Ping PLD Milled Tyne 4 Or Cameron 2022 Phantom X 5.5?

clfergus

I pre-ordered a milled Tyne 4 awhile back and it is set to be delivered on Saturday. Today, I opened up my email to see the new Pre-Order for the Phantom X 2022 lineup.

Tempted to hold on to the Ping until I can see the Cameron in person. Anyone have any thought on either aside from the color combo they seem the same. I would be switching from an odyssey o-works so either feel wise is gonna be a change for me.

The Tyne 4 is a smaller mallet head the X5.5 is going to be a bit bigger, feel should be pretty similar. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I have rolled both and in my opinion the Tyne feels a little softer.

• Like 2

Vessel XV Cart White
Ping G430 Max 12* Ventus TR 5R

Ping G430 Max 3W Ventus Red 6R

Ping G425 4/5/6 Hybrid Regular 
Ping I525 7-U Alta Slate Stiff+1/4 Blue Dot Dot
Ping Glide 4.0 52/56/60 Steelfiber F3 +1/4 Blue Dot
LAB DF 2.1 Blue 35.5 67* 

Titleist Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star

I had the x 5.5 last year version and currently have PLD but smooth face. Love the feedback and roll on ping over Titleist. Also more compact and the murdered out look is confidence inspiring to me. 

• Like 1

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Agree with above posters, the Tyne is very compact especially when compared to X5.5. Feel wise should be similar, I own an X5.5 but have only rolled the Tyne with plastic on. I almost bought it on spot, but my gamer is a Toulon Las Vegas that treats me too well. The Tyne is so small it would take some getting used to, and I am familiar enough with X5.5 already… Vegas is a fox middle ground. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ordered the Ping as I love my Ping driver and fairways and always wanted the Tyne shape. I wasn't crazy about the all black look and the 5.5 just caught my eye. I currently rotate between a Cameron Square back 2 and a Mizuno M.Craft IV so this will be a change for me. I'll roll the Ping indoors and see how it feels before thinking about a swap at PGASS.

I know this is the easy answer, but it's personal preference. I really dislike almost everything scotty, but the 5.5 is really nice. Personally, I'd take the PING aswell. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

For me, the finish was the decision factor. After a few murderout putters, the classic finish is what sell me on the scotty. However, i will never be a fan of a velcro cover. All ears on possible option! 

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

1 hour ago, clfergus said:

I agree, the murdered out look is not my style. Another thing that has me concerned about the Tyne is no bottom weight option. With my M.Craft, it came with 3 weight options and I was shocked that the heavy weights felt best to me. With the Tyne I can't tinker.

What weight did you settle on?

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

On 3/31/2022 at 9:12 AM, clfergus said:

I pre-ordered a milled Tyne 4 awhile back and it is set to be delivered on Saturday. Today, I opened up my email to see the new Pre-Order for the Phantom X 2022 lineup.

Tempted to hold on to the Ping until I can see the Cameron in person. Anyone have any thought on either aside from the color combo they seem the same. I would be switching from an odyssey o-works so either feel wise is gonna be a change for me.

I haven't seen the new Scotty lineup, but I also have a Tyne on order and have rolled the previous Phantom 5.5.  I have owned the 2021 Tyne and the PLD non milled Tyne.  I would like the give the Phantom another go but I LOVED the Tynes, reason why I ordered the PLD this time around.  The non milled looked great but I didn't love the feel without face milling.  And the 2021 Tyned was great for me but the insert was a bit soft and was really tough to judge speed with on faster greens, so my hope is that the new PLD is somewhere in between those two.  I liked the feel of the Phantom but the size in comparison was a little off putting.  I can get past it I think, but I seem to hit the Tyne shape very accurately, so my hopes are high that it will be a long term option.  

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Tyne PLD if you received it!!

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

21 hours ago, chadly643 said:

I think the most substantive difference is the alignment line. I really like the line on the top of the blade instead of the flange. For me that means the Cameron. I’m very pleased with my PX5.5. It’s really going to come down to slight preferences. 

This exactly!   I really like a top line so I wish Ping would have done that, even as an option.  

Ok, the Tyne 4 PLD Milled came yesterday. I was totally taken back by the size of the head. Way smaller than I was anticipating as compared to the Tyne I rolled in the store. On this point, I think the size and look of the head is a total winner. I have attached a few pics of it compared to my Special Select Squareback 2 and my gamer from 20 years ago the steel answer 2. 

Feel wise...ehh I was a little disappointed. It is for sure not bad but nothing remarkable for 449.00. My Squareback 2 is softer in my opinion, so is my M.Craft. I think where this putter excels for me is the look at address and the weight. It has a really nice balance, I noticed how smooth I am able to take the putter away. 

Feel to me if not the most important thing. I am 6-8 handicap and if I struggle is usually with tempo and take away. I think this putter will help me in that regard.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

After trying the Milled Tyne 4 this weekend, I would go with it over the Scotty Cameron.  I prefer the feel of the PING, but wish a top site line was an option.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

3 hours ago, jah7838 said:

After trying the Milled Tyne 4 this weekend, I would go with it over the Scotty Cameron.  I prefer the feel of the PING, but wish a top site line was an option.  

Fill in the flange line with black paint hobby and get a roll of pinstripe tape and make a top line. Would be like $20 total for you. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I was able to roll the 22’ 5.5 today and the milled Tyne 4 back to back, I went in with the intention of leaving with the ping today. For me personally I felt the ping was a little smaller for my preference and a higher pitched tone off the face then the Scotty. I loved the way it’s complete look was. The weight at 360 felt really nice and so did the grip. I just felt like the mis hits with the Scotty felt better and I like that I can go up in weight as well if I decide to cut down. I ended up holding off till the 15th to get the new 5.5 for now. I also didn’t know that the ping head was made in China. I thought for sure it would have been milled in the US. The shaft and assembly was usa. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2022 at 9:20 AM, BeachsideGolfer said:

I was able to roll the 22’ 5.5 today and the milled Tyne 4 back to back, I went in with the intention of leaving with the ping today. For me personally I felt the ping was a little smaller for my preference and a higher pitched tone off the face then the Scotty. I loved the way it’s complete look was. The weight at 360 felt really nice and so did the grip. I just felt like the mis hits with the Scotty felt better and I like that I can go up in weight as well if I decide to cut down. I ended up holding off till the 15th to get the new 5.5 for now. I also didn’t know that the ping head was made in China. I thought for sure it would have been milled in the US. The shaft and assembly was usa. 

So the new milled series PING PLD are milled in CHINA 😞 I thought also that they would be milled in the USA like the other PLD limited editions I have (The Bruzer and PLD3 mallet) That is disappointing to say the least and here in Aus they are $799 😞 Can someone confirm and post a picture of the shat sticker which tells you where the bits are made??? I have ordered two and will return them if that is the case.

14 hours ago, BeachsideGolfer said:

So its probably a true temper Shaft in there, assembled in AZ….IMO $449 retail seems a little steep for a head that’s milled in China.

I dont play any OTR putters currently, all customs, but could you explain what makes a $450 Scotty milled in the USA better quality, or a better putter?

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I’m gaming a 5.5 and the Ping is very tempting. If it wasn’t for the colors below the Ping I would have probably had one already. Good to know about the head size as well. Would not have expected that. Can’t wait to hear all the feedback on the 2022 Phantom line. 5.5 looks identical except for a different bottom plate.