2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

LA GOLF L-Series Iron Shafts

oyamawk89

@Wooderson are you still playing with the L-series or did you go with Steelfiber 115? I got that left elbow pain (right handed swinger) and trying to find a graphite shaft for my 923 HMP. Currently have Recoil 95, but trying to tame that high attitude launch.

@drza3 did you ended up going with the A-series? If so, how do you like it versus the L-series?

7 hours ago, jknight said:

@Wooderson are you still playing with the L-series or did you go with Steelfiber 115? I got that left elbow pain (right handed swinger) and trying to find a graphite shaft for my 923 HMP. Currently have Recoil 95, but trying to tame that high attitude launch.

@drza3 did you ended up going with the A-series? If so, how do you like it versus the L-series?

I’ll have some feedback this week. I have a 105 stiff a series coming today to put up against the L series I’ve been playing for a while 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ry1808 said:

I thought I’d go back to the experimental 7 iron I built up with an L-Series shaft. Very impressed,

feels very stable and gave a great ball flight. For comparison I play Modus 120 X shafts. I’ll try and get some trackman numbers this week. 

I’d be tempted to get these in my next set of irons but they’ll probably be later in the year. 

Does anyone have some experience with the WV wedge shaft?

I have the WV shafts and really enjoy them.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

18 hours ago, ry1808 said:

I thought I’d go back to the experimental 7 iron I built up with an L-Series shaft. Very impressed,

feels very stable and gave a great ball flight. For comparison I play Modus 120 X shafts. I’ll try and get some trackman numbers this week. 

I’d be tempted to get these in my next set of irons but they’ll probably be later in the year. 

Does anyone have some experience with the WV wedge shaft?

I actually made the switch from Modus 120X into the L-series and love it. I have the wedge shaft in my pitching wedge and it's excellent. I would say it plays exactly like the standard iron shafts. I don't have much interest in trying them in my scoring wedges though as S400's have been my go to since forever ago.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

49 minutes ago, Its_KBO. said:

Not trying to scare anyone as I think it was a freak accident after hitting a tee shot but…

9A87F82F-A6F9-4086-B5FD-46BE96435D75.jpeg

395728A4-D28D-4C2F-AA50-482C23F82A2B.jpeg

hosel rocket?

53 minutes ago, Its_KBO. said:

Not trying to scare anyone as I think it was a freak accident after hitting a tee shot but…

9A87F82F-A6F9-4086-B5FD-46BE96435D75.jpeg

395728A4-D28D-4C2F-AA50-482C23F82A2B.jpeg

Many things could have caused the initial splinter before it actually broke on your tee shot. unfortune , but I seriously doubt normal ball striking caused that. 

Were the tips drilled out to add swingweights at install?  

6 hours ago, jjmurry said:

I actually made the switch from Modus 120X into the L-series and love it. I have the wedge shaft in my pitching wedge and it's excellent. I would say it plays exactly like the standard iron shafts. I don't have much interest in trying them in my scoring wedges though as S400's have been my go to since forever ago.

Any bit of testing vs the 130 $taper?

9 hours ago, Tommyboi95 said:

Any bit of testing vs the 130 $taper?

Nope. I’m more familiar with C taper, which doesn’t compare at all to this one. It felt very comparable to the Modus 120x but it handles stepping on it a lot better. With the modus I feel as though I can never swing all out as the timing of the kick gets thrown off. With L series I didn’t feel that as much. For me it felt very comparable to project x or project x ls. It’s an addictive feel really; I look forward to grabbing an iron and flushing it with these shafts.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

46 minutes ago, jjmurry said:

Nope. I’m more familiar with C taper, which doesn’t compare at all to this one. It felt very comparable to the Modus 120x but it handles stepping on it a lot better. With the modus I feel as though I can never swing all out as the timing of the kick gets thrown off. With L series I didn’t feel that as much. For me it felt very comparable to project x or project x ls. It’s an addictive feel really; I look forward to grabbing an iron and flushing it with these shafts.

