prior to the new ones.

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

The new 2022 models do not sound clicky like the former model.  I have the previous model and have hit and ordered the Forge Tec X model.

That was a negative with the old irons so I wanted to hear and feel if they had improved this area and Cobra corrected exactly what you found in the first models.

They feel solid, quiet and pick the ball up with ease from the short grass.

• Like 1

I hit both the Forged Tec and the Tec X both looked incredible nice small package on both I went FT due to the feel and prefer the lofts of players distance vs game improvement. Ordered with KBS Tour Lite 5-GW, hopefully they show up soon! Will report back 

• Like 1

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TITLEIST TSR1 - 20 - MMTHybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM10 Raw 48F/53F/58T- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / SWAG Redrum

D@mnit I'm going to have to hit these now. Too bad they weren't available back when I did my fitting. 

Although I will say they're probably too strong lofted and I'd have to get them bent.

Currently using the 2020 model 4 iron as a transition club between my MP223 5 iron and my 5 wood, and I find it very enjoyable to hit.

Edited by 1puttTUT

Been playing the 2020s for 2 years now. Thinking of getting the '22s in 8, 9, and PW only and combo'ing with my current set. I really don't like that the 7 in the X models are 27*.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

38 minutes ago, Murdock said:

Well this went off the rails pretty quickly.  As usually does on internet forums.  

Can we please get back to some reviews/thoughts on the clubs?  Or is that going to be in a different thread and I can unsubscribe from this one?  

I have a set of FT coming at some point.  Was told mid-May, but it's all up in the air.  Was a little disappointed that even though their website shows a 5-GW set available, it actually wasn't available and due to supply chain issues we can't get single clubs at this time (as told to me 3rd hand from a team rep).  So you're locked in 4-PW and have to either use a different GW or wait for Cobra to release them.  (not looking for a discussion on using set GW's versus separate wedges, just providing info).  

Like a true WRX'r, I bought them site unseen.   Which may or may not work out.  If it doesn't work out, then you'll be able to pick up a set for cheap off BST!! 😆

I would have rather Cobra waited to release these irons until all their supply chain issues were a bit smoother. It's worse to order & wait 2-3 months. I ordered a set not directly from cobra but was able to order a specific irons including the GW without any issues...or at least none I was made aware of...fingers crossed.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid:Callaway Paradym @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

10 minutes ago, JohnKHawk said:

I would have rather Cobra waited to release these irons until all their supply chain issues were a bit smoother. It's worse to order & wait 2-3 months. I ordered a set not directly from cobra but was able to order a specific irons including the GW without any issues...or at least none I was made aware of...fingers crossed.

If I may ask, did you order from another retailer, or from a local rep?

12 minutes ago, JohnKHawk said:

... Things been ca-razy with shipping delays for all OEM's. Cobra seemed to be in between a rock and a hard place. Folks were already upset they had to wait til late April for the FT/FTx release and if Cobra waited til June, most making spring iron purchases may already have bought some other iron. I am glad I am not in the board room of any OEMs right now since companies like Mizuno that has been legendary for a fast turn around with custom clubs can't even get stock sets into players hands. But along with all the other desirable attributes I just don't think any other iron has a hosel grind like Cobra because it basically disappears at address and all you see is the club head. So I will wait on the Forged Tec's for as long as it takes. Thankfully I am 100% happy with my MIM irons so waiting isn't a problem. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Things been ca-razy with shipping delays for all OEM's. Cobra seemed to be in between a rock and a hard place. Folks were already upset they had to wait til late April for the FT/FTx release and if Cobra waited til June, most making spring iron purchases may already have bought some other iron. I am glad I am not in the board room of any OEMs right now since companies like Mizuno that has been legendary for a fast turn around with custom clubs can't even get stock sets into players hands. But along with all the other desirable attributes I just don't think any other iron has a hosel grind like Cobra because it basically disappears at address and all you see is the club head. So I will wait on the Forged Tec's for as long as it takes. Thankfully I am 100% happy with my MIM irons so waiting isn't a problem. 

Agreed, they very much look worth the wait.