2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ร—

Pete Cowen : "Worlds BEST golf coach TRANSFORMS my game in 25 MINUTES!!"

i*windows

Watched it yesterday.ย  Great insight from one of the best coaches in the game and shows that even good players can still have a lot to work on.ย  He looked very uncomfortable during that lesson and it was amusing that the last swing of the video, where he stays behind to practice, he reverts back to his old swing.ย  Golf is hard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ironically, I was watching a golf tip from Rory yesterday and he was talking about the drill the twist the towel in opposite directions that Pete mentions in this lesson. Rory was working with Pete around the time of the video.

ย 

It looks like when he was talking about loading the lead shoulder for the fade he was trying to get him to get the lead arm higher and more in front to just swing down for the out to in path and for the draw is was less high and a little deeper to just swing down from the inside, right? It's hard to tell what they are doing because the video is taken face on.

I logged on specifically to see if anyone was talking about this video yet, lol.

ย 

I couldn't quite follow some of what he was talking about.

ย 

1) The opposing forces in the grip. To be clear, he suggests you should apply force in your grip such that the inside of your wrists would rotate closer together?? How much force/tensions are we talking about here? Adding any tension at the wrists is the opposite of what I've always heard but of course I'm open to what ever he's preaching...

ย 

2) When he keeps talking about your should and shoulder muscles he's referring to the triceps, right?

ย 

I had 'aha moment' #7,105 at the range a couple days ago that specifically involved my lead triceps and then I saw this video. I figure I need to ask questions before I get too excited because I'm a real sucker for confirmation bias.

Oh man, this is brilliant stuff.ย 

ย 

"Is it drawing?"

"Yes."

"Is it a good shot?"

"Yes."

"Mmhm."

ย 

Outstanding.ย 

Edited by aenemated
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 8ยฐ LA GOLF DJย 

Titleist TS2 18ยฐ Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21ยฐ Diamana D+ย 

Titleist TSi2 24ยฐ Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8ยฐF, 56.14ยฐF, 60.04ยฐT LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

I've never understood the fascination teachers seem to have with gravity acting on the club. ย From a force point of view gravity most certainly has very little impact on a golf swing. ย Granted I'm only about 10% through the video but I've always wondered about that. ย I've heard Malaska say the same kind of thing. ย I'm no biometrics expert but I'd guess gravity is almost a negligible contribution to a golf swing dynamics. ย Am I way off here?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, badboggs said:

I've never understood the fascination teachers seem to have with gravity acting on the club. ย From a force point of view gravity most certainly has very little impact on a golf swing. ย Granted I'm only about 10% through the video but I've always wondered about that. ย I've heard Malaska say the same kind of thing. ย I'm no biometrics expert but I'd guess gravity is almost a negligible contribution to a golf swing dynamics. ย Am I way off here?

ย 

I agree on gravity but I think it has more to do with the club being in position to swing on the path you want easily, like you you want to hit a fade and have the club way behind you it takes more effort and some manipulation to swing out to in or you just hit a hold off fade from in to out path.ย 

ย 

ย 

100% agree. ย I think his best point is that at impact it is too late. ย You have to be in the right position for your body halfway down or you will never deliver the club correctly.

ย 

Too much of teaching like this is not based in any reality. ย All this talk of forces and angles. ย It is just a way for teachers to feel important and condescending in my opinion. ย If you don't have some way to measure the forces they are just talking out their @$$. ย It is certainly a hard way to learn. ย Clearly the student has no real idea what the hell Pete is saying and is just agreeing. ย It would be like someone teaching you astrology and you are just saying ya, ya ya but really you have no idea what the hell they are talking about. ย 

ย 

My favorite is when they watch the student his a shot poorly and say something like you just didn't go down enough or you used your rotation not your angle. ย WTH is up with that style of teaching?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, badboggs said:

100% agree. ย I think his best point is that at impact it is too late. ย You have to be in the right position for your body halfway down or you will never deliver the club correctly.

ย 

Too much of teaching like this is not based in any reality. ย All this talk of forces and angles. ย It is just a way for teachers to feel important and condescending in my opinion. ย If you don't have some way to measure the forces they are just talking out their @$$. ย It is certainly a hard way to learn. ย Clearly the student has no real idea what the hell Pete is saying and is just agreeing. ย It would be like someone teaching you astrology and you are just saying ya, ya ya but really you have no idea what the hell they are talking about. ย 

ย 

My favorite is when they watch the student his a shot poorly and say something like you just didn't go down enough or you used your rotation not your angle. ย WTH is up with that style of teaching?

ย 

Cowen has always kind of talked in riddles about the golf swing. I thought what he taught this guy was pretty solid though, I could see what he taught him clearing up his ball striking, could do without the riddle talk but that is just his style.

ย 

his downward release is just a more neutral release without having a weak holdoff release from the inside to prevent lefts or a strong rolling over release that can cause shots to go left.ย 

Am I crazy or does Cowan just square the club with his hips?

ย 

This sort of instruction would be lost on anybody who does not have good body motion to start with, that is, most everybody.

ย 

His idea of the grip reminds me of how I was taught in kenjutsu. ย I think the guy who taught at Riviera said the same.

ย 

When he talks about gravity, I think he means a sense of balance in which. He club feels like it is not going in one direction or another he means

57 minutes ago, stickfish said:

Anyone who manages to connect David Gilmour with golf gets a ๐Ÿ‘from

me anytime.

<><

Wish spellcheck hadnโ€™t caused me to misspell his name. Watched a documentary on Chuck Leavell this week and David Gilmour turned up

in it. The man just has a powerful presence. As does Pete Cowen.

3 hours ago, jholz said:

ย 

Anytime I read a statement like "world's best golf coach" or "transformed my game in 25 minutes" you know it's going to be about as worthwhile as watching a Jack Hamm infomercial.

ย 

For anyone who's interested, I've got a case of snake oil in my garage I'd let go for a reasonable price.

ย 

It has to be tour issue snake oil or it will never fly at golfwrx.

ย 

I'm curious who was the origin of golf instruction in the UK. ย I've met four instructors over the years that love that wind up diagonally from the ground up and unwind the club down like a spiral staircase. ย Is weird, never seen that on this side of the pond as they say. ย Did it come from Cowen???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualLie said:

ย 

It has to be tour issue snake oil or it will never fly at golfwrx.

ย 

I'm curious who was the origin of golf instruction in the UK. ย I've met four instructors over the years that love that wind up diagonally from the ground up and unwind the club down like a spiral staircase. ย Is weird, never seen that on this side of the pond as they say. ย Did it come from Cowen???

ย 

That is a highly intriguing question that I, unfortunately, couldn't even begin to answer. Perhaps someone else on here can however, and I'd be interested to know it.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, jholz said:

ย 

That is a highly intriguing question that I, unfortunately, couldn't even begin to answer. Perhaps someone else on here can however, and I'd be interested to know it.

I don't know if Pete Cowen originated the idea of the spiral staircase, but he (& those he is working with like Stenson) are the only people I've heard reference it. It is a striking image.

• Like 1

if you look at that guys YouTube you will see that he swings really inside and flat on the backswing and his arms get stuck behind him, he came to him with inconsistent ballstriking which is fairly easy to see why. I think Cowen gave him some good advice, he got him getting his hands higher and more in front to hit some fades which he needed to neutralize him out, was based on ballflight instead of looking at everything on camera and he got results. I mean, there isn't much more you can ask out of a 25 minute lesson really. I thought he ended the lesson pretty fast though, should of kept letting Cowen watch over and end it when he was done. I just think he was nervous.

Edited by MK7Golf21
  • Like 3