I played the LZs hardstepped and really enjoyed that "pop". May just have to order a 6 or 7 iron and test it out

4 hours ago, Tommyboi95 said:

I played the LZs hardstepped and really enjoyed that "pop". May just have to order a 6 or 7 iron and test it out

If that's your desired feel I think you will enjoy the L-series.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 10:24 PM, jknight said:

Unfortunately I am not. I love the performance of these shafts, but found a couple of issues. First, over the winter I play a lot of sim golf. In doing so my swing speed rises to 88-90 mph with my 7 iron. I also swing with more effort in the sim. During sim golf they are perfect, but I have found on the course my speed drops some as my swing is more controlled and as a result they feel boardy and cumbersome. 

Finally, I don't feel they help my elbow pain much at all. I am starting to wonder if there is more to elbow pain prevention than vibration dampening. I think the stiffness of the butt and the weight put more strain on my elbows. A softer and lighter shaft like the recoil 95s seem to help more.  My pain remained with the LA but I have none with the recoil. 

I truly am bummed because there is a noticeable performance advantage with the L series for me. The ball just does not curve as much for me. 

• Like 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

On 7/14/2022 at 9:04 AM, drza3 said:

Playing the L series 4 (stiff) coming from steelfiber 110 stiff.  Driver around 115, 7 iron 92.  

I liked the one piece feel of the steelfiber but the L series just feel better and the added weight helps with my quick transition.  They seem so consistent and the stiff is more than enough for me.  I also have arthritis issues in the past but have experienced nothing since switching a few weeks ago and hitting more balls than normal

Thanks for this info. We’re about the same swing speed and this helped me out alot. 

On 5/2/2023 at 9:09 PM, Tommyboi95 said:

Finally got the shafts yesterday, got the 8i glued up. Will it and report back tomorrow

Update, first few swings reaction. Very interesting feel, super solid and linear feel to me. I hard stepped the stiff and just reshafted my 8iron instead of ripping the bandaid of the whole set. I bought them 2nd hand from a member on WRX, turns out after hard stepping them my irons ended up being .5" short EOG. Crazy consistent numbers.  I'm playing 9 holes this afternoon and I have to usually hit my 8 iron 2-3 times on the front.

I've attached my numbers from the bay below. Not shabby for being .5" short.
image.png.f6ebe7f30830ffb6801f71b41a5d653c.png

• Like 1

Hey everyone. So I’m torn between the L series stiff and xtra stiff. I currently play kbs tour v 120 xstiff in Srixon zx7 mkII. I went to club champ and hit the L series in stiff and really really liked the feel and ball flight was a little higher, had a slight pull (that could have been the swing in me that day), but swing speed was up, ball speed, smash factor was up distance may have been a couple to no more than 5 yards longer. Swing speed was 91-93 consistently with a 6 iron. Unfortunately, they didn’t have a xstiff for me to demo but the fitter let me hit his x stiff in his miuras. Granted the miura heads are much different than the Srixon heads so I wasn’t able to get a good feel/comparison to the stiff. 

End result, fitter suggested i go xstiff based on swing speed and pulls. He thinks x will straighten ball flight out, tighten up dispersion and flight. I just don’t want anything too stout or boardy (think c tapers or project x rifle 6.5)

my question is, has anyone been caught in this dilemma? Choosing between stiff and xstiff? Any thoughts? 

thanks, playas! 

3 hours ago, Golfguru14 said:

Hey everyone. So I’m torn between the L series stiff and xtra stiff. I currently play kbs tour v 120 xstiff in Srixon zx7 mkII. I went to club champ and hit the L series in stiff and really really liked the feel and ball flight was a little higher, had a slight pull (that could have been the swing in me that day), but swing speed was up, ball speed, smash factor was up distance may have been a couple to no more than 5 yards longer. Swing speed was 91-93 consistently with a 6 iron. Unfortunately, they didn’t have a xstiff for me to demo but the fitter let me hit his x stiff in his miuras. Granted the miura heads are much different than the Srixon heads so I wasn’t able to get a good feel/comparison to the stiff. 

End result, fitter suggested i go xstiff based on swing speed and pulls. He thinks x will straighten ball flight out, tighten up dispersion and flight. I just don’t want anything too stout or boardy (think c tapers or project x rifle 6.5)

my question is, has anyone been caught in this dilemma? Choosing between stiff and xstiff? Any thoughts? 

thanks, playas! 

Hardstep an S flex or soft Step and X flex - i dont think you can go wrong with either, depending if you want more or less "load". They are certainly stouter than any KBS shaft but the C Taper 130.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Golfguru14 said:

thanks, playas! 

Depending on tempo , hearing your numbers ,you'd probably be happier with X or X soft stepped. The CB profile of the L Series , I'd rather soft step a flex up rather than hard step a flex down. But, keep in mind , when these are built , they swing weight on a scale rather light so if you desire a heavier static weight , the tip weights may change the feel of load and release a bit too. 

While swinging the fitters X , you should have gathered that the handle doesn't feel like 130x or 6.5's , but rather more like a PX 6.2 if that makes sense.

I'm slightly faster than you with the 6i , and I play 5's but could have played the 6's , just weren't out to be had when I did my original build last year. I love both and they will go nowhere. I have played PX 6.5's and 7.0's soft stepped, along with the C Taper 130 and $ Taper 130. To me, C Taper 130x is much less stiff in the handle than PX , but probably due to a weight distribution thing. Everyone's feels are a litte different. 

What tip weights will fit?  Billy Bob's?  My guess is that it will require some boring out.

Edited by shellbmb

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

34 minutes ago, spncrn said:

@golffeen007 Can you explain this in a bit more detail? I don't fully understand this logic

Why can't you SW LAGolf shafts normally? What should be used instead of a 14" fulcrum? Why would a SW scale be off by 4 points? 

I've seen other people mention this without detail... so If there's a link to a post on this, I'm happy to read up if you don't want to type it out haha.

There are some that believe that any weight in the handle/grip area is just manipulating the SW scale but won't change playability because the weight is in the grip area. In their minds a d0 with a counterbalance shaft or heavier grip is the same as d4 with non counterbalance and 50 gram grip. I personally do not agree. I have tested both setups and those setups do not swing the same. 

• Like 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

@Wooderson Appreciate the reply - and I agree. I've played loads of 120g shafts with different balance points and the same grip weight... and they all play and SW differently. 

For other people reading misleading information on this thread....

These shafts do swingweight lighter than steel shafts because of the weight distribution and higher balance point. (source: LA Golf)

"Fooling the sw scale" is not a thing - swingweights readings are standardized.

Build them to your desired exact specs.

Edited by spncrn
  • Like 1

Sorry to come late to the party but I swing quick but I wouldn’t say like crazy speed like some of the new cats to the game. 7i is about 91 cruising and 94 at the absolute max. 

I got a set and hard stepped the 120 (4). I have always loved playing PX because I’ve been able to really take advantage of the 125g. 

personally I’ve been really happy with them, only issue was SW. Now that being fair I didn’t do myself any favors I’m playing my irons 1/4” short to the butt cap and also play a Z-cord built up to feel like a plus 4. SW came in at around C8 but, luckily I play PXGs so I just bought the proper weights to bring them back to d3

ps added some 8i numbers to show disper6933F049-6191-4F23-9A15-D0C198367C36.jpeg.3b90fdbfc1b4abacf33e864773dba40a.jpegsion 

Edited by Tommyboi95
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, oyamawk89 said:

@golffeen007

the shaft tips aren’t really sanded down - only enough to remove the finish and allow epoxy to bond. Also, not sanded down at all beyond the hosel bore depth. 

I would prefer to not have to sand down the shafts significantly. 

Any specific reason for having to have collared ferrules then?

@golffeen007

There’s a lot of give between the shaft and the top of the hosel on the Titleist irons (which are forged to receive a collared ferrule).

I’ve also snapped an LA golf A-series shaft at the hosel using a non-collared ferrule with my Titleist heads last year, so I’m not quick to use a standard ferrule again

• 1 month later